Idol Speculation

• Please log in to reply

16890 replies to this topic

SecretAgentWife

SecretAgentWife

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

I am mad for Etta James, so whoever sings Steal Away will get my votes, unless it's P2 and he destroys it with his twitches and non-melody revamp.

I like the guy, but I want to see him in a smoky club where I'm swiggin' back a beer and walking on peanut shells on the floor.

I'm a 43 year old happily married woman in love with Joshua. I know. Nothing fits around that one. What can I say? I love a singer with soul, showmanship and who,every once in a while, takes me to a different kind of church than the St. Agnes Catholic church I go to every (give or take) Sunday morning.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

I'm so sick of ballads. Do people actually listen to those on the radio these days?

Me, too. I don't mind listening to certain ballads on occasion, but too many bore me to death.

I understand your basic dislike of ballads. But to be completely fair, arguably the biggest song on the radio this year was a ballad, Adele's "someone like you". Ballads also still have a place on artists albums.

I get that and, like I said, there are some that I like, but some of these have been done too much already. I mentioned in a previous post "November Rain" or "Patience". "Hotel California", "God Only Knows What I'd Be Without You", "For What It's Worth", "Oh Daddy" or "Songbird", "Don't Speak"--all of these are ballads I'd love to hear (maybe we have at one time, but not often enough for me to remember them).

Tonight's show doesn't sound to exciting to me. I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Teagan1, May 9, 2012 @ 2:54 PM.

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:50 PM

Volcano is such a delicately pretty song--I can't quite picture Pee Pee doing it. Fingers crossed that it is Joshua doing "It's a Man's World" and NOT ""And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going"" (snerk)

dramafan

dramafan

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

edited because I posted this in the wrong thread. Sorry!

Edited by dramafan, May 10, 2012 @ 12:41 PM.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

Song list revealed for tonight. I'm guessin the order will be P2, Joshua, and Jessica.

I was viewing the list on my phone, but I think this is right (except the one I've never heard of). Can't read Ray's writing.

Imagine by John Lennon P2
My All by Mariah Carey Joshua
No More Dreams by Mary J. Blige Jessica
We've Got Tonight by Bob Seger P2
I Don't Want To Miss A Thing Aerosmith Joshua
Beggin by ??? Jessica
I'll Be There by Jackson 5 P2
Disease by Matchbox 20 Joshua
I'd Rather Go Blind Etta James Jessica

Of course, that's just my guesses on who will be singing what.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

Eh, more 'songs that haven't been done on Idol' on that list than the reverse, so I guess that's good. But seriously- Armageddon theme song AGAIN? I guess they thought we missed it last year, since it was done S7 (at top 3, no less!), S8 and S9.

HerRoyalHighnes

HerRoyalHighnes

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

If it's Beggin by Madcon, that's practically made for Phillip!
I'd round out his set with Imagine and Disease.

The other 6 songs/2 artists are kind of hard to peg because their styles are fairly similar (big voice songs).
I'd put the Mariah song w/ Jessica, though. Aerosmith with Joshua - then he can screech at me and it'll sound just like Steven....(sorry, jmo).

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Apparently, Phil's dad spoiled that "Disease" is for PP. Mary J Blige tweeted something about Josh, so looks like he's doing "No More Drama", and Jessica mentioned in her hometown thing that she had already performed one of her songs on the show -- and rumor has it she did "I'd Rather Go Blind" during Hollywood week. So that's that (?)

I'm hoping for: "My All" for Josh; "Beggin'" for PP; and I suppose "Imagine" could be one of those manufactured "moments" for Jessica (bleh).

Don't care who does the rest. They're all overplayed.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

If it's Beggin by Madcon, that's practically made for Phillip!
I'd round out his set with Imagine and Disease.

The other 6 songs/2 artists are kind of hard to peg because their styles are fairly similar (big voice songs).
I'd put the Mariah song w/ Jessica, though. Aerosmith with Joshua - then he can screech at me and it'll sound just like Steven....(sorry, jmo).

Yes, it was Madcon. Never heard of them, so I thought I was reading it wrong. I don't know Disease either. I agree about Joshua and Aerosmith. He screeches just like ST.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

Interesting song choices*. I hope they bring it tonight.

I Don't Want To Miss A Thing Aerosmith

*Except with this song. I love Aerosmith, but this one song I loathe with the fire of a thousand suns.

sunnydaze

sunnydaze

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

I hope that P2 is doing Bob Seger....imo he's one of the all time greats! And a personal favourite of mine.

If Phil does do We've got tonight, then that means he would also be doing Imagine, which would be cool and the Jackson 5 song, which does nothing for me. Phil did sing 'Thriller' as a second song during his audition, so he might do a J5 song. And if he does do the above three, than that means again, he's going first. With Jessica and Joshua in the pimp and mini-me pimp spot. sigh....has Josh ever gone first? I think Jessica might have. Who decides song order? The producers? or do the artist draw numbers?

It's no shock that either Joshua or Jessica would pull out the Mariah *yawn*

Now if Phil's dad's spoiler is true, then that could mean that Phil is singing Mariah, Aerosmith (definately not a song I would think he try)along with the matchbox 20 which leaves me shaking my head...lol....I'm stumped at who would be doing what by this set list..

Imagine by John Lennon
My All by Mariah Carey
No More Dreams by Mary J. Blige
We've Got Tonight by Bob Seger
Beggin by ??? Jessica
I'll Be There by Jackson 5
Disease by Matchbox 20
I'd Rather Go Blind Etta James

edited because 'tweet' and 'spoiled' are not the same thing.

Edited by sunnydaze, May 16, 2012 @ 4:04 PM.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

Jessica has done "Beggin" and "I rather Go Blind" before she was on Idol. Both sounded great, imo. I think "Imagine" is going to either PP or Jessica.

IMO, this is Jessica's night where she could have multiple moments.

I rather Go Blind- Jessica
Disease- PP
We Got Tonight- PP
Imagine- PP or Jessica
No More Drama- Joshua
My All- Josh/Jess
I'll Be There- Joshua
I Don't Want to Miss a Thing- Jessica
Beggin-?

Edited by CharmCity04, May 16, 2012 @ 2:58 PM.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

Now if Phil's dad's tweet is true, then that could mean that Phil is singing Mariah, Aerosmith (definately not a song I would think he try)along with the matchbox 20

Maybe you'd like to post a link to the tweet? All I've seen is that he confirmed the MB20 song.

ArithAlphamale

ArithAlphamale

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

With Jessica and Joshua in the pimp and mini-me pimp spot. sigh....has Josh ever gone first? I think Jessica might have. Who decides song order? The producers? or do the artist draw numbers?

All three of the remaining contestants have opened the show and had the pimp spot during the finals. The producers were smart - they had Joshua open the show early in the finals to cover themselves, similar to PP's only Pimp Slot having been that same week.

Joshua
OPENED Top 12 Stevie Wonder
PIMP SLOT Top 7 Songs from Now & Then

Phillip
PIMP SLOT Top 12 Stevie Wonder
OPENED Top 11 Year They Were Born
OPENED Top 4 Music of California / Songs They Wish They'd Written

Jessica
OPENED Top 7 Queen/Contestant's Choice
PIMP SLOT Top 4 Music of California / Songs They Wish They'd Written

If they were being fair, Phillip would be next in line for the Pimp Slot, but truthfully, I'm hoping Jessica is awarded the pimp slot a second week. I think Joshua or Jessica WILL get the pimp slot, mainly because their potential song selections are more interesting than PP's (and let's be honest.....they'll all sound similar anyways), and the producers are probably pulling the big guns to get Jessica or Joshua (hopefully both) to the finale.

It's interesting though - I don't think a finalist has been awarded the pimp slot twice so late in the finals since Diana Degarmo in Season 3, when the producers wanted to push her past Jasmine Trias, by giving her the Pimp Slot at Top 4/3.

I hope the following happens:

Jessica:
Imagine by John Lennon
Beggin by Madcon
I'd Rather Go Blind Etta James

Joshua
My All by Mariah Carey
No More Dreams by Mary J. Blige
I'll Be There by Jackson 5

Phillip
We've Got Tonight by Bob Seger
Disease by Matchbox 20

Edited by ArithAlphamale, May 16, 2012 @ 3:12 PM.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

I could see the order going Phillip, Jessica, Joshua. It seems like that it may be shaping up to be a Josh/Jessica finale, from what I have seen.

Josh or Jess will probably get the pimp spot cause, they definitely have at least one song that can really bring he house down at the end.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

There is no way Philip is doing "I don't want to miss a thing". Before predicting a song for Philip I would suggest to people that they ask themselves one question. Is this a difficult song to sing? If the answer is yes then you can rule it out for Philip. He's sung exactly one song that had any kind of range to it. "Time of the season" and it was a disaster so I'm sure he won't ask his voice to do anything it can't.

I'll predict one thing. If Philip sings Imagine he'll be safe, if he doesn't he'll go home. With the wild card being "beggin". I have no idea how Phil would sound on that but it could be a trainwreck or a home run. Either way the judges will love it.

Edited by MV007, May 16, 2012 @ 4:03 PM.

sunnydaze

sunnydaze

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

Maybe you'd like to post a link to the tweet? All I've seen is that he confirmed the MB20 song

Macguffin
So sorry, I'm confusing the posts I read. I thought it was Phil's dad who tweeted about him doing Disease. Your right, Phil's dad only spoiled about him singing Disease, and it ws MJB who tweeted something about Joshua. I'm going back to correct my original post.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

@maskedscheduler posted pics of the idols during dress rehearsal: Josh is doing "Imagine" and Jessica is doing Aerosmith.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 5:33 PM

Josh is doing "Imagine"

Bleeecch. Of course the minister's son is going to sing 'Imagine there's no heaven and no religion too'. This is right up there with 'Hallelujah' as the song whose subversive lyrics nobody listens to/understands.

jambalaya2

jambalaya2

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

Any guidelines for the finale or do they just sing what they want to?

I want Jessica to Rhianna's Love the Way You Lie II. But not rapping the Eminem part.

Valerie from Winehouse. She has so much personality on her youtube videos and so many current songs. She is not a bot just portrayed as one on AI.

And You Lost Me from Xtina.

Edited by jambalaya2, May 18, 2012 @ 12:43 PM.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

Apparently the three themes are:

Reprise from a song done earlier in the season
Simon Fuller choice
Winners single (I don't know if its an original or cover)

This is bad news for Jessica though I think. She needs another "I will always love you" or "I am telling you" type moment and I think reprises are rarely as good as the first time (except Kris Allen) and that would leave everything upto Simon Fuller.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

This is bad news for Jessica though I think. She needs another "I will always love you" or "I am telling you" type moment and I think reprises are rarely as good as the first time (except Kris Allen) and that would leave everything upto Simon Fuller.

I think she can do it. Her throat sounded a lot better during the Results show in that group performance.

I think she needs to go big or go home and chose "I Will Always Love You." That or maybe do "Dance with My Father" again.

P2- I can see him doing Superstition again. I heard he considers that his favorite performance.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

I think Dance with my father again would be a nail in the coffin for Jessica. I'm hoping she can do "the prayer" since she did that in vegas. That could change things because she was sublime on that and it would feel new to most viewers.

Wizardryo

Wizardryo

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

I'm taking this completely at face value, but Nigel tweeted the other day that voting totals have fluctuated all season and that Colton, Skylar, Josh, and Elise have all been the top vote-getter in at least one week (this list includes, I assume, Jessica and Phillip). Assuming that this isn't an all-out lie to make it seem like Jessica has a chance, I think that, well, Jessica has a chance. It reveals that Phillip's core fanbase is not as huge as people are assuming it to be and that enough casual viewers are affecting the results.

Thinking it will come down to what Fuller chooses as Jessica's song. With both of their fanbases so locked down, in order to win, she needs to capture the attention of all the casual viewers tuning in for the last episode and bust out 3 huge diva big-belter songs (for better or worse). I think her reprise almost has to be I Will Always Love You. If Fuller picks something huge for her like the Idol tried-and-true manufactured moment songs "Over the Rainbow" and "Hallelujah," it'll be obvious they want her to win. If they saddle her with another "My All," then they don't. Simple as that. I love the contemporary Jessica (Stuttering, Sweet Dreams), but the finale is not the time to try to flawlessly pull off songs like that. It's a shame, too, because I wish we had gotten more "Sweet Dreams" performances from her.

I don't really think it matters what Phillip will sing. He could steal the show with a "Heartless" type of song, but there's no way Fuller is going to go out on a limb and give him a song like that.

For the record, I'm assuming Colton topped with "Piano Man," Skylar with "Wind Beneath my Wings," and Josh with "It's a Man's Man's Man's World." Nigel tweeted later that Elise won the week she sang "Whole Lotta Love." When was the last time Nigel ever revealed voting results like this? I know he's said that Carrie Underwood led every week in her season and that Diana DeGarmo led season 3 from Final 7 on (until the finale, of course), so it's been a while.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Thinking it will come down to what Fuller chooses as Jessica's song. With both of their fanbases so locked down, in order to win, she needs to capture the attention of all the casual viewers tuning in for the last episode and bust out 3 huge diva big-belter songs (for better or worse). I think her reprise almost has to be I Will Always Love You. If Fuller picks something huge for her like the Idol tried-and-true manufactured moment songs "Over the Rainbow" and "Hallelujah," it'll be obvious they want her to win. If they saddle her with another "My All," then they don't. Simple as that. I love the contemporary Jessica (Stuttering, Sweet Dreams), but the finale is not the time to try to flawlessly pull off songs like that. It's a shame, too, because I wish we had gotten more "Sweet Dreams" performances from her

I agree with everything you said, from liking her more contemporary performances best but I also acknowledge that she needs to do a big divaish song to win. She needs to do something that shoves her vocal talent in peoples faces and slaps them silly with it.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 6:04 PM

Can Nigel pull off a Season 6 redux? I don't think so. Jessica is not Jordin: she isn't as likeable, she's not as pretty. PP is not Blake: similarly weak voices, but, hey, he's got a guitar, not just a lame human beatbox. He's cuter, plus he's got the sympathy/illness factor.
I think it comes down to the casual fans. Will they 'get' PP or wonder what the heck he's doing in the F2? And will Jessica's, er, friends from afar prevail in their attempt to game the system (FWIW, I haven't seen anything that proves this is happening).

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

I think it comes down to the casual fans. Will they 'get' PP or wonder what the heck he's doing in the F2? And will Jessica's, er, friends from afar prevail in their attempt to game the system (FWIW, I haven't seen anything that proves this is happening).

I have seen lots of fans that are kind of mad that we did not get our Josh/Jessica finale. PP got the teen girls votes, but I think Jessica can get the casual votes.

This isn't last season, where we already knew the winner in Scotty before the finale even started. This finale actually means something, cause either one can win. I definitely agree Jessica needs to pick I Will Always Love You for her reprise or maybe "Everybody has a Dream". She needs to bring that Diva voice and slap the crap out of the voters and judges with it: Go big or go home.

ADJets29

ADJets29

Just Tuned In

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Any more ideas for reprise/Fuller's choice? I'll give mine for Jessica because Phillip I can't even begin to pick.

JESSICA

Reprise:
- Love You I Do: Her first and one of her best of the season. Showed the voice and swag.
- I Will Always Love You: Just watched Jordin Sparks' version and just proved how difficult the song is. Jessica made it look easy.
- Everybody has a Dream: I don't love this one because it pretty much has one lyric which bored me but apparently others enjoyed it.
MY CHOICE: Love You I Do - Jessica can bring the powerhouse vocal and charisma on this one
WHAT WILL HAPPEN: Everybody has a Dream

Fuller's choice:
- Valerie: Great suggestion from poster above but Nigel would probably never think of it. Would work well if she does IWALY or Dream as her reprise.
- Hurt by Christina Aguilera: think Jessica could slay this and bring some of that attitude. May be a little too much life experience needed for this though, I'm not sure.
- The Voice Within - I think people have sang this on Idol before. I think Jessica could relate on this and would be really nice with her tone.
- If I Were a Boy - might draw Beyonce comparisons but would sound good.
- Something Rihanna - they sound good on her YouTube channel so they'd be good here
MY CHOICE: Hurt - won't happen but think she'd kill it with her big voice. Christina's hard to match but Jessica can.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN: Somewhere Over the Rainbow or Listen

It's sad that Jessica has been made so pageanty. As others have said, she is contemporary. I watched her do a duet on 'How to Love' by Lil Wayne and it was awesome. I don't think these Idol people know how to market her. She can do more than just sing ballads. She needs to be on tracks with hip hop artists like Wiz and get her name big. Not just sing cheesy ballads that no one will buy. There's def a place for that but she's way more versatile than this show has shown sometimes.

sandrajane

sandrajane

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

Jessica is singing with Jennifer Holliday on Wednesday's show.

Joshua is partnered up with Fantasia.

A mess. They couldn't get anybody more current for Jessica?

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

A mess. They couldn't get anybody more current for Jessica?

What's the difference? It doesn't affect voting in any way, and it's tradition for the show to pair up the contestants with older stars.