The Creekers in Other Roles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1017 replies to this topic

JRV

JRV

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 8:35 AM

Here's an interesting item about Grams and her past roles: http://www.usoperawe...2/june/peil.htm

Grams looked really glamorous in her early career!

aizjanika

aizjanika

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 1:18 PM

Grams looked really glamorous in her early career!

Wow...that was absolutely fascinating. I'd love to know more about MBP, just from reading this interview. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait until my daughter gets home and I can show it to her, too.

Morning Angel

Morning Angel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:39 PM

However, even more interesting is that she was nominated for a Tony award in 1985 for her performance in The King and I!

Yes, and did you see she did The King and I with Yul Brenner? So cool.

I love that interview, JRV. It was so interesting to hear about her background. Reading about all of this, I couldn't help but think that DC must have been like a stop at dullsville for her.

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 12:25 PM

So far we know the 2004 release dates of four movies with former Creeksters. There are many more that will open in 2004 (all of the major players except Kerr should have a movie this year). But here are the ones that have already settled on release dates:

The Dreamers with Michael Pitt (aka. Henry). Opens on Feb. 6.
Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights with Mika Boorem (aka. Harley). Opens on Feb. 27.
The United States of Leland with Michelle Williams (and KH's fiance, Chris Klein). Opens on April 2 (hopefully - it's been pushed back numerous times).
White Chicks with Busy Phillips. Opens July 23.

BTW, has anyone else seen the posters for Mandy Moore's first daughter-esque film? God I can't stand Mandy Moore.

Edited by Pop Culture Freak, Jan 4, 2004 @ 12:25 PM.

Wysteria

Wysteria

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 1:44 PM

Mandy Moore is actually a really sweet person and not at all perky as she appears on screen. I was surprised. I was lucky enough to "work" with her a couple years ago. She was the MC for a big even here the may work was sponsoring, and I was like a mini-assistant/doing my job thing. But yeah, the whoring of her new movie is making me ill.

However, I respect your hate for MM, PCF. If I based what I know of her strictly from movies and TV Appeareances, I might feel the same way. Hee.

ScarletGirl

ScarletGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 2:11 PM

No real feelings one way or the other about MM (though, I did take a picture of her with her short hair to my hairdresser last year as an example of what I wanted done), but isn't whoring her movie out what they all do?

Anyway, I saw a preview of her 1st daughter flick last week. Did nothing for me, but my sister seemed amused by it.

Topic? I will be very curious as to how Katie's FD gets reviewed and does at the box office. I just think its got alot more going against it then it has going for it. Time will tell.

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 3:51 PM

I just have a bad impression of Mandy Moore from her days as MTV's whore and for A Walk to Remember. If I met her, I'd probably have a different view.

aizjanika

aizjanika

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:11 AM

I was watching my Battlestar Galactica DVDs (wonderful Christmas present! <G>) and in the 2-part episode, Lost Planet of the Gods, there was Leann Hunley! She played one of the female shuttle pilots who was being trained to be a viper pilot. She didn't have any lines--at least not that I remember. This first aired in 1978, so she was very young. She actually looked very similar--just younger. I just checked the IMDB and they only list her as being in Part 1, but she was in both parts--and even more noticeable in Part 2. It also says she was in another episode as well so I'll look forward to that and see if she actually had any lines.

Also, I can't remember if anyone mentioned this yet or not, but John Finn is in a new show called Cold Case. I haven't seen it, so I don't have an opinion, but I've seen some mixed reviews. There's a little video of an interview with John Finn on this site, and it was neat to see him as himself. I always thought he did a great job in the very small role he had as Pacey's dad, especially since the character was written rather unevenly. I have a bit of a soft spot for John Finn since he was also on one of my other favorite shows, NYPD Blue, and because he's Pacey's dad. He played two different roles on NYPD Blue, but I remember him best as Lt. Shannon.

PCF, I loved A Walk to Remember. <G> I never saw MM on MTV or in anything except that movie, but I liked her and even like some of her songs. Eeek! Did I just say that? hehe I actually haven't heard anything about her new movie at all, but I haven't been looking for it either.

oldiebutgoodie

oldiebutgoodie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:34 AM

'don't know if anyone's posted Sars' article on msnbc about the competing first daughter movies, but here is the link courtesy of KHP.

.. still love the mighty Sars snark :)

kattymom2

kattymom2

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:48 AM

Thanks oldiebutgoodie for bringing that to our attention. I so do love Sars. She's got a good head on her shoulders, that one.

I think I am boycotting Chasing Liberty. I am not all that keyed up about seeing MM in this. Besides I have way to much loyalty to DC. It would be different if it was The Beek but that is a whole other story.

oldiebutgoodie

oldiebutgoodie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 8:49 PM

Wow, I posted that before anyone else?! That's a first! You guys are always on top of anything DC ..

I soo want Chasing Liberty to bomb. Nothing against Mandy Moore (at least she's not as stuck up or full of herself like any of them teeny bopper flavors of the month), but like you, katty, gotta support the DC alumni. Although First Dtr looks totally cheesy on paper, I'm hoping KH finally gets a movie hit (that she's starring in). 'Sorry, but Abandon blew.

anchorgirl

anchorgirl

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:29 PM

I dont think Katie has to worry about First Daughter being received well by the critics. I just saw Pieces of April and Katie's career has taken off without Dawson's Creek like a Russian Space mission sans Lance Bass.

Pieces of April rocked the casbah. In every sense...it does the whole 'family drama' thing without subjecting the audience to too much messy soap-opera-esque melodrama. In fact we get an amazing sense of a family dynamic without having to see the whole family together at all. Katie is phenomenal and understated- her humour shines (i.e. the scene where she tries to 'explain' thanksgiving to a non english-speaking Korean family) very funny. very true and particularly for anyone whose been through a close to home cancer experience- very touching. Great film all around. Katie is already getting good press from the indie scene (who would have thought the indie scene would embrace a former "Dawson Dweeb" to quote VH1!)

NOW we need to get Joshua on board the succesfull career train post DC. He can do it. You know it. I know it. now everyone else needs to know it.

kattymom2

kattymom2

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 1:51 AM

I just saw Pieces of April with my sister tonight. Excellent movie. I really enjoyed it a lot. Like anchor says it is a different kind of family movie. It's not all touchy feely goodness nor is it a let's plot the death of our parents movie. It was very realistic in many ways. You have the overpowering mother, the doormat father, the rebelious daughter who still wants/needs some approval, the wanting to please middle child but tends to be overlooked, and the youngest daughter who needs to take control and be number 1 in the family. I really liked it. Very glad I went.

aizjanika

aizjanika

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 7:21 AM

the rebelious daughter who still wants/needs some approval, the wanting to please middle child but tends to be overlooked, and the youngest daughter who needs to take control and be number 1 in the family.

OMG, the authors of this must have met my family! <G>

Edited by aizjanika, Jan 9, 2004 @ 7:21 AM.

noahsmom

noahsmom

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 11:20 AM

I'm glad you liked the movie Kattymom2. I want to see it but guess I will have to wait until DVD. I can't find it showing anywhere.

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 1:56 PM

It's only showing at one theater in the Twin Cities (MN) area, and it's pretty far from me. So I'll probably have to wait 'til DVD too.

kattymom2

kattymom2

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 3:20 AM

Okay, so I'm a little late on the uptake but I just saw Pa Witter in the movie Catch Me If You Can with Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks. I am sure all you guys already knew that but I was kind of shocked when I saw him. Actually I heard his voice first. I am working on the computer tonight and just have the TV on for some background noise. I was like "Hey, I know him!"

aizjanika

aizjanika

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 3:35 AM

kattymom2, I had no idea he was in that movie. I haven't even seen it, but now maybe I will just to see him. hehe Thanks!

kattymom2

kattymom2

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:25 AM

It's a really small part but a pretty good movie anyway. I just thought it was cool to see him and know who he is. He plays of all things a cop!

Edited by kattymom2, Jan 10, 2004 @ 11:25 AM.

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 5:20 PM

Katie in a new role?
I would love for her to take that part! I'm a total history nerd, and I studied the Vietnam War and Kent State tons in college.

glitter5579

glitter5579

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 5:29 PM

That would be a wonderful role for her, especially after First Daughter screws with her credibility rating.

Levitate This

Levitate This

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 5:47 PM

I agree that this sounds like it could be a really good role for her. I'm interested if she'll take it.

edited b/c there aren't that many e's in agree

Edited by Levitate This, Jan 11, 2004 @ 5:48 PM.

ScarletGirl

ScarletGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:33 PM

PCF, I love movies with historical premises, so this sounds good. I think, right now, it will be interesting to see the choices Katie makes. She got some indie cred with POA, and she's going for mainstream with FD (though, I'm still on the record as being very dubious about this flick) and with Batman (assuming she gets it). This serious type role could be a big step for her.

Redneck

Redneck

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:44 PM

Had no idea JJ was in Catch me if You Can....

...This last week have watched 3 DC actors in tonnes of movies, most were on British TV, two were rented from a small Blockbuster store in London. It did kinda impress me that the odds were against this happening/and or/it shows the DC cast have infiltrated the mainstream big(ish) time......

Wonder Boys: Great movie, KH is perfect for the role. Enuff said

Abandon: KH is great, but on the whole, the rest of the cast suck.Watchable for the KH element. Benjiman Bratt and Fred Ward truly suck. Interesting camera shots.

The Lamarie Project:- had no idea it was going to be so good.Don't get me wrong but at times it was a little like "The Office" in its "mockumentry" style acting-which I guess is a compliment. A quality movie. JJ is really rather good in his role as "The Barman", up until his last scene where he has to eye up the girl....which is a shame, it seemed liked he was playing to his Pacey stereotype....

The Rules Of Attraction:-Also was expecting this to be poor, had read the novel a while back-HOWEVER- most of this film was excellent,especially,the speeded up backpackers Euro-Holiday.... (SHOCK HORROR)The BeeK- was great-Yeah I admit we could not get away from cheap Dawson jokes and made many, below the belt but inevitable jibes
Footnote: JVDB, seems to be an OK kinda of bloke (US translation= Bloke:Guy,)He was cool on the Graham Norton interview shown the other day....

The Ice Storm-very small role for KH as we all know, prior to DC ( I think) Movie not as good as expected. But definatly tried to be good.Ang Lee seems quite over rated to me. (Hulk was awful). On the whole the film seemed to be trying to hard( or mqybe its just that I can't stand Kevin Kline).

Can't seem to find Texas Rangers, with The Beek and "Sammy Potter-The Stepford Joey Potter"
When was this released in US? Did it get released at the multiplexs over the pond, cos no one has heard of it over here...........
What other movies should I expect to come my way,England is normally 3 months behind US DVD/TV Schedules releases?

Edited by Redneck, Jan 11, 2004 @ 7:21 PM.

tersh

tersh

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 7:41 PM

(SHOCK HORROR)The BeeK- was great-

Yes, but, the problem was that I couldn't get the image of his face while he was.....ahem.....having intercourse out of my head. It was like the I ATE POO face, only much much worse. And ickier. Oy, my stomache turns just thinking about it.

ETA - Redneck, consider yourself lucky if Texas Rangers never makes it to your neck of the woods. It was awful. But, try to check out "Lonestar State of Mind" with Josh. Very watchable, in a cheesy way.

Edited by tersh, Jan 11, 2004 @ 7:43 PM.

Redneck

Redneck

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 8:23 PM

Tersh, Exactly, my friend!! The face will be ingrained in my psyche forever-I just wish I could get my hands on the episode.....England is sooo far behind with DVD's
Was Texas Rangers really that bad...Steve Miner directing, with all his Dawsons Creek connections, not forgetting his Fridaythe13th/Halloween/House involvements.....Was it a horror movie? No puns intended...

P.S Lonestar State of Mind is also unheard of in stores around these parts.....

Edited by Redneck, Jan 11, 2004 @ 8:29 PM.

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 8:34 PM

Who was JJ in Catch Me if You Can? I don't recall.

ScarletGirl

ScarletGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 8:45 PM

PCF, actually it's the actor who played Pacey's dad who has a small part in CMIYC. No JJ in that one!

tersh

tersh

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 10:47 PM

Was Texas Rangers really that bad...

Yes. But, that is just my opinion. Others may have different views, but I don't know anyone who enjoyed this movie. It is worth a look for the Beek, Ashton Kutcher, and Rachel Leigh Cook, but it's just a horrible flop of a movie.

kattymom2

kattymom2

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 11:40 PM

Scarlet is correct no Josh in Catch Me If You Can. John Finn/Pa Witter had a small role but alas no Josh!

Can't stand either Rules of Attraction or Texas Rangers. ROA is just scarry. I am serious the first time I saw it I had to turn it off I thought I was going to be ill. James was just creepy and totally slime bally. Since I didn't finish watching it the first time I forced myself to watch it a second time. Why? I have no idea. It was just as bad as I remembered it from the first time. Really just beyond disgusting. Way more about The Beek than I ever wanted to know. Yikes!!

Texas Ranger? Drier than the dusty plains it is set in and totally predictable. Wanted to smack the smirk of James's face. What a freak.