Cheers: Where Everybody knows Your Name

• Please log in to reply

1091 replies to this topic

LouisVuittonRULZ

LouisVuittonRULZ

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 12:11 AM

Y'all know that Cheers is now on TVLand, right?
It airs: Weekdays @ 2PM & 7:30PM
Everynight @ 11:30PM
Sunday-Thursday @ 12AM
Weekends @ 7 & 7:30PM

I have been watching the first season again, and I just totally have fallen in love with this show all over again. I forgot how much Shelley Long and Ted Danson had such great chemistry.

Edited by LouisVuittonRULZ, Jan 13, 2004 @ 12:14 AM.

MountainGirl

MountainGirl

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 12:29 AM

Maybe this is Classic Sit-com Blasphemy, but I much prefer the Rebecca years.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 2:01 AM

I love the Rebecca Years but I also love the Diane Years. The show had different dynamics with different lead actresses but they were both good.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 5:56 AM

I have to say I far prefer the Rebecca years. I think Kirstie Alley is more talented as both a verbal and a physical comedian. I thought it was fun when you first see Rebecca, you think she's just a ball-busting corporate type, but once you peel the layers away she's kind of a klutz.

I think my favourite Rebecca episode is the one where she gets drunk at Kelly's dad's party and starts singing along with the opera singer who's providing the entertainment. I was just cracking up in the episode.

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 7:23 AM

I've just watched one of the last few eps where Sam attends the sex addicts therapy group. I love when Sam starts an argument with another guy about who has had more women.

'OK buddy, I'm writing down a number!'

I preferred the 'Diane' years BTW.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 8:37 AM

The main problem I have with the Rebecca years is that Sam lost any semblance of nuance. I found him a much more interesting character in the Diane years, particularly in the first 3 seasons when Coach was around.

As for talent, I think Kirstie Alley was great at broad comedy, but that Shelley Long had more depth and subtlety. I've been watching the first season on DVD recently and am amazed at her range. Watch Let Me Count the Ways, in which Diane explains to Sam why she's so upset that her family cat died. She ping-pongs from comedy to pathos in one of the most realistic and touching ways I've ever seen.

LouisVuittonRULZ

LouisVuittonRULZ

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 3:57 PM

I liked the Diane years and the Rebecca years equally I think. I liked it when Diane was on because Sam and she had this great chemistry that was just magic. I loved their whole relationship; the bartender and his waitress -- he the jock, she the intellectual.

Coach was great, and it was sad when he died. Rebecca probably was more funny, just because Kirstie Alley is a better comedic actress than Shelley. But they are both good actresses IMO.

ubi

ubi

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 7:05 PM

I'm not sure if I'd call Shelly Long great; it seems to me that she always plays the same type of character, which seems like herself in real life.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 2:14 AM

I used to think that about Shelley Long too but after she nailed a Florence Henderson impression in the Brady Bunch Movie, I began to rethink that. And I had thought it was ludicrous when I first heard she was going to be playing Carol Brady.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 9:18 AM

I forgot how much Shelley Long and Ted Danson had such great chemistry.

Indeed they did. On the S1 DVD, Ted Danson talks about auditioning for the show. He was paired up with Shelley; there were two other sets of actors in the running. I've read that one of the other pairs was Fred Dryer (who turned up as Dave the sportscaster a few times) and Julia Duffy (who palyed Diane's friend Rebecca, the Russian poetry translator). I've never been able to find out who the third pair was.

On the DVD, Danson also gives Shelley high praise as an acting partner. I recall when she won an Emmy for the first sesason of Cheers (very well deserved), she expressed real disappointment that the voters had not similarly honored Ted, saying "Sam and Diane are a team!"

Josette

Josette

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 10:48 PM

I've never been able to find out who the third pair was.

I don't know about a pair, but I remember hearing that William Devane was in the running, but, for some bizarre reason, he did his audition barefoot and cut his foot on some broken glass.

yogi bear

yogi bear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 6:46 AM

So glad to find Cheers back on regularly, though now on TV Land rather than at my favorite 11 PM slot on Nick at Night.

Last night, Diane told Norm he was a true ladies man because he wouldn't cheat on Vera -- Awwwe. Then he went into the bar to started to say every nasty thing about Vera that he could think of. I like it that constantly being wrong never stopped Diane from dispensing her advice. She's one of my most favorite TV characters ever.

SkipBo

SkipBo

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 3:48 AM

I have come upon an upsetting discovery.

There is a Norm quote from the final episode (One for the Road) that I could not remember. It's his final conversation with Sam. So what did I do? I pulled out my 11 year old tape of the final episode, of course. It occurred to me that I had not watched this tape in quite some time. I pop the tape in the old VCR and what to my wondering eyes should appear? A bunch of crap from MTV circa 1998/1999. I KNEW I should not have left any valuable tapes at home when I went away to college! Pesky little brothers.

Now I am left scouring the internet for this quote or a transcript or anything - to no avail. So I come here to fellow Cheers lovers asking for help.

After consulting TV Land and TV Guide, this particular episode does not appear to be airing anytime soon and I must have this quote.

Any help filling in the blanks would be greatly appreciated and I could maintain my sanity (or at least continue in that pursuit).

Here is what I can remember (paraphrasing):

Norm: Everyone has one true love, Sam. It could be a person. It could be a thing. It doesn't matter. As long as you love it completely and without judgment...You know what I love, Sam?
Sam: Beer, Norm?
Norm: Sure, I'll have one
(Sam pours him a beer)
Norm: I love that stool. If there is a heaven, that stool will be there. And let me tell you, not even God better be sitting in it.....(yadda, yadda, yadda)...You always find yourself coming back to your one true love. You always come back to her.
Sam: Who?
Norm: Figure it out.
(Norm leaves)

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 10:34 PM

That is a great quote and a great ending to a great show. Norm was great there.

Call me crazy, but I think it would have been cool to see Sam and Lilith hook up. Frasier and Rebecca hooked up for one episode after Lilith dumped him and she came back and caught them. Sam and Lilith had nothing in common (like Diane) but they had good banter and I think they could have done something. She was hardly on last season, when they split and divorced so he could be single for his show.

Edited to add: I mean Sam and Lilith for one ep. They try it and realize they are wrong for each other and go back to before. I mean just one episode.

Edited by Halfpint Ingals, Jun 10, 2004 @ 3:00 PM.

SpchProf

SpchProf

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 9, 2004 @ 10:52 PM

Call me crazy, but I think it would have been cool to see Sam and Lilith hook up.

Sorry, but . . . eww. Eww eww eww eww. This wouldn't have worked, in my mind. It would have been the same as Sam and Diane getting together.

One of the reasons why Shelley Long left was because of the introduction of Lilith's character. Long wasn't happy that there was another female intellectual character in the bar getting laughs.

The reason why Bebe Neuwirth (Lilith) wasn't around much in the last season was because she asked to be let out of her contract so she could pursue other projects, and she wasn't thrilled with the cast's work ethic.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 12:51 AM

What didn't Bebe like about their work ethic? Dish!

AD35

AD35

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 5:35 AM

If I recall the E! program correctly, things got very relaxed on the set during the show's final seasons, which probably wouldn't go well with someone with a more proffessional mindset, as Bebe seems to be.

Edited by AD35, Jun 10, 2004 @ 5:43 AM.

YourDensity

YourDensity

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 7:27 AM

Call me crazy, but I think it would have been cool to see Sam and Lilith hook up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lilith try to use Sam to make Frasier jealous? I seem to remember something about her trying to tempt him when she was dancing on a bed and Sam being like "Ohhh let's not do.. that.. wow..." or something to that effect. I loved Lilith she was fabulous, and one of the best things about Frasier (for me) is that it kept Cheers alive. I got to see what Woody, Sam, Norm, Carla, Diane, and Lilith were up to. Good stuff.

I also remember when Lilith had to sing and she sang "Sonny Boy" and all the patrons started calling their moms. My grandpa was watching the show with me and he kept saying how amazing her voice was and that she must be a singer. Suddenly, after that she's winning Tonys.

The gentleman playing Robin Colcord was also always on time. He said it would be him, Bebe and all the guest players. They came from the theater and hadn't been there forever. The cast eventually was able to be late because they knew they were part of a hit. Usually they drank beer and played foosball.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 7:47 AM

didn't Lilith try to use Sam to make Frasier jealous?

Yes, in the charity auction episode in season 6, Bidding on the Boys.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 9:07 AM

O well, I just wanted to see what other people thought. I know it wouldn't have worked, I just meant one episode and then it was over. Frasier and Lilith did work good together. I like the quote in the tea room episode when he admitted in front of the guys he was whipped.

Speaking of tea room, Rebecca won the bet. But Sam had the explosion and then it was back to normal with the pool room. Did Rebecca give up because of the explosion ? And chili was never mentioned again. I guess Sam's explosion and car windows broken was worth it.

And last night, when Carla and Rebecca left pool room and entered bar, the cut away was so obvious the pool room set was not there and they did not directly walk in from pool room to main bar.

Tabinet

Tabinet

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 11:17 AM

I LOVE the tea room/chili episode. It was one of very few laugh out loud TV moments. Even just thinking about it now I'm cracking up at work.

I preferred the Rebecca years. Something about the Diane years were dated & more boring. However, when I see them now in syndication [as opposed to earlier on in syndication] I have more of an appreciation for them. I always saw myself as a Rebecca type character [as pointed out to me by my friends in grade 8] so maybe that's why I liked them more. Rebecca also brought in a lot of memorable characters from outside the bar.

I would love to see the final episode again. I'm pretty sure I've just seen it once. I remember watching it & crying...it was really the last show that I remember watching with both my friends & parents. When it was over, it was okay because we still had Seinfeld...but now there's nothing. And right now where I live they aren't showing Cheers on any channel...and haven't for years & years.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 3:02 PM

Over next few weeks will be last 2 seasons on Nick and TvLand.

Watching the one with Sam when John Hill 1st comes is classic. The way Sam goes crazy trying to break the wall and mat is great acting. No wonder Ted Danson was nominated for an emmy every single year Cheers was on.

SpchProf

SpchProf

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 10:29 PM

Yeah, what everyone already said about Bebe Neuwirth's unhappiness with the work ethic.

I do think she genuinely enjoyed her time at Cheers and is grateful for it, I think she just got out before she started hating the entire experience. She and Kelsey Grammer had great chemistry. I'm glad she wasn't on Frasier though, her guest appearances were good enough.

nessa24

nessa24

Posted Jun 12, 2004 @ 12:42 AM

Hey all,
I loved the Diane years because I loved Sam and Diane. Does anyone know why Shelly and the cast, particulary Ted didn't get along? It doesn't seem like this was always the case. I loved their chemistry and wished they had ended up together but I could see why they didn't.

SpchProf

SpchProf

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2004 @ 2:44 PM

From what I've read, Shelley Long became difficult to work with. She got an Emmy very early on and really wanted her way around the set. Plus she started making (bad) movies and I think she kind of developed an "I'm better than this and you" attitude. When she decided to not renew her contract, the cast REALLY turned their back to her. When she came back for the 200th episode (the special panel discussion with John McLaughlin) and when she came back for the final episode, she remarked how the cast barely acknowledged her.

Drummouse

Drummouse

Posted Jun 12, 2004 @ 6:00 PM

As for talent, I think Kirstie Alley was great at broad comedy, but that Shelley Long had more depth and subtlety.

I prefer the Diane years.... something about her timing and comedic input. She was a great play off of Carla. Also the fact that I can SO totally relate to her experience of having to work with such characters. They gave her some great lines that I STILL refer to.
I liked the first few Rebecca years. Then it turned into a series of Bed-Roulette with everyone sleeping around and the writing got WAY lame!
I loved the episode after Eddie died and the girls all had a slumber party over at Carla's. Lillith brought her friend, Dorthy, Dorthy. And they said the first one to fall asleep, they were going to put their bra in the freezer. Carla says to Lillith, "or we could let you wear it for 10 mins). LOL!!
(Lillith SO totally owned me when she was on!).

IMHO, the show went on about 3-4 yrs too long.
And I LOVED. LOVED. LOVED this show!! NEVER. NEVER. NEVER missed it.

It's hilarious to watch the old episodes with Coach.
He really had some great lines and was such a wonderful character.

Glad to find this thread!!

ubi

ubi

Posted Jun 13, 2004 @ 12:39 PM

It's been awhile since I've seen it, but they talked about Shelly on ETHS! (back when it was worth watching). I seem to recall she's exactly like her character IRL and yes, she got big-head syndrome and decided to leave because she was about to become a big movie star.

YourDensity

YourDensity

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2004 @ 7:01 AM

It's been awhile since I've seen it, but they talked about Shelly on ETHS!

I remember this! She made movies like Troop Beverly Hills and the Money Pit, which didn't do too well if I remember correctly. ETHS had a clip they showed where she was trying to joke and be funny but she just came across as reallly snippy and bitchy she said something like "Do I regret leaving Cheers? No. No ok? I don't regret leaving Cheers! I mean everyone asks me that, so do me a favor don't ask me that question ok? Ok? [snippy laugh like she's making a joke]" and she smiled the whole time. It was just... creepy, she probably feels like the guy who gave up the Beatles.

And despite her not regretting it she's reprised the role of Diane on Cheers (final eppie) and also on Frasier. I think twice on Frasier. That must really sting. Has she done anything since?

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2004 @ 9:21 AM

She played Carol Brady on the Brady Bunch movies and did pretty good imatations. The last one in the White House was terrible, no surprise.

SusannahDean

SusannahDean

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2004 @ 8:20 PM

I would have liked Rebecca if she wasn't so whiny! Gah! Most of the time I wanted to strangle her. My favorite character was Norm, of course. I just loved his quips. I'm pretty sure that I watched most of the time just to see him.