Coronation Street

• Please log in to reply

1424 replies to this topic

starrynight5

starrynight5

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:55 AM

Hi! I'm new to this thread but have been a long-time Corrie lover. I just thought I'd cross-post this from the GH thread:

Coronation Street viewers will be seeing a change in the long-running soap this year, as producers replace sexy sirens with veteran actors in upcoming storylines.

The programme's younger babes – such as starlets Samie Ghadie, Nikki Sanderson and Tina O'Brien – will be seen less in the series, while golden oldies including Barbara Knox and Eileen Derbyshire have been told they will be major players in emerging plots.

Apparently, the minds behind Corrie – led by a new producer, Tony Wood –believe they have alienated the show's hardcore fan base by putting too much emphasis on the sultry up-and-comers.

"The established stars are very firm favourites in most households, but this has been slightly neglected in recent years," said an insider. "The previous boss wanted to promote the youngsters, and perhaps the real characters got left behind."

Them Brits are smart people.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 1:32 PM

Maria is a starlet? I always thought she was a homely thing. Anyway, good for them giving Rita and Emily more screen time. Just no more Gail. Hopefully the "less Sarah" means "no Gail."

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 9:06 PM

If they're going to make Rita less of a caricature and more of a character, they NEED to do something about her helmet-hair. It's ridiculous looking - almost as bad as Bet's.

burping frog

burping frog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:32 PM

(For me its not so much the orange helmet, as the liquid eyeliner. Yikes!)

I wouldn't mind Rita having a storyline, and I'm in my twenties. She hasn't had anything to do ever since that last husband of hers died a few years ago. Well, from time to time she gets to tell off Sally, which satisfies me no end as I hate Sally, but thats about it.

Whos Eileen Derbyshire? Emily? She always annoys me a bit. Stop rolling those eyes and giving loud long-suffering sighs whenever Norris speaks! If you don't like him, ask him to move out! She is made of tough stuff, though, so I guess she's interesting.

I love Blanche. She's good value for money, with her sucking-a-lemon face. She says the most awful things.

Edited by burping frog, Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:34 PM.

angspar

angspar

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:10 PM

Delurking....

I have been watching Corrie for about a year on CBC ( I live in the US near the Canadian border).

I have been a Days of Our Lives viewer for 30 years (my grandma had it on while babysitting us. And while I am not a 'young viewer' I am still well in the 18-49 demographic sponsors crave). During the last 90 days 4 longtime veterans with approximately 120 years combined with the show have been fired. This literally sickens me.

You go Coronation Street. I for one LOVE: Fred, Audrey, Archie, Blanche, Rita the Duckworths etc etc etc. I'm closer in age to Sally, Karen, Dev et al, but it's the seniors who make Corrie such fun!

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 1:33 PM

Whos Eileen Derbyshire? Emily?

Yes, Emily. They at least owe her a storyline, since she's been on since nearly day one. I wouldn't mind them bringing up her nervous breakdown again. I know they already did it once, when she was about to get engaged, but that was before my viewing time.

C76

C76

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 2:25 PM

At last!

[sarcasm]All my Corrie wishes are coming true![/sarcasm]

I'm a newbie, and I want to say thanks to you guys. Really. Your posts have filled in the gaps between what I see on TV (CBC) and the hints my mom gives me (she reads the previews on corrie.net).

So, Sarah's pregnant. I've been waiting for this. *C76 gleefully rubs her hands together* I figured it was only a matter of time, what with the way she's been fooling around, flaunting her relationship in front of her mother. I kept thinking "You, girl, are waaaaaaay too happy." We all know what hella happy means in soapland: Something's about to go hella wrong. And Martin's going to start dating his neighbour's daughter? Eeeeeeeeeeesh. (Sorry. I can't remember her name. Only that over the past few weeks I've been saying "they're gonna get themselves in trouble". What with all that "platonic" close contact. Then last week or so, senorita kissed him. And I saw Curly kick Emma out the other morning. I was ha-ppy.

Does anyone know how far behind the episodes are on CBC? I'm able to tell whenever a holiday episode comes up, but never remember. Is it about 4 months?

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 2:34 PM

I think Canada is about 5 1/2 months behind Britain.

burping frog

burping frog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:39 AM

I wouldn't mind them bringing up her nervous breakdown again. I know they already did it once, when she was about to get engaged

Is that storyline the one with that famous clip that gets shown every time there's a Corrie retrospective on T.V.? She's been jilted at the altar, and she's fairly young, and she's wearing a wedding dress in someones living room, and she's saying "I've been....such a fool" all stunned and stuff. But its obviously during the sixties, as the film is all black and white and grainy, and she's only in her early thirties, so if its then you're thinking of, I doubt they'd revisit a storyline that old. I can't remember her having a nervous breakdown in recent times, but I forget loads of things, so I could be wrong.

She went to the rescue last night though, up on top of the church roof. It was a bit ludicrous the way that she and Norris just spontaeneously went charging to the rescue, and she just happened to look up at the steeple at the last second. Actually, the whole religious nutter thing is a bit ludicrous, but I'll still be watching.

anspar, thats terrible about DOOL. I hate that sort of thing. I know producers shouldn't be obliged to employ people until they retire, but firing four people in a short time is brutal both for cast and viewer morale.

Edited by burping frog, Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:47 AM.

Blairish

Blairish

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 6:01 AM

Bit of news on the Todd front,

His boyfriend has been cast and will appear for the 1st time next Friday. His name is Karl Foster and he works in the same hospital as Todd, he's a nurse or something.

Anyway, Todd meets and falls for him just after he's proposed to Sarah and told her he wants to adopt Bethany. D'oh!

Edited by Blairish, Jan 6, 2004 @ 9:25 AM.

burping frog

burping frog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 9:30 AM

About friggin' time! I've been waiting for developments on that front for ages. And I don't feel one bit sorry for Sarah, though I thought I would. Honestly, her getting pregnant again tore it for me. You'd think the girl would be Queen Birth Control, but she's only been shagging him for a few months and she gets knocked up again. I know accidents happen, but thats what the morning after pill is for! And she's been pissing me off in general with her Surly Stompy Flouncy Shrieking Teen act. Sometimes I find myself shouting "Slap her, Todd!" at the screen.

Edited by burping frog, Jan 6, 2004 @ 9:37 AM.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:29 AM

burping frog, I think she was jilted by Leonard Swindley in the '60s, but no, that wasn't what I was thinking of. Around 1992 or so, her lodger, Percy, realized she was acting funny and it led up to her having a nervous breakdown. Two years after that, she was engaged to be married and the guy left her after finding out about her breakdown.

burping frog

burping frog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:49 AM

Oh, I don't remember that at all! *slaps wrist* Actually, until you mentioned his name, I'd totally forgotten about Percy. Miserable old git.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:08 PM

Emily was always so prim and proper and traditional. I mean, she didn't lose her virginity until she was 37.

billabonged

billabonged

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 4:39 PM

I really like Crazy-Grandma-On-Church storyline.
Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of focusing more on the OAPs? I know it's the nature of Corrie but I reckon it'll lead to more "oh dear me bathroom's flooded" type storylines, as opposed to cliffhangers etc.

Edited by billabonged, Jan 6, 2004 @ 4:41 PM.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:49 PM

"oh dear me bathroom's flooded" type storylines

Somehow, that reminded me of Mavis. I do wish they'd bring back Mavis.

burping frog

burping frog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 5:15 AM

Oh, dear old Mavis, clutching at her pearls - 'cept I don't think she ever had pearls. She was such a wet hen. I actually think Norris is a pretty good Mavis substitute, since he's more of an old woman than any of the actual old women.

I understand your concern, billabonged. Its possible we'll get a lot of boring storylines about building an extension or something, especially with Deeply Irritating Dodgy Cowboy Builder Charlie about. I see a rash of home-improvements that turn to TRADGEDY! coming on.

Edited by burping frog, Jan 7, 2004 @ 5:16 AM.

billabonged

billabonged

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:16 PM

I felt sorry for Mad Grandma tonight. Honestly, why can't I remember her name eh? Still, much drama - "thou shalt not kill!" and Fizz is apparently a Joy Division fan.
Norris makes me laugh, "I may lend, you may ...?" (that is him isn't it) heh.

KarrieK

KarrieK

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 5:30 PM

Heh, wonder if they're gonna play "Holding Out for a Hero" next time Emily enters the Rovers? (reference to EastEnders earlier this week...)

burping frog

burping frog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 5:22 AM

Emily kicked ass. At first I was all "why does boring Emily have to be the one?", but then she busted out all her bible quotation skillz and I got it. That girl who plays Sarah is so over the top though. Could she open her mouth any wider when she talks?

Pink Mayuri

Pink Mayuri

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 11:17 PM

Why is Todd gay all of a sudden? It doesn't seem like something you could see coming.

Does Nick leave again?

Does Sarah have the baby?

Oh, and this morning's omnibus mentioned that they're in mid-May on our Canuck re-runs, which would make us about eight months behind.

Edited by Pink Mayuri, Jan 12, 2004 @ 11:54 PM.

billabonged

billabonged

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:01 PM

Todd's probably gay because the producers thought it would be good to have a gay character for a variety of reasons- publicity and therefore ratings, realism, etc.
Looks like Sarah's having the baby.
Don't think Nick is leaving. Have you heard something?! *crosses fingers*

holdencaulfield2003

holdencaulfield2003

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 3:08 PM

I was just reading a british women's magazine and they had an interview with Ade Edmondson and he said that hisbiggest professional regret was not accepting an offer of a part on Coronation Street. He was to play the part of a boyfriend of Gail's while Brian was away. Methinks it was the part of Ian Latimer.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 9:48 PM

Yeah, that had to be it. Gail didn't cheat on Brian any other time. I knew she got close but she never actually did it with anyone else but Ian.

Would it be plausible to go back into the storyline and make a shocking revelation in which it was discovered that Brian really wasn't the father of Sarah like the tests showed, but Ian Latimer was? Or is that too American of a plot device?

Edited by TheCustomOfLife, Jan 13, 2004 @ 9:50 PM.

holdencaulfield2003

holdencaulfield2003

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 8:52 PM

http://members.lycos...Karl1_small.jpg

Here's a pic with Todd's new love, on it. He starts out with Martin first, who doesn't know about Karl.

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 9:03 PM

Karl definitely looks gay enough. And what do you mean "Starts out with Martin?" First Gail, then Katy, and now this? God, Martin can't get any girl his own age, can he?

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 4:32 AM

Well the photo has both the Todd's new man, Martin and Katy.

Perhaps Martin fancies being 'Lucky Pierre'?

Edited by Gulftastic, Jan 16, 2004 @ 4:32 AM.

burping frog

burping frog

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 5:53 AM

Ugh! He's all pasty and skinny! Seriously, couldn't they have got an attractive gay man? I mean I could see Todd fancying Nick, but this guy??

Blairish

Blairish

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 6:28 AM

Yeah, but that's only one wee picture - you simply can't judge from that. We'll find out tonight what he looks like in the flesh.

No, Martin's not taking a walk on the wild side, Katy becomes friendly with Karl and Martin starts worrying that he's after her (implying that Karl isn't out at work)

billabonged

billabonged

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 3:06 PM

Karl looks like pure Coronation St.
Fucking hell Cilla is EVIL. I haven't been watching this soap for long and she is amazingly without shame!
"Not America, Florida."