TV Lessons I've Learned

• Please log in to reply

19527 replies to this topic

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 4:06 AM

Andrew on Ringer had Arsenal as his computer password, so he's probably a fan of that club although there have never been any other mentions of it.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

As I sit here thinking of having to lose an hour's sleep tonight, I realize that I don't think any show I've watched has ever mentioned daylight savings time. Apparently, it just doesn't exist in television world.

Wing Nuts will remember DST as a major plot point in the Twenty Hours in America episode of The West Wing. During a campaign trip to Indiana, Toby, Josh, and Donna get separated from the traveling party, and end up missing the flight back to Washington because of it. At the time, only part of the state observed DST, times on their travel schedule were local, and the counties where airport and campaign stop were located in had different observation rules, so they thought they had more time to get to the plane they they really did.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

Lily on How I Met Your Mother has a female, Asian obstetrician, but she's apparently terrible at her job. I don't recall having ever seen a male obstetrician on TV.

Obstetrician or pediatrician?

clear

clear

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

Obstetrician (their child isn't born yet). And I don't know why you thought she's Asian - she's played by Vicki Lewis.

Speaking of How I met Your Mother I've learned that's it's super easy to buy New York City area real estate. In fact, you can own an apartment in Manhattan AND a home in the suburbs, no problem.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

Oh, I was thinking of Lily on Modern Family, who is a toddler and is in no need of an obstetrician, but whose pediatrician is Asian.

cheryl1213

cheryl1213

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

As I sit here thinking of having to lose an hour's sleep tonight, I realize that I don't think any show I've watched has ever mentioned daylight savings time. Apparently, it just doesn't exist in television world.

Kramer on Seinfeld once decided he was just going to go ahead and spring forward before the rest of the world did.

But for most shows losing an hour would be fine b/c everyone has endless time for things like hanging out a bar or coffeeshop with pals on weeknights. No one confines socializing to the weekends, even just watching TV requires several friends (who never call in advance and rarely even knock since doors are never locked, esp if you are a young city-dweller).

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

No one confines socializing to the weekends, even just watching TV requires several friends (who never call in advance and rarely even knock since doors are never locked, esp if you are a young city-dweller).

I was so disappointed when I moved out for the first time and realized that people couldn't let themselves into my apartment whenever they wanted ala Friends. Now, I realize this is a good thing - I also watch a lot more Criminal Minds, so I'm more conscious every single person being a potential serial killer.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

In the Simpsons episode King-Sized Homer, Homer talks about how the only other time he was ever on time for work was on daylight savings time days.

NMdum1

NMdum1

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

American TV has taught me that anyone who is British is fan of Man U. No one likes any other club. In fact, no other club even exists.

So true my friend! Drives me absolutely nuts! It's even worse at in Scotland because the media often assumes that you support either Rangers or Celtic and can surmise your religion from the answer to the question. (As appossed to my beloved Queen of the South FC. And if any Glaswegian gets asked who they support, the only safe answer is Queen's Park even if you don't, they are decidedly non-sectarian and in the bottom league so therefore are harmless.)

Apparently also there rugby players are automatically pain-loving, injury-friendly lunatics who would cripple a person as soon as look at them and cricket-players are all insanely posh! It would be nice to see a minority sport here or there, all hail or Olympic cyclists and yachtspeople (two of the few sports we are guaranteed to get something in at our own Games), we make bloody good lady boxers and believe it or not we do have a Olympic Beach Volleyball team despite having a mostly completely unsuitable climate for it.

Hell, let's go the whole hog! Tiddliewinks anybody?

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

Every tiny, no-name, private liberal arts college in the middle of nowhere has a secret society of women that run the school. Their society produces all the powerful women in America. Woe is anybody who tries to stand up to them, because they are willing to kill to keep their status. The group might have satanic and/or homoerotic overtones. If you are going to an all-female college, RUN NOW, because everybody is in on it.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

A surgeon can complete an 8+ hour procedure and not have a single drop of blood on his scrubs. Medical examiners performing an autopsy where they are pulling fragments of the kill shot or lethal weapon out of the body can also do so without ever getting the least bit messy.

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

Medical examiners also wear really nice outfits underneath their l;ab coats because they know they won't ruin their clothes.

The Mad Maple

The Mad Maple

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

Medical examiners also wear really nice outfits underneath their l;ab coats because they know they won't ruin their clothes.

Only the attractive female ones. Which reminds me....

About 95% of medical examiners are attractive females.

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

Only the attractive female ones.

Forgot to add, they also wear ridiculous high heels even when they go into the field.

Grasonville

Grasonville

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

Everyone staying in Paris sees the Eifel Tower from their window - of course.

Laira

Laira

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

About 95% of medical examiners are attractive females.

If not an attractive female, a super creepy middle-aged man. Apparently, there are no normal doctors who decided to become coroners for whatever reason.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

I'm glad for L&O's compromise, who despite having the lovely Tamara Tunie as the medical examiner, also has her always dressed sensibly.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Sunglasses are only used to convey deep emotion. They might be put on in a rush to show how peeved you are and are not willing to discuss the topic any further, you will snatch them off your face when you are angry and you might wear them to hide the fact that you've been boo hooing

Late to the conversation, but the other main use of sunglasses is for the big reveal of a black eye to indicate domestic violence- especially when the victim is a youngish, attractive, relatively wealthy woman.

Edited by jackiecarr, Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:07 PM.

Maxbird

Maxbird

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

We've all learned this many times but I was reminded watching OTH this week that cops are for suckers. A young woman being stalked by a maniac will always stay at work late and then wander down dark streets alone and proceed to search for her car in an 8 story parking garage (not sure why it's there in that little town). For some reason, these structures alway feature pipes which are dripping. After the inevitable hearing something, our heroine will race for the elevator which barely opens in time, only to be met at the next level by the stalker. Oh, and banging on the door of the elevator helps too. And it never occurs to these idiots to have so much as a cell phone in their hand, let alone a weapon.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

the other main use of sunglasses is for the big reveal of a black eye to indicate domestic violence-

Because, even though this is not 1985, sunglasses are large enough to conceal a black eye; the bruising never extends down towards the cheek and there are no wayward scratches on any part of the face.

Also, TV has taught me bruises heal quickly -- within a couple of days, a bruise goes from black and blue to gone. There is no mutating into the yellow and green stage that lingers for a week or so.

Edited by Bastet Esq, Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:52 PM.

emace

emace

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

Cold Case taught me a very important lesson. If you're looking for suspects that committed a crime some years ago, go directly to either the best friend of the victim or his mentor. Both can be relied upon to become enraged with jealousy over how awesome the victim is and hit him on the head. Once or twice usually suffices.

The mentor, despite being an adult, is always nursing some bitter grudge over having not measured up in his youth. Which is the motive for the murder.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

Mentors and ex-partners are always guilty, especially if you're a cop.

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

Both can be relied upon to become enraged with jealousy over how awesome the victim is and hit him on the head.

Sometimes they also "push" the victim to their death!

Edited by Virginia Plain, Mar 17, 2012 @ 9:21 AM.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

Sometimes they also "push" the victim to their death!

You can push someone down in a fit of rage, and that person will die. Then you run away.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 12:26 AM

Also, TV has taught me bruises heal quickly -- within a couple of days, a bruise goes from black and blue to gone.

Bruises? Psshht! Gunshot wounds affect you for about 2 days, tops, on Prison Break.
(And dismemberment actually makes you stronger!)

Edited by Trini Girl, Mar 18, 2012 @ 12:27 AM.

emace

emace

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

You can push someone down in a fit of rage, and that person will die. Then you run away.

Sometimes you get anxious after having killed someone and whisper, "Get up! Get up!" But because you might get into serious trouble and they don't get up, you are forced to flee.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

Mentors and ex-partners are always guilty, especially if you're a cop.

And your current partner or protege will be adamant to tell you until the second your mentor or ex-partner tries to kill you.

TheRedHead77

TheRedHead77

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

I caught a rerun of TJ Hooker where a fender bender resulted in the car exploding. This reminded me of a TV Lesson I learned as a kid from CHiPs, Emergency and other 80s shows: if your car is doing anything but driving down the road it will explode! Being in a fender bender, rolling over a cliff, bumping the curve or even driving next to a tanker truck full of gasoline will result in imminent explosion.

Edited by TheRedHead77, Mar 18, 2012 @ 6:55 PM.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

According to Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo and Bizzare Foods America on Travel Channel, home canning and food preservation are the new fad in food! Did you know this? /sarcasm

Yeah, my mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, great-great-grandmother, et al, were such visionaries. I think we're just out of practice. Seriously.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

If you and a pal enter a poker game to try to win money for whatever random reason don't even try to pretend like you don't know each other because you WILL get found out. And usually beaten up.