Idol Speculation

• Please log in to reply

16890 replies to this topic

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

In the Grassy Knoll they are reporting that it's Motown and Cinema.

Motown? Really? More songs from nearly half a century ago? (Don't get me wrong, I like Motown, but then again, I'm also nearly half a century old.)

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

Well aren't there like a million charts now? So conceivably couldn't Colton pick a #1 from the Christian chart and Joshua from the R&B chart? Or did they say it was the hot 100 chart?

That's how I look at it. I think TPTB just mean any Billboard #1 on any chart. You know how Idol brags about the hundreds of number ones Idols have racked up? That's counting the Hot 100, the country charts, the Christian Digital Songs chart...so I doubt they would suddenly say only Hot 100 #1s count. And I think the then theme is "soul" to keep it from being too open. They probably have a list of "soul" songs all ready to go for the contestants to use.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

The Top 7 will perform two songs each. One, a Billboard #1 hit from 2000 to 2012. The other a “soul” song from a previous decade.

Well, that's slightly better. 'Soul' covers a lot more than Motown and Billboard #1 hits are at least from this century, and could also cover a wide variety of styles if they can pick things of charts other than the Hot 100.

kelbel

kelbel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

Well aren't there like a million charts now? So conceivably couldn't Colton pick a #1 from the Christian chart and Joshua from the R&B chart?

OK. That's better. I thought it meant only from the Billboard Hot 100.

Try Again

Try Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

Here are the songs I would choose, or I think they may go with tonight. I bold the songs marked #1 on other format charts, because I think they may be flexible about which chart the song went to #1 on.

Joshua
#1 Songs: "U Got It Bad", Usher/ "Let Me Love You", Mario/ "So Sick", Ne-Yo
#1 on other format Charts: "Forget You", Cee-Lo/ "Prettywings", Maxwell/ "There Goes My Baby", Usher
Soul Song: "A Change Is Gonna Gome", Sam Cooke/ "Try a Little Tenderness", Otis Redding (he would kill this song)/ "Can We Talk", Tevin Campbell

Elise- She's going to have a hard time to find a #1 song that fits her if they only go with the Billboard Hot 100
#1 Songs: "Say It Right", Nelly Furtado/
#1 on other format charts: "Who Knew", P!nk/ "Beautiful", Christina Aguilera/ "A Thousand Miles", Vanessa Carlton
Soul Song: "Ex-Factor", Lauryn Hill (I kinda want her to tackle this song)

Skylar
#1 Songs: "Big Girls Don't Cry", Fergie/ "Take a Bow", Rihanna
#1 on other format Charts: "Love Story", Taylor Swift/ "Because of You", Kelly Clarkson/ "I Hope You Dance", LeAnn Womack
Soul Song: Something by Dusty Springfield I can see her doing "Son of a Preacher Man"

Jessica
#1 Songs: "We Belong Together", Mariah Carey/ "No One", Alicia Keys/ "Only Girl (In the World)", Rihanna
#1 on other formart charts: "Be Without You", Mary J. Blige/ "You Don't Know My Name", Alicia Keys/ "Love on Top", Beyonce
Soul Song: "I'd Rather Go Blind", Etta James, "Ain't No Way" Aretha Franklin

Colton
#1 Songs: "You Remind Me", Nickelback/ "You're Beautiful", James Blunt/ "Makes Me Wonder", Maroon 5
#1 on other formart charts: "Without You", David Guetta/ "Apologize", OneRepublic/ "Lips of an Angel", Hinder
Soul Song: "What's Going On", Marvin Gaye (for some reason I can see choosing a song like this)

Phillip
#1 Song: "What Comes Around...Goes Around", Justin Timberlake/ "Fireflies", Owl City/ "Gernade", Bruno Mars
#1 on other format charts: "I'm Yours", Jason Marz / "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", Green Day/ "The Reaoson", Hoobastank
Soul Song: "Backstabber", O'Jays/ "Ain't No Sunshine", Bill Withers

Hollie-
#1 Song: "Bleeding Love", Leona Lewis/ "Fireworks", Katy Perry
#1 on other format charts: "Leave (Get Out)", JoJo/ "Complicated", Avril Lavigne
Soul Song: "Un-break My Heart", Toni Braxton/ "Always Be My Baby", Mariah Carey (she needs to sing a more current soul song)

Please feel free to leave any suggestions.

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

The song list is up. https://fbcdn-sphoto...946826930_n.jpg

I honestly have NO idea. Any of the soul songs could be Joshua. The pop songs aren't that clear either.

New guesses:
PP - Usher?
Colton - Bad Romance?
Skylar - country version of Born This Way?

Old guesses:
Skylar - Son Of A Preacher Man?

aaaand that's all I've got.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

I'd say In the Midnight Hour or Try a Little Tenderness for Phil2, but unless he's doing Usher (which I can't see although I'm not familiar with that particular song), I just don't know. I suspect he's going to be shopping in the ladies' department with Kris Allen. Maybe Rolling in the Deep?

Edited by proserpina65, Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:51 PM.

Try Again

Try Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Okay those are the damn songs people picked for now???

Here are my predictions

Joshua: "I Believe"/ "Try a Little Tenderness"

Colton: "Bad Romance"/ "Let's Get It On"

Skylar: "Born This Way"?/ "Son of a Preacher Man"

Jessica: "Fallin"/ "A Change Is going to Come"

Elise: "Rolling in the Deep"/ "Heard It Through the Grapevine"

Phillip: "U Got It Bad"/ "In the Midnight Hour"

Hollie: "No One"/ "September"

jambalaya2

jambalaya2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

Oooh,

In my head I had picked before I saw this list

Fallin - Jessica
No One - Elise

So I hope I got those two right. Elise on Piano, would do well with this because she doesn't sing perfect which gives her voice that raw quality that Alicia Keyes has on this song. And Jessica would be perfect for Fallin'

My guesses

Colton - Bad Romance
Skylar - I Believe
Joshua - Born this Way
Hollie - Rolling in the Deep
Phil2 - U Got it Bad

I have to say, I love Adele but I don't really need to hear another Adele song.

I have to think about the Then a bit more but I had thought of several of those songs already. This should be a good night.

Edited by jambalaya2, Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:34 PM.

tinybrushes

tinybrushes

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

I'd like to hear Hollie do "Son of a Preacher Man"...she has a bit of a Dusty Springfield vibe to me anyway, and I think it might be good for her. I'm still hoping for a breakout performance by Hollie, as I really like her voice, and if she could just loosen up and put more of herself in her performances, she would really have something.

I can see Elise doing "Lets Get it On"

"A Change is Gonna Come" could work for a few of them...it's been a standout piece for both guys and girls in the past, but to the point that it feels a bit overdone. I'd imagine Joshua going after it, or maybe Jessica, but would actually like to hear what Skylar might do with it.

"In the Midnight Hour" could work for Phil

Not too sure what woulf fit Colton best...

But, honestly,I can kinda see most of the songs working for most of the kids. Isn't SOAPM the only really gender-specific song there?

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

I'd say In the Midnight Hour or Try a Little Tenderness for Phil2, but unless he's doing Usher (which I can't see although I'm not familiar with that particular song), I just don't know. I suspect he's going to be shopping in the ladies' department with Kris Allen. Maybe Rolling in the Deep?

Oh man, I would love to see Phil do Adele because then he'd be exposed for not being able to actually sing. But he knows his limitations so he won't sing that song. This is the same guy who couldn't sing the chorus of the Gotye song so there is no way he'd sing a song with the range Adele has. I'd bet the house he's doing U got it bad. It's a song that sits in the same 3 note range that Phil always does. He can play it accoustically and get all kinds of credit for being artistic. I think he did an Usher song in hollywood week?

jambalaya2

jambalaya2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:21 PM

Then

Elise - Son of a Preacher Man, Dusty Springfield (I would love her to sing this)
Jessica - Try a little Tenderness, Otis Redding (She's going for the Glee Version)
Joshua - Let's Get it Own, Marvin Gaye
Sklyar - A Change is Gonna Come, Sam Cooke
Hollie - Heard it Through the Grapevine, Marvin Gaye
Phil2 - In the Midnight Hour, Wilson Picket
Colton - September, Earth Wind and Fire

I thought of Elise with Let's Get it On also, but I want her for Son of Preacher Man.

I would like to see Hollie have a break out moment but I don't think she will, that's why I think she will go with Adele. It shows her range, but it's safe for her. But if she busts out Bad Romance, I'll be pleasantly surprised, especially if she wears something outrageous, but that is so not going to happen is it.

Edited by jambalaya2, Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:26 PM.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

Oh man, I would love to see Phil do Adele because then he'd be exposed for not being able to actually sing.

See, I think it might prove the opposite: that he can sing. But you're probably right about the range - although does that particular song have that much range? I know Adele does, but it's been awhile since I've heard Rolling in the Deep specifically.

edited to add that I think he could probably handle the Linkin Park version I've heard on the indie station I listen to.

Edited by proserpina65, Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:53 PM.

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

P2 covered Usher in Vegas and it was pretty cool; I could see him doing that again.

Both Hollie and Jessica have RITD covers on YouTube, for whatever that's worth.

It's confirmed that Colton is singing Bad Romance. His bass player tweeted about it.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

See, I think it might prove the opposite: that he can sing. But you're probably right about the range - although does that particular song have that much range? I know Adele does, but it's been awhile since I've heard Rolling in the Deep specifically.

That chorus is monstrous and it also has a falsetto part that would be a glaring omission if someone didn't sing it. And since I can't recall Phil ever having used his falsetto he would have to change that part. If he were doing that song he would have to completely change everything about it to where its unrecognizable. I think Phil can sing within his limited range which is why I think "u got it bad" could work for him. Unlike some other usher songs, that one doesn't ask a ton of the vocalist. Although now that I think about it, if he slows that song down anymore it could get kind of sleepy.

Edited by MV007, Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:42 PM.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

That chorus is monstrous and it also has a falsetto part that would be a glaring omission if someone didn't sing it. And since I can't recall Phil ever having used his falsetto he would have to change that part. If he were doing that song he would have to completely change everything about it to where its unrecognizable.

I don't think changing the chorus would necessarily render the song unrecognizable, but then again, I'm basing that on a non-Adele version I've heard most recently. I think Rolling in the Deep could work without falsetto, but I grant that I could be absolutely wrong about that. I bow to your greater knowledge of the Usher song, however, as I'm not sure I could pick Usher out on the radio if I was forced to at gunpoint. (Not saying Usher isn't good, just that I'm not familiar with his music for the most part.) Heck, I didn't realize Phil had already done an Usher song in the sing for your life episode. It is looking like that's what he's probably doing tonight.

kelbel

kelbel

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Wow! Two Lady Gaga songs? Two Alicia Keys songs? And Adele? By the looks of the Now list, it looks like they were just limited to Hot 100 chart.

I have no idea who's singing what on the Then list.

"I Believe" has Joshua written all over it. I'll be shocked if it's anyone other him. He's the only one I can see pulling it off successfully too. That's a difficult song to cover.

I can see either Jessica, Hollie, or Elise doing "Rolling in the Deep." I have mixed feelings if Hollie's the one singing it. Her Youtube cover is fantastic! If she can translate that on the Idol stage, I'll be very impressed. But I just know the judges will throw her under the bus for it.

I'm really tired of "Let's Get it On." I dread the person singing that song.

Skylar's probably doing "Born This Way." Lady Gaga did a country version of it. It should be interesting.

Edited by kelbel, Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:22 PM.

madam magpie

madam magpie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

I can see Elise doing "Lets Get it On"

She is the ONLY one of them who could do this and have it not come across as ridiculous. That said, I really don't want her to do it. It's so overdone, and I'm happy to let one of those kids sink with a song that's all about sex. I want her on "Son of a Preacher Man." That would be fantastic.

I'm not the least bit jazzed about the "now" songs. Disappointing, but not really surprising.

Do we think the songs are lining up in the order the contestants will sing? So, for example, if Elise does Preacher Man," she also would have to do the Usher song?

Edited by madam magpie, Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:28 PM.

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

Do we think the songs are lining up in the order the contestants will sing? So, for example, if Elise does Preacher Man," she also would have to do the Usher song?

Doubtful, unless Colton is doing "Let's Get It On," which- given his religion and religious fanbase- I just can't see.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

I don't think changing the chorus would necessarily render the song unrecognizable, but then again, I'm basing that on a non-Adele version I've heard most recently.

I'm certainly open to being proven wrong with Philip. I'd love nothing more then to be blown away by something he does. I do remember David Cook covering rolling in the deep and he was teriffic on it and well he's a completely different singer then Philip so I just can't picture Phil doing it. I think its Hollie and I think it's not going to go well. I just prey that it isn't Jessica. Because the last thing she needs is to do another note for note copy of a big diva song.

Edited by MV007, Apr 18, 2012 @ 4:14 PM.

jambalaya2

jambalaya2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

For Now and Then night, though, were finalists tackle one recent Billboard #1 and one soul song, Sanchez says she's concentrating on showing a little more emotion in addition to her spot-on technique. "J. Lo said that she wants me to take her on a journey, so I took that into consideration and I'm really, really working on it, and I think that'll come out this week."

Although she can't spill any details on her song choice, Sanchez promises, "I'm going to show more of my gritty, rough side. Yeah!"

Jessica is definetely not singing Rolling in the Deep. She knows she will go for playing it safe.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

I usually try not to think so literally, but I'd rather not see anyone but Joshua or Jessica doing "A Change is Going to Come," Sam Cooke wrote it as a civil rights anthem, and unless the white person doing it is Adam Lambert, I'd rather not see some white kid do it---beside, if Joshua could give it a Terence Trent Darby touch (my favorite version of the tune after Cooke's)he could kill it.

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

What I think:

No One/Son of a Peacher Man - Hollie
I Believe/September - Joshua
Rolling in the Deep/Try a Little Tenderness - Skylar
U Got it Bad/Heard it Through the Grapevine - Phil Phil
Born This Way/Let's Get it On - Elise
Fallin/A Change is Gonna Come - Jessica
Bad Romance/In the Midnight Hour - Colton

These are just really disappointing; at least on paper.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

Well, at least I like Lady Gaga and Adele, although, I haven't heard too many people tackle either songs well (imo, of course). Also, it's starting to feel repetitive hearing their songs.

I'd like to hear Hollie do "Son of a Preacher Man"...she has a bit of a Dusty Springfield vibe to me anyway, and I think it might be good for her. I'm still hoping for a breakout performance by Hollie, as I really like her voice, and if she could just loosen up and put more of herself in her performances, she would really have something.

I agree with the second part of your thought, but I'm afraid if she's the one doing it, it won't go well. She's been dinged a lot for not putting emotion into her performances and this song really needs a connection. In fact, I don't recall anyone doing this song well in past seasons (but, admittedly, I could be forgetting someone). I hope it's Elise that attempts it.

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:44 AM

Next week's theme is Queen. Just Queen. Does that mean two Queen songs each for them? That'll be something.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

Next week's theme is Queen

Is it wrong of me to hope that Joshua has to sing Fat-Bottomed Girls? ;-)

I actually want to hear Phillip sing that particular song, but it would just be so inappropriate for gospelly Joshua that it probably would be a hoot to watch. I just hope (and I know I'm hoping in vain) that no-one does Bohemian Rhapsody or We Will Rock You/We are the Champions; those two are played out on this show.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

I would nearly be willing to bet my life that two of Jessica, Joshua and Hollie will scoop up "The Show Must Go On" and "Who Wants to Live Forever." The one that is left out will likely do "Somebody to Love" (probably Joshua). I'd like to see Elise tackle "Death on Two Legs," and P2 will probably go predictable and do "Crazy Little Thing Called Love." As for Skylar, I can't imaging anything she could do that won't be so twangy as to make me stabby. We shall see.

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

Colton said he was planning to sing "The Show Must Go On" for Queen week if he hadn't gotten eliminated. Not knowing how early they select songs and begin practicing, if everyone else picked a different song assuming that was his, perhaps no one else will end up singing it?

I would love to hear Joshua or Jessica do "Somebody To Love." I'm partially nervous and partially excited to see how Skylar plans to inject some country into this week (or maybe she's just going to go full on Rock for once).

Edited by Spy Idol, Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:48 PM.

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

I so want Skylar to do one of the big angsty songs like The Show Must Go On or Who Wants to Live Forever. Queen week in S5 was one of my favorite weeks ever and Paris and Kat absolutely nailed those. This could be great or it could be a total trainwreck - it won't be in the middle.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

My husband would vote until his fingers bled if P2 sang '39 but he'd be the only one since it's such an obscure Queen song.

Queen--always a fun night in this house. I get to listen to the biggest Queen fan ever (!) moan and groan about how they are killing it and not in a good way.

So, still including an obscure song or two, how about:

Skylar: My Best Friend Or, will she be predictable and go for Crazy Little Thing Called Love?
Jessica: Don't Stop Me Now, Who Wants to Live Forever
Joshua: *Same suggestions as Jessica
Philip: Another One Bites the Dust, I'm in Love With My Car
Hollie: Radio Gaga, Seven Seas of Rhye
Elise: We Are the Champions, Keep Yourself Alive

Boy, that was harder than I thought. There are very few songs that I can see working the these 5 voices.