Music Videos

• Please log in to reply

19677 replies to this topic

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

Karmin took a beating on the SNL thread. I love them. They're fun and they really seem to pull off exactly what you described. Apparently the girl hails from small-town Nebraska. I'm guessing she really wanted to get the heck out of there!

Yikes. I hope that they didn't bomb like Lana Del Rey did, as I'd hate to think that their upbeat energy in their videos doesn't translate well live.

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

They didn't bomb like Lana did, but personally I found their performance to be obnoxious. I just have little patience for theatre kids bopping around and mugging the camera like morons.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Rita Ora aka Diet Rihanna - How We Do (Party and Bullshit). Nope, still don't care.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

Rita Ora aka Diet Rihanna - How We Do (Party and Bullshit). Nope, still don't care.

I doubt that The Last Poets care much for it either.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:50 AM

Whatever happened to VH1 Classic with that Hoffman chick? She was better than most of those VJs there. She had a fun personality to boot and allowed you to play music videos on Request Live(what became of that?). I remember when VH1 Classic was good from 2002 to when Hoffman left VH1 Classic. When she left, it was all downhill from there. Plus, their commercials are overkill. It use to be good, but they changed their format so much, it became relatively unwatchable at this point. And it use to be commercial free then, but not anymore. Sad....oh, well.

Edited by RL1, Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:54 AM.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Chester French - Black Girls (NSFW). I like the song and the video...it's steamy.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

That Chester French song sounds like garden variety hipster racism set to song. Since I'm well over Black women being used as a punchline or depicted as someone's fetish, this video gets two thumbs down from me.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Foster The People- Houdini

The dorky dancing is ace! If only I have not been in 1983, I probably want to dance like that. And don't laugh. I actually think this is one of the catchiest songs out there. Weird video, but it had a point: The music industry controls you.

shego219

shego219

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

Nicki Minaj's video for "Starships" is out, and it's not as crazy as I thought it would be so that's... something. It's still weird, I just thought it would be weirder. I'm not going to lie, the song is one of my favorites out there right now. Also, does anyone else's local radio station bleep "Onika" during the second verse of that song? On the one hand I understand why they do it (because the way she says it sounds somewhat like the N-word), but on the other hand it irrationally ticks me off since it's just her name. *shrugs*

I laughed more than was probably appropriate, so that was great -- wonder if it's also a commentary on the holo-Tupac stunt (the music industry will make you perform even after you're dead!). I agree that it's "one of the catchiest songs out there," and it somewhat makes up for the fact that I still want to bash my own face in any time I hear "Pumped Up Kicks."

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 1:17 AM

Karmin took a beating on the SNL thread. I love them.

Karmin did fine on SNL, it's just the usual internet hater-pressed-ness.

Starships grew on me like a bad rash. I guess I can't really hate on Nicki doing pop-rap, the song is pretty catchy (particularly the dance break portions). Also the video is pretty cool, like how the men are also skimpily dressed. Can't with that green wig.

Esperanza Spalding - Black Gold. Good, uplifting video.

And on the opposite side of the spectrum, Ashanti - The Woman You Love. Someone hook this girl up with some decent producers.

Edited by MegaJ, Apr 29, 2012 @ 1:20 AM.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

I feel bad now for Ashanti. She has to compete with the other hot artists like Rhianna, Lady Gaga, and the whole like. But it was her own fault for not staying in the game.

Kalina Ann

Kalina Ann

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

Kevin Richardson of The Backstreet Boys is returning to the group...permanently!

http://perezhilton.c...reet-boys-album

Also, A.J. and his wife are expecting their first child!

One Direction, The (un)Wanted, and now BSB...hmm. All of these boygroups are starting to make me feel nostalgic for the mid-'90s and early-'00s.

shego219

shego219

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:53 PM

One Direction, The (un)Wanted, and now BSB...hmm. All of these boygroups are starting to make me feel nostalgic for the mid-'90s and early-'00s.

That reminds me (for better or worse) of this Buzzfeed article my friend just sent me. I lost it around #14 -- oh nostalgia... Also, Kevin's return to BSB makes me feel warmer and fuzzier than I thought possible (even though I was more of an NYSNC girl growing up).

Edited by shego219, Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:53 PM.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

Rihanna - Where Have You Been. There's actual choreography! My one complaint is that the video doesn't really build to the part beat finally drops, which is lame because I'm sure when listening to the song for the first time, when the beat drops I'm sure most listeners were like "OH SNAP!"

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

Is NKOTB and Backstreet Boys doing a film concert together or something just now?

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

Pfft...first they nick the melody from this song for their gun song and now they use a bunch of Kuroko to prop them up when they are dead. Bruno Mars, those Linkin Park guys, the Far East Movement, and Norah Jones are pretty much the only Asian American musical acts of anything resembling prominence at the moment, but these guys can just get a bunch of invisible Asians on a whim in order to maintain the fantasy that beloved Dead White Men are still alive.

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

Here is a new video from Willow Smith.

Willow Smith - Do It Like Me

I find her to be very irritating & there is nothing special or unique about her. This is definitely just as horrible as Whip My Hair.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:59 AM

I still think "Whip My Hair" worse.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

Justin Bieber - Boyfriend. Apparently, there were two videos shot...the first part of the video was the original one (directed by Colin Tilley) and was scrapped and then replaced with this one. Probably because it was too sexual, and this new one is more age appropriate.

Edited by MegaJ, May 3, 2012 @ 10:36 PM.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

RIP, MCA from The Beastie Boys.

Since I was a bigger fan of their videos - especially Sabotage - than their actual songs, I thought it appropriate to post the sad news here.

SteakHead

SteakHead

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 5:54 PM

Noooo. Not Adam Yauch. Why not take Beiber. Why not one of those Backstreet Boys.

Well MTV Hits at least had some sense to play their videos in the evening. But there is no channel where you can read up on entertainment news of musician deaths unless they are superstars or in some scandal. MTV Networks have gutted all their news staff. I dont even know what Loder's official position is these days. I am old enough when MTV would actually have short news breaks. It would have been nice to have interviews of other musicians about the death on VH1 or MTV. VH1 is busy showing some garbage reality show. VH1 Classic continues to show how uselss it is. No tribute blocks.

Billie Jean

Billie Jean

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

I am old enough to remember when MTV actually had a half hour nightly block of MTV news. It irks me that lame reality reruns take priority over remembering fallen music artists. Without stars like Whitney and the Beastie Boys that were influential in drawing viewers in, there would be no MTV for the disgusting Jersey Shore to are on.

God, I miss my old-school MTV.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:42 PM

To my knowledge, "Sabotage" is one of the only Beastie Boys songs that focuses heavily on one member and gets a video. I could not find any video of a Beastie Boys song focusing on MCA, but here are a few songs that I could find off of the internet: Stand Together, The Update, Bodhisattva Vow, Resolution Time, I Don't Know.

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

It was very disheartening to hear about MCA from the Beastie Boys passing away yesterday. They're part of the reason why hip-hop is popular today & he will certainly be missed.

It is also very sad that Hip-Hop today is mostly garbage today. I'm not sure that a Beastie Boys type group would of made it big today given today's current music climate. Compare to absolute crap like Flo-Rida with some no-talent nobody singing this (sadly) current hit, the Beastie Boys are absolute geniuses. Flo-Rida will never ever be a legend & a hip-hop icon like the Beastie Boys.

Flo-Rida & Sia - Wild Ones

Edited by Magog, May 5, 2012 @ 10:47 AM.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

I am old enough when MTV would actually have short news breaks. It would have been nice to have interviews of other musicians about the death on VH1 or MTV. VH1 is busy showing some garbage reality show. VH1 Classic continues to show how uselss it is. No tribute blocks.

No kidding! I went to MTV.com on my ipod yesterday to check out the MCA news, and literally it as Pauly D's ridiculous tan mug everywhere I looked. I couldn't find anything on the homepage app at all.

Edited by Deanie87, May 5, 2012 @ 2:11 PM.

SteakHead

SteakHead

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

I understand the Beastie Boys fan base is no longer in the MTV demographics. But what the hell is their sister network VH1 doing? The kind of trash that is on VH1 is an embarrassment to a first world country.

The latest R&R HOF moved from VH1 to FUSE a couple of years ago. Now it's not even on FUSE. It's on HBO tonight(incidentally, MCA couldnt accept as he was obvious;ly very sick when it happened). Shouldn't VH1 be the natural successor for the 80s and 90s band news? Instead VH1 is probably even more immature. VH1's last music related brainchild was the Behind the Music series. And while I realize youtube is where fans get together now to express their feeling about a band and is the defactor music channel now, there is still room for old school media. Sirius Radio had their backspin and Alt Music channels dedicate tribute live call-in blocks for the death of MCA and they got a ton of calls. I remember when Kurt Cobain died, MTV was the place to watch all the news to get some closure. FUSE is really blowing a chance to get some viewers with their poor production quality of shows and their lack of nimbleness in dealing with breaking news.

BTW, I am one of the few who got tired of the Sabotage video a long time ago. It was fun for a couple of times. I still love HEY LADIES and NO SLEEP TILL BROOKLYN. Those two videos had something fun to discuss in every scene. Not to mention Sure Shot with DJ Hurricane mugging for the camera.

Edited by SteakHead, May 5, 2012 @ 4:48 PM.

Billie Jean

Billie Jean

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

Shouldn't VH1 be the natural successor for the 80s and 90s band news?

Hah. VH1 stopped being a music channel for 20 and 30 somethings right around the time MTV stopped being a music channel. VH1 Classic really should've had an appropriate tribute. Beastie Boys were never my thing but I respect their place in hip-hop history and I feel any well-known "legendary" artist who passes on deserves a tribute of some sort on a music channel.

And while I realize youtube is where fans get together now to express their feeling about a band and is the defactor music channel now, there is still room for old school media.

Seriously. Sometimes I just wanna kick back in front of the TV and watch some videos without having to be on my computer or smartphone. And I like the joy of catching a random video/song you may have forgotten about years ago and wouldn't think to search for on youtube. I'm not saying MTV or VH1 need to give up their reality shows but can we please cut out some of the excessive Teen Mom/JerseyShore/TrashWives/etc reruns and get a decent block videos a few nights a week? I don't think its too much to ask.

Edited by Billie Jean, May 5, 2012 @ 7:15 PM.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

I realize youtube is where fans get together now to express their feeling about a band and is the defactor music channel now

Youtube is also the place where you can hear the entirety of "Paul's Boutique" in one go.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

But what the hell is their sister network VH1 doing? The kind of trash that is on VH1 is an embarrassment to a first world country.

Actually, VH1 did run a block of old Beastie Boys videos on Saturday morning. I'm not sure if it ran longer than an hour, but well, that was their contribution to the memory of MCA.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

Nelly Furtado - Big Hoops (Bigger the Better). Love the dance and overall direction. Nelly hasn't done anything folksy in awhile, huh?
Karmin - I Told You So. Recession video aside, this was okay. I don't get why people are pressed, they're not meant to be high art. They're cheesy and fun to listen to.