"Celebrity" Guests du Jour

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

164 replies to this topic

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2010 @ 10:08 AM

Hmm. Surprisingly I liked Posh's appearance.

I guess NOT that surprisingly. She's a crap singer, and is basically living the life of a useless celeb who does nothing worthwhile, but at least when on American TV she comes off as a reasonable combination of dry and stylish. I mean apparently UK audiences HATE her, then again we seem to value some of their stars more than they do (while they seem to love some of OUR oddballs, like Joan Rivers, or the Jackson extended family far more than WE do).

guano loca

guano loca

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2010 @ 3:28 PM

Ymmv and all that, but I thought she was a cipher. No there there. And I'm not even talking about her weight, or lack of it. She was like a deer in the headlights to me. She roused from her near catatonia to rebuke Simon a couple of times, but otherwise,..zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2010 @ 5:28 PM

I quite liked Posh as a guest judge. I wouldn't want her as a permanent addition, but she was likeable enough. I did laugh at her "I'd say he looked more like Janet..." as the weird guy Simon compared to LaToya walked out. And I liked that she cut through the crap of the no-social-skills obnoxious guy with the glasses by pointing out that he couldn't sing anyway (not that she can talk), so what did it matter. Saying that whoever she said it to that they were perfect for retail was kind of awesome too in that being-a-bitch-without-making-it-too-obvious kind of way.

I'm a little surprised she's been picked on in the press and elsewhere so much for looking emaciated. Not that she isn't of course, but I don't think it's at all unusual to see that in Hollywood/US TV. Whenever I see Desperate Housewives for instance, I always feel like Teri Hatcher's on the verge of collapse. Not to mention the likes of Calista Flockhart on Brothers & Sisters or Ellen Pompeo on Grey's Anatomy, and I could mention many more scary skinny women. It does seem like Posh is being singled out a little unfairly.

Edited by Pooki, Jan 14, 2010 @ 3:00 PM.

guano loca

guano loca

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2010 @ 3:49 PM

Yeah Pooki, I get what you're saying about being singled out. Maybe it's that she's a "four-in-er" to some, i.e. an upstart. Very reserved and aloof, very British. But she is like an orange coat hanger to me, with a similar personality.

ObstinantGirl

ObstinantGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2010 @ 3:02 PM

I thought Avril Lavigne was an immature bitch last night, but maybe she's always like that? I'm not all that familiar with her or her music...

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2010 @ 7:10 PM

I thought Avril Lavigne was an immature bitch last night, but maybe she's always like that? I'm not all that familiar with her or her music...

Yeah, but we got compensated for with Katy Perry, who is a delightful bitch. "This isn't a Lifetime movie"? Classic.

MommaLode

MommaLode

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2010 @ 8:18 PM

LOVED Katy! If we need someone to fill Simon's shoes after this year, Randy won't cut it, Kara won't cut it, maybe Ellen will cut it, and maybe Katy can cut it.

Please stop, or I'll throw my Coke in your face.

Edited by MommaLode, Jan 27, 2010 @ 8:21 PM.

Rondo

Rondo

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 28, 2010 @ 2:25 AM

I couldn't abide Katy! But I also couldn't abide Avril.

In the case of Avril, how stupid to invite someone who more or less invented the genre of disengaged teenager to a role requiring her to ENGAGE with contestants and fellow judges, not to mention viewers, many of whom are adults and not afraid to admit it. I wanted someone to rip that hood off her head and pull back her hair; you don't isolate yourself from your fellow panelists like that. I mean, where people can choose whether to associate with you or not you can hide in your little womb-like hood all you like, but your fellow panelists have no choice but to sit next to you, so for God's sake pull back the curtains.

She was also bored and did not not connect with either the role or the contestants. Again, who thought she would? She does boredom and 'I'm too insecure to want to make you feel good' for a living. Please, don't ever bring her back.

Katy? My instinct is to say "get over yourself" but it's not that simple. It's more like she thinks that being rude makes her interesting, failing to notice that Simon, who wraps rude up in excellent command of language, formal manners, and a sense of humour, not to mention some empathy, is a far more fascinating package. Hell, he's had all of North America wrapped around his little finger for lo these many years, and I'm over Katy Perry already.

As for tonight, I liked guy #1 who I admit I'd never heard of before (Neil Something), and really quite enjoyed the young Jonas. He was engaged, relaxed, attentive, responsive, and he actually said more than most outlets have reported, especially if you count the opening statement in the limo. A warm smile goes a long way. In a way he is the anti-Avril, and I'm delighted that he and his brothers are popular. There's hope after all.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2010 @ 7:47 AM

How clueless was Joe Jonas! Exhibits A - Z why they shouldn't have guest 'judges'! "Yeah, yeah, yeah." He couldn't even muster an enunciated "Yes!" for anyone.

Can't believe I missed Neil Patrick Harris! Drat. (Was catching a rerun of Modern Family for the 1st half hour.)

guano loca

guano loca

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 28, 2010 @ 10:41 AM

Can I just say NPH rocks? He can spar with Simon any day. Though that Sergio Leone spaghetti western music was getting old fast.

Joe Jonas was pleasant and attractive. Non-threatening, like his music.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 9:51 AM

I just watched the Los Angeles auditions, and really liked Katy Perry, especially for the fact that she didn't engage in Kara's girl power fake bonding, unlike Kristin Chenowith the other week. I'd say Katy's been one of my favourites of the guest judges.

Unlike rat-faced Avril Lavigne, who got on my last nerve. What was with that stupid hoodie? You're 26 woman, stop dressing like a 13-year-old! And telling that Pat Benetar-singing fake rock girl that she was punk? What the hell does Avril Lavigne know about punk?!

mcalbert

mcalbert

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 8:47 PM

I missed the two I wanted to see NPH and Cheno and got Kay and Avril instead.

Rosannasfriend

Rosannasfriend

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 31, 2010 @ 10:30 AM

I disagree that Katy is like Simon. Simon is not so personal and mean and hot tempered like Katy seemed. Simon has a charisma to him that helps him get away with his crap.

gunkulator

gunkulator

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 4, 2010 @ 5:00 PM

NPH: Attentive, engaging and inciteful - everything a guest judge should be

Kristin Chenoweth: Cutesy and clearly having the time of her life. Partied with Kara all night I'd bet.

Avril Lavigne: Looked stupid, acted stupid and then as if to clear up any doubt, only said things that were stupid.

Posh Spice: Most of the time she seemed to be in a daze, like maybe she forgot to eat that morning, or every morning for that matter

Shania: A classy lady who knows a lot about the music biz and is willing to share.

Katy Perry: Looked great, as always. Took turns tweaking each of judges a tad. She's a bit sassy and I liked it.

___ Jonas (forgot which): zzzzzz. Did he say anything? At all? Did the director forget to give him his lines?

Philly Phoodie

Philly Phoodie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2010 @ 8:41 AM

Joe Jonas has to be the worst celeb judge they have had so far. He looked as if he truly didn't want to be there.