NBA on ABC, ESPN, TNT

• Please log in to reply

6088 replies to this topic

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

Off Topic.

Edited by Doom, Nov 23, 2013 @ 12:53 PM.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

Lol...I saw the death glare but had the tv on mute. I didny realize it was directed at Mike though. Oh my have heads rolled and so quickly too. 5 games into the season? Sheesh. Then again counting the preseason they're 1 for 13 or something. Who woulda thought the Lakers would look this bad and the Knicks would look so good to start the season?

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

Hee. Has that death glare gif been altered in any way? I couldn't tell. I wonder if Phil Jackson really would come back . . . I for one haven't missed his assholiness. I think as a Laker anti-fan I would be more entertained by D'Antoni getting the job, ESPN's subsequent breathless coverage and the inevitable implosion. As much as I hate the sports media shaping and outright creating story, I forgive them when it comes to shitting on the Lakeshow.

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

I still don't understand why Mike Brown being fired (it was long overdue) was newsworthy. Its not like he's a great coach (him being a dunce in Cleveland proves it) or anything special. Hopefully, Mike Brown will go back to obscurity where he belongs.

The only good thing about the Lakers bad start is that we haven't heard anything from Dwight Howard. I'm surprised that ESPN didn't ask his sorry self what he thinks of this situation. I hope that the Laker fans will turn on Dwight very soon. I don't want Dwight Howard getting a ring while riding Kobe's coattails. Kobe doesn't deserve that.

As a matter of fact, I don't want Dwight Howard to ever win a championship. He will never be in the same class as great Laker centers George Mikan, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, or Shaq.

Edited by Magog, Nov 10, 2012 @ 1:09 PM.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

I think as a Laker anti-fan I would be more entertained by D'Antoni getting the job, ESPN's subsequent breathless coverage and the inevitable implosion. As much as I hate the sports media shaping and outright creating story, I forgive them when it comes to shitting on the Lakeshow.

For my own entertainment purposes, I vote Stan Van Gundy.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

Off Topic.

Edited by Doom, Nov 23, 2013 @ 12:54 PM.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

That's one match up that's guaranteed to make me unable to care less about who wins the championship.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

Off Topic.

Edited by Doom, Nov 23, 2013 @ 12:54 PM.

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 1:41 AM

I've only seen the ticker and haven't yet seen any actual story about it so I'm hoping at some point someone will explain how a head coach can not go to road games in whatever capacity he's asking. But not to worry, I'm sure ESPN will cover every angle.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 2:49 AM

Just took a quick look at ESPN.com. Apparently Phil wants limited travel for road games. So I guess he'd go for some, but not all, and no details as to how it would be determined if he were to do this - if it would be based on travel distance or who the opponent is (like he'd travel to Miami because the Heat are a tough opponent, but maybe sit out closer games against weaker opponents?) or schedule so that he's limited to hitting the road x number of games per month, or what.

He also wants a salary equivalent to what he was getting there in his last deal, and more control over basketball decisions. So he wants the same or more for doing less, kind of?

It's also thought that he wants to hand pick a young assistant to add to the bench that he can mentor. The thought is that, because he credits Tex Winter for mentoring him early in his career, he wants to pay that forward to someone else. (Apparently it was one of the things he discussed with Orlando and Portland during this past offseason when their coaching positions were open.)

There's no current agreement, although they're still talking. When it comes down to it, I can't imagine Buss is going to balk at much to get Phil back. The article also mentions that some of the other candidates for the job have become less interested now that the Phil talk is out there, because if he doesn't take the job, they'd be dealing with the disappointment that they're not Phil right out of the gate. (It says this specifically about the fans' disappointment, but I'd be willing to bet they're also concerned with player disappointment, especially from Kobe.)

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

Well from what I've heard, its Phil's job to turn down. I take that to mean that the Lakers are so desperate to get him they would be willing to make all those consessions (limited road trips, the mentorship thing, plus the $10 million/year salary). Its freaking Phil Jackson!! I think if any coach was worth that type of hassle (especially with the Lakers wanting to win immediately) it would be him.

I really wish Mark Cuban would shut up though. He sounds so childish talking about how he hopes the Lakers have to make 4-5 more coaching changes before the end of the year and all that stuff.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

I agree Phil's worth it. I'm kind of surprised he's already willing to come back, but I'm guessing the incentive, to him, is the stockpile of all stars the Lakers have thrown together.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

It's most definitely the fact that the Lakers are loaded. I don't think he would come back if it was just Kobe and Pau. Dwight and Steve Nash certainly sweeten the pot.

big chicken

big chicken

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

I have this hilarious image of the Lakers crowding around a laptop while Phil gives them instruction from his living room via video in Charlotte.

Edited by big chicken, Nov 11, 2012 @ 10:15 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 6:15 AM

Well if it makes you feel any better, I think it is going to fall through and they will end up with D'antoni

I think so too. The fact that Phil and D'antoni are reportedly "neck and neck" the Lakers' front office is about to make the wrong move because as good of a regular season coach as D'antoni is he hasn't won a thing post season and definitely shouldn't be in the same sentence with someone whose won 11 championships.

Ironically the Mike Brown fiasco probably helps Phil Jackson's coaching legacy. The biggest knock against Phil was that he coached great players and now we know it takes more than having a G.O.A.T on your roster in order to win a championship.

I still don't understand why Mike Brown being fired (it was long overdue) was newsworthy. Its not like he's a great coach (him being a dunce in Cleveland proves it) or anything special

It had more to do with it being about the Lakers which is one of the storied franchises in the NBA than about Mike Brown himself.

I've only seen the ticker and haven't yet seen any actual story about it so I'm hoping at some point someone will explain how a head coach can not go to road games in whatever capacity he's asking. But not to worry,

Like, KerleyQ mentioned it's limited travel on road games based on the distance of their opponent. IIRC the Lakers had the same arraingment with Phil Jackson the last year he coached for them. It helps that Jackson's request is because of his bad knees(or another health reason) and not due to ego or his simply not caring about road games.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Nov 12, 2012 @ 6:25 AM.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

Well looks like D'Antoni got the job. As a Knicks fan, all I've got to say is...good luck with that.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 7:35 AM

Yep, four year deal. I KNEW they'd make the wrong hire. But in their defense I do think Phil was asking for too much power, it sounded like he wanted some GM power as well and all the Lakers were looking for was a coach.

I do like D'antoni and think he's a pretty good coach but not the guy I'd hire to lead my team to a championship.

big chicken

big chicken

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

I think Phil didn't want to come back at all so he made the Lakers an offer they had to refuse.

Magog

Magog

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Yep, four year deal. I KNEW they'd make the wrong hire. But in their defense I do think Phil was asking for too much power, it sounded like he wanted some GM power as well and all the Lakers were looking for was a coach.

They went from one loser (Mike Brown) to another loser in Mike D'Antoni. I don't know why the Lakers think this clown is a better option than Phil Jackson. If they're smart. they would of let Phil Jackson run that team. His results (11 rings) speak for themselves & I know that Mike D'Antoni will not lead the Lakers to the championship. I know that Kobe will not be happy about it. Hopefully, he will give Mike D'Antoni the "death stare" very soon. I also hope that he will also give Dwight Howard the "death stare." Kobe is the only person on the Lakers I feel bad for in this debacle.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Supposedly Kobe likes Mike D'Antoni.

This was a terrible move by the Lakers. Someone on ESPN said there is no way the Lakers would have fired Mike Brown so soon if they didn't have a back-up plan. Well now I'm convinced the Lakers were just winging it. They have no idea what they're doing over there. I too feel bad for Kobe just because he's only got a couple of good years left, and the organization can't seem to get their shit together.

Like its been said, D'Antoni hasn't won shit. Plus, he doesn't care about defense. And we all know defense wins championships. This is going to be interesting to see. I wonder if he'll make it to the end of the season.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

I'm no fan of D'Antoni but I thought the Phil Jackson stuff was beyond ridiculous. The guy was looking for as much money as he had before which is at least double that of any other coach and then he also wanted more power but essentially less responsibility. He wanted to make more decisions but didn't want to show up for shoot arounds and select road games. The idea that a coach could demand the amount of money he was asking for and not show up for some games would have had me hanging up the phone in a milisecond.

I think Jim Buss' ego is a problem. But its one thing to ask him to subjugate it for Phil Jackson and its another thing to ask him to bend over the desk and take it.

Edited by MrSarahWalker, Nov 12, 2012 @ 3:58 PM.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

ESPN's rumors this morning were that he wasn't wanting to limit travel, saying that he wanted to win another championship and was dedicated to being there for every game to make sure they got there. But, he did want more control over basketball decisions, and he also is rumored to have wanted some ownership stake. And he was apparently shocked that they went with D'Antoni, as his rep was preparing to head to L.A. this morning to get the deal done.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 6:04 PM

Kurt Rambis said all of those rumors were just that. According to him/his sources, the Lakers and Phil hadn't even discussed salary, and in no way shape or form did Phil ask for ownership stake nor did he want to take road games off. Rambis seemed pretty certain that is was just somebody spreading rumors.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Nov 12, 2012 @ 6:05 PM.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Something had to be up, though. Because if Phil was willing to take the job and wasn't asking for the moon, why in the hell would the Lakers go with D'Antoni? He had to be asking for something that the Lakers weren't willing to give to the point where they just signed D'Antoni without even meeting with Phil's reps today.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

Agreed...either Phil was asking for too much (though IMO, everything besides ownership stake was in bounds for a coach with Phil's resume) or the Lakers got smacked upside the head with a stupid stick.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

I disagree the Lakers picking D'antoni over Jackson means that Phil wanted too much. Remember when Phil left the popular choice to replace him among both the fans and the players was one of his assistants, Brian Shaw, who would continue to run the triangle offense. Buss not only didn't pick Shaw, he chose Mike Brown who was a defensive coach. It seems clear to me that Buss, who is the son not the dad who ran the Lakers when they won all those championships, wants to put his own stamp on the Lakers and that means staying away from anything that has to do with Phil Jackson.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

Two possibly great games tomorrow night on ESPN. Thunder/Memphis and Heat/Clippers. Westbrook and Durant against a Memphis team that blew out the Heat by 20 points. Then Miami in L.A.

MrSarahWalker

MrSarahWalker

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

I disagree the Lakers picking D'antoni over Jackson means that Phil wanted too much. Remember when Phil left the popular choice to replace him among both the fans and the players was one of his assistants, Brian Shaw, who would continue to run the triangle offense. Buss not only didn't pick Shaw, he chose Mike Brown who was a defensive coach. It seems clear to me that Buss, who is the son not the dad who ran the Lakers when they won all those championships, wants to put his own stamp on the Lakers and that means staying away from anything that has to do with Phil Jackson.

That was my impression too but then why talk with Jackson about possibly returning? I'm guessing Buss was ready to swallow his ego and go back to Phil. And then Phil played games with them and asked for a bunch of crap and Buss was reminded why he hated Phil in the first place and dropped the whole thing quickly.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

It might not have been something Phil was specifically asking for that crossed a line, but something had to have happened. Hell, even D'Antoni is surprised he got the job. If it was just that the younger Buss wanted to put his own stamp on the team which he felt he couldn't do with Phil attached, why even get that involved in negotiating with him? Not only would it have been a pointless measure if he didn't want him, but now he's gone and gotten the fanbase all riled up that they were close to getting Phil back. It would have been far wiser to leave Phil out of it from the start. Now he's got Phil and his people out there in the media wondering what the hell happened, and it makes the organization look bad that Phil's rep was allegedly supposed to fly into L.A. first thing Monday morning but the team woke Phil up at midnight to tell him they were hiring D'Antoni.

natalie wood

natalie wood

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

For my own entertainment purposes, I vote Stan Van Gundy.

That was wicked...................ly funny. Hee! I think we were separated at birth. My son and I had this very conversation. ;p

Edited by natalie wood, Nov 13, 2012 @ 10:09 PM.