NBA on ABC, ESPN, TNT

• Please log in to reply

6095 replies to this topic

Ellegado

Ellegado

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2004 @ 3:30 AM

I actually have to agree with you on the most beloved sixers of all time listcheesesteak . A world title in Philly is so rare that anyone who can get it will be considered a god forever. I mean if Doc didn't win one, his sex tape would have been the biggest thing in Philly. Instead it became a blip on the radar here. Win a title here and you could be a serial killer and the fans would probably just call you a crazy nut. And my brother had a not so good experience with AI. Made me a fan of The Answer for life.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2004 @ 4:38 PM

Cheesteak, was Allen extremely flirty/disrespectful with the waitresses or something? I've always been curious if there's been any stories about him cheating on his wife.

Ellegado, what was the bad experience? Do tell!

Edited by QueenL, Feb 8, 2004 @ 4:40 PM.

Gimme Stitches

Gimme Stitches

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2004 @ 1:11 AM

Anybody catch Byron Scott's work on ESPN the other night? He was pretty damn good for somebody so green.

Edited by Gimme Stitches, Feb 25, 2004 @ 1:12 AM.

samwal

samwal

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2004 @ 5:21 PM

B Scott has a pretty smart basketball mind. It just didn't translate into being a good headcoach.

Da23rdBuchan

Da23rdBuchan

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2004 @ 2:59 PM

Hard to be a good coach with the daggers sticking out of his back. He got them into the finals two times in a row. You can argue that it was mostly E. Jordan or Kidd but you got to give Scott some credit (once his players quit on him he didn't stand a chance).

Richyyy

Richyyy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2004 @ 9:52 PM

And that wonderful Wizards team is really casting a great light on Eddie Jordan's coaching skills. Kind of suggests Byron was doing something right for a while. Of course, the most extraordinarily piss-poor excuse for an Eastern Conference helped them reach the Finals two years in a row too.

silentbob

silentbob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2004 @ 12:12 PM

Whoa, since when has Bill Raftery been with ESPN? Did his contract with CBS run out after the tournament, or was he let go? Glad to see him back together with Musberger, in any case.

"...with the KISS!"

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2004 @ 4:45 PM

That was weird to hear Raftery. I hope it's just some freelancing that he is allowed to do because I really prefer to have him doing the college game.

God, I am so tired to hear how wonderful a life the billionaire Malouf brothers live. ABC-ESPN-TNT why don't you just STFU and stop telling us about their wonderfulness.

prophetreturns

prophetreturns

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2004 @ 11:32 PM

1)When did Pam Oliver start doing sideline reporting for basketball games?

2)I can't believe, true to form, that Dough Christie's wife was on the court and held on to his arm as Oliver was interviewing him on live TV immediately after the game. Lady, get...a...grip.

TonyBoy123

TonyBoy123

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 12:14 AM

2)I can't believe, true to form, that Dough Christie's wife was on the court and held on to his arm as Oliver was interviewing him on live TV immediately after the game. Lady, get...a...grip.

You gotta be kidding me? WTF is up with this chick. I read somewhere that all the hand jestures that he makes during the games are actually directed at his wife. Boy, this man is so whipped. I read they had a cartoon before the game making fun Kings in the Dallas arena. One of the skits was of Doug Christie on a leash being tugged by his wife.

Edited by TonyBoy123, Apr 27, 2004 @ 12:16 AM.

Richyyy

Richyyy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 8:14 PM

And another part of it was apparently U of Michigan showering Chris Webber with cash. Sounds hilarious, but reportedly some of the Kings weren't particularly amused. Cuban can probably afford the inevitable fine though.

Jeebus Shuttlesworth

Jeebus Shuttlesworth

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 1:19 PM

The NBA is FAAAAAAN-tastic! Gotta love the Nets failing to score 60 points in their game last night. That's some great basketball. Frankly, some of these games would be better off not being shown at all, and a Lebron-Carmelo one-on-one match should be put on instead.

Can ABC and ESPN suck anymore than they already do? They have dragged out the playoffs to 3 months by this weird scheduling designed to showcase the Lakers every Sunday. Lakers, Lakers, Lakers. You'd think ABC wants to marry the Lakers, they love them so much. Did you know the average person doesn't know who Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett are? How could they, because ABC never shows their games!

NBC never pulled this shit. They loved the Lakers too, but they did try to showcase as many teams as possible. I remember we got 3 or 4 games a day, and they used to schedule conference final games on weekday primetime. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Bill Walton.

Richyyy

Richyyy

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 7:01 PM

Yeah, it's only year 2 and we're hearing suggestions that Round 1 of the playoffs should go back to best-of-5. But they shouldn't. They should just play more than two games a week in each series. It's absurd. I mean, that New Orleans-Miami series started in February didn't it?

And I absolutely, positively agree with the All Lakers, All the Fucking Time complaint. Over here we get one live game a week on satellite TV and the last two were LA-Houston and LA-San Antonio. And next week they're surprising us with... LA-San Antonio again. It's. Just. Dull.

Does it annoy anyone else that the score is put in the bottom corner of the screen rather than the top corner? Watching in bars (which is where I see all the basketball I get to watch) it's usually the bottom part of the screen that's cut off by people in front of me. I understand that it's presumably there because it could obscure the basket if it was at the top, but that shouldn't happen if the camerawork is done properly.

silentbob

silentbob

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2004 @ 10:45 PM

I miss Bill Walton, too.

suggestions that Round 1 of the playoffs should go back to best-of-5

Yeah, that's just ridiculous. The "two games a week" pattern makes no sense at all. The shorter the series, the more likely it is that the best teams won't make the finals. The crazy thing is, as recently as the early 80s, round 1 was best-of-THREE.

Richyyy

Richyyy

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 12:39 AM

I miss Bill Walton, too.

I really, really don't. I can't even stand his writing on ESPN.com, let alone his commentary.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 6:22 AM

If the Final Four is sports' greatest event then the first round of the NBA playoffs is the worst. 25% of the teams shouldn't even *be* in the playoffs. It lasts for fucking ever because David Stern sold his soul to the tv networks. Now it lasts longer than forever because Stern made it a seven game series. They shouldn't even play the first round anymore. Give the underdogs some lovely parting gifts and start with the second round.

Edited by cheesesteak, May 5, 2004 @ 6:22 AM.

el mapache

el mapache

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 11:12 AM

Somebody should just put the NBA out of it's misery. This shit is unwatchable.

silentbob

silentbob

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 11:51 AM

the first round of the NBA playoffs is the worst. 25% of the teams shouldn't even *be* in the playoffs. It lasts for fucking ever because David Stern sold his soul to the tv networks

I don't think the NBA is solely to blame. Every major sports league (MLB, NHL, and most recently the NFL) is guilty too of extending playoffs to make more television money.

One of the things I hate most about U.S. professional sports is the overinclusiveness of the playoffs. So many teams make it to the post-season that the regular season is essentially turned into a glorified exhibition where teams more or less go through the motions.

That's why I'm starting to come around on the idea that playoffs in college football are a bad idea. There's something appealing about a system where one screw-up (or two) can ruin your season. It gives each and every game a sense of legitimacy. In pro basketball and hockey, I don't feel any desire to watch a regular season game anymore, because there's really not much (if anything) at stake.

Jeebus Shuttlesworth

Jeebus Shuttlesworth

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 7:27 PM

suggestions that Round 1 of the playoffs should go back to best-of-5

I think this is a good idea, actually. I enjoy the increased chance for an upset ala Denver over Seattle in 1997(?). And in the case of an overwhelming favorite over a weakling, does it really matter whether a team wins a series 4-0 rather than 3-0?

Somebody should just put the NBA out of it's misery. This shit is unwatchable.

Are you Dick Vitale? I strongly disagree. The NBA is a collection of the best athletes in the world. The players, on average, are stronger, faster, and better prepared than ever before. Unfortunately, this translates into great defense, which often translates into low scoring. The rules could be changed to increase offense, but I think it will take an influx of players who are good shooters (probably from the furrin lands of Europe and Asia) to correct this. There will be much bitching and moaning from xenophobes Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley, as well as Vitale, but this must happen in order for the American kids to "get it," that you just can't practice dunking like MJ, you need a jumpshot as well.

JerkstoreEmp

JerkstoreEmp

Just Tuned In

Posted May 9, 2004 @ 5:36 PM

I hate the frigging hype that the Lakers get. By watching ESPN and TNT, you would think the Lakers are the favorites and have the best winning percentage of the teams left. Surprise,it isn't the Lakers. The Pacers and Pistons get no love because they aren't the Lakers and aren't from the Western Conference. The Spurs only begrudgingly get respect because they are the defending champs.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2004 @ 8:58 PM

The Pacers and Pistons get no love because they aren't the Lakers and aren't from the Western Conference.

It's also because they (and every other team in the east) play some ugly assed basketball.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 5:29 AM

Larry Brown is sucking the life out of the NBA playoffs. They should show highlights of the Showtime Lakers, the Bird/McHale/Parrish Celtics and the '83 Sixers whenever there's a Pistons game scheduled and only cut to the real game if something interesting happens.

First Pat Riley tried to kill the NBA with the Knicks, then the Heat. Jeff VanGundy continued putting everybody to sleep with the Knicks. Now Larry Brown is trying to change this year's catch phrase "Let's get it started!" to "Let's score 68 points!".

silentbob

silentbob

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 9:31 AM

"Let's get it started!"

I find the Black Eyed Peas commercial inexplicably catchy. Frightening.

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2004 @ 6:12 PM

The Black Eyed Peas had a great album, Behind The Front. But I have never seen a music group so willing and vocal to sell out as hard as them. "Where Is The Love?" makes me ack. I'm missing Justin Timberlake.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2004 @ 8:53 PM

Senor Audacity I was thinking the same thing, however I still think that they are in second place behind Moby's album Play. All 18 tracks were released for commercial use. (Despite that, I still think its a good album.)

If Kobe played every game the way he plays on the days when he has been in court he would be the greatest player ever.

However, it really sucks being on the east coast and having the stay up until 2 am to see the finish of the west coast games.

Edited by xaxat, May 12, 2004 @ 12:19 AM.

Da23rdBuchan

Da23rdBuchan

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2004 @ 8:04 AM

However, it really sucks being on the east coast and having the stay up until 2 am to see the finish of the west coast games.

I live in the Central Time Zone and also miss the West Coast games. I guess there's no way around it other than having the games overlap but it truly does suck.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2004 @ 9:34 AM

I have a suggestion: make the east coast teams play the late games. Schedule the most entertaining games when the most people can watch them. That way, the Nets and Pistons would get started around 2am east coast time. They could help put the insomniacs to sleep.

I also have a wish: give the TNT halftime show crew, Charles, Kenny and Ernie access to classic NBA games and highlights reels then give them a weekly half hour show to report and bust on. What could be funnier than Charles busting on Armon Giliam for a half hour?

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2004 @ 8:20 PM

Why on earth is game 6 of Lakers Spurs on at 10:30 eastern on a Saturday? Although I don't like it, I can understand late starts on weekdays, but Mr. Stern, my guess is that more people would watch an afternoon game rather than one that runs at the same time as Saturday Night Live.

Scheduling for this years playoffs has been abysmal.

I also have a wish: give the TNT halftime show crew, Charles, Kenny and Ernie access to classic NBA games and highlights reels then give them a weekly half hour show to report and bust on. What could be funnier than Charles busting on Armon Giliam for a half hour?

That is a great idea!

Richyyy

Richyyy

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2004 @ 11:32 PM

Why on earth is game 6 of Lakers Spurs on at 10:30 eastern on a Saturday?

Ludicrous. Like you said, I can just about accept the 10.30 EST starts on weekdays (although I think you could probably push both games back an hour) but that start on a Saturday is just ridiculous. Don't people go out on Saturday nights?

Gimme Stitches

Gimme Stitches

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2004 @ 2:45 PM

It's funny, I watched Armon Gilliam play for years, and I honestly can't ever recall seeing him actually make a basket. Good college player, but man he sucked as a pro.

Topic: I like Tom Tolbert. He seems to bring the feel of the common-man-at-the-bar viewpoint, even though he played in the NBA.