NBA on ABC, ESPN, TNT

• Please log in to reply

6095 replies to this topic

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

That's when the show works best. Some of my favorite memories of it over the years involve when they're poking fun at themselves. (I think the "Champions Club" bit with Charles being held out at the door is still my favorite thing they've done, especially because Chuck could not stop laughing harder than anyone.)

As much as I think Shaq is, overall, not the best fit for the show, I do admit I love "Shaqtin' a Fool." He still needs to learn to get more of a sense of humor about himself, though. I think he's easing up a little, but he needs to ease up even more to really roll with this crew and the overall tone of the show.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

Who came up with the "We're all black friends" thing? I die laughing everytime Ernie says it, he's so deadpan.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

D-Wade to Salters - "Is that Fuschia?" I also like that he said "we don't want to be our best right now". Very true - it's about getting hot as the playoffs start. I wish I had a mute button for Van Gundy. I bet he wouldn't last playing against high schoolers, goin on about how soft they call the nba and how flopping is some global menace threatening to end civilization. Shut up man.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

I 100% agree with JVG. The refs should be able to call flopping as a foul/technical or whatever. Players should be punished for flopping around like beached whales.

I kind of get what Dwade said but at the same time you don't want to stumble into the playoffs while your coach is still tweaking the line-up. I don't see them playing the way they did mid season when they were beating everybody by 10 plus every game. And I definitely don't see them winning the title this year. I wouldn't mind if they did....but a part of me is hoping they don't because the fallout is going to be EPIC! I think either the team gets blown up or Pat Riley comes down to coach.

I am so sick of people talking about how everyone wants to avoid Chicago and Miami in the first round. I would love nothing more than for one or both teams to be upset....and I'm not saying that just 'cus I'm a Knick fan and haven't seen us out of the first round since I started high school. I just hate the tongue bathing.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:50 AM.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

I 100% agree with JVG. The refs should be able to call flopping as a foul/technical or whatever. Players should be punished for flopping around like beached whales.

I feel like the league keeps saying, in preseason, that they're going to do something about flopping, but they never do. And I agree, too, they should do something about it. (Of course, I say this as a Bulls fan still bitter about some of the flopping LeBron and some of the other Heat players got away with in the ECF last season...)

I kind of get what Dwade said but at the same time you don't want to stumble into the playoffs while your coach is still tweaking the line-up.

Yeah, I kind of laughed when I read that, because of course you want to peak in the playoffs, but I don't think it's exactly ideal to head into the playoffs the way the Heat have been playing of late (and for most of the second half of the season). I don't think it's ever ideal to finish the regular season at a limp. But, I guess credit to him for trying to be positive?

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

LOL @ the NBA Countdown guys calling MWP Ron Artest. As if its actually a different person. Its the same person who just changed his name JB. I don't know what the hell got into Ron Ron but that 'bow to Harden's head was out of control. Dude definitely needs to be suspended at least 2-3 games...which I believe would have him missing some playoff games.

And while the hit was vicious, in no way was it reminiscent of the "Malice in the Palace" at least not for me. I didn't even think of that until Mike Green brought it up, but he always exaggerates stuff so I'm not really surprised.

Oh and way to have the incident on constant repeat ABC/ESPN. I've already seen it enough to last me the rest of the week.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:12 PM.

MITerp

MITerp

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:11 AM

And while the hit was vicious, in no way was it reminiscent of the "Malice in the Palace" at least not for me. I didn't even think of that until Mike Green brought it up, but he always exaggerates stuff so I'm not really surprised.

Right, but I admit, seeing Ron's expression here at about 10 seconds in made me think of Breen's "scary look in his eyes" comment during Malice. Ibaka didn't want it with Ron.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

Right, but I admit, seeing Ron's expression here at about 10 seconds in made me think of Breen's "scary look in his eyes" comment during Malice. Ibaka didn't want it with Ron.

Yeah. But I agree with JVG, the guy should be ready to protect himself. And after what he did (he KNEW he was wrong), he knew Ibaka would want to defend his teammate and something might have gone down. So from that standpoint I don't really have a problem with MWP's fight stance.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

Off topic.

Edited by Doom, Nov 23, 2013 @ 12:15 PM.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

Having Magic as an analyst was great, because he called out MWP and Bynum's cheap shots and what can they say to that - nothing.

My respect level for Magic was already high, but it jumped up a few notches after what he said. Loved that he called out Bynum and MWP for these unnecessary and egregious hits.

I don't know why, but I'm surprised there seems to be an almost universal consensus that MWP should be suspended for at least the whole first round of the playoffs (the lone dissenter so far is of course Skip Bayless). The guys on Mike and Mike were debating whether its fair to suspend him with playoff games when the incident obviously happened in the regular season. Greeny suggested why wouldn't they just suspend him 20 games at the beginning of next season. I don't know how I really feel about that though. 5-10 games now, or 20 games next season?? It'll b e interesting see what what Stern is going to do. Probably suspend him now.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:23 AM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

I don't know why, but I'm surprised there seems to be an almost universal consensus that MWP should be suspended for at least the whole first round of the playoffs

I don't know about that. Both Van Gundy and whoever else covered the game with him said a game or two and during the halftime Magic, Wilbon, and the rest were saying the same thing. Later that evening Stephen A was saying three games. It wasn't until this morning I heard some people say more than three games. Actually I find it funny that the further we get from the incident, the more time people want to give Metta World Peace. But it doesn't surprise me there are those who want him to sit the entire first round. You have to consider what he did not only intentional and serious but consider how this impacts Oklahoma City, not to mention how it helps the Lakers chances of winning the West. If it were up to me there's no way he'd be playing before Harden does.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

MWP needs to be suspended for a signifcant amount of games. I would say enough to cover the first round is the low number. He's not just a repeat offender. He's a serial offender. There is no place in the game for something like this. I'm betting he just gets a couple games though.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

I'm betting he just gets a couple games though.

I was thinking the opposite. I have a feeling Stern is going to drop the hammer on MWP.

lacey81

lacey81

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

I was thinking the opposite. I have a feeling Stern is going to drop the hammer on MWP.

I agree. Now is a real bad time for an athlete to have anything to do with a head injury. Stern's very aware of what's been going on in the NHL and NFL. I don't think he wants to be seen as potentially going easy in any way.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Someone on ESPN said they thought it would be 10 games. I'm interested to see. The case they made was that it had been getting replayed and replayed (as PoeticJustice noted) and that looks bad for the league at a critical (playoff) time. I think it'll be 5 games - the next game, and the first round. If it was 10 games that would be great, but I don't see it happening.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

It's already an miserable existence, but it would really suck to be a Bobcats fan if they don't win the lottery. Even with Davis they'll probably still be awful. According to the True Hoops blog, the Bobcats have had nine lottery picks in eight years, including the No. 2 pick, No. 3, No. 5, No. 7, No. 8, No. 9, No. 9, No. 12 and No. 13, so they are almost sure to screw up anything outside of the first pick.

I only came across it recently, but ESPN has had a long series of articles on tanking in the NBA. I think everyone hates it (As a Sixers fan, it kind of bothers me that I was rooting against them to make the playoffs, but only kinda), but I can't think of a good solution. The panel at ESPN came up with some, but they are all complicated or not intuitive enough for the casual fan to understand the process.

Edited by xaxat, Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:09 PM.

miniglik

miniglik

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

This is the total homer in me speaking, but it's always a little annoying when once again the Spurs are playing really well, and the media just completely ignores them. I assume it's a case of supply and demand -- no one cares about them except the loyal fans, so why talk about them. They've won something like 18 of their last 20, and they've won the last seven or eight all by double digit score differentials. Sure, they were also the number one seed last year and tanked in the first round, but it's not like a team can't tank in the playoffs one year and then win the whole thing the next year. Also, I've been a fan since Robinson's prime, and this is the most exciting style of play I've ever seen on the Spurs.

As for Artest/MWP, is it weird that I felt bad for him? I did think the elbow was intentional, but not premeditated. It's like he has this crazy-bad impulse control mechanism. Give him a minute to think about the action and he wouldn't have done it, but hopped up on adrenaline he makes the split second decision to rage out and hurt something. I feel bad for Harden too, and I fully support any leagues' decision to throw the book at people who cause head injuries. (I don't long for the good ol' days of brain damage without repercussions.) But still,I feel bad for Artest -- the media is just gleefully ripping him to shreds. I think it's obvious he has mental issues, particularly regarding self-awareness and impulse control.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

I think it'll be 5 games - the next game, and the first round. If it was 10 games that would be great, but I don't see it happening.

I think it'll be 10 games. Its the entire first round and some of the second round. I think that's a strong enough message for Stern to send.

I think everyone hates it

I don't. I have no problem with teams tanking games. As a fan, I'm not looking for my team to just barely make the playoffs or win a certain number of games. The ultimate goal is winning a championship or at least be competitive enough to be a contender, and if tanking a few games now (and then getting good position/picks in the draft) gives my team more of a chance to be successful later then I'm all for it.

With that said though, there has to be a perfect storm kind of thing for me to actively root for my team to tank games. They have to be really bad and there's got to be a LeBron James type player coming in. No point in tanking if you're not going to get anything good out of it.

I've only seen a little bit of Anthony Davis (hate college bball) but I'm not sold on him being an immediate difference maker. He's got to gain a lot of weight first if he's going to be banging down low with Bynum, Dwight and whoever else considers themselves a "big man".

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:13 AM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

I only came across it recently, but ESPN has had a long series of articles on tanking in the NBA. I think everyone hates it (As a Sixers fan, it kind of bothers me that I was rooting against them to make the playoffs, but only kinda), but I can't think of a good solution

I liked Van Gundy's suggestion during Sunday's game, allow team's that make the playoff but fail to win homecourt advantage into the lottery as well. It wouldn't eliminate tanking but at least teams could still try to play well and still have a shot getting the #1 pick. With the NBA, tanking doesn't gurantee you anything unlike in the NFL, it just means you have a greater chance at the #1 pick. The irony is that rarely does the team with the worst record get the #1 pick.

I've only seen a little bit of Anthony Davis (hate college bball) but I'm not sold on him being an immediate difference maker.

I agree. Most of the "experts" I've seen admit he won't make a difference on the offense but think he can be a game changer on the defense side. What they're forgetting is he was a defensive force in college at the center position, he doesn't have the size to be a center in the NBA and I don't expect him to be anywhere as near as dominent. I hope for the best for him and whoever drafts him but to me his being seen as the consensus #1 pick is about hype as much as anything else just like it was for Greg Oden.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

This is the total homer in me speaking, but it's always a little annoying when once again the Spurs are playing really well, and the media just completely ignores them. I assume it's a case of supply and demand -- no one cares about them except the loyal fans, so why talk about them. They've won something like 18 of their last 20, and they've won the last seven or eight all by double digit score differentials. Sure, they were also the number one seed last year and tanked in the first round, but it's not like a team can't tank in the playoffs one year and then win the whole thing the next year. Also, I've been a fan since Robinson's prime, and this is the most exciting style of play I've ever seen on the Spurs.

They haven't won in over 5 years, thats why they are being ignored. Despite having a supporting cast that is young, the team is still viewed as Duncan's team and so nobody in the media thinks the team has changed all that drastically over the years. They still think (right or wrong) that Duncan is the most important player and he's deteriorating with every run up and down the court. And oh yea, they were the 1 seed last year and were handled pretty well by the 8 seed. Thats probably the Spurs main problem.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

As for Artest/MWP, is it weird that I felt bad for him? I did think the elbow was intentional, but not premeditated. It's like he has this crazy-bad impulse control mechanism. Give him a minute to think about the action and he wouldn't have done it, but hopped up on adrenaline he makes the split second decision to rage out and hurt something. I feel bad for Harden too, and I fully support any leagues' decision to throw the book at people who cause head injuries.

I'll even go so far as to say that I can buy when he says it wasn't intentional. I haven't seen the clip a ton of times, but the couple I did see - it looked like he didn't even realize Harden was behind him - he was just a little too wildly pumping his arms after that play. I'm not saying one hundred percent it wasn't intentional, and maybe someone has seen a shot where he clearly sees Harden there, but I tend to think it was an unfortunate accident. However, given his past, you have to punish him (and punish him good), and I think that's something he needs to accept as the lingering consequences of his actions back in Detroit. That he has been allowed back into the NBA, accepted by a high caliber team, and has an NBA title to his name is his forgiveness, for lack of a better word, but he'll (rightfully) always carry that stigma. As for punishing for head injuries (or, really, any severe injury), I kind of feel like it should turn out that, if Harden has to sit out two weeks (just throwing a number out there, I have no idea how long he'll be out), then MWP should have to sit out two weeks. It's not fair, imo, that your actions can cost a guy (and his team) his playing in x number of games, while you sit out a game or two and get right back to it. On the flip side, though, even if the victim doesn't miss games, there should still be a minimum when you do something that out of the bounds of normal play, but when it comes to an extended injury for a guy that is directly the result of your actions, you should sit a comparable number of games.

My thinking there is, say Harden is out a really long time, and the Lakers end up meeting the Thunder in a playoff round. If they have to suffer the loss of Harden during that series, why should the Lakers be able to both benefit from MWP's play and benefit from the absence of Harden on OKC? Again, I don't know how long Harden is going to be out, head injuries/concussions can be a tricky thing, but, I'm not talking just head injuries - guys can lose significant time from leg/foot/shoulder injuries. I'm not saying it should happen every time it's incidental to a game (two guys dive for a rebound and one lands funny on the other's leg, for example), but when it's the result of a flagrant or something outside the bounds of the game? You miss what you cause the other guy to miss. (Obviously they could put some protection in place to make sure the victim's team doesn't misuse that penalty, maybe impartial league doctors who aren't associated with either team to make a final determination if the aggressor's team thinks the victim's team is unnecessarily extending the off time.)

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

and maybe someone has seen a shot where he clearly sees Harden there

Former players like Magic have said you know when somebody is there and between that and the fact MWP automatically goes into a fighting stance when the Thunder players confront him instead of acting confused and wondering what their problem is leads me to believe he knew he hit someone. I don't believe he was going after Harden or anyone else on purpose and I don't think he intended to hit anyone in the head but I believe he knew what he was doing.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:40 PM.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

If you think Artest didn't know what he was doing then I have a bridge I want to sell you. They clearly bump each other so Artest is aware that he is there and then Artest cocks his elbow back and swings it full force. It was a completely different swinging motion then when he was thumping his chest.

I'm also seriously tired of people in the media prefacing their comments with stuff like "nobody denies that Metta is a good guy off the court". Well for one I do. I understand that he's got his life together to a certain degree but he's had off the court issues in his past as well as the documented stuff on the court. The guy is a scumbag. The only mitigating factor I consider here is that he has something seriously wrong with his brain chemistry.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

Like I said, I didn't see enough of it to know for sure one way or the other.

I do agree with the "but he's a great guy off court" stuff needing to stop. Every time I hear that, I kind of mentally add "you mean like when he's in the stands? Oh, wait..." I think there are a lot of guys who get too physical at times and are the first guy on their team to jump into the fray if there's an altercation on the court, but seem like nice guys off the court. MWP doesn't fall into that category for me. He's had so many incidents that are not just a quick reaction in the heat of the moment. And I remember way too many stories about his locker room behavior back when he was with the Bulls. I think the reason they try so much to tap dance around him like that is because of his well-documented mental health issues. I think the broadcasters are very aware of that when discussing him, and they don't want to be seen as ripping on the guy for his psychological issues, so they try to soften it with the "oh, but he's a great guy, really," stuff. The trap they can fall into with that though is that just because he has psychological problems that are a big contributing factor to how he behaves, it doesn't mean that it excuses his behavior. He is aware of his issues, and he's aware of the steps he needs to take to address them. If he's not willing to take those steps, or if it's impossible to get himself under a satisfactory level of control on the court, then he needs to get himself out of the league and not engage in a career where he's constantly going to be all amped up and physical. And everyone tip toeing around him like that isn't going to help. Someone needs to be brutally honest to and about him.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

Off topic.

Edited by Doom, Nov 23, 2013 @ 12:17 PM.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

and the media just completely ignores them.

I don't know. I think the Spurs are getting as much attention as a team could when Miami, Chicago, OKC, Lakers and the Knicks aren't being talked about. The Spurs/San Antonio just aren't as sexy as those other teams. And unfortunately/fortunately (depending on how you look at it) the Spurs biggest star (Tim Duncan) has never embraced the spot light. But I have been hearing a lot about them over the last couple of weeks. The genius of Greg Pop has been highlighted, what with him resting his big 3 (winning streaks be damned apparently). Tony Parker has emerged as an MVP candidate, long-shot as he may be. And most of all, people have been praising Tim Duncan for taking a lesser role, putting his head down and just doing what his team needs him to do.

I did think the elbow was intentional, but not premeditated. It's like he has this crazy-bad impulse control mechanism. Give him a minute to think about the action and he wouldn't have done it, but hopped up on adrenaline he makes the split second decision to rage out and hurt something.

I totally agree with this. Its why I surprisingly agreed with Skip when he put a little bit of the blame on James Harden. Harden is known for getting under players' skin (supposedly he's a big trash talker) and as we saw HE got right up under MWP while he was still celebrating a big dunk at home btw. Its kind of like you go into a lion's cage and poke the lion and then get surprised when it tries to rip your head off. I'm not saying Harden could/should have anticipated an elbow to the the head, but I think he and players in general DO try to get reactions from their opponents in order to draw technical fouls. I think Harden wanted to use all that adrenaline you talked about and maybe entice MWP to push him out the way or something like that. There really is no other reason for Harden to be up on MWP like that given where he was on the floor.

Edited by PoeticJustice32, Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:42 PM.

loriro

loriro

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

I liked Van Gundy's suggestion during Sunday's game, allow team's that make the playoff but fail to win homecourt advantage into the lottery as well. It wouldn't eliminate tanking but at least teams could still try to play well and still have a shot getting the #1 pick. With the NBA, tanking doesn't gurantee you anything unlike in the NFL, it just means you have a greater chance at the #1 pick. The irony is that rarely does the team with the worst record get the #1 pick.

I actually kinda liked Mike Greenberg's suggestion as well: Give the first pick in the draft to the first team to miss the playoffs. (so that would be, what, the team with the 17th best record?). It would give a team that was thisclose to being a contender the chance to really upgrade with the #1 pick, and would force teams to play through the end of the season to try to compete for as good a record as they can get...

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

I don't know. I think the Spurs are getting as much attention as a team could when Miami, Chicago, OKC, Lakers and the Knicks aren't being talked about. The Spurs/San Antonio just aren't as sexy as those other teams.

And, honestly, despite their record, Chicago wouldn't have gotten much attention from the national media if it wasn't for Rose's various injuries. They just don't see a story in a team of rather low key (Noah's occassional "controversial" remark aside) team of guys who all get along, practically worship their coach, and just keep plugging along working hard on team defense, along with a no-nonsense coach who just wants to do his job. Add in that the two main stars of the Spurs and Bulls, Duncan and Rose, put glad handing the media at about 2,000,000 on their priority list, if it's that high.

I actually kinda liked Mike Greenberg's suggestion as well: Give the first pick in the draft to the first team to miss the playoffs. (so that would be, what, the team with the 17th best record?). It would give a team that was thisclose to being a contender the chance to really upgrade with the #1 pick, and would force teams to play through the end of the season to try to compete for as good a record as they can get...

I'd be OK with guaranteeing that team one of the top 3 picks (I don't know, off the top of my head, how to make that work, but I'm sure they'd come up with something, maybe just as simple as if their ping pong balls don't come up for 1 or 2, they automatically get 3?). But, I like letting that number 1 pick be truly up for grabs among all the teams that didn't make the playoffs.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

The point of the draft is to help poor teams get better. Is there tanking? Yes, but that doesn't mean we should restructure a system that is necessary for competetive balance. If we use Greenberg's idea then teams would tank to get the 17th position. The knicks would have sat Amare and kept D'antoni just to miss the playoffs. Teams would still try and manipulate the system. Thats just the way the world works. A lottery system is a useful deterrent for me. Nobody is talking about the Bobcats tanking, becasue they just suck. Tanking has only come up this season because Golden State made a dumb ass trade and only protected their pick for like the first 7 spots so they are trying to keep that.

By the way, MWP was convicted of Domestic Violence just 4 or 5 years ago so, yes, he's just a real great guy off the court, we all know that.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

MWP has also spent a lot of time visting sick children in hospitals on his own time and without the cameras there to see what a wonderful guy he is. Plus he's gone above and beyond for charities by doing things like selling his championship ring for charity. And IIRC he's the first active pro athlete to actually admit he he has mental problems and helped bring awarness to that serious issue. I have my problems with the guy but I can't deny that he's done a lot of good off the court. And I think any of the sports media who wants to vilify him can do so but they should make clear that it's his actions on the court that are reprehensible.

ETA - Forgot to mention that MWP received a seven game suspension for his elbowing Harden.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:35 PM.