Cheers: Where Everybody knows Your Name

• Please log in to reply

1091 replies to this topic

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

On Murphy Brown, they had him play the kind of jackass who would say that.

Agreed. That's why he seemed to work better on there even if he was a bit much to take. I think he was playing a very thinly disguised version of Limbaugh. I remember him on Cheers, but nothing about the role stands out as that memorable.

Hmm. I just talked myself into thinking that maybe he was deliberately trying to get out of his Cheers role to take Murphy Brown. :-) Probably not as neither was a fulltime gig, but hey it would explain something like that.

Edited by vb68, Feb 9, 2012 @ 2:02 PM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

I wonder if they would have kept the Eddie character if it hadn't been necessary to work another Rhea Perlman pregnancy into the script.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

Agreed. That's why he seemed to work better on there even if he was a bit much to take. I think he was playing a very thinly disguised version of Limbaugh. I remember him on Cheers, but nothing about the role stands out as that memorable.

I think it was actually Morton Downey Jr..

Shalamar

Shalamar

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

Eddie was not written with any funny quirks or personality traits

Au contraire - he was Canadian, so he said "Eh" all the time. Like we Canadians do on a constant basis, dontchaknow. *eyeroll*

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

One of the funniest things that came out of Eddie's death is when Carla started dating again she kept seeing guys in hockey masks everywhere!

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

Didn't it turn out Eddie was a bigamist?

vb68

vb68

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

Didn't it turn out Eddie was a bigamist?

Yes, it did. I thought that retroactively made the big scene where he introduced his mother to Carla (the mother thought Rebecca was Carla at first) funnier. Before she saw Carla, his mom was pictured as "oh yes, sonny boy is getting married finally!"

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

In the newly revamped forum, it's hard to search within the forum. So if it's been asked, sorry. But does anyone know where I could find the episode of The Tonight Show that Jay did live following the Cheers finale? It was removed from youtube.

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

I thought I saw that link once on Ken Levine's blog, but I think it would have been the youtube link. But I suggest checking through his Cheers posts; besides the fact I love his blog, he recently wrote about what MASH and Cheers episodes he wish he could re-write some 20+ years. later.

rubaco

rubaco

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

But does anyone know where I could find the episode of The Tonight Show that Jay did live following the Cheers finale?

Ugh, they were drunk (or most of them were, anyway... I don't think Ted Danson was) and it wasn't at all funny, IMO. But I suppose that's why you want to see it, for the "train wreck" factor.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Ugh, they were drunk (or most of them were, anyway... I don't think Ted Danson was) and it wasn't at all funny, IMO. But I suppose that's why you want to see it, for the "train wreck" factor.

You are absolutely right. For the most part, I didn't think it was too bad, at least it was wildly entertaining watching Jay Leno try to save the segment.

I grew up watching Frasier and just finished up most of Cheers on Netflix. Maybe it's because of my bias coming at the show after watching the spin-off, but Frasier and Lilith became my favorite characters on Cheers. There seemed to be more positive growth and development in terms of their characters than any other character that wasn't Sam and Diane/Rebecca (though her character's development wasn't that positive). Other than that, it's pretty much a timeless show. While there were some instances where the lack of cell phones or smart phones stand out, for the most part, doesn't hurt the show at all. The comedy is still well written and the jokes are still funny. Definitely a fun show to watch. And now I get some things that were mentioned on Frasier.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

Hey, a new 1980's Sitcom Survival game is beginning in the Rec Room soon.

New players welcome. Come see us in the Rec Room!

rubaco

rubaco

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

Cheers Oral History from GQ. Interesting stuff!

purist

purist

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

That article is so great - full of fascinating information. As a book nerd, I particularly liked this:

Ratzenberger: It was the last generation of writers that had grown up reading books instead of watching TV. So you weren't getting anything that was derivative of I Love Lucy or Happy Days. You were getting real characters [like those] they read in P.G. Wodehouse or Dickens or somewhere along the line, because they had all grown up with a love of literature.

Edited by purist, Sep 29, 2012 @ 8:41 AM.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

That quote reminds me of one of my favorite subplots. Where Frasier is trying to read Charles Dickens to the guys but they could care less, so he starts to add things to make it more exciting for them:

'As Sidney Carton climbed into the Apache helicopter, he said "'tis a far better thing I do, than I have ever done before. 'tis a far better... butt-kicking I give, than I have ever given before!"

Edited by Sighandeyeroll, Sep 29, 2012 @ 11:01 AM.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

I love how everyone seems to still hate Shelley Long, and Rhea wouldn't even discuss it.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

Danson: ... I maintain that I got Sam because I was teamed with Shelley. She was really unique. You can't imagine anyone else playing Diane. She was Diane.

This echoes what Danson says on the S1 or S2 DVD set. He acknowledges how lucky he was to be teamed with Shelley during the audition process, which is very generous -- and, IMO, true. It did take him a few seasons to inhabit Sam in the same way that Shelley simply was Diane from day 1.

Les Charles (co-creator): Shelley knew who her character was and had a much surer idea of herself than the rest of the cast. She was able to carry the show in the beginning while the others were finding their way.

Another nice acknowledgement. I wonder if he has any regrets about the character assassination they wrote for Diane in S5.

Rhea Perlman: ... I can't say I based [Carla] on anybody I knew.

Interesting, 'cause there were times I swore she was channeling her husband's performance as Louie on Taxi.

Ken Levine (writer/producer): The final two episodes of the first season were shot in one night and build to that scene where Sam and Diane are fighting—"Are you as turned on as I am?" "More"—and they kiss. The audience went absolutely crazy nuts. I turned to David Isaacs and said, "We've peaked. There's nothing we can do with these two that is going to evoke that much of a reaction."

I can understand that fear, but boy, did they ever come roaring back with the opener of S2. "Be very careful what you say. It could be used against you in a court of law."

MyAlias

MyAlias

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

In news to make you feel old, the pilot aired 30 years ago today.

"Cheers" at 30: Eight Reasons Why the Classic Sitcom Still Matters.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

This echoes what Danson says on the S1 or S2 DVD set. He acknowledges how lucky he was to be teamed with Shelley during the audition process, which is very generous -- and, IMO, true. It did take him a few seasons to inhabit Sam in the same way that Shelley simply was Diane from day 1.

Very true. Ted Danson grew into an incredible actor and I get excited when I see him on things now. He is always interesting in a role. But Shelley Long was far more natural in the first season. He seemed to always be playing catch up to her. Which only helped their dynamic.

Angeltoes

Angeltoes

Fanatic

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

You are absolutely right. For the most part, I didn't think it was too bad, at least it was wildly entertaining watching Jay Leno try to save the segment.

They'd gotten plastered because the city of Boston had hosted them all day and they drank everywhere they went. I remember Leno trying to save his show by hauling out a Cheers trivia game. He figured it would be a waste of time since they'd know all the answers but he was getting desperate because they were drunk as skunks and nothing else was going anywhere. The first question: what kind of doctor was Frasier Crane? They all sat there for several seconds seriously trying to think of the answer with dopey drunk expressions on their faces (including Kelsey!). Rhea finally blurted out,"Shrink shit!" (which was bleeped) and the rest of the cast patted her on the back like she was the smartest person who ever walked. You could see Leno just fuming and counting the minutes until he could get rid of them.

Edited by Angeltoes, Sep 30, 2012 @ 3:04 PM.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

Watched a marathon on some odd channel (Cloo?) and can't believe how much I missed this show, the Diane years specfically. Not much of a Rebecca fan, I did enjoy in the finale when she pretends she's Sam's wife and says she's an attorney working for the firm of Emerson, Lake and Palmer. But Ted and Shelley's chemistry was perfection, wasn't it?

vixenstud

vixenstud

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

Thanks for posting the link to the GQ article, Rubaco....very good, I was Googling around to see if I could get the whole thing.

Damn, Rhea must really loathe Shelley Long, even if she won't talk about her.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 4:25 AM

Interesting, 'cause there were times I swore she was channeling her husband's performance as Louie on Taxi.

She played Louie's girlfriend on Taxi.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

I think Rhea's first season performance was a direct homage to Louie DePalma. It seems like she altered it a little as she got more into the Carla character.

morgankobi

morgankobi

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

As popular as that show was, it's so funny that most of the later additions mention they didn't know the show before their audition.

And Sam is still the only one who seems to say anything nice about Diane :)

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

And Sam is still the only one who seems to say anything nice about Diane :)

Nicholas Colasanto would, but he's dead. On one of the DVD extras, George Wendt acknowledges Shelley's talent.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

I can't access the website at work but Ken Levine wrote a blog post in response to the Cheers piece (just adding info and explaining some stuff) and he was very kind abotu Shelley. He said she would be "annoying" because she would constantly ask questions or challenge him but she was a very professional talented woman who never had any bad intentions. She just wanted Dianne to be the best she could be.

Didn't Woody Allen and Shelley Long also get along well?

Edited by Cherith, Oct 5, 2012 @ 1:38 PM.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

Double Post.

Edited by Cherith, Oct 5, 2012 @ 1:37 PM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

Wow, Rhea Perlman and Danny DeVito are reportedly separating after 30 years of marriage.

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2012 @ 1:36 PM

They seemed so perfect for each other, I wonder what went wrong.