Dawson's Creek on DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1511 replies to this topic

Redneck

Redneck

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:21 PM

I know this query has already sort of been answered. BUT I'm from the UK and Season 2 and the Finale DVD are no where to be seen which is really scaring me. We don't have any channels that will show re-runs anyday soon, even though DC was massive over here.I am so surprised that Seasons 2-4 weren't released ages ago, but they weren't.....I am panicking big style that they are not going to availible over here at all. If so I will have to buy an all region DVD player, not a major issue....HOWEVER someone on another site said it was very very unlikley that Season 5 and 6 are ever being released anywhere!! Season 3 is almost a definate US release and Season 4 is dependent on the sales of S3. Jesus, what is the problem:WELL apparently the amount of music that needs altering(copyright) and episodes(the amount of them that can fit on discs) are riding against releases, not to mention the potential that not many buyers will be interested in S5/S6 (and maybe S4). I'm afraid , very afraid!!!

PandaBear

PandaBear

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:58 PM

Hi Redneck! I'm in the UK too and bought both S2 and the finale from Amazon.com. I made sure that i got a region free DVD player (it was really cheap - 45) and it's been really straightforward to get the dvds sent over. the only surprise was when my S2 dvd arrived last monday i had to pay an extra 8 customs (something to do with it being over 20 in value... i didn't quite understand) but it was totally worth it! I'm hoping that Channel4 (or E4 on Sky more likely) will start repeating all the seasons as soon as Channel 5 has finished the S6 run on terrestrial TV - can you believe it's on at 1pm on a saturday?? Dawson's Creek was made for hangover TV on a sunday! I just know it's going to get dropped to the post-midnight slot like Alias was, just because they've made the mistake of scheduling it all arsey and no-one is around to watch it.
i think that s4 will probably make it onto DVD though - it's S5 i have my doubts about....

But I'm getting impatient about the S3 dvd - especially since that season hasn't been on in the UK since, what, 2000?? I'm hoping it will be out for Easter... *crosses fingers and prays to the dvd fairy*

Redneck

Redneck

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:25 PM

PandaBear,Well Hullo! Thanks for the postive sensations! Was on a bit of a Dawson's downer. Had just been watching obscure rented movies with KH/JJ to fill the void, in a "I-would-not-normally-watch-this-kinda-film" way , However The Skulls and Abandon could almost be Seasons 5/6! Varsity Falls,have not rented, sounds like Glory Helmets gone awry,fiction meets reality again for the DC cast!!.

BUT I needed a real DC fix after watching all the S1 DVDs/ finale over last few days..And needed some positive DC UK TV/DVD news,and you brought it PandaBear......So Dawsons is still on?
No idea that DC was on Ch5 in UK. How did that happen...I mean I was checking Ch4/E4 schedules.They own the rights surely. Thats why Graham Norton always has the core DC cast as guests on his show.. how long have CH5 been showing DC, does this mean UK re-runs?
Sorry if we are off thread, It's just we are on the same island with the same limited cable.
Awesome site, a proper hive of post modern DC activity,Thanks,without you we would be nothing......

TripleMaster

TripleMaster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:50 PM

However The Skulls and Abandon could almost be Seasons 5/6!

Sorry to butt in from across the pond, but I've got to think that The Skulls and Abandon were significantly better than either S5 or the first half of S6.

Redneck

Redneck

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 4:45 PM

Good Call, I mean Abandon and the Skulls could have easily have fitted in with the so called continuity,its almost as if you could imagine the DC cast in any one of those movies continuity....bearing in mind the way the series went around that time. I'm thinking Joey getting mugged episode.....

PandaBear

PandaBear

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 4:52 AM

I keep passing Abandon in Blockbuster and thinking "shall I....?" but I never actually take it off the shelf!! I'm tempted because it has Charlie H in it, and he was quite sweet in Queer as Folk in the UK.

Redneck - DC finished on E4 just before Xmas - Channel 5 started the S6 terrestrial showing last saturday, so episode 2 (the whole "morning after the night before" mullarkey) will be on this Saturday. I can't remember the exact time, but it's 1 or 2pm.

I've just had a look on Amazon UK to see if it has any dates for DVD releases but no - you can get S1 in the UK, and a video of the best of S1 and S2 together. Tip though if you want the S1 DVD - it's in the new year sale in HMV for about 20!

Redneck

Redneck

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:59 AM

PandaBear, Thanks for the reply. Already got the wonderful S1 on DVD. It's great but could certainly do with more extras. What extras are on S2 and Finale DVD's. Really pleased that Ch5 are showing s6 as I really only watched it if I was around or it was on i.e did not follow it religously. However will this time round with a VHS recording it, shame I missed episode 1 which is sweet and does have the Sophie B Hawkins song (also used on Episode 1)when they dance to the juke box (pass the bucket!!!
You should check out Abandon, it is watchable, at times is really rather alright and is definatly a motion picture aimed at the cinema, at other times seems like a TV movie-well it does have Benjimin Bratt and Fred Ward in it! Katie Holmes is in it alot well being the main character and all that.Shes is.... , well, very Katie Holmes. Worth a watch but only just.....

PandaBear

PandaBear

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 10:37 AM

I don't know how everyone else felt here, but i was a bit disappointed with the extras - or lack of. the finale has some hidden extras that i just can't seem to access (the instructions were posted here a few months ago), a commentary and some cinema trailers - i think it had some scenes from the first ever episode too with the original Mitch, but i may have confused that with S1.

S2 has first and last ep commentaries (which i've yet to listen to - i think it's just producer Paul Stupin this time, rather than him and Kevin Williamson - have a look a few pages back for details on those) and some trailers but i don't think there was anything else - unless they're hidden too.

Don't know if this will interest the UK lot, but The OC (which has been hailed as 'Dawson's Creek for the next generation'??!!) is starting up on E4 and Channel4 from March. I don't know what US DC fans make of that comparison but that's how it's being sold to us lot in the UK!

RamonaQ

RamonaQ

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:09 AM

Oh geez, with the mess they seem to have made of the S2 DVDs I'm afraid at what they'll do to the S3 ones. They just will not work without the original music!

PandaBear

PandaBear

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 11:30 AM

i'm trying to compile my own DC CD on that music site that was linked with the official DC site (www.dawsonscreekmusic.com i think it's imaginatively called) just in case they do mess about with it - if they don't have My Invitation while Joey and Pacey dance at the anti-prom (Pacey: "I remember everything" etc) I will be furious. I mean it - boundless fury, people....

Blue Castle

Blue Castle

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 7:16 PM

If they don't have My Invitation while Joey and Pacey dance at the anti-prom (Pacey: "I remember everything" etc) I will be furious. I mean it - boundless fury, people....

Seriously. Also, they must have the Jann Arden songs in The Longest Day and Jealous by Sinead O'Connor. But My Invitation is definitely the most important song of the season. There's really not much point to the DVDs if they leave that one out.

anchorgirl

anchorgirl

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 8:21 PM

anyone know just when S3 will be released on DVD? this year?
All this talk about the changes to the soundtrack has got me quite worried. maybe I should try to tape reruns on TBS. only problem is...I'm a poor student and cant afford the cable package with TBS. and since my DC addiction is unfathomable to the majority of my friends/family, I dont know who I could get to tape the show.
Does anyone know if you can buy bootleg copies of DC? ones with the RIGHT music, directly from the original airing?

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 8:36 PM

anchorgirl, awhile back there was a rumor that they'd be released every 6 months starting with S2. But there has been no official word on that and no official release date for S3. Going on the 6 months notion, it would be late spring-early summer. I think you can safely assume that at least S3, and possibly S3 & S4, will be released in 2004.

IMO they'd be stupid to delay it much longer. Even on the 6 month plan, S6 won't come out 'til the end of 2005. You've gotta think they get more people buying the DVDs when the show is either still on the air or just recently gone off the air. The further away they get from when the show was actually on the air, the less DVDs they'll sell. This theory, of course, excludes all cult shows that sell crazy amounts of DVDs any time. But I really don't see DC falling into that "cult show" category.

Edited by Pop Culture Freak, Jan 11, 2004 @ 8:38 PM.

cp1333

cp1333

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 10:20 PM

IMO they'd be stupid to delay it much longer. Even on the 6 month plan, S6 won't come out 'til the end of 2005. You've gotta think they get more people buying the DVDs when the show is either still on the air or just recently gone off the air. The further away they get from when the show was actually on the air, the less DVDs they'll sell. This theory, of course, excludes all cult shows that sell crazy amounts of DVDs any time. But I really don't see DC falling into that "cult show" category.

PCF You are so correct in wondering why they are waiting for months to release the later seasons. My question is why did they wait until the series was over to start on the DVDs. Friends has certainly proved that people will buy while the show is still on.

I wish we could see more behind the scenes stuff on the DVDs. Maybe some bloopers or a tour of "Capeside" I can't believe that TPTB were so short sighted that they didn't save items for the DVD.

TripleMaster

TripleMaster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 11:47 PM

The way I look at it is that I bought the God-awful S2 DVD set that I still haven't really watched, so these people owe me the S3 and S4 sets. Somehow, I don't think they will care.

kattymom2

kattymom2

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 12:00 AM

They damn well better care or they will get my S2 DVDs back but I don't think they will like where I intend to stick them.

ScarletGirl

ScarletGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 12:11 AM

LOL, Triple, I haven't watched my S2 dvds yet, either. I only bought them because I wanted to boost sales so S3 would be issued. And it damn well better be! With the music in tact (I know, dream on, Scarlet, dream on)!

oldiebutgoodie

oldiebutgoodie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:28 AM

I don't know about you guys, but the S2 DVD's SUCK MAJOR ASS !! They compressed too many ep's in one disc, you can totally notice the degradation in pic quality. Plus, I just watched the Sex, She Wrote ep, and there were 2 (!) audio glitches! And don't let me get started again on the music replacements!

aizjanika

aizjanika

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 3:31 AM

Oh, gosh, I must confess I haven't watched my Season 2 DVDs yet either, even though I liked S2. I watched the audio commentaries three times so far, though. <G> I do plan to watch the DVDs eventually, but I got a bunch for Christmas and there's only so much time to devote to this, plus try to keep up with the daily episodes in syndication (which I haven't been doing either, since S5 started).

I wish they'd only wait 3 months or less between releases. Obsessive as I am, I do want every single episode on DVD, even if I already have them on tape. All my tapes are already degrading in quality--so even with the music changes, I want the DVDs also. It will suck if they don't put out every season, because I do want even S5 & S6.

Wysteria

Wysteria

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:24 AM

Pssssttt..

Season Three is coming, season three is coming...

Hee.

That's all I can say for now. But yes, it is coming. Once more details arrive, it will all be revealed. :)

Be excited!!!

ETA: Oh, I guess I can say that the Interactive Tour of Capeside and I believe the Summer Diaries will be included. I don't know what other extras will be on the set, but I'm sure we'll know soon enough. It's all in the works kids. :)

Edited by Wysteria, Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:25 AM.

PandaBear

PandaBear

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 8:44 AM

Don't tease us Wysteria!!!! Seriously - when? WHEN?? This has really perked up my day - monday in the office with 3 hours sleep and a hangover is killing me. Now the smile is back on my face. BACK!

Wysteria

Wysteria

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:10 AM

No date has been released.

All I know is that it's in the works this month and it will come out. I also heard that season 4 is a big possiblity to follow. Eeeeee!

I seriously, don't know anything else at this time. This is all that's been relayed to me. What I can almost count on is Paul getting swamped with emails, IMs and whatnot about him not screwing the music up (and giving us more extra features).

That's a lot of pressure for one man, especially without Kevvie to help him out. :)

TripleMaster

TripleMaster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:36 AM

Mandy, thanks for the update. TBS is the only snowy channel on my cable and my tapes suck the big one. You have made my day.

ScarletGirl

ScarletGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 10:10 AM

All I know is that it's in the works this month and it will come out. I also heard that season 4 is a big possiblity to follow. Eeeeee!

Excellent! Thanks for the update.

kattymom2

kattymom2

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 1:33 PM

Wooooooo Hooooooooo!!!! Thank you Mandy!

This TWoP board has the power to do anything. When we talk about wanting news about Josh we get news about Josh and when we talk about wanting news about S3 DVDs we get that to. So what is next?

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 1:35 PM

Granted, this is the opinion of a viewer, but why would a show begin putting out DVDs just to cut them off in the middle? Isn't that a huge disservice to fans? If they were to release S3 but not S4, or any of the others, I would be hugely pissed.

Thanks for the info Wysteria!

Raine

Raine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 1:51 PM

What I can almost count on is Paul getting swamped with emails, IMs and whatnot about him not screwing the music up (and giving us more extra features).

If I had his email, I would contribute to flooding his inbox. Features? I don't so much care about. But if they screw up the music for Season 3 I will be Wicked Pissed.

Speaking for myself, considering I'm already insane enough to buy the first 7 seasons of X-Files DVD sets - each costing about $100.00 - I would gladly pay a bit of extra money to have good quality DVD's and the original music.

TripleMaster

TripleMaster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 1:56 PM

I would gladly pay a bit of extra money to have good quality DVD's and the original music.

So would I, Raine.

3edges

3edges

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 1:56 PM

This TWoP board has the power to do anything. When we talk about wanting news about Josh we get news about Josh and when we talk about wanting news about S3 DVDs we get that to. So what is next?

Well, I have some suggestions, but they all involve JJ showing up on my doorstep and I doubt that would ever really happen. LOL Just kidding -- or am I??? Hee.

kattymom2

kattymom2

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 3:38 PM

3edges, the only way that would happen is if you and I had the same doorstep. LMAO!!!! Just kidding!