Lexx

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

186 replies to this topic

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

If you end up liking the show I recomend buying the DVDs. It makes checking things a lot easier and you'll start to notice things that were set up long in advance that don't get explained until much later.

While I don;t really like the third movie it does set up several important things about the Lexx itself.

Zen Moon Pi

Zen Moon Pi

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Mission accomplished! I watched the rest of the fourth movie last night. My initial impression was how ticked I'd be if it ended right there.

Tonight I saw Mantrid. The sophomore season obviously had a much bigger budget. As characters, Xev and Stanley are filling in. The references to the nature of love slaves explains a lot about Xev's affect in the first series.

Some random observations at this late hour:

Lexx looks less phallic and more like a dragonfly at some angles, a trilobite at others.

Mantrid is fascinating. He seems to have wandered in from Lewis Carroll's notebook. I loved his speech about the question of what constitutes life.

The art direction is really light years ahead of the first season. The Ourboros imagery at the first of the episode was jaw droppingly beautiful.

A question about the nature of Lexx (the Lexx?) itself... Is it technically an android? Given that it is calibrated to do Stanley's bidding based on voice commands and whatever it is that connects to his hand, is Lexx what Ray Bradbury referred to as a "waldo"?

Edited by Zen Moon Pi, Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:19 PM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

I think you'll get more info on the Lexx in S2. That's a full 20+ hour season, and clearly, there's a lot more time for those questions to be addressed.

Once and a while at parties, I used to slip in the Brunnen-G song!

Gah. I had to go watch the end of S2 again! Like, the one that was like, "Once more, with feeling." [I'm holding back info not to spoil].

Sci-fi is so watered down now [not you, Fringe; exception proving the rule].

Since the late 90s, early 2000s, where's the good stuff? BSG was good for the most part, but that's it. Even then, it ended like, eh, ok. I love Eureka, but it's more a show about relationships, which is great too. But. Where's the, "we're drawing the line here? You know they'll come for us." "Let them come."

There's just not any shows where you're inspired to really reach beyond.

Edited by ganesh, Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:14 AM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:12 AM

Sci fi has a big problem namely it needs a lot of money to do it right and hence execs don't want to spend the money for a tv series with a perceived niche appeal.

It's either going to come from foreign sources ala such as various British sci fi series, various Japanese anime series or from small budget movies.

Lexx had issues running in the US since it was so off the wall. Dark scifi comedy is something Americans aren't familiar with.

Thankfully back then sci fi channel had testes and wanted to show different stuff in order to attract people.

Sadly those days are gone.

Edited by runningoutofnam, Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:15 AM.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

Your thoughts on the next episode should definitely be interesting!

Mantrid is definitely an interesting character.

Edited by TimeMonkey, Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:34 AM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Is it technically an android?

It's organic. It's a custom built life form with some inorganic bits added to it so it's more cybenetic then robotic.

If it was completely organic then it could be considered a biological robot or bioroid.

The universe of Lexx has human brains processed to be the cpus of robots. So they aren't technically robots either but cyborgs yet not cyborgs since the human brain isn't running the robot body but is instead used by the robot's programming.

Confusing isn't it, as to what to call them?

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

Technically, the body of the robots were organic as well so the pieces of human brain allowed them to control them as well.

The Cluster had a thing for using organic technology, it's an Insect thing. With His Shadow gone and the Cluster destroyed the Lexx is really the only major organic technology left around.

Zen Moon Pi

Zen Moon Pi

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

I'll keep all of this information about the taxonomy of robots in mind as I watch further! :) Thanks!

Lexx had issues running in the US since it was so off the wall. Dark scifi comedy is something Americans aren't familiar with.

I was wondering how this went over on Sci-Fi back in the day. At times, this show treads into Metal Hurlant territory. Let's face it, for the most part US audiences prefer TNT to T and A. Insomnia and writer's block have put me way ahead of the BGBF. I've watched Season 2 through the LaughTrack episode. Hr'll just have to catch up.

I'll get my one complaint out of the way first: I am really, really tired of 790. He's tedious and nasty. The only upshot wrt him is that I now understand the impulse that drove my nephew to put his Furby in the freezer many years ago.

I was sorry to see the first iteration if Xev leave. The second Xev is a huge change, much less demure. The shades of Lyekka's personality make her a little more interesting. I love the costume choice they made because the new outfit fits her character so well. That it echoes the physical appearance of the cluster lizards is a bonus. Cluster lizards are kind of cool. (She typed from the safety of her room in real life and not the Lexx universe.)

The scenes with Mantrid's ship and the swirling legion of arms are gorgeous pieces of surrealism in their own right. I feel like sending the art director a muffin basket.

Of the episodes I've seen so far, Lekka is both the most challanging and the most troubling. It was a nice bit of reversal on the theme of contact to have the Lexx and its crew actually be the bad guys from the point of view of the Potatohoans. I found the cavalier attitude about destruction to be a little out of character for Stanley and company, but it also served as a reminder that they're coming from a different galactic 'hood than we are.

Gack. It's twelve fifteen here in the land of sunbelt hockey and mournful Michiganders. Looking forward to reading what everyone else's thoughts are/were about these episodes if y'all are so inclined.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 5:26 AM

I found the cavalier attitude about destruction to be a little out of character for Stanley and company

Have to remember what they have been through. Lots of death and destruction they have seen and caused either deliberately or by accident. Also you don't see them checking to see if the planets they blow up such as in Terminal are inhabited.

I do suggest you watch the episode openings. In particular season three and four due to the music.

I was wondering how this went over on Sci-Fi back in the day.

I certainly enjoy it a lot more now then I did back then. A number of people thought Farscape influenced Lexx even though Lexx was two years earlier. There was some slight mainstream success because the second Xev was on the cover of tv guide for instance and certain periodicals. But Lexx, Farscape, Space Precinct all had issues running in the US due to people at the networks not getting what the shows were about hence either ending the show and then adding more seasons due to fan outcry, altering the scheduled (back in those days without dvr or ready access to the net a lot of people couldn't see the show when it aired in a different timeslot) which is what likely doomed Space Precinct to one season since it's incredibly late night airings or early morning changing scheledue didn't allow it to grow an audience. All three shows had high cost per episode with Farscape being the most expensive per episode.

Zen Moon Pi

Zen Moon Pi

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

Runningoutofnam, I do watch the opening sequences. Is there something in particular I should be looking for?

I've just finished watching "White Trash". Interesting from my viewpoint as someone who, if stereotypes held true, would resemble an inhabitant of Planet Vermal. Kidding. I do wear shoes once in a great while.

The B plot with the lost boy/changeling was very well done. The little boy in the spacecraft was a nice imagining of every kid's fantasy of having their own rocket. -And- I was happy to see that Lyekka has not been forgotten and even played a role in tidying things up.

Question: Was there any explanation as to why Xev V.2 cannot or does not turn into a cluster lizard?

Regarding the series so far, the Wile E. Coyote-like pursuit of sex is wearing a bit thin. I can't be the only one who has watched this and thought, "Oh for goodness' sake, Stanley (and/or Xev), go wank off already!" Just to be clear, it's not a question of being offended. It's about not falling into a predictable pattern of someone getting horny, going to a strange place to get relief and putting themselves and everyone else in danger.

Something I'll throw out since I'm on the subject: Superficially, Lexx is very open and free about the characters' sexuality. In truth, it a bit moralistic about the subject. Every time someone pursues sex, everyone ends up in trouble. Some episodes I expect an Oompa Loompa to wander into the frame and sing "What do you get when you think with your dick?"

Edited by Zen Moon Pi, Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:20 AM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:52 AM

Question: Was there any explanation as to why Xev V.2 cannot or does not turn into a cluster lizard?

I haven't watched the series in a while, but I thought that if you turn into the cluster lizard, then you die shortly after. But I have no canon basis for this.

Regarding the series so far, the Wile E. Coyote-like pursuit of sex is wearing a bit thin. I can't be the only one who has watched this and thought, "Oh for goodness' sake, Stanley (and/or Xev), go wank off already!"

As a guy who is a guy, I've liked girls who just didn't "like like" me. I totally get that. I actually like a girl who doesn't even like guys anymore, who knows I like her, and we're great friends. But being on the Lexx and who knows how long it is between episodes where they meet new people, I would have thought at least once Xev would have been like, "oh hell, let's just do it!"

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:51 AM

Xev only turned intoa Cluster Lizard because she was tortured to the point of death, it was an involuntary transformation. Zev CAN change but not at will, only under certain circumstances.

-And- I was happy to see that Lyekka has not been forgotten and even played a role in tidying things up.

Yup, Lyyeka will be a recurring character so you'll see her every few episodes when she gets hungry. It is nice having someone other than Kai around to dispose of problems.

Regarding the series so far, the Wile E. Coyote-like pursuit of sex is wearing a bit thin. I can't be the only one who has watched this and thought, "Oh for goodness' sake, Stanley (and/or Xev), go wank off already!"

Xev/Zev is a Love Slave, she could masterbate all day and not be satisfied, she's genetically programmed for sex. Her sex drive has been stimulated off the charts and while she's capable of choosing who she wants to be with it's pretty much her driving motivation, just a part of what she is. I think she's still a virgin at this point in the series so not only is she a Love Slave but she's a Love Slave who has never gotten any ever! Stanley's just regular horney but since it's Stanley few people actually want to have sex with him. The characxters' inability to get laid is kind of a running joke with the series. As for why they don't do it with each other, Stan is fully willing but Zev refuses. I have a theory for why that is but the explanation on the show is simply that he's one of the few people in existance who does not arouse her at all.

Edited by TimeMonkey, Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:54 AM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:57 AM

I haven't watched the series in a while, but I thought that if you turn into the cluster lizard, then you die shortly after. But I have no canon basis for this.

Not true. New Vez does have cluster lizard traits. Note that in Terminal Xev turned into a cluster lizard after being forced to do so since she was being tortured to death by the doctor.

What did you think of the Luvliner and Trial episodes?

Plus the whole gender bender episode.

Poor Stanley forever denied good nooky.

I would have thought at least once Xev would have been like, "oh hell, let's just do it!"

She almost did that when they got interrupted by the crew of the trucker ship in the gender bender episode. I love how they recycled the plastic faces of the brains to be plates.

Zen Moon Pi

Zen Moon Pi

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:55 AM

Loved the face plates.

About the previous episodes:

Luvliner: This episode wandered closer to Douglas Adams territory than any other episode. The almost free-floating bordello owner and his friends and the smarmy manager would have fit nicely into almost any Adams book. I love Adams' writing but am also glad to find sci-fi that can be funny without being a retread of HHG. Xev and the unfortunate prostitute who fell in love with her went the direction I'd hoped they would go. In doing so, they break an odd convention in North American comedy. Women who express sexual interest that exceeds that of the man or men present are usually intended to be pathetic or monstrous. Okay, so Xev is part cluster lizard. Details. She really is neither in the world of this show. Xenia Seeberg's comic timing is sharp and she's fun to watch.

Lafftrak Interesting in that on the surface it seems like yet another indictment of formula television. The flat sex farces do serve a purpose in that they provide a sharp contrast with the complexity of the relationships on the Lexx.

Stan's Trial Yay for backstory and the appropriate lack thereof! I wanted to know more about how Stan ended up being a part of the heretic resistance. This episode showed an interesting wrinkle in Kai's makeup, given that he was determined to observe the letter of the law even if it meant Stanley getting killed. At first I wondered if he had some sort of plan in mind and then realised that he was simply following the rules. I was also expecting a "He killed mah Daddy!" backstory from the prosecutor. Nope. She was just a scary perv. I'm good with that writer's choice.

Love Grows Feed her, Seymour! Couldn't resist. Lyekka is cute as a button. Xev may still have her V card. Stanley, not so much. Ouch. Interesting that the women were all "Hey!" while the men ran squealing when they found out they had, to quote Stanley: "...girl parts!". My take was that even with the physical change, it seemed more like they were acting out their perceptions of the opposite sex than really emotionally becoming that sex. I watched this and laughed because Seeberg and Downey were very funny. Move this to a more earthbound situation with Stanley waking up to find a vagina where his penis once was and it might mean he wouldn't leave his house for a week. Add some boobs and he'd take a month to emerge. Poor Stan. In all the stress and drama, he missed out on playing with the most available woman so far: himself.

Ganesh, you made some good points. People like who they like even if it isn't always the most practical choice. The isolation of the Lexx certainly doesn't help matters.

Edited by Zen Moon Pi, Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:41 PM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

Xenia Seeberg's comic timing is sharp and she's fun to watch.

She is very sexually attractive too. Even heterosexual women might get curious about her but more likely jealously would spring up.

As for my comments about the intros they minor change things in the season two openers every few episodes. Season three and four they have more parts at the start as a slight episode recap but it's the music that is more important in the opener.

Did you feel bad for 790 in Luvliner or did you think he got just desserts?

Also there are slight references to how much time has passed during certain events. Four years Stanley I think was on the cluster yet they said they had been trying to get him for six years. Clearly weeks or months pass by while the Lexx is flying around aimlessly.

Add some boobs and he'd take a month to emerge.

In the fiction I have seen and read it's boobs with the wang that makes the changed man not leave the house. Usually the stories that have women be changed into men or get that part the former women comment that they understand why men want sex so much.

Edited by runningoutofnam, Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:19 AM.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

I think Stan was a heritic simply because he'd been born and raised among them.

Zen Moon Pi

Zen Moon Pi

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

She is very sexually attractive too. Even heterosexual women might get curious about her but more likely jealously would spring up.

Sorry runningoutofnam, I have to disagree with you there. S'just a meme and not a very accurate one at that. I'm a straight woman and think Zev/Xev (Is this where 790 gets the Zev/Xev thing?) is peachy. I notice the following things when it comes to characters (and I'll add how those figure wrt Lexx):

1.)Her function within the story - Are they good? evil? heroic?
Zev makes a great hero of sorts. She's kickass when she wants to be and serves as a sexual focal point in a narrative where the crew's collective libido all but drives the ship itself. (If I'm wrong on that last point, don't spoil me! :))

2.) Do I enjoy watching her?
Xev is pretty, kickass and a hoot. So, yeah.

3.) What is she wearing/HOW did she get those biceps/abs/her hair to do that?

The lizard dress is adorable. I could not pull it off. Heck, most of the world could not look good in it, but Zev is young and has the figure for it. The latter part is a holdover from Terminator 2.

Bottom line? Jeff Smith the author and artist of Bone is so very wrong about women. (And his screeds about women being jealous of his various GFs put me off of his comics.) We dress for each other and look for positive reflections of ourselves in the women we see on TV and in movies. It's not about competition, it's about finding an identifiable point of reference.

790 on the Luvliner? Meh. No feelings one way or the other, really. He's a testy little bitch in a can. I'm sorry. Specist that I am, I'm on Team Stanley in that regard.

Edited by Zen Moon Pi, Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:43 PM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

It doesn't help Stan that he wears that goofy uniform all the time. If he cleaned up and put on some nice clothes, he could have a better shot!

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

790 on the Luvliner? Meh. No feelings one way or the other, really. He's a testy little bitch in a can. I'm sorry. Specist that I am, I'm on Team Stanley in that regard.

So you're hoping for a Stan/Zev hook up then?

My question is this, where did she get her lizard dress? It's awesome and all and a nice nod to her Cluster Liazard side but where did she get the materials to make it?

Zen Moon Pi

Zen Moon Pi

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

I'm not sure Stan is his type.

The lizard dress? Designed by Lyekka, of course! ;)

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

That goofy uniform is something he has worn for years. It's the only clothes he has and he feels lost without his hat.

"Oh thats Great! I'm gonna die without my hat. I mean we are going to die be at least you guys will be dressed..."

S'just a meme and not a very accurate one

Many women would disagree and state that jealousy against pretty women exists. It's in fact been documented in several scientific studies that pretty women aren't hired by other women even though the pretty ones were the most qualified candidates for the job.

So yes female jealousy exists.

790 on the Luvliner? Meh. No feelings one way or the other, really. He's a testy little bitch in a can.

Interesting bit of triva the Season two Lexx dvds apparently had a feature explaining the backstory of 790's brain. It comes from a waitress who was working on the cluster.

My question is this, where did she get her lizard dress? It's awesome and all and a nice nod to her Cluster Liazard side but where did she get the materials to make it?

There was a dead cluster lizard on the ship from when Kai killed the one on board that was trying to eat the brains.

Zev said she was going to make an outfit from the dead lizard after being created from the proteins of the former Xev by Lykka.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

There was a dead cluster lizard on the ship from when Kai killed the one on
board that was trying to eat the brains.

Zev said she was going to make
an outfit from the dead lizard after being created from the proteins of the
former Xev by Lykka.

Yes, but the problem is that Lex absorbs all non-living biological matter to feed itself, which will be brought up in the next few epiosdes and remain it's MO for the rest of the series. So the Cluster Liazrd would have been long gone by the time Zev was ready to make a dress of it.

ETA: There's also the fact that it's been months or even years since the Cluster Lizard was killed and should have rotted enough to be useless. Also the fact that if they had a Cluster Lizard laying around they would have eaten it during Eatting Pattern.

Edited by TimeMonkey, Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:13 PM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

Not necessarily. The dead moth that stan uses as a bed shows Lexx doesn't absorb everything organic. Also since Squish was shown surviving in space attached to the moth, cluster lizard leather may not rot or decay.

The egg was on the ship for a long time (it would take a while for the cleansing to occur) without being absorbed. Perhaps Lexx didn't feel a need to eat dead cluster lizard or wouldn't want to try to absorbing it.

Plus to make pattern it needs to be either alive or freshly dead. The cluster lizard that was killed wouldn't count.

Zen Moon Pi

Zen Moon Pi

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

TimeMonkey, the playoffs are rotting my brain. For some reason I thought you were asking if I was rooting for a hookup between Stan and 790. No, I'm not sure how that would work, either.

Speaking of rooting, er, rotting, I don't know why I thought Xev came out of Lyekka's pod wearing the dress. I just remembered she was starkers other than some foam. Made from a lizard carcass? Makes more sense.

Beeg freakin' doh on my part.

runningoutofnam, I'm not doubting what you found. From my own anecdotal evidence from undergrad school and out in the professional world, I've encountered more women who have better things to do with their time. For the most part, we prefer connection to division.

Edited by Zen Moon Pi, Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:52 PM.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

Stan's bed is too big to be an actual moth, it's probably something that grew from the Lexx itself. And if the Lexx can absorb Mantrid's drones a Cluster Lizard shouldn't be a problem. And it wouldn't absorb Squish's egg since it was still alive, Lexx doesn't just eat living beings otherwise every group that invaded the Lexx would just be eaten.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

" Lexx doesn't just eat living beings otherwise every group that invaded the Lexx would just be eaten. "

The crew of the striper would disagree as would a group from season four. After all Lexx said it had picked up a snack and the group from season four where eaten with all the area that Lexx ate.

Also yes Stan's bed is inside a dead moth.

I've encountered more women who have better things to do with their time.

Work in hr which is 93% female. You would change your tune fast.

Edited by runningoutofnam, Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:53 PM.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

Doesn't Zev reffer to their beds as sleep tumors?

The crew of the striper would disagree as would a group from season four.

The striper? I'm not sure what you're talking about. It's eaten living beings that it swallowed but that's in it's stomachs.

Edited by TimeMonkey, Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:54 PM.

Zen Moon Pi

Zen Moon Pi

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

Sleep tumors? I missed that. Wow.

runningoutofnam, I sent you a reply via IM so I wouldnt run the risk of derailing the thread. I hope that's okay.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

Which the ship was in and the crew had to scramble out of before the acid swallowed the ship. So they could have been eaten by the acid if they were not quick. The lexx loves to gobble up things without telling anyone.

No I don't recall Xev calling the beds that. Stanley's is clearly a dead moth.

As for reabsorbing remember the condition the Lexx was in. Absorbing isn't something the lexx doesn't do ordinarily or only absorbs certain things. Other wise their personal possesions would have been long gone. Also Stanley would have noticed it earlier, in fact he was surprised Lexx could do it.

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:17 AM

Haven't thought about Lexx in years. And reading this thread, well, if I hadn't watched, I'd be goggle-eyed.

A guy I worked with introduced me to the show. The stranger it got, the more we liked it. Towards the end it got bland for a while (when they hit a particular planet), but then the chess game brought back the REAL show. (IMO.)

Maybe I should consider revisiting....