Superman movies: Silver Screen Supes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2820 replies to this topic

rikraq

rikraq

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 3:56 PM

Wolfgang Petersen Talks Batman vs. Superman Source: In Focus Friday, May 7, 2004

So is there any chance we'll ever see Batman vs. Superman or a new Superman film?

I ask the question myself quite often. I was just talking to Alan Horn about it and he said, "I always liked that concept so much." I think it's on the back-burner because Warner Brothers decided to go with single "Batman" and "Superman" movies. "Superman" is, at the moment, shelved; I think if they successfully launch it again, then at some point it will be "Batman vs. Superman" again. I'll definitely be attached to that project whenever….

Never gonna get made.

tropicalgeko

tropicalgeko

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2004 @ 5:17 PM

You'd think that WB would let Smallville play out a couple more years and then continue the story on the big screen with Tom Welling as Superman.

Word to this. I'm absolutly terrified that by doing, what I'm almost positive will be a half-assed job of it, they're going to ruin Superman for me from now on. They can't just let it run it's course can they? Or, if they won't do that, at least just leave well enough alone.

TGC-64

TGC-64

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2004 @ 4:06 PM

It would be difficult to do Superman versus Batman without reference to Lex Luthor. Especially if the 5 years of Smallville plays out, The Rift, future-President Luthor, etc.... I think that they would be wise to let Canon play-out and see where Smallville leads, and what Current Events are at that time. If Smallville ends with a re-imaged version of Superman that DC morphs into Comic Canon, then the Dark Knight might also be shifted to a Man of Our Times, and not necessarily the gothic avenger of the 50's and 60's, or the Dark Knight of the 80's and 90's.

Especially if Bruce eventually makes an appearance on Smallville. There's still two seasons to go on the 5-year arc. And maybe if continues an additional year or two?

hachurui

hachurui

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2004 @ 11:08 PM

Remember those gems, Warner Brothers?

Superman 3 and 4 weren't exactly cinematic gems either.

Edited by hachurui, May 9, 2004 @ 11:09 PM.

Trevacious Guy

Trevacious Guy

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 4:35 PM

In Superman One, recall the scene where Clark shows up at Lois's apartment for their date. (Lois having just returned from a dreamy flight over the city with Superman.)

As they head out the door and Clark's telling her what a great time he's gonna show her, Lois, still floating on Clouds, absentmindedly says, "That's Clark, nice..."

Heheheh...So, is that indeed, as I suspect, a Blooper that they kept in the film because it Worked?

Watch how Christopher Reeve comes to a complete halt for a moment and turns to look back into the room (looking at Richard Donner, I presume), smiling about what Margot just said. Then he seems to get a direction to keep going, and he recovers smoothly and follows her on out the door.

From the Superman DVD commentaries, no doubt that scene was technically tricky and a rather long continuous shot with no cutaways. After all that setup, I imagine I'd have waved Chris on, too! And it was a great take anyway.

Well, if that really was a slip on Margot Kidder's part, I think it fits perfectly with the state of mind Lois was in and makes it much funnier.

hachurui

hachurui

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 9:11 PM

That's right after the scene where Superman praises Lois pink panties after he x-rays her during their interview, isn't it? Maybe that's where AlMiles got their Pink fetish from.

Trevacious Guy

Trevacious Guy

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 10:59 PM

Yeah... "Do you like pink?" "I like pink very much, Lois..."

Meant to titillate, today it just makes me nauseous to hear him say that, all because of Lana...

Their fetish probably predates Superman, but that line gave them a handy excuse to slather it all over Smallville...

joye

joye

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2004 @ 12:54 PM

I'm not crazy about two superheroes in the same world (Justice League aside). Batman's not superhuman. He occupies a different type of world than Superman. There's a degree of camp I accept and enjoy about Superman--it's so out there it's in. But Batman is a mortal man who couldn't stop an asteroid from destroying the planet (unless he was an oil rigger, of course). He's a mind-over-matter hero.

I like my Batman in Gotham, my Superman in Metropolis. Worlds colliding--Killing independent George!

rikraq

rikraq

Posted May 18, 2004 @ 4:27 PM

Superman 3 and 4 weren't exactly cinematic gems either

Which is worst: Superman 4 or Supergirl?

I can actually sit through Supergirl and enjoy it. Superman 4, not so much.

rikraq

rikraq

Posted May 20, 2004 @ 3:16 PM

Here's something about the upcoming movie:

Reliable Superhero Hype! scooper 'Enigma' tells us that Warner Bros. has brought special makeup effects guru Stan Winston on board to create the new Superman costume for the studio and director McG!

We're told that the costume, at this moment, is sculpted with muscles, etc. The cape is said to look like latex, much like the new Batman Begins cape.

and

We've been tipped by a scooper that Warner Bros. has selected ESC Entertainment to produce the visual effects for its upcoming SUPERMAN film. ESC is the San Francisco-based special effects firm that was created after the dissolution of Manex Visual Effects (the firm that created most of the effects for the first MATRIX film); many of the ex-employees of Manex went on to found and work at ESC. The company created the bulk of the major visual effects sequences for the two MATRIX sequels and went on to deliver effects for the remake of THE LADYKILLERS. They are currently working on two more Warner Bros. movie projects, namely CATWOMAN and CONSTANTINE.

Edited by rikraq, May 21, 2004 @ 10:29 AM.

rikraq

rikraq

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 8:13 AM

More info on Superman movie here

Is this the new Superman?

hachurui

hachurui

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 7:01 PM

Interesting that Cavill's dream role is to play ATG. I hope Depp decides to take the Lex role, and that JJ's script doesn't contain any travellingsalesman!lex or Kryptonian!lex nonsense.

kwerkee

kwerkee

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2004 @ 10:14 PM

So Lex could grow up and look like Johnny Depp, only to disintegrate to looking like Gene Hackman? *g*

rikraq

rikraq

Posted Jun 7, 2004 @ 9:13 AM

More movie news:

We can exclusively reveal that screentests have begun on McG's Superman! After a tip-off and some further investigating we've discovered that six actors are testing for Superman next week, on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Test deals are being finalised as we speak.
Who are the secret six? We don't know right now (so don't ask), but the recently rumoured Jake Gyllenhaal is not one of them (this reporter could only see Jake as Superman if the movie was made in a tangent universe and directed by Richard Kelly! =) ).
The source isn't sure if the much-rumoured Henry Cavill is in the six. Since insiders have been consistently telling us Cavill is McG's first choice for the role we'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't one of the six.
Stay tuned, in a couple of weeks we could know who'll step into the tights vacated by Christopher Reeve in 1987.

Trevacious Guy

Trevacious Guy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2004 @ 2:03 PM

Depressing.

DarkEmerald

DarkEmerald

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2004 @ 2:46 PM

who'll step into the tights vacated by Christopher Reeve

Also? Kind of gross.

rikraq

rikraq

Posted Jun 14, 2004 @ 4:00 PM

Who's testing for Superman

Edited by rikraq, Jun 14, 2004 @ 4:00 PM.

Shropshire

Shropshire

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 14, 2004 @ 4:15 PM

who'll step into the tights vacated by Christopher Reeve 

Also? Kind of gross.

... and DarkEmerald lurks in the shadows and throws a squick ball.

At least, after all this time, they won't still be warm.

Trevacious Guy

Trevacious Guy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2004 @ 11:00 PM

Oh, MY...

Clipped From DarkHorizons.Com:

McG Ditched By "Superman"
Posted: Wednesday June 23rd, 2004 11:45pm (Au-EST)
Author: Garth Franklin

A good man is definitely a hard thing for McG to find, so much so it appears he's given up the search.

Superman V reports that earlier this week they heard that the "Charlie's Angels" director was to be "no longer involved" with the "Superman" production (which explains his reluctance to speak about the project the other week), and after a bunch of calls, e-mails and pressure they finally got it confirmed that it's true - McG is off the project.

Seems that the recent auditions were "McG's last chance at getting the SUPERMAN movie off the ground, and landing himself the job of directing. Seems NO ONE has offically signed on as director of SUPERMAN since Brett Ratner left the project last year. Warner Bros. are being VERY cautious before accepting a director, and I guess McG didn't have what they were looking for.  We were told, if he didn't manage to please the studio execs with his ideas, he would be gone, which he now IS.  As of TUESDAY, McG is no longer involved with the SUPERMAN production what so ever".

They "also heard that the latest report about ANOTHER suit being introduced - a BLACK kryptonian suit - was accurate, this was an addition to the latest Abrams draft.  We are told that after this the studio asked for re-writes of the script, and McG brought on board Josh Schwartz to touch it up.  We are led to believe that McG may not have even handed in the latest revised draft (he was giving the boot before he had the chance)...We are led to believe that Abrams is no longer connected to the project, that his work is complete with it, so expect a NEW writer to come on board and start from scratch".

As for casting, "It's back to square one, no one has signed as Superman, and no one will be Superman with no director". However the studio 'Did like a few of the screen tests and thought they went really well' so a favourites list is expected to be handed over to a new director who could be selected as early as the end of this year. The production is still aiming to begin filming sometime next year for a release in 2006.

Thanks to 'Muscles' & 'Gustavo'

Wow. Can I have just a little...YES?!?! Maybe a little SWEET to go with it?

TOTAL Dread is replaced once again by a tiny, cautious, yet determined flicker of optimism that says all could yet work out for the best.

kwerkee

kwerkee

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2004 @ 3:09 AM

Amen, brother. Amen. About damn time.

xinfinity

xinfinity

Posted Jun 26, 2004 @ 11:00 AM

It would be a nice bit of irony if after they change, cast, directors and scripts a few dozen times, they actually make a good movie out of this mess.

They'd have to can everyone who evenconsidered all the terrible ideas we've heard so far first though.

raeblackman

raeblackman

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2004 @ 12:07 PM

Maybe they'll get someone who actually appears to understand you can't not blow up Krypton.

What I don't get is why they can't just do an adventure, like they do in the Batman films. Batman has changed, what? Four times now, have we ever had an explanation? No. There's no reason for this starting again business. Of course, they are going to be hard pressed to find an actor to fill CR's Julliard trained size eighteens.

proteus

proteus

Posted Jun 27, 2004 @ 11:26 PM

I loved Christopher Reeve in the role - he looked exactly as I thought Supey should, and he had the awshucks goody two shoes persona down pat without crossing the line to annoying. Ditto Dean Cain, he was just right for young adult Supey. The New Adventures of Lois & Clark was much more fun than Smallville. And TW, looks-wise, is perfect for young Clark. Plus he's HAWT. Yum.

But the candidates for big screen Supey have me worried. Jason Bleah? Oh.My.God. Guy cannot act, mumbles, looks creepy, has muscles but looks oddly proportioned - what the hell are they smoking? Might as well cast Jack Black and make it a complete farce.

DarkEmerald

DarkEmerald

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2004 @ 6:28 PM

A reasonably interesting speculation about the likely and unlikely candidates to play Superman in the next movie. TW is mentioned (and dismissed) first.

rikraq

rikraq

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 11:11 AM

'The Godfather' Actor Brando Dead at 80

LOS ANGELES - Marlon Brando, who revolutionized American acting with his Method performances in "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "On the Waterfront" and went on to create the iconic character of Don Vito Corleone in "The Godfather," has died. He was 80.

Brando died at an undisclosed Los Angeles hospital Thursday, attorney David J. Seeley said Friday. The cause of death was being withheld, Seeley said, noting the actor "was a very private man."

No! Jor-El!

DarkEmerald

DarkEmerald

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2004 @ 12:40 PM

Rest In Peace, Marlon.

DarkEmerald

DarkEmerald

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2004 @ 3:07 PM

I hope four days is long enough to count as not double-posting. This tidbit about the movie may be of interest.

annexia

annexia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2004 @ 7:40 PM

Edit: Oops this is old news. sorry.

Edited by annexia, Jul 6, 2004 @ 7:43 PM.

rikraq

rikraq

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 11:25 AM

Dated July 12:

Charlie's Angels director MCG has pulled out of the project.

Studio execs at Warner Brothers confirmed that they've parted ways with the director. The primary reason was that they couldn't agree on a budget that neighbored around $200 million, but that wasn't the only point of contention.

Casting and the shooting location were also big issues. MCG wanted a New York shoot, while the studio wanted to film in Australia. MCG says it felt inappropriate to try to capture such an American icon on another continent.

Tim Burton and Rush Hour Director Brett Ratner were both in talks with the studio to make the film but eventually dropped out.

"When I flew to New York to scout, I became enamored with our greatest American city," McG said in a statement. "It was clear to me that this was Metropolis. As a filmmaker, I felt it was inappropriate to try to capture the heart of America on another continent. I look at Superman as a character that embodies all that is beautiful about
America."

Warners is now on the lookout for a new director for its Man of Steel movie. McG's departure also does not tie the studio to the script, which was written by "Alias" creator J.J. Abrams.

Edited by rikraq, Jul 12, 2004 @ 11:29 AM.

NikkiJ

NikkiJ

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2004 @ 1:54 PM

I have never been so happy about someone losing a job! CA2 was edited like a music video, imagine the hachet job he would have done on Supes.