Idol Speculation

• Please log in to reply

16890 replies to this topic

eatingpaste

eatingpaste

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 7:26 PM

Resuscitating this thread for AI3 speculation.

I guess that this picture from the official site is of some new famewhores?

http://www.idolonfox...ners_street.jpg

What a bunch of Blandy McBlandersons.

Edited by eatingpaste, Jan 9, 2004 @ 7:26 PM.

Blake

Blake

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 7:34 PM

I'm guessing that these are just some random auditioners. I wouldn't necessarily count on ever seeing them again.

Heh, I remember hearing about several early audition favorites before AI2 started. I think one of them was seen in the first audition episode, but not one person I had heard of made the top 32.

amd21

amd21

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 7:50 PM

The one thing about AI is that they are not going to show anyone in the top 32 before the first episode or two. They want to keep the people guessing. So all the people we're seeing now in the commericals sadly got cut at one point or another!

eatingpaste

eatingpaste

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 8:23 PM

The thought that those people, and remembering that Kelly Clarkson was unknown until her group of 10 performance, warms my heart a little bit that this season won't make me regret buying TiVo.

hielevation

hielevation

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 8:53 PM

The thought that those people, and remembering that Kelly Clarkson was unknown until her group of 10 performance, warms my heart a little bit that this season won't make me regret buying TiVo.

Nothing will make you regret buying TiVo. Enjoy.

Topic. Ruben figured pretty prominently in the auditions as I recall, as did Clay. Of course, this time, the winner will be a woman again.

pyropianist

pyropianist

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 8:59 PM

I came across this article some time ago. Don't think it's ever been posted here. This girl made Hollywood according to this local article She's from Hawaii and it seems like she has a backstory/audition as compelling and TV worthy as Clay's.

After watching two seasons of Idol, I've concluded that viewer identification (which the producers can easily exploit) matters just as much as--if not more than--talent. With Ana, I can see a lot of potential for viewer identification, provided she is any good. She's an accomplished student athelete, so we might assume that she's fit and hardworking, and I can see the producers foisting an exotic image on her if she's unusually pretty. At the same time, we associate student-athlete with All-American. Yet she's an multiethnic immigrant with a cosmopolitan upbringing. And she seems like a nice person. Some interesting points of convergence. It will be interesting to see how the producers portray her, because I'm positive they'll air her audition of Guava Jelly.

stlouischili

stlouischili

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 12:34 AM

Kimberly Caldwell was featured prominently in the season 2 promos before the first show aired.
Anyone remember any other finalists in the preview commercials last year?

I do remember a really good guy in the Season 2 promo ads singing Ain't too Proud to Beg, but I don't recall seeing him anywhere but the commercials.

Buggy10

Buggy10

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 1:14 AM

Last year (if I remember correctly) the only two featured particularly prominantly in the promos were Kimberly Caldwell and this guy who sang "What's going on, what's going on?" Guess that was all we got to see of him... For the first season, the only "good" singer I remember featured in the commercials was R.J

splitchick59

splitchick59

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 10:11 AM

"What's Going On" guy was Michael Craig, the 16-year-old-going-on-25. On the show, the judges sent him to Hollywood and then we never saw him again.

amani

amani

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 10:30 AM

I do remember a really good guy in the Season 2 promo ads singing Ain't too Proud to Beg, but I don't recall seeing him anywhere but the commercials.

I remember him too! I was disappointed when we didn't see his audition during the actual show. And for the first season, I think I remember Tamyra being in the commercials.

This season, I think one blandly pretty boy will make it to the final 4. The winner will probably be a Latina female, and the runner-up will be an African-American female. The third slot will be a wild-card person.

talabone

talabone

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 11:31 AM

This season, I think one blandly pretty boy will make it to the final 4. The winner will probably be a Latina female,
                      and the runner-up will be an African-American female. The third slot will be a wild-card person.

ITA about the african-amercain female coming in second or winning it all. Possible a Latina though or maybe even a cute white boy ;-), oh, no wait...that should have been Clay!

Cuckoo

Cuckoo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 11:31 AM

I think they'll try their best to come up with a Tamyra who under no circumstances will get 'Tamyra'd'. Top 2 at least, if not the winner.

mercenary13

mercenary13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 1:08 PM

Looks as if there will be two weeks of audition shows, or 5-6 hours worth (January 19, 20, 21, 27, 28). Poor, poor Shack.

The "Hollywood" rounds will be shown on February 3rd and 4th. The official "Idol" website reports that the semifinalists' information (photos, bios) will be available on February 4th.

It looks like there will be 36 semifinalists, with 9 singers competing for 4 weeks, from February 10th through March 3rd.

Wild Card week probably will be March 9th & 10th.

There will probably be 12 finalists again, with the first "live" performance show on March 16th. The Grand FInale should be May 25th & 26th.

Blake

Blake

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 1:13 PM

I think they'll try their best to come up with a Tamyra who under no circumstances will get 'Tamyra'd'.

I have a theory that Ruben's win was supposed to "fix" the Tamyra "mistake". I've been wanting to discuss it more at length in the conspiracy theory thread, but I keep getting lazy.

AlexDS69

AlexDS69

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 2:36 PM

I wonder if Kanoelani Gibson of Hawaii will be featured in the auditions shows? I know that when she competed at Miss America 2003-2004, she said that she got rejected by Simon Cowell. I'm hoping that it was for this upcoming season and not the seasons before. If it was the case, then they should mention that she made it all the way to 1st runner-up at Miss America.

Jenna47

Jenna47

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 3:27 PM

Any speculation on potential guest judges? From what I've heard about the upcoming season, they've said there will be guest judges and they've said there won't (a fourth judge will join halfway through). Knowing AI, God knows what they'll eventually do, but here are some predictions if they do have guest judges:

I think Gladys Knight will return, and I'd like her to come back because she was a pretty good judge. However, if she comes up with another stupid Velvet Teddy Bear-esque nickname, I'll have to change my mind.

I also think Neil Sedaka might judge again, with Clay releasing Solitaire and everything. He was also a halfway decent judge -- at least he wasn't too boring.

I think Mariah Carey might judge one week -- I heard somewhere she has an album coming out in May, and God knows she's going to have to do everything she can to promote it. If the final few contestants are all female they could have a Mariah Carey night (or just get her to judge any night no matter what the theme is, like they did with Gladys and Movie Night).

Other possibilities: Deborah Gibson, because was a judge on American Juniors (but she gave good, constructive criticism, so I doubt they'd have her on the show because she'd make the regular three look like even bigger morons than they already are). Maybe they'll have Nick Carter or some other ex-boy band member (I think Lance Bass will do about anything right now). I remember there was a rumor Jessica Simpson was going to be the new fourth judge, but I think that was before Newlyweds. I doubt they'd have her now, because nobody would take her seriously.

Any other ideas?

ETA:

I think the Paul McCartney rumor could come true.

I hope that rumor isn't true, because I'd hate to have the finalists butcher any Beatles songs. I doubt Paul would do it, anyway.

Edited by Jenna47, Jan 18, 2004 @ 4:04 PM.

amani

amani

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 3:28 PM

After watching the TV Guide Channel special, I definitely stand my prediction that a blandly pretty boy will make it to the final four. Watch out for a curly haired blonde boy from Atlanta.

ETA: I think the Paul McCartney rumor could come true. I could see Nick Lachey being a guest judge...hmm, I could see Anita Baker or one of the Pointer Sisters making an appearance as well.

Edited by amani, Jan 18, 2004 @ 3:31 PM.

lindakoy

lindakoy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 3:59 PM

I thought that the AI producers were negotiating with Pete Wasserman for him to become the 4th judge? Pete is a judge on the UK Pop Idol show (and was the UK representative judge on World Idol).

TheCustomOfLife

TheCustomOfLife

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 8:22 PM

That seems to be the story from England but none of the American media outlets have said anything to that effect.

Cheese Pleese

Cheese Pleese

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 5:12 AM

Jenna47 -

I believe I read in the It's Back: AI3 thread that Mariah banned her songs from being sung at auditions. But then again since she and Randy!Randy!Randy! are friends it might be a possibility. I'd love to see Mariah. She could sing and bring the crazy. And yes, I guess I am a fan.

mercenary13

mercenary13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 10:50 AM

A news article I read said that the show is trying to get Elton John, Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder as celebrity judges.

lindakoy

lindakoy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 11:38 AM

Elton John made an appearance on the UK Pop Idol 2 (via tape, not live) recently when they did his songs as a theme show. So, there seems to be a good possibility that he'd be open to being a guest judge.

Edited by lindakoy, Jan 19, 2004 @ 11:38 AM.

claireb

claireb

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 12:11 PM

I thought that it was auditions this week, Mon, Tues, Wed, and next week they were showing Hollywood...?

Also I thought that the Peter Waterman rumour was for being signed up to be a permanent 4th Judge on AI4...but again that could be wrong!!

Also on the Elton John point, he also performed on World Idol, which is another link to the show.

Edited by claireb, Jan 19, 2004 @ 12:12 PM.

Cuckoo

Cuckoo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 1:05 PM

Plus, 'Elton John' has been the theme at both Pop Idol and recently German Idol too (Elton John for the guys, Madonna for the girls). So I wouldn't be surprised;

Blake

Blake

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 1:10 PM

Elton John for the guys, Madonna for the girls

That's kind of weird. Did they think Elton John was unsuitable for the girls (and Madonna unsuitable for the boys), or did they just want to make it more diverse? Cause on AI everyone had to sing Billy Joel, which seemed pretty limited to me.

mercenary13

mercenary13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 2:24 PM

This week: Auditions to be shown from New York, Atlanta and Houston.

January 27th: Auditions from Los Angeles and San Francisco

January 28th: Auditions from Honolulu.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 3:30 PM

They're really loading up on the bad auditions I see.

Speaking of, there's this Asian girl in a bright blue top and body glitter that has shown up a few times in the previews and commercials. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the heck she's supposed to be singing. Any ideas?

Cathode Tube

Cathode Tube

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 3:34 PM

Any ideas?

I'm thinking it was something the "good Lord" put in her mouth.
I promised my loved ones I would not watch this season. I would like to confess here and now that that was a big big lie.

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 3:45 PM

I've been trying and trying to recognize anything in what she's singing -- words, tune, something. I heard a commercial on the radio the other day and, if it's the same girl, something finally sounded vaguely familiar. The girl on the radio -- who may just be another bad audition -- sounded a little bit like she was trying to sing Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back to Me Now." I understood no words, but it sounded like that was what the tune was intended to be. It was really bad, though, so it could have been "Fat Bottomed Girls" for all I know.

canadiancutie

canadiancutie

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 4:10 PM

Nick Lachey? Somehow, I'm not entirely sure I see him in the same class of singer/performer as Gladys Knight or Neil Sedaka...with Newlywed fame-whoring lurking in every tabloid, I would be disappointed to see him, but not altogether surprised. As long as Jessica's not there, I'm happy.
And as for Paul McCartney, all I can say is WOO-HOO! I think he'd be great. Ditto if Pete from Pop Idol joined the panel.