The Race Card: Ethnicity on TV

• Please log in to reply

19195 replies to this topic

caseyg

caseyg

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2005 @ 8:18 PM

Chocolate Cherry

Concerning Reggie/Michael...yeah, that's the only reason why I cut them a break on airtime. However, do you see what they use his airtime for? He's Lily's babysitter and what's worse...he looks suspiciously like a slave boy taking around his half sister, Miss Lily, chauffeuring her all around town.

I know that they allegedly have a summer story coming, but I'm waiting with bated breath on that one...if it has something to do with Lily and Sam...I will pass

Do any of the soaps have Asian characters? Any at all? Within the past 5 years? That disturbs me, a lot. No Chinese, No Malaysians, No Indians, No Sri Lankans, No Japanese. NOTHING! (I know, once there was an Asian character on AMC, but there are 8(?) soap operas currently on air with a combined life span of 150+ years).
Ok, I'm calm now.

That is beyond an embarrassment, as far as I'm concerned. AMC had Henry and for some reason they found it hard to develop a 20 something guy who was in med school with Maggie. I understand how hard it is to write for a 20 something med student /sarcasm/.

However, more importantly even if they have an Asian character they find it OK to recast them with a Southern White Actress and go on like there is no problem there. (See Blair on One Life To Life) I would love to know what uproar occurred when that happened and ABC should be shot for such a thing.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2005 @ 9:26 PM

If you go in the way back machine, AMC had a great interracial friendship between Jenny (Kim Delaney) and Jessie when Opal (Jenny's mom) was making her work at the sleazy dump Foxy's as a cocktail waitress and Jessie was the busboy there. (jeez...what year was that? early 80s?). Jenny married Greg and Jessie married Angie...but I thought that the relationship between Jenny and Jessie was so much better than with Jenny/Greg or Jessie/Angie.

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2005 @ 11:00 PM

yet on tv, the black man/Asian woman pairing is much more prevalent. I wonder why.

White girls are so 1978; it's not as shocking anymore. Asian women are the new white women - all the successful men are going there: Wesley Snipes, Wayne Brady, Dave Chappelle, Tiki Barber. Not to mention the original East Coast playa, Redd Foxx. [I'm being slightly facetious here]

I could understand Eriq LaSalle's reasoning, but the actor in him should have wanted to have Benton delve more into why the formerly cold and aloof man, who didn't want to really associate with anyone, even the women he dated, suddenly was so into Corday.

I thought it was simple - she was an interesting, worldly woman, with a great sense of humor, who was actively pursuing Benton and wasn't going to quiver from his demeanor. For Eriq to ruin it, and never really be an A-story character again, was his "what was he thinking moment".

Edited by mbridgii, Apr 30, 2005 @ 11:01 PM.

mimsy61

mimsy61

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2005 @ 12:26 AM

The Jessie/Jenny friendship was one of my favorite stories on AMC because it seemed so real and genuine. I really enjoyed their struggling together when they ran away to NYC. Eliza Colby tried to break up both couples, Jenny and Greg and Jenny and Jessie but she was unsuccessful.

JerseyExport

JerseyExport

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2005 @ 7:35 AM

White girls are so 1978; it's not as shocking anymore. Asian women are the new white women - all the successful men are going there: Wesley Snipes, Wayne Brady, Dave Chappelle, Tiki Barber. Not to mention the original East Coast playa, Redd Foxx. [I'm being slightly facetious here]

Heh. I think the reason you see so many black/Asian couples on TV is a cover-up on the problem we're talking about. The shows want to have inter-racial couples to prove they are with it, but they also want to "save" their whites stars to hook up with each other. Like, Jack and Sawyer must lust after Kate on Lost, but Sun has to be caught between her husband and Michael, even though as far as I'm concerned, she is superior to Kate in every possible way. Actually, Kate just needs to be eaten, so maybe this isn't the best example.

OKay, back to ER. Yeah, they did the Benton-Corday thing, Mark got together with Chuny for a while, and Weaver's girlfriend Sandy was Hispanic (but that was like all off-screen). We've also had Chen-Guy who Fathered her Baby and Gallant-Neela (and whatever else has happened in the couple years since I stopped watching regularly). With the exception of Mark dating Chuny back in the day, I can't think of Carter, Carol, Luka, Abby, Susan, or any other prominent straight white character having even a small dating plot line with someone of another race. The main romantic arcs since Benton-Corday have all been white or minority-minority, that I can recall, even though the Carter-Abby-Luka triangle was excrutiating for reasons other than the writers thought. And don't even get me started on Sam.

Jenn

Jenn

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2005 @ 9:31 AM

I can't think of Carter, Carol, Luka, Abby, Susan, or any other prominent straight white character having even a small dating plot line with someone of another race.

Carter had a serious relationship with Kem, who was black. She was also pregnant with his child, although the baby was stillborn. I think he also had a relationship with a woman called Rena - who was also black.

I never really understood the fuss over the Benton and Corday thing, although I'm from the U.K. - so maybe attitudes are slightly different here. I personally thought that bringing Cleo on to be Benton's Successful Black Girlfriend was weak, and that fact that that was all she was brought on to be was reflected in the general tedium of her storylines and the shallow characterisation of the character. Tptb briefly attempted to address issues with her, with Benton suggesting that the reason Cleo was so hyper-aware over racial issues was to compensate for her identity problems over having a white mother and a suburban upbringing - but the story was quickly abandoned.

Dani257

Dani257

Posted May 1, 2005 @ 9:35 AM

There's also a strong indication that Carter will reunite with Kem when NW leaves ER

JerseyExport

JerseyExport

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2005 @ 10:17 AM

Carter had a serious relationship with Kem, who was black. She was also pregnant with his child, although the baby was stillborn.

Oh, Christ. I thought I was forgetting something, and that was a big thing, right? This is what happens when your TV watching is dictated by the sorority TV lounge.

Dani257

Dani257

Posted May 1, 2005 @ 11:45 AM

Yes, Carter's relationship with Kem was treated as a serious thing, not an offhand subplot. Significant time was spent on it on screen. It wasn't some ploy to make another person jealous/using her as a placeholder since the one he didn't want was unavailable (like with Rena, which I never took seriously, since it was obvious he really wanted Abby at the time). Even after Kem went back to Africa after the baby, and Carter lost his senses and took up with Wendall, it was still made clear that Kem was still a part of his life.

ForeverWild

ForeverWild

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2005 @ 12:06 PM

Do any of the soaps have Asian characters? Any at all? Within the past 5 years?

On One Life to Live (OLTL) at least, the answer is "more than zero," though not a great deal more.

In the summer of 2004, Jessica Niles played Julie Tanaka, one of a group of college students living and working together on a summer project. She was one of 3 newbies cast to add to 4 white college students already on the show. The newbies were, predictably, one of each stereotype: the homosexual guy, the gay-baiting jock white guy, the superachiever black guy, and the brainy Asian chick. Julie doubled as the bulimic chick because there weren't enough newbies to go around to pin that on someone else. I think this was Jessica Niles's first professional role anywhere. I can't find anything written about her that would indicate her "Asianness credentials," so to speak, but you can see her here: http://frostbitten4....d.com/id41.html at center of the very last pic on the page. There were elements to the storyline indicating clearly that it was intended to last well beyond the summer, but there was an EP change, and it got wrapped up hastily and dropped. Julie Tanaka recently returned to the screen briefly as one of the murder victims in a serial killer story.

Before that, and partially within your 5-year timeframe, Christine Toy Johnson http://www.christinetoyjohnson.com played Det. Lisa West on OLTL from (acc. to IMDb) 1998-2001. Her website says she was recurring and appeared in more than 60 episodes. As I recall, she had cop dialogue with Police Commissioner Bo Buchanan at the police station or she'd be on the scene of a crime investigation. For about a year or so toward the end, she and District Attorney Hank Gannon were "dating." Which mean that they'd sometimes be seen leaving the station together, on their way out to a date, or they'd occasionally be seen standing around in the background at Rodi's, the local cop hangout, with her on his arm, while front-burner characters with actual stories, uttered dialogue in the foreground. But they were usually greeted by name when they came in and bellied up to the bar with the others.

Small though this role was, Det. Lisa West was at least a frequent presence. And Christine Toy Johnson was tireless in appearing at charitable functions. Whenever one of the soap rags ran a blurb about some charity event attended by soap actors, she was there, representing OLTL.

During the same period, 1998-2001, there was a noticeable presence of minorities in the overall "look" of OLTL. Black uniformed-cop extras walked back and forth in the background at the police station. At least one under-fiver black woman played a character who had both a name -- Sgt. Annie Hicks, I think -- and a bit of dialogue now and then. Pamela Isaacs was recurring as ob-gyn Dr. Josie Conklin and got quite a lot to do when pregnancy was part of someone's story. At trials, the presiding judge was usually the recurring Novella Nelson as Judge Barbara Fitzwater, and contract actor Nathan Purdee was at the prosecutor's bench as the DA, Hank Gannon. Contract players: During a large part of this period, there were 5 characters of Puerto Rican heritage and 2 African-Americans. As is par for the course on any soap, the 4 youthful PR characters (2 male, 2 female) were front-burner in love stories, and only the middle-aged mami went unpaired. Meanwhile, the 2 AAs, both men, got precious little romance. But they did figure heavily as supporting characters. Hank Gannon was both the DA and the best friend and constant "talk-to" of the Police Commissioner. His brother, RJ Gannon, nighclub owner and sometimes small-time crook, was a frequent schemer and also became good friends with one of the soap's divas.

This period, 1998-2001, coincided with the regime of the often hated-on EP Jill Farren-Phelps. I'm not one of her defenders, because she typically does some things that are very destructive to the long-term wellbeing of the soaps she EPS, but I also recognize that she did some fairly decent things. See above. It was less than ideal (e.g., why shouldn't 2 sexy men like the Gannon brothers be swimming in women?), but Llanview at least looked more like the world we live in when she was EP than it does right this minute.

At the same time, JFP presided over one of the most heinous racial incidents I've ever seen on a soap. Year: 2000. Needed: an incident to make Police Commissioner Bo Buchanan feel so glum about himself that he'd ride off on his motorcycle, pick up a nameless blonde on the road, and screw her brains out to cheer himself up. What JFP used: With his bare fists, Bo beat the living crap out of an unarmed and unresisting black man, RJ Gannon, who had been taunting him verbally, in a public place (Rodi's, the cop hangout), in full view of a large number of his police force. The investigation of the incident was perfunctory. Bo hid behind the blue wall of silence. He was never even reprimanded. The full implications of his abuse of police power and its racially inflammatory nature were never acknowledged by OLTL. Bo felt down in the dumps for a short time for "losing control" and got to screw his blonde. A few weeks later, an unperturbed Bo Buchanan stood up in front of the class of police cadets and unselfconsciously addressed them about the importance of "police honor." The hypocrisy of it all went unremarked.

More than you wanted to know. Apologies.

caseyg

caseyg

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2005 @ 5:59 PM

Thank you for that history ForeverWild

I noticed that Julie and Hudson (the Asian and the Black characters) were the first victims of the murder mystery storyline...quite ironic if you ask me.

Also, I forgot all about what Bo did...ridiculous...and JFP, well she is NOW the EP for GH and we count on one hand how many black characters are in storylines now.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 4:28 AM

Carter had a serious relationship with Kem, who was black. She was also pregnant with his child, although the baby was stillborn.

Also, Mark and Luka had flings with Chuny, who's hispanic I believe (correct me if I'm wrong).

Dani257

Dani257

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 6:18 AM

Mark and Chuny dated briefly. I think (and I could be wrong) that Luka had a one night stand with her.

Jenn

Jenn

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 11:08 AM

I think it may have been more than a one night stand, although it was definitely brief. Thinking further on Eriq La Salle's request that Benton have a black girlfriend, I wonder if tptb were annoyed at having to drop the Benton and Corday thing and purposely made Cleo such a bore as punishment?

MeerkatNotMink

MeerkatNotMink

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 11:28 AM

I wonder if tptb were annoyed at having to drop the Benton and Corday thing and purposely made Cleo such a bore as punishment?

I’d be tempted to believe that if Michael Michele’s characters weren’t all bores – in Homicide fandom the storyline where her character was attacked is always spoken of with such glee…

Do any of the soaps have Asian characters?

Well, during it’s first year, Port Charles had a half-Asian character (Grace?) who was dating Matt (a white guy) who in turn was cheating on her with their boss(a black woman) . Grace was killed off so that the other two could have an uncomplicated relationship (or something).

What ended up being funny though, was that the actor who played Matt is actually half Native and the boss character was eventually re-cast with a much lighter-skinned actress – which meant that at that point, the white guy was actually darker than his black girlfriend!

charmed1

charmed1

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 1:08 PM

I haven't watched soaps in a while, but I remember the character "Kimo" was introduced as Jack's illegitimate, half-Vietnamese son on Y&R. Sadly, the writers couldn't seem to come up with anything for Kimo to do other than be Jack's illegitimate, half-Vietnamese son so he was written out rather quickly. I saw the actor who played Kimo in season one or two of 24. He played one of the ill-fated handsome CTU agents. I think we all know what happened to him.

My problem when a black character is introduced onto a soap, they always have to be downtrodden, thieving derelicts. On Y&R, Drucilla was an illiterate, thieving prostitute who was taught to read by Nathan, whom I believe was an illiterate thief at one point. Neil, the straight-laced executive always proclaimed how he came from nothing and had to pull himself up by his bootstraps. His brother Malcolm came to town on the premise of being a troublemaker who had problems with the law. Long ago, and mind you I was very young when I watched AMC, the character Jesse was an illiterate thief who owed his success to the kindness of the young white people of the town who gave him a chance.

Can any black character just be born filthy rich? I mean come on. It's ridiculous. That's why I liked Generations so much.

caseyg

caseyg

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 1:17 PM

I agree charmed1, what I wouldn't give to see a black character actually come from an affluent family...although, I don't that Evageline on OLTL came from a downtrodden family. However, I don't think they were filthy rich either.

I don't know...daytime gives the impression that people who want to see good black characters should be happy with what we have and shut up about all the extras (like say...a personal life).

fictionista

fictionista

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 2:32 PM

I found it quite interesting that a reporter on Fox news admitted that the newsmedia is partly responsible for this "Runaway Bride" fiasco. He said that the media loves stories of pretty white women in distress, and that if it had been a minority, it would have been an entirely different situation. Of course, everyone reading this thread knows that, but I just thought it was interesting that a reporter admitted it.

ITA about black characters on soaps. I've been watching Y&R for 20 years, and the only black person born into affluence was Lily Winters, Dru and Neil's daughter. Although, it says a lot about Y&R that we have gotten to a second generation of black folks, with storylines.

You know what storyline I hated? The Kende SL on Bold & the Beautiful. Tony and Kristen went to Africa and adopted Kende. They brought him home and we got to see the requisite "Wow, I've never seen a house this big!" and "Everyone is so nice! I'm not worthy" type stuff. It was nauseating. And you could just see Bell and Co. patting them selves on the back for this progressive SL. And of course, the Latino SL's. I think both the characters had AIDS. Tony was one of them. What was the point of introducing them if they were going to die?

caseyg

caseyg

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 2:44 PM

ITA about black characters on soaps. I've been watching Y&R for 20 years, and the only black person born into affluence was Lily Winters, Dru and Neil's daughter. Although, it says a lot about Y&R that we have gotten to a second generation of black folks, with storylines.

Good point, how many soaps actually have a black family that had enough staying power to get to a second generation with storylines...AMC found it hard (for some odd reason) to get Frankie Hubbard into a storyline and keep him.

You know what storyline I hated? The Kende SL on Bold & the Beautiful. Tony and Kristen went to Africa and adopted Kende. They brought him home and we got to see the requisite "Wow, I've never seen a house this big!" and "Everyone is so nice! I'm not worthy" type stuff. It was nauseating.

Yeah that was absolutely one of those moments when you say, "Please...don't try...no really, just keep the cast all one color please".

And of course, the Latino SL's. I think both the characters had AIDS. Tony was one of them. What was the point of introducing them if they were going to die?

Oh because B&B just kicked off being simulcast in Spanish when that happened...it was a PR stunt.

DeeeDee

DeeeDee

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 3:44 PM

My problem when a black character is introduced onto a soap, they always have to be downtrodden, thieving derelicts. On Y&R, Drucilla was an illiterate, thieving prostitute who was taught to read by Nathan, whom I believe was an illiterate thief at one point. Neil, the straight-laced executive always proclaimed how he came from nothing and had to pull himself up by his bootstraps. His brother Malcolm came to town on the premise of being a troublemaker who had problems with the law. Long ago, and mind you I was very young when I watched AMC, the character Jesse was an illiterate thief who owed his success to the kindness of the young white people of the town who gave him a chance.

Drucilla wasn't a prostitute, just an illiterate pickpocket. Her mother Lillie Belle never wanted Drucilla & always compared her in ever way to her successful older sister Olivia. Olivia & Drucilla were different as night & day and the fact that Lillie Bell had no qualms about treating Dru like crap is a major part of the reason that Drucilla ended up running away. She eventually learned to read with Nathan's help who in turn was taught to read by Amy Lewis.

Neil & Malcolm grew up in similar circumstances. Neil was the straightlaced one (much like Olivia) & Malcolm the troublemaker (much like Drucilla). Malcolm was a football star in high school but because of his attitude & an injury ended up at loose ends. Whereas Neil went to Stanford & later onto working at Newman Ent.

Both families Winters/Barbers were from middle class working backgrounds. One thing that Y&R does well is sibling rivalry & in each case, Neil-Malcolm, Olivia-Drucilla, Jazz-Tyrone the pattern's the same. But that applies to the white characters on Y&R as well Nikki-Casey, Paul-Steven, Nicholas-Victoria, etc.

Edited by DeeeDee, May 2, 2005 @ 3:49 PM.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2005 @ 5:28 PM

I haven't watched Passions in years and I know it's pretty much a joke in the soap world, but they started out with a middle-class black family and working class half-Latino family as major front-burner characters.

DOOL had Abe Carver on for years as the Danny Glover to Roman's Mel Gibson, but he and his wife Lexi were front-burner for quite a while.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 12:45 AM

In case anyone hasn't seen this yet, the shockingly obvious news that Asians are underrepresented on tv.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2005 @ 2:25 PM

The one that stuck with me was that he felt it was important for his daughter to see that he valued black women.

That statement bothers me because you who date doesn't say you devalue people who are not like them. My cousin dated a white girl for years. I didn't take it as an affront to me at all. I think that quote illustrates an attitude that is rather insulting to a lot of black women out there.

I'm just thinking that if I'm going to do a voice for a character on a show, I'd want it to be a black character because I am.

It's called acting. That's like an actor always playing the good guy. Never taking the risk to play against type.

IMO, you should be totally facetious. It's not like they all got together and decided to date Asian women. WB hooked up with his wife when he was a nobody and so did DC IIRC. BTW, I thought DC was married to a white woman?

I found it quite interesting that a reporter on Fox news admitted that the newsmedia is partly responsible for this "Runaway Bride" fiasco. He said that the media loves stories of pretty white women in distress, and that if it had been a minority, it would have been an entirely different situation. Of course, everyone reading this thread knows that, but I just thought it was interesting that a reporter admitted it.

You should have taped that because something like that will never, ever, ever, ever happen again.

Roobear

Roobear

Posted May 5, 2005 @ 1:02 AM

Shelwood: That does not surprised me that Asian-Americans are unrepresented on TV. You can thank Margraet Cho for that. Her abomination (All-American Girl) really set Asians being represented on TV back 30 yrs. She is such a bastard. Why do people think that this jerk is funny, much less deserving a sitcom?

You don't hear Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, & the NAACP (as a black person, it used to stand for something important. Not anymore) going nuts about this.

Sadly, we do not see Asians on the Maury Show. Hopefully Sandra Oh (Grey's Anatomy) can erase what Margraet Cho has started. I like Sandra Oh. Unlike Margraet Cho, Sandra Oh is very amusing, very likeable, & has brain cells.

Edited by Roobear, May 5, 2005 @ 1:08 AM.

mightymos

mightymos

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2005 @ 1:22 AM

Shelwood: That does not surprised me that Asian-Americans are unrepresented on TV. You can thank Margraet Cho for that. Her abomination (All-American Girl) really set Asians being represented on TV back 30 yrs. She is such a bastard. Why do people think that this jerk is funny, much less deserving a sitcom?

You don't hear Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, & the NAACP (as a black person, it used to stand for something important. Not anymore) going nuts about this.

Sadly, we do not see Asians on the Maury Show. Hopefully Sandra Oh (Grey's Anatomy) can erase what Margraet Cho has started. I like Sandra Oh. Unlike Margraet Cho, Sandra Oh is very amusing, very likeable, & has brain cells

Maybe it's the ambien I just took but... What?? All American Girl will be in the history books. Pinay friend of mine likened it to Ellen's coming out, in the sense that even if you weren't watching the fact that it's even there speaks way more volumes. Cancel it after 5 shows, 9 people saw something groundbreaking.
And Roobear, with all due respect, it seems that you are penalizing actors for the rolls that they play and not really for anything specific that they themselves have done.

Anyway, did anyone see Kevin Hill tonight? I really hope there's a discussion in the morning about it. I thought it was really interesting.
Oka y Ambien makes the words dance all over the screen.

Cobalt Stargazer

Cobalt Stargazer

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2005 @ 1:31 AM

Sadly, we do not see Asians on the Maury show. Hopefully Sandra Oh (Grey's Anatomy) can erase what Margraet Cho has started. I like Sandra Oh.  Unlike Margaret Cho, Sandra Oh is very amusing, very likeable, & has brain cells.

None of which erases the fact that Grey's Anatomy is crap, IMO. And I happen to think that Margaret Cho is highly funny, it's just that it's always difficult for a break-out minority to get positive attention. In her stand-up show I'm the One That I Want, she says that the network hired an "Asian consultant" to work with her to teach her how to "be more Asian". The hell? She does admit that she had a lot of personal issues with self-image and the like, and the drug use didn't help, but with that said it really sounds like she could have gotten a weensy bit more support to make her show a success.

ETA because it's a good thing to quote people properly....

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer, May 5, 2005 @ 1:33 AM.

Roobear

Roobear

Posted May 5, 2005 @ 2:06 AM

Yeah, like All-American Girl is ground-breaking. Seeing a sucky comedian doing a sucky sitcom is not ground-breaking. Just like, I don't think the George Lopez show is ground-breaking because he is an Hispanic. I don't know why that show is still on. I watch it & it is horrible. I can find better acting on Telemundo (And I watched it often. Especially those Telenovelas & Laura) than crap like George Lopez. I watched All-American Girl & it sucked and it wasn't funny. I find Margraet Cho to be very irritating.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2005 @ 2:59 AM

Sadly, we do not see Asians on the Maury Show.

Why is this sad?

stinkylulu

stinkylulu

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2005 @ 2:10 PM

Seeing a sucky comedian doing a sucky sitcom is not ground-breaking.

Very very true.

But when you tally the number of white guy comedians who get their own show & compare it to the number of men of color or women of any race who do. (For me it's always the factoid that ABC replaced MCho with Drew Carrey -- and how many black/latin/asian women comedians have ever gotten their own show anyway? OTHER than LaCho, Thea & Monique, sorta?) THEN count those that make it to the 100+ episode mark (syndication) -- which is, I suspect, why they're keeping G-Lo on life support.

And roobear, I hear that you find Margaret Cho irritating. I'm a big fan. I also hear that you thought All-American Girl was a sucky, unfunny sitcom. I did too. But somehow I don't see how Margaret Cho is responsible for lazy-TV-business-as-usual...

Divagalore

Divagalore

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2005 @ 4:42 PM

But somehow I don't see how Margaret Cho is responsible for lazy-TV-business-as-usual...

Thank you! I find it interesting when someone can take a person of color(hate the term minority), and equate them to a whole race. How the heck is that possible? I don't believe for a minute Margaret gave asians a bad name by a long shot. She really got a raw deal, because ABC didn't really get behind the show in the way that they have some of their other sitcoms. I also find it extremely offensive that ABC would bring in a consultant to show Margaret how to be asian. Just sounds closed minded and extremely insulting, IMO. This is another clear indication that we're still dealing with these silly stereotypes because there hasn't been enough of a variety of characters being put on television.

I've also notice when these networks do bring on shows that stars a person of color, they'll pat themselves on the back, with rarely allowing the show to grow. They'll either move it around frequently, or rarely promote the show. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part....I don't think they really care if these shows survive. Just a way to say they tried. I notice this the most with the big 3 Networks. I assume thats why we see more color on the start-up networks, atleast until they build up an audience, then they'll ditch many of those shows, and primarily appeal to the white teen audience(i've seen this happen with FOX, and WB).

Back to the topic, there's no reason to blame one person for the lack of representation. This is all based on these networks, and what they want to show.

Edited by Divagalore, May 5, 2005 @ 4:45 PM.