Another World

• Please log in to reply

3089 replies to this topic

Solexa423

Solexa423

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 18, 2010 @ 1:58 PM

I have the worst luck in the world... anytime I like anything soap related, the person either gets axed, the writers totally blow it, or the networks pulls the plug. I guess I need to start liking everything "team popular" and forget about old favorites.

My Father has been making fun of me for years, telling me I'm stuck in some kind of time warp, but then again, they write crap for soaps these days, so I like my time warp. But apparently the Soap Gods are again sending me a big FU.

Years ago when Megan Mctavish Ruined everything I loved about AMC and Bob Guza destroyed great characters to support his Mob worship on GH, I went to live on Planet Denial, that's where you'll Find me again come October 21st.

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2010 @ 5:32 PM

At least (very least) it wasn't just some big meanie picking on Another World like NBC, and later SoapNet, did. Hulu is ending their deals with ATWT and GL, also--basically all P&G stuff.

I wanted to see Matt/Donna again. @$#%"$!!!!

prican58

prican58

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2010 @ 10:02 PM

At least (very least) it wasn't just some big meanie picking on Another World like NBC, and later SoapNet, did. Hulu is ending their deals with ATWT and GL, also--basically all P&G stuff.

daniel82, I understand that P & G are pulling all their soap stuff off youtube as well. I had always wondered, since GL went off, what would happen to all the episodes available. They left it all available even after all the years AW has been gone. I guess they just wanted to wait till they were all out of the biz.

FUP&G.

What years did RPG spend on AW? I want to see that.

After watching episodes where Mac left Rachel b/c of her sculpting, I was touched by just how good Douglass Watson was. I was never a Mac fan per se but he went yard with that performance. He really sold me on how sad and lonely he was without Rachel. He was like a lost little boy when he went to see Ada and Gil. Fantastic.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

RPG was on the show from 1990-1993 and returned briefly in 1994 and 1998. More info.

Apparently the AW videos are being removed at the end of THIS month, not in October.

Edited by steve91199, Sep 19, 2010 @ 5:00 AM.

Solexa423

Solexa423

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 3:25 PM

I guess I better start watching... I was just getting into the Lorna/Felicia/Jenna story and boom they kick me right in the teeth. Okay, I'll stop bitching, I know when I've been beat... like a dead horse.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Sep 19, 2010 @ 3:35 PM

I'm not 100% on the this month, I saw that posted at Daytime Royalty. I just wanted to throw it out there, better safe than sorry. I have barely watched any, so I hope it is October. I was just watching a May 1991 episode. Sometimes I forget how much I loved AH's Vicky and AS's Donna together, and of course Vicky/Ryan. Some of the other stuff doesn't really have that same spark but the show is still watchable. The only part which makes me sad is that I love Kathleen and Cass and wish they could have been happy...

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Oct 13, 2010 @ 3:48 AM

The episodes are still up, so I suppose the final day will probably be October 21, a little over a week away.

I enjoyed this episode, which is Anne Heche's final appearance as Marley, and one of her last as Vicky. Vicky and Ryan were so incredible together, just such natural, fresh, fun, passionate, deep chemistry.

I really can't stand Michael, whether it's smugly lecturing Iris, with that damn finger in her face, or talking down to Donna, as always. John also has that scolding tone and self-righteousness in spades. How noble he is to accept Cass's legal help after he fired him because Cass reconciled with Kathleen and hurt the sainted Frankie. I like Frankie but I like her less when a slew of people have to line up to sing her virtues. Anyway I think John was much better earlier when he had an edge.

Anna Stuart is so good in those scenes where she learns that Stacey and Michael saw Mikey and she didn't. And everything she says about Stacey is true.

Edited by steve91199, Oct 13, 2010 @ 3:50 AM.

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2010 @ 8:30 AM

I like Frankie but I like her less when a slew of people have to line up to sing her virtues.

I think the rush to sing Frankie's praises--seemingly from the moment she arrived--was my first exposure to the now-ubiquitous concept of Character Propping. Donna Swajeski created Frankie, so of course anyone who got in Frankie's way was trashed. I agree with you that Frankie was likeable enough, but Swajeski's favoritism toward the character was sometimes cringe-inducing. Making Nicole Love into a nutso murderer in order to push Frankie toward Cass was IMO unforgivable, and her Cass/Frankie/Kathleen triangle actually damaged both Cass and Kathleen while Frankie looked like the put-upon victim. (Donna S wrote that, right? It sounds like something she would write!) No wonder it was a ratings dud; what should have been an even-handed story between three likable characters spun into "look at poor sainted Frankie, suffering in silence as Cass breaks her heart". Nowadays we see such propping a mile away (almost expect it), but back then it was really frustrating because you expected so much better.

It's no coincidence that I started liking Frankie a lot more after her creator no longer wrote for her.

Edited by daniel82, Oct 13, 2010 @ 8:32 AM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Dec 24, 2010 @ 12:55 AM

Merry Christmas AW fans! Such a wonderful show. As a Christmas present someone put up some scenes of Christmas Eve 1986. This is the last part, with a really great scene between Felicia, Wallingford, and Mitch.

EllenOlenska

EllenOlenska

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 24, 2010 @ 6:04 PM

what a perfect holiday treat... just what I needed!

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Dec 29, 2010 @ 8:29 PM

Jacquie Courtney has passed away. Only 64. She was one of daytime's biggest stars for 15 years and AW and OLTL would not have been the same without her. Alice alone was such an iconic role and Jacqueline imbued a cliched role with such strength and personality.

Jacquie and George reunite in 1994.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 3:09 PM

Oh that is so sad. While I was never much of an 'Alice' fan, I did think Courtney was very good, and certainly, as you say, an icon. I remember when she left "AW" and they created the role of Pat for her on "OLTL"; although a planned reteaming with George Reinholt (as Tony Lord) didn't work out, she definitely pleased old fans and won new ones on ABC.

The old guard really is falling away, isn't it?

LisaM

LisaM

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2010 @ 6:33 PM

AW was my first soap and Steve and Alice was my first supercouple. Very sad news....she died way too soon.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2010 @ 10:21 AM

64? Man, that seems unfair.

I had no idea that Courtney had played a role on One Life To Live. I imagine it put in her into storylines with Robin Strasser again. Reconstructing that triangle must have been something. Another World was my first soap, too; it's still my favourite, all these years later. Even if I did always root for Rachel over Alice the priss. (Sorry, Jacquie.)

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2010 @ 11:08 AM

Jacquie's character on OLTL, Pat, was around from about 75-83, and the last 4 years of that were with Robin Strasser. Initially when Robin decided to come back to soaps in 1976, Agnes Nixon asked her to play Cathy Craig, for a triangle with her old AW co-stars, but she declined, because she didn't want to repeat history. She then took a role on AMC she went on to loathe, and went to OLTL as Dorian in 1979. She did not share heavy story with Jacquie but they had their moments, like here. That clip also features someone else who would go on to play a very, very tine role on AW...

I love this scene with Rachel and Alice so much.

George Reinholt and Linda Dano say goodbye.

krizmic

krizmic

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2011 @ 1:29 PM

I have been revisiting AW...oh how I miss these characters. Frankie, Paulina, Jake, Rachel, Vicky, Matthew, Donna. I miss them all!

But there are holes in the AW vids on youtube (understandable) that make me wonder if I am imagining things, or make me miss scenes I do remember.

Did Frankie have another miscarriage? After Charlie? I have this memory...she and Cass were having a hard time and she miscarried. But maybe I'm making it up?

And I was always a fan of the Jake/Vicky/boys stories. Mostly b/c you could genuinely see the affection between Tom and Jensen, and their adoration of those little boys. I've been watching the s/l with Kirk's accident. But they cut the scenes that don't have J&V in them...which means all of the Paulina/drug fall out is missing. I remember when she told Rachel...she was practically hysterical in her hospital bed and so ashamed. It was one of those times she called Rachel "Mom." I think it only happened 2 or 3 times over the years, but it was always so effective and powerful when it was used.

Also adorable to see young Dante Carlino (aka Austin Luciano). There's a great scene where Rachel has him and she's just discovered she's pregnant. She's talking to him/herself and Austin is fascinated by the lights and is practically bent over backwards in her arms--VW handles it with deft and skill!
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UKAUV_VXu-c

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2011 @ 4:26 AM

In mid-1995 Frankie found out she was pregnant. There was some tension because her last baby had almost died and Cass blamed himself, which meant they weren't sure about another child. She had a miscarriage a month or two later, when he was representing a woman who filed a wrongful death lawsuit against her brother-in-law John.

I think Alice Barrett criticized the show for not doing enough with the story, but JFP had no use for Frankie anyway.

katierose295

katierose295

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2011 @ 5:35 PM

Also adorable to see young Dante Carlino (aka Austin Luciano). There's a great scene where Rachel has him and she's just discovered she's pregnant. She's talking to him/herself and Austin is fascinated by the lights and is practically bent over backwards in her arms--VW handles it with deft and skill!

The scene I most remember with that kid was when Paulina was being taken off to jail for drunk driving (I think? Something to do with a dragonfly pin of a Christmas tree, maybe?) Anyway, Paulina was sobbing that she'd miss Dante so much, as the cops pulled her from the house, and her son was SCREAMING for her, "Mama, Mama! No, no!" I felt bad for the little guy, because I'm sure he thought it was real and his mom was being dragged away by strangers. It was really heartwrenching. I imagine when they finished filming that scene, the little guy need a lot of hugs. :)

Edited by katierose295, Mar 11, 2011 @ 5:36 PM.

krizmic

krizmic

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2011 @ 9:49 PM

Watching Frankie's death...in 40-some parts. Just got teary at the voiceover tributes to Frankie (Vicky, Joe, Paulina, Morgan, Felicia, Maggie) as Cass tells Charlie that her mother is gone. This was a brutal s/l and I hated everything it stood for, but boy, did everyone from ABM and SS to AmyC and TimG knock it out of the park. Hate the story, love the work...is that OK? I also love that it did what I love most about soaps, and what I loved most about AW. It overlapped and wove in SO many characters. There are Vicky, Donna, and Rachel sitting around the coffee table coloring with Charlie. There's Paulina supporting Joe, Frankie's best friend. Morgan, Cass and Felicia leaning on each other with the support of Lorna and John. Sharlene and John get a beautiful scene in the hospital. Really top notch work for a really infuriating story.

The most heatbreaking part for me is the wedding shower for Josie. Alice Barrett Mitchell just shines and she gets these little moments with different actors that aren't real goodbyes, but you can see the actors squeezing her shoulders a little tighter.

Unknown

Unknown

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 7, 2011 @ 4:57 PM

It could have been worse. They could have killed off Donna, or, if JFP had really wanted to be ruthless...Rachel.

If the latter had happened, Another World wouldn't have had to be canceled, because the fans would have burned down the sets (Rachel probably still had a lot of fans circa the mid-1990s).

(BTW, if I had been writing that, I would have had Cass discover she's still alive when he goes to say goodbye in the morgue.)

P.S.: Frankie is still alive on the Another World Today online soap (BTW, that is one of the more unbelievable (and that's saying something) plot twists in any soap). How could Cass not know Frankie wasn't dead, even in the morgue for God's sake?!?

P.P.S.: Lucas is somehow also alive, despite dying in 1992?!?!?!

Edited by Unknown, Jul 7, 2011 @ 4:58 PM.

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 8:42 PM

My post got eaten! Try, try again...

In mid-1995 Frankie found out she was pregnant. There was some tension because her last baby had almost died and Cass blamed himself, which meant they weren't sure about another child. She had a miscarriage a month or two later, when he was representing a woman who filed a wrongful death lawsuit against her brother-in-law John.

They tried to lay the groundwork for future plotlines involving Cass and his fractured relationship with his parents. He flat-out refused to discuss them with Frankie, who had expressed simple curiosity about Cass's childhood, upbringing, her in-laws, etc. Every once in a while they'd bring this up, but they didn't fully explore the plot point. When Frankie had her miscarriage, Cass was consumed with guilt because he knew that a genetic problem existed in his family, but his refusal to talk about his family, esp. his mother (who was apparently a total beee-otch) made him think that he had kept a secret that could potentially have played a role in the miscarriage. It also played a role in his nervousness about trying to have more kids with Frankie. By this time, Stacey had left town, and it wasn't until Morgan showed up that Frankie got a little more background on the Winthrops. IIRC, Morgan was treated as the golden child, while Cass was the morally-challenged, womanizing embarrassment to the parents (I guess they just ignored Stacey the same way we all did).

I seem to recall Frankie discovering she was pregnant just as Cass had left her to try reconciling with un-dead Kathleen, and Frankie having an out-of-body experience after being caught in an explosion meant to kill Kathleen. She saw her miscarried baby while in 'heaven', but I'm not sure if this was the same baby since the Cass/Kathleen/Frankie triangle could not have been that long, could it?

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 9:07 PM

The story about the heart condition was the baby that lived (Charlie), right? Then Frankie had another miscarriage a few years later.

The first miscarriage was soon after the breakup with Cass and when he reconciled with Kathleen. I think she saw the baby 4-5 months after the miscarriage. I thought they all came across poorly in that triangle...it was dispiriting to watch.

There were rumors about AW bringing Stacey back in 1995, but it never happened. I wonder if they would have brought Hillary Edson back.

What was the story with Cass...his mother caught him with one of her friends or something?

daniel82

daniel82

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 5:13 PM

That was what they said (the bit about Cass sleeping with one of her high-society friends) around the time Morgan appeared in Bay City, but I got the impression it was an attempt to explain away/wave off all that groundwork they'd laid in anticipation of Mrs. Winthrop showing up in town. One of the (myriad) writing regimes had wanted to introduce Mrs. Winthrop to shake up Cass/Frankie and to remind viewers that Cass was not always the heroic figure we saw by the time he met/married Frankie. I even recall an article where they tossed around names of actresses to play the role.

I am glad they did not bring Stacey back. She was such a self-righteous hypocrite. I loved how Donna and AH's Vicky both treated her like garbage. Though I did have a crush on her short-term BF, Derek Dane.

Edited by daniel82, Jul 9, 2011 @ 5:16 PM.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 8:33 PM

I liked Hillary on GL, so when I got to see Soapnet I was disappointed at how unlikeable she was, especially as time went on. It's not easy to make someone who just lost their daughter so unsympathetic. I never understood why they did the story about Stacey blackmailing Donna into giving Mikey up, then Stacey and Michael getting involved. If it was supposed to make Donna look bad, I thought it made Michael and Stacey look much worse (I wonder if it's one of the reasons why Kale Browne left).

What did you think of his pairing with Rachel?

It's strange but, unlike some past soaps I watched, AW has never really ended for me. I still feel like the characters are alive and vibrant.

There's more discussion, and some old articles, here.

katesus7

katesus7

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2011 @ 9:46 PM

Watching Frankie's death...in 40-some parts. Just got teary at the voiceover tributes to Frankie (Vicky, Joe, Paulina, Morgan, Felicia, Maggie) as Cass tells Charlie that her mother is gone. This was a brutal s/l and I hated everything it stood for, but boy, did everyone from ABM and SS to AmyC and TimG knock it out of the park. Hate the story, love the work...is that OK? I also love that it did what I love most about soaps, and what I loved most about AW. It overlapped and wove in SO many characters. There are Vicky, Donna, and Rachel sitting around the coffee table coloring with Charlie. There's Paulina supporting Joe, Frankie's best friend. Morgan, Cass and Felicia leaning on each other with the support of Lorna and John. Sharlene and John get a beautiful scene in the hospital. Really top notch work for a really infuriating story.

Right there with you. Loved Frankie from day one, thought the murder was gross and brutal and not necessary. But...I just watched the first 10 parts last night after seeing your post, and damn. Compared the the dreck that is on today? So many people being involved, more than 4 people in a scene, the fantastic acting and emotion, all of it was crazy good. And, oh my Cass. He's in my top 3 favorite Soap characters of all time. He was so brilliant.

Edited by katesus7, Jul 9, 2011 @ 9:47 PM.

TimWil

TimWil

Fanatic

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 9:14 PM

RIP Roberts Blossom at the age of 87. His performances as Sven scared the shit out of me. Sven's chopping up of Rocky (the Cory chauffeur) and putting his remains in trash bags in the boathouse is the single most grisliest murder in soap history, IMO.

Edited by TimWil, Jul 13, 2011 @ 9:16 PM.

LegalGirl82

LegalGirl82

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 13, 2011 @ 9:37 PM

So sorry to hear of the passing of Roberts Blossom. RIP.

His Sven scared the shit out of me, too; and ITA, TimWil, about Rocky's murder being the most grisliest in soap history. I vividly remember the day Jamie and Dennis discovered Rocky's dismembered remains underneath the floorboards in the Cory boathouse. To this day, that discovery remains near the top of my list of truly shocking/surprising television moments.

Years later, when I saw "Home Alone" for the first time, upon seeing Blossoms' character, I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jul 14, 2011 @ 9:33 AM

He was a wonderful actor, and yes, Sven deserves a place in the Gallery of All-Time Scary Soap Villains. Talk about remorseless evil!

DimSome

DimSome

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2011 @ 9:42 PM

As I was unfamiliar with the Sven storyline (it took place on the early 80s I think, and my first real memories of the show aren't until the mid-80s) I went to YouTube to see what I could dig up. There was nothing about him unfortunately, though I'm happy to see storylines from the 70s and 80s are easier to come by.

Anyone remember Catlin and Sally? That couple was my first real memory of loving Another World, but other than a few promos, I can't find any video on the web. I dunno, but I seem to remember them being a big deal at the time. I was seven, and had a crush on Thomas Ian Griffith, so maybe I made them a bigger deal than they were. :)

EllenOlenska

EllenOlenska

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2011 @ 5:36 AM

you're right, Caitlin and Sally were a HUGE deal, they were heavily promo'd along wtih the early Bo an Hope years on Days...it was the start of supercouples across many soaps. I do know that getting ahold of video tapy was pretty difficult then so I suppose that's why there was not a whole lot of stuff on Youtube. I remember seeing Mary Page Keller in many tv shows for years after and wondering what happened since I thought of her as a big soap superstar at the time.

Edited by EllenOlenska, Jul 18, 2011 @ 5:37 AM.