Music Videos

• Please log in to reply

19677 replies to this topic

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

I had never really thought that "Look at Me Now" was so unique as I could consider another song to have ripped it off. Surprise surprise.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Is the Insufferable Karmin Run Already Over?

Edited by yearoftheroostr, May 12, 2012 @ 10:05 PM.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

Nicki Minaj feat. Chris Brown - Right By My Side. Nas and Nicki? Crack pairing.

Billie Jean

Billie Jean

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

I'm not even a huge Nas fan but I kept waiting for him to spit a few verses. Totally forgettable song though. All Nicki's songs sound the same. She is the black Katy Perry, just with a tiny bit more talent. Please go away now.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

I cannot imagine what Nas would have said on that track and not have it seem out of place or highlight just how mediocre the song is.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Rest in Peace, Donna Summer

Though she rose to prominence right before the dawn of the music era, she was one of the first Black female artists to get major airplay on MTV. I'll even take it a step further and say that every single female music video star - past and present - owes a huge debt to her.

SteakHead

SteakHead

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

Donna Summer. I dont think she had many videos in the mTV era. She had a hit in the late 80s. But yeah, I am not holding my breath expecting VH1 or VH1 classic in paying any tribute to her. So many dead singer stars in recent months. And very little from these garbage channels. I think Bad Girls was early MTV era.

Edited by SteakHead, May 17, 2012 @ 3:41 PM.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

David Banner feat. Chris Brown - Amazing. I think this is the first stop-motion video in awhile.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 6:34 AM

It is just that her(Nicki) facial expressions could give children nightmares.

Edited by RL1, May 18, 2012 @ 9:54 AM.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

May seems to be the month for musical performers dying.

David Banner feat. Chris Brown - Amazing. I think this is the first stop-motion video in awhile.

The Beastie Boys did one a few months ago for their recent album, though there was no faces thing that I remember. The video seems to be begging for people to spoof it.

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:58 AM

RIP Robin Gibb.

shego219

shego219

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

Also RIP Peter Jones, the drummer from Crowded House. :(

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

May really is the month.

Someone made 8-bit covers of two Radiohead albums. Some of the results are silly and annoying, but there are genuinely enjoyable ones.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Kelly Clarkson - Dark Side. I like the song, the video is just generic anti-bullying/uplifting stuff.

Chris Brown - Sweet Love. He directed this as well, as you can tell. Basic R&B stuff, but I did like the part with he and a few other male dancers were dancing for the ladies all sexily. Not because I found it sexy, but I thought it was interesting that there was some objectification role reversal, just for a few seconds. At least I think so.

Edited by MegaJ, May 25, 2012 @ 11:54 AM.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

Wow, you mean Kelly Clarkson has a song which isn't about a man doing her wrong?

AD35

AD35

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

Donna Summer. I dont think she had many videos in the mTV era. She had a hit in the late 80s. But yeah, I am not holding my breath expecting VH1 or VH1 classic in paying any tribute to her. So many dead singer stars in recent months. And very little from these garbage channels. I think Bad Girls was early MTV era.

She made a modest number of videos at best during the 80's from what I can remember. She Works Hard For The Money of course, Unconditional Love, There Goes My Baby, Dinner With Gershwin, This Time I Know It's For Real and Love's About To Change My Heart. She might have done one for When Loves Cries since it was the lead single for the last album she would release for 17 years.

Edited by AD35, May 26, 2012 @ 11:26 AM.

21bored

21bored

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

There must be some kind of genius at work with Chris Brown. Ever since the whole Rihanna thing, not only has he lost any sense of boyish charm, but he's gone full-on R. Kelly-popped collar/R&B lothario with tattoos all over the place. I don't know who told him he can't really sell the good-guy image anymore, but that was a good idea. Because it seems like each song I hear from him is dirtier and more "offensive" than the last.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

Jay-Z and Kanye West - No Church In The Wild. The Illuminati comments at the bottom make me cry. Such an old meme.

Chantal Claret - Bite Your Tongue. I'm ashamed I only know this song due to big Degrassi promo.

Chris Brown feat. Wiz Khalifa and Big Sean - Till I Die. This was actually a lot of fun! Less thug/bad boy stuff and more stupid, silly shit Chris, please.

Florence and the Machine - Spectrum. She gives up the hipster racism that was in that last video, thankfully. Nice visuals, I like the song.

Adam Lambert - Never Close Our Eyes. The beginning of the song started off okay before the stupid Guetta/electropop shit. Can not wait from that trend to end. The video is nothing special.

dcnative

dcnative

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 11:07 AM

I love Jill Scott's latest song, and the feel of the video, but what's up with all the blatant product placement? I hope it's not becoming the trend in vids.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

Ever since the whole Rihanna thing, not only has he lost any sense of boyish charm, but he's gone full-on R. Kelly-popped collar/R&B lothario with tattoos all over the place. I don't know who told him he can't really sell the good-guy image anymore, but that was a good idea.

I honestly saw this coming from a mile away (at least when it became clear to me that the industry wasn't about to put one of their cash cows out to pasture).

21bored

21bored

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

I honestly saw this coming from a mile away (at least when it became clear to me that the industry wasn't about to put one of their cash cows out to pasture).

Yeah, you're right about that.

In other news, I'm loving Gotye's Somebody That I Used to Know. The video is a little artsy, but it just feels so adult. I'm so glad it's in Top 40 rotation. Bookended up against "Birthday Cake" and "Domino" and "Boyfriend" and "Part of Me" and all this other shit, it sounds so mature and adult...like it was written well-aware of the fact that people over the age of 30 exist and might listen to the radio.

Two things. One, this might make me sound weird, but that song sounds like it was written in another language then translated to English. Maybe it's because Gotye is Australian and the lyrics sound mature and thoughtful, but it sounds like it could've been a French song before he recorded it in English. He even looks kinda French.

Other thing is, am I the only person who, by the time the chick comes in, doesn't believe a single word out of her whore mouth? I really can relate to the line "I told myself that you were right for me/But felt so lonely in your company/But that was love and it's an ache I still remember" He really pulls you in and then she just becomes the cruel bitch who left him. Maybe that was the point of the song, but either way, it's nice to be able to think about a song for a change. The rest of the shit on the radio has no substance.

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

Isn't Kimbra's "character" in the song supposed to be a current girlfriend, rather than the one he's singing about? That's how I always interpreted it.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

Two things. One, this might make me sound weird, but that song sounds like it was written in another language then translated to English. Maybe it's because Gotye is Australian and the lyrics sound mature and thoughtful, but it sounds like it could've been a French song before he recorded it in English. He even looks kinda French.

He is Belgian-Australian. French is his first language.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

I wish Guetta would just go away. All his music is just electro pop crap! Is he is trying to be the next Giorgio Moroder? Please....his music is very same-y and boring.

Edited by RL1, Jun 4, 2012 @ 2:01 PM.

shego219

shego219

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

Coldplay and Rihanna's music video for "Princess of China" was finally released (I only say "finally" because it seems like the song's been out for a while, not because of any scheduling delays). I have to say, this is the first time I've ever thought of Chris Martin as hot. He's never been bad to look at but something about him in this video is really working for me. I also have to wonder where the rest of Coldplay is.

As for Rihanna, I liked her better in "Where Have You Been Better." I thought that video was fantastic, and while "Princess" is good it pales when I compare the two.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

Coldplay and Rihanna's music video for "Princess of China" was finally released (I only say "finally" because it seems like the song's been out for a while, not because of any scheduling delays).

Perhaps they were waiting to release it just before the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Massacre.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

Since I'm a Coldplay fan, the video could have used way less Rhianna and way more Chris for me.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Kanye West ft. Big Sean, Pusha T, and 2 Chainz - Mercy. 2 Chainz is like, on every song...

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

Perhaps, but it is Big Sean who annoys me the most.

That one part about halfway through, with the woman pulling at her skirt. I don't know if that was supposed to be sexy, but it looked to me that she was trying to shoo away the guy.

21bored

21bored

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

I know this is kind of old, but I listened to "Express" by Christina Aguilera and it's just now striking me how...fierce she sounds on that record. I think it's the combination of the low-key groove of the beat mixed with her powering through the verses. She sounds slightly pissed off, so she's pushing that shit out. I wasn't a big fan of it when it first came out, and her live performances of it seem a little limp and winded, but this is probably Top 5 in terms of her singles.