Idol Speculation

• Please log in to reply

16890 replies to this topic

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 2:43 PM

People have mentioned Katie singing SuBo's Wild Horses, but I would really love to see Didi do a take on The Sundays' version (used in Buffy the Vampire Slayer). I think she could do really well with it.

Anyone else looking forward to Lacey getting absolutely swallowed by the bigger stage and audience? I'm really hoping that the arena switch will be her undoing.

DallasCrane

DallasCrane

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 10:23 PM

According to MJ's blog here, Siobhan will be singing Paint it Black this week.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Mar 16, 2010 @ 3:21 PM.
Not a spoiler

Song of Roland

Song of Roland

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2010 @ 11:50 PM

Yeah, good luck to Siobhan with that. I believe 2 others have gone down in flames with that song, IIRC. (It has a 28% rating on WNTS). But maybe she'll kill on it.

PatD

PatD

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2010 @ 4:07 PM

Really, the smartest thing would be for them to stay away from the anthems. The Stones have a really large catalog to pick from, and their early stuff (from the first album to "Between the Buttons") is made up of some pretty damn cool music that could be given new life.

Edited by PatD, Mar 14, 2010 @ 4:07 PM.

CassyLee

CassyLee

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2010 @ 6:23 PM

I expect one of the girls will be singing "Beast of Burden", a la Bette Midler. I wouldn't mind if it was Crystal, except having read the suggestion of "Gimme Shelter", I really want that for her.

PerryMason

PerryMason

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2010 @ 8:49 PM

Put me on the Crystal Sings Gimme Shelter Train. It would not only be awesome, it would cleanse my brain of the memory of Fergie singing it with Mick Jagger on the Rock and Roll 25th Anniversary Hall of Fame show. Yes, Fergie. {{shudders}}

I do like As Tears Go By For Didi Woeismi. Alternatively, she could do 19th Nervous Breakdown.

Since Andrew likes to do acoustic versions of songs sung by women, maybe he'll do SuBo's Wild Horses instead of Katie.

Edited by PerryMason, Mar 14, 2010 @ 8:50 PM.

Soleil

Soleil

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2010 @ 9:47 PM

I hope Crystal does "Gimme Shelter." I think she's about the only one that could give it the guts it deserves (and could be the only one to rival the version the Clark Brothers did on that band show that only about four of us watched).

I'd be number four. And that was a great, great cover of that song.

Make it 5!

Six! That show was so crappy, but that one band (and that particular performance) felt like an instant classic.

I predict that whoever gets "Gimme Shelter" will have an Idol Moment. Let's just hope it's a good one.

(And ditto to wishing this had been a S8 theme. Adam freaking out to "Gimme Shelter"? Allison doing something badass? Gokey shooting himself in the foot again with another gurgly death scream?)

bzork

bzork

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2010 @ 11:50 PM

Seven! I too wish this could have been an S8 theme. However, I hope that MamaB does in fact to Gimme Shelter. I had hoped for PiB for Siobhan and she's doing it, so I have some hope!

Wow. I didn't realize I gave enough of a fuzzy little rat's ass to want song spoilers. Maybe this season won't suck.

So rumour has it that Season 10 is the final season and that they are FINALLY going to do the All-Star Cast. I really hope they do. I've wanted to see Idol done a la 'Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader' with the really good Idols of all time going for xxxx dollars for charity based on placement in the finishing. It'd be a nice way to go out.

I can't imagine the vitriol though. Hell, I don't think I could vote if there were a ton of my favorites in there. Maybe if people kept it light, but I don't see that ever happening in Idolland.

I can't say I'm surprised by this with 19E in Britain being closed and CXW (or whatever the parent is) actively shopping the franchise on the market. I just hope that a bunch of ex-Idols don't get fucked when they're part of a portfolio of assets that gets sold. That would be a real shame.

Edited by bzork, Mar 14, 2010 @ 11:52 PM.

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2010 @ 6:24 PM

I'm just hoping someone does "As Tears Go By" because that was my very favortist song to slow dance to back in the day.

My biggest speculation of the week, though, is how in the hell is Ke$ha going to sing Blah Blah Blah on broadcast TV, much less a "family show" (yeah, yeah I know - the guest artists haven't been family friendly in the past couple of years). Tik Tok would be bad enough but Blah Blah Blah? Really?

Of course, I'm actually more offended that the silly little twit put a dollar sign in the middle of her name, but still...

PatD

PatD

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2010 @ 7:26 PM

Gimme Shelter would be a perfect match for Crystal's voice, but that song's a long buildup, and they only have a couple of minutes. I hate that, BTW. At this point, there's enough time for the finalists to sing a whole song.

Edited by PatD, Mar 15, 2010 @ 7:27 PM.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2010 @ 8:50 PM

Here's what Gimme Shelter sounded like on the Canadian version.

bzork

bzork

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2010 @ 9:34 PM

Also, if the last season isn't an All Star Season, I would like to see all the really popular Idols come back as mentors. I think that would be awesome and would send the show out with a bunch of warm fuzzies (and increased viewership).

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2010 @ 10:32 PM

Also, if the last season isn't an All Star Season, I would like to see all the really popular Idols come back as mentors. I think that would be awesome and would send the show out with a bunch of warm fuzzies (and increased viewership).

That's a really great idea. Imagine David Cook or Adam Lambert mentoring this crew?! At a minimum, I hope they continue the frequent musical performances of Idol alums on result night. I always feel it's a little lame when a major act performs on the Idol stage ... it's like they're invaders. Jason Castro has a new EP out ... hmm...

And I know they don't have Paula as a judge this season, but couldn't they bring her back once to work the choreography - the group numbers have been particularly bad so far.

JazzzHands

JazzzHands

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2010 @ 1:39 PM

I get to be the eighth fan of the Clark Brothers, yay me! For those who have lost track of them, but still remember "Gimme Shelter" with affection: The Clark Brothers changed their band name to Sons of Sylvia (www.sonsofsylvia.com). They are currently the opening act on Carrie Underwood's tour. They're featured on Carrie's song "What Can I Say", both as instrumentalists and with Ashley singing a duet with her. Their new CD, "Revelation", which will be released on April 27, is now available for pre-order on amazon.com: pre-order link on amazon.

PerryMason

PerryMason

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2010 @ 5:55 PM

Song spoilers for tonight from someone at rehearsals (posted at MJs) (misspellings in the original post):

Michael – Miss You
Didi – Play with fire
Casey – all over now
Lacey – ruby Tuesday
Andrew – gimme shelter
Katie – wild horses
Tim – under my thumb
Siobhan – paint it black
Lee – beast of burden
Paige – honky Tonk women
Aaron – Angie
Crystal. you don’t always get

I'm LMAO at Katie and Andrew's choices.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Mar 18, 2010 @ 5:29 AM.
Not a spoiler

realitycynic

realitycynic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2010 @ 6:29 PM

I'm LMAO at Katie and Andrew's choices.

I'd add Tim's choice to that.

Some are quite predictable. Some could be interesting.

Any info on whether this is also the performance order?

Miss Mia

Miss Mia

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2010 @ 6:44 PM

MJ's blog says that's the order.

krcit

krcit

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2010 @ 7:43 PM

Angie is my all time favorite song. Probably not after tonight.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2010 @ 2:09 AM

Just a reminder, song choices are not spoilers.

Sedruol

Sedruol

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 12:57 AM

So the word on MJs is that the theme for next week is "Teen Idol" - I think she's still waiting for confirmation. Anyone else heard if this is the theme? (If it is, then Katie must have more clout than I originally supposed!)

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 5:30 AM

Song choices/speculation are not spoilers. Please don't tag them as such.

Once the live shows start airing, nothing is a spoiler anymore.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Mar 18, 2010 @ 5:30 AM.

kattam6175

kattam6175

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 10:33 AM

"Teen Idols" is a really broad category, so I hope the contestants pick some of the older ones and not just Taylor Swift and Jonas Brothers.

Who is a really obvious one (or not so obvious) that I'm missing?

Frank Sinatra
Judy Garland
Paul Anka
Elvis Presley
Frankie Lymon
Annette Funicello
Frankie Avalon
Bobby Darin
Fabian
Connie Francis
Stevie Wonder
David Cassidy
Ricky Nelson
Beatles
Bobby Sherman
The Monkees
The Osmonds
Michael Jackson
Leif Garrett
Tanya Tucker
Rick Springfield
Tiffany
Debbie Gibson
Bobby Brown
NKOTB
Brandy
Britney Spears
LeeAnn Rimes
NSync
Backstreet Boys
Hanson
Jonas Brothers
Justin Bieber
Miley Cyrus
Taylor Swift

Nonlocal

Nonlocal

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 11:40 AM

I think it's a safe bet that Siobhan will pull something out of the Hanson catalog, since she's a huge fan. And if it's anything other than "Mmmbop," it will be new to me.

A lot of teen-idol hits will naturally sound ludicrous when sung by adults. If I were one of the post-adolescent contestants, I'd probably take refuge in Michael Jackson's solo work, or maybe Tanya Tucker's early material.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 11:48 AM

What about Buddy Holly or Ricky Valens? Of course, when I was a young teen, I was crazy about Duran Duran, but I'm not sure if they'd qualify.

And if it's anything other than "Mmmbop," it will be new to me.

Heh. Same here :)

Thegirliscrazy

Thegirliscrazy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 11:55 AM

Off the top of my head - The Osmonds (?), Janet, Paula probably, Madonna, New Edition, Monica, Aaliyah, Mandy Moore, Christina Aguilera, maybe Jessica Simpson (she did have a couple of hits on the first album), Immature/Imx, B2K/Omarion, Demi Lovato/Selena Gomez/any other Disney act that I can't be bothered to recall, and of course, AI's own Kelly and Jordin. Shoot, Archie and Allison for that matter (obviously that would be pushing it popularity-wise, but w/e).

'Teen Idols' is an odd category though. Like you said, it's extremely broad if not given some parameters (if someone is allowed to pick Bobby Brown then what is to stop them from picking Keith Sweat, or if they can pick Michael then why not Prince, for example). So I'm going to guess that if this is the theme tptb will pigeonhole the category by specifying teenage idols and/or idols who specifically had an obvious teen fanbase. In that sense, solo Bobby Brown would likely be out but New Edition would be in. Solo adult Michael was everyone's Idol, but a Jackson 5 song would likely be allowed.

Artists like Janet and Madonna are a bit trickier b/c their 'teen Idol' years were definitely the 80's. Once the 90's hit both of their fanbases became much broader in age range as they progressed into more adult material. So I don't know if tptb would allow just those 80's songs, all of their songs, or disallow them altogether.

So the word on MJs is that the theme for next week is "Teen Idol" - I think she's still waiting for confirmation. Anyone else heard if this is the theme? (If it is, then Katie must have more clout than I originally supposed!)

If this theme is their way of trying to throw Katie a softball then tptb are denser than I thought. The very problem with Katie is that she is not 'young' enough in performance style or spirit. She is a pageant girl with pageant coaching and a pageant discography running through her cute little pageant head. When Ryan asked her on top 20 week who were some artists close to her age that she liked, she was truly stumped for an answer. On top 16 week she went to Kelly Clarkson, likely b/c outside of Idol she has no reference point for this 'youth' that they keep asking her to bring, and did poorly. So a teen idol theme IMO would only highlight those weaknesses tenfold, b/c Katie only has three options here:

1. fall into old habits and pick Judy Garland
2. pick Tattoo (and pale in comparison) b/c again, she has no teen reference point outside of Idol and she's already sung Kelly
3. pick a song by Britney or Miley or whoever and have a trainwreck akin to Archuleta trying to sing Chris Brown's "With You"

I personally am rooting for #3 myself; I never turn down a good trainwreck.

Anyway, I would think this theme would actually help out Tim and Siobhan the most. Tim b/c he has that Glee-via-70's-idol-haircut appeal that fits perfectly, and Siobhan b/c as much as I love her, the one thing she has not done yet is sing a current song (or at least 'young' in feeling, like Hanson would be) and this would be her opportunity to do that. There's also Aaron, but I figure he will suck and then get inordinately praised like he always does. No real difference there.

Edited by Thegirliscrazy, Mar 18, 2010 @ 12:02 PM.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 11:59 AM

I think you could probably include Dion, New Edition, Andy Gibb, Olivia Newton John, Ritchie Valens, Menudo, and I'm sure a bunch of others I'm just not coming up with right now. I think Duran Duran would fit, too, Teagan1, and maybe even Def Leppard and Bon Jovi. Rocker teens gotta have their Teen Idols, too. ;)

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 12:17 PM

maybe even Def Leppard and Bon Jovi. Rocker teens gotta have their Teen Idols, too. ;)

eep! How could I have forgotten my late teens! Oh yeah, a lot of those bands would qualify, too.

Nonlocal

Nonlocal

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 12:50 PM

Ooh ... would Wham! make the cut?

vroom

vroom

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 1:27 PM

Spice Girls!!

Edited by vroom, Mar 18, 2010 @ 1:38 PM.

PerryMason

PerryMason

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2010 @ 1:52 PM

Biggest Teen Idols of all time? The Beatles. And they have the rights to the Lennon-McCartney song book. Or at least they did in Season 7.

Perhaps Andrew will revert to type and sing a stripped down acoustic version of "Oops, I Did It Again."

Edited by PerryMason, Mar 18, 2010 @ 1:53 PM.