You're Watching Sports Night On CSC, So Stick Around…

• Please log in to reply

4908 replies to this topic

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

Thank you for the reminders, nicodelaney.

In addition to those wonderful scenes you quoted, there are snippets from that time and those episodes that also stay with me Even if they don't have meaning, they, in context, have meaning to me. (In no particular order):

...tension on Draft Day

...You like Draft Day, don't you?
- To an admittedly psychotic extent, yes.

...You don't just fall down

...You guys seriously need to calm down.

....I would like to see the following things: I would like to see our feed from Toronto on any even-numbered monitor, I would like to hear a sound test at Shea, and I would like someone to feel my forehead.

...You know, golf is 50% mental.
- I'm beginning to think that so are you, Dan

... Prune
- Prune?
- It's good!
- Prune

...This is my thing and this is now, so let's not think back so much

....Will, give me your hand.
-I just ate a sticky bun. (the sound of his voice, as though he did, in fact, just eat a sticky bun, really sells it)

....Olympic fever, mi muchachos.
- Oh, man, she's doing it in Spanish now.

...Don't be ridiculous, Dana. This is the ten best movies of all time.

And tonight, driving home from a night out, I tuned into Sez You, on the local PBS radio station. They were doing a game about guessing the accomplishments of not-so-famous people, and the contestants were challanged to identify the accomplishments of the following pair:

Patty S. Hill and Mildred J. Hill

As soon as I heard the question, all I could think was "It took two people to write that song?"
And I knew in an instant that the correct answer was "They wrote "Happy Birthday to You"

Thank you Aaron Sorkin and Sports Night for allowing me to score big when I play PBS radio trivia contests in my head.

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:00 PM.

mnementh

mnementh

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 1:15 AM

To an admittedly psychotic extent, yes.

I will forever be indebted to Casey for giving me my go-to line for whenever I really like something.

And whenever I hear "Happy Birthday," the first thing I think is, "It took two people to write that song?!" I actually just explained that "Happy Birthday" was copyrighted material to my Mom the other day, making sure to reference SportsNight as my source of knowledge. I did not, however, threaten to sing "O Dem Golden Slippers" for her next birthday.

As much fun as it is to watch Dan freak out about Bobbi Bernstein, I always have to nitpick the NCAA tournament episode because there is no way CSC could be showing those games. Up until last year, they were solely carried by CBS; starting last year they made all the games available on CBS and their various affiliated networks (TBS, TNT, and TruTV.) If even ESPN can't show the games, CSC sure as hell couldn't. Also, it is next to impossible that the brackets would've been set up in a way that Duke and Carolina would be meeting in the Sweet Sixteen. I sometimes wonder if those were the two college teams Sorkin knew, because a Duke-Carolina game was referenced in one of the other episodes too. Or maybe my ears only perk up when Duke is mentioned.

On the other hand, I love the exchange:
"He has flu-like symptoms."
"Oh honestly, who doesn't?"

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

mnementh, Sorkin actually wasn't too far off on the NCAA tourney. In the mid-80s, ESPN had a contract allowing them to cover some of the first round games. Link. Also, while the NCAA committee tries to avoid same conference match-ups before the Final 4, sometimes it can't do so. Depending on the relative seasons UNC and Duke had, it would be possible for them to meet in the Sweet 16.

As for me, the phrase I like using is, "let me spread it out for you in a nutshell." Sadly, nobody gets the reference, or even looks at me funny.

Thank you all for reminding me of some of the special moments this show gave us.

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

I sometimes wonder if those were the two college teams Sorkin knew, because a Duke-Carolina game was referenced in one of the other episodes too. Or maybe my ears only perk up when Duke is mentioned.

You're remembering correctly - it was Thespis, which is of course set the week before Thanksgiving. Duke and Carolina might be playing each other in football at that time of year, but never hoops. I think your assessment of Sorkin's sports knowledge is probably spot-on; I believe it heavily contributed to the fact that sports junkies had a tough time taking the show seriously.

Depending on the relative seasons UNC and Duke had, it would be possible for them to meet in the Sweet 16.

The only way the two schools would meet in the Sweet 16 would be if they were high seeds in the same regional, which the selection committee absolutely avoids like the plague.

nicodelaney

nicodelaney

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

The discussion about college basketball reminded me to look back at that other March -- March of 1999. Another month of March Madness . . . and, right at the end of the month, Eli's Coming, an episode set against the background of the show's coverage of the NCAA tournament.

March 9, 1999 - How Are Things in Glocca Morra?

Rebecca: I'll be down in my office. Will you give me a call when the tennis match that wouldn't end ends?
Dan: Absolutely. (starts to walk away, stops and turns to look at her) Rebecca?
Rebecca: Yeah?
Dan: I'd never make a fool out of you.
Rebecca: Okay. What made you say that?
Dan: Nothing. No reason. I'll see you in a few minutes.

Gordon: So what are you saying?
Dana: I'm saying this is MY show. This isn't my hobby. And I'd appreciate it if you didn't come in here and try to broker deals between Sally and me.
Gordon: I need to get something from you Dana. I need a sign. I mean, I thought you wanted a life. I need you to give me something. Or...
Dana: What? Or what? (Gordon simply looks at her. Dana takes a deep breath and goes into the conference room) You know what? It's one a.m. I'm dumping Sports Night. Sally, you'll run the show with my team in the room and Dan and Casey at the desk.
Jeremy (voice-over): I'll never get it, Louise. I understand what makes a woman think that any man is better than nothing. I'll just never understand what makes a woman think she's got nothing . . . Dana handed off the show for the night and went out with Gordon and his friends. Casey didn't see it coming and to see his face at the moment he found out, you'd think a string inside of him broke. I have a hunch it's gonna be a while before Casey and Dana are quite the same with each other.

March 23, 1999 - The Sword of Orion

Rebecca: What happens if they win?
Dan: The Orioles?
Rebecca: Yes.
Dan: Nothing.
Rebecca: Nothing happens if they win the game?
Dan: No.
Rebecca:: They don't go to the championship?
Dan: No, actually the season hasn't started yet. It's what's called an exhibition game. They play about thirty of them before the season starts as a tune-up.
Rebecca: Then why does everyone care who wins?
Dan: Nobody cares who wins. But if Orlando Rojas can put some innings together, he may not get cut from the team as quickly as most people think he's gonna. There's really nothing like seeing a guy realize he's not done yet. Usually it goes the other way.

Rebecca: Steve made it clear that he didn't want me in that world. It was very important to him and I...he had a hard time mixing those things.
Dan: I had a hunch.
Rebecca: I want to tell you that I appreciate the extraordinary effort you went throughtoday. I want you to know I appreciate it. And it's hard...because, well--
Dan: The wall of pain?
Rebecca: Sure.
Dan: With the bricks and the tears--
Rebecca: --and the third thing, yeah.
Dan: I'm gonna tear down that wall, Rebecca, bit by little bit. It may take weeks, it could take months, but I'm gonna do it. I'm hunkered down for a long period of wall-demolition. Just bit by little bit. I expect the process to be excrutiating, but ultimately worth it.
Rebecca: I've booked a suite at the St. Regis for tonight. Room service has a bottle of champagne chilling in the room right now. Could I take you there, please?
Dan: Well, that'll speed things up considerably.
Rebecca: Follow me.
("Sloop John B." by The Beach Boys starts)
Dan: Okay.
Rebecca: Dan.
Dan: Yeah.
Rebecca: Take the tape.
Dan: The tape?
Rebecca: Take the tape.
Dan: (smiles) Excellent.
(Dan and Rebecca walk through the News Room and then past the Control Room where they stop and wave goodbye to Casey, Jeremy & Natalie who are talking together.)

March 30, 1999 - Eli's Coming

Dan: If you want to work on repairing your marriage... I will, in whatever way you want, support that.
Rebecca: Really?
Dan: Yeah. (Rebecca kisses him) Really.
Rebecca: I think I'd rather not think about it anymore today.
Dan: That's okay too.
Rebecca: Thanks.
Dan: (starts to leave, then turns back) He's such a bad guy, Rebecca. I'm sorry if that hurts you, but I know these things. I'm not that good myself.

Dan: What a jerk I was.
Bobbi: To who?
Dan: To you. I should have called you. If my not calling you made you feel like any less that what you are... I'm sorry.
Bobbi: Thank you.
Dan: All right, so I start you off on the North Carolina bench.

Casey: Isaac's had a stroke. ("Eli's Coming" by Three Dog Night starts to play)
Dan: Is it bad?
Casey: We'll go to the hospital after the show.
Dan: Is it bad?
Casey: Yeah.
Dave: In ten.
Casey: Are you okay?
Dan: Yeah.
Casey: Danny--
Dan: Casey. I'm fine.
Dave: In three...two...
Dan: Welcome back, if you're joining us from East Rutherford, I'm joined once again by CSC analyst Bobbi Bernstein. Bobbi, let's talk about the North Carolina bench.
(Casey sits nearby and watches as Dan and Bobbi continue to talk.)

Edited by nicodelaney, Mar 17, 2012 @ 2:03 PM.

StKatherine

StKatherine

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

"I think I'd rather not think about it anymore today," is surpassed only by "I have seen enough to know that I have seen enough" when it comes to letting people know that I'm at the end of my rope. And I am, sadly, very often at the end of my rope.

On an up note, I went to a show yesterday. I continue to have tremendous faith in the power of theater. And, because it is 11:55 AM, I also have tremendous faith in the power of a ham sandwich. Let's just hope the craft table has some provolone.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

Let's just hope the craft table has some provolone.

I have taken to saying "I'm just sittin' here with no provolone" when I want to be left out of a conversation. Most people look at me oddly. The ones who know where it came from laugh at me.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 8:37 PM

Thank you Aaron Sorkin and Sports Night for allowing me to score big when I play PBS radio trivia contests in my head.

That right there is how I know ImNotLeesa is my kind of people.

May there always be at least a little provolone when you need it, StKatherine.

nicodelaney

nicodelaney

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

Sandman, about those trivia contests -- remember, Sorkin was wrong about Napoleon dying on Elba. If he'd died on Elba we wouldn't be able to say he met his Waterloo at Waterloo. He died on St. Helena which is a long way from Elba, and, of course, the experts and conspiracy theorists and mystery writers are still making money writing books about why and how he died.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

Guess the Sports Night cast member in this baby pic :

http://a0.twimg.com/...yground003.jpeg

If you're having trouble guessing, here's a hint: What the baby is holding is a pretty big clue :-)

(This person is using it as their twitter profile pic, so I figure they don't mind if it's posted)

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Mar 25, 2012 @ 8:47 AM.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

Guess the Sports Night cast member in this baby pic :

Is it one Orlando Rojas? Technically not a full time cast member, but we did get a lot more backstory on him then we got on, for example, Dave.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

Is it one Orlando Rojas?

Orlando Rojas?

I don't know who that is
;-)

No, it is not Orlando Rojas.

I may have thrown you off with my hint. It's a clue, but not a "it's a baseball pitcher" clue.

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Mar 25, 2012 @ 10:09 AM.

yesenializ

yesenializ

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

Well, hello Josh Charles!

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

Well, hello Josh Charles!

You got it!

The long hair flying every which way threw me off when I first saw the picture, but he confirmed on twitter that it is, indeed, him. He was "cute as a button", as Danny would say, even as a toddler.

The baseball clue was that Dan sometimes held a baseball when talking (something I don't think Casey ever did, and something that Josh Charles also does in character on The Good Wife)

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Mar 25, 2012 @ 12:02 PM.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

I sometimes wonder if those were the two college teams Sorkin knew, because a Duke-Carolina game was referenced in one of the other episodes too.

Sadly, Aaron Sorkin's (and my) alma mater, Syracuse, fell to Ohio State last night. Checking the brackets, Duke and Carolina weren't in the same region this year. UNC is still in it, but Duke lost in the first round.

nicodelaney

nicodelaney

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

I suppose you've all heard about Amar'e Stoudemire's bulging disk -- that's "disk"-- doesn't rhyme with "Knick". Dan Patrick was talking about it on his show this morning -- and of course they were having some fun recalling the time an ESPN sports reporter misspoke on-air many years ago. I don't know if Sorkin was actually listening when it happened or only heard about it, but of course it made its way into an episode -- one of you will remind me which one. (My mind retains huge chunks of dialogue but not always the name of the episode -- getting old is tough, especially when it means you forget such vital information.)

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

That was from "Dear Louise", nicodelaney.

nicodelaney

nicodelaney

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

Thanks, moose135. I love that episode -- I thought I knew every blessed syllable of the thing by heart -- darn. Brain cells are slipping away even as I write this -- actually they're dancing away to the tune of "Boogie Shoes", which is playing way too softly in the background. Crank it! Lola Falana, there's no law against dancing but there ought to be one against escaping brain cells. Somebody call Barney Fife.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

My mind retains huge chunks of dialogue but not always the name of the episode

I'm with you there, nicodelaney. I like to kid myself it's all a result of the "How Are Things in Glocca Mora?" switcheroo.

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:37 PM.

fastiller

fastiller

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

I suppose you've all heard about Amar'e Stoudemire's bulging disk -- that's "disk"-- doesn't rhyme with "Knick". Dan Patrick was talking about it on his show this morning -- and of course they were having some fun recalling the time an ESPN sports reporter misspoke on-air many years ago.
nicodelany

It happened yesterday! Al Trautwig, on MSG:

Amar’e Stoudemire Is Out Indefinitely With A “Bulging Dick”

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

never mind

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Mar 28, 2012 @ 12:07 AM.

nicodelaney

nicodelaney

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 5:10 AM

vera charles, as an alumnus of Syracuse, you should be reporting this . . . and perhaps you have -- it's already been established that my brain is on the fritz:

http://www.syracuse....eaker_2012.html

ImNotLeesa, I try to blame a lot of things on the "How Are Things in Glocca Mora" confusion -- also the "Kafelnikov" confusion, also the confusion over Danny's siblings and how many years Danny and Casey knew each other and/or worked together and of course I blame just about everything bad that's happened in the world since 1999 on Dana and her ridiculous -- No, I'm not going to write the words -- it's extremely bad luck. As you say in your most recent post . . . "never mind". (With thanks to Emily Litella . . . we still miss you, Gilda.)

Edited by nicodelaney, Mar 29, 2012 @ 5:12 AM.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

You beat me to it, nicodelaney. Actually, my Syracuse years overlapped both Aaron Sorkin's and Vanessa Williams', neither of whom I have ever met. They've both been invited to speak at commencement. I am sure my invitation must have gotten lost in the mail. Maybe next year!

nicodelaney

nicodelaney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

I am sure my invitation must have gotten lost in the mail.

Darn. I was hoping to tag along as your guest.

Long, long ago, I attended the University of Texas at the same time as Farrah Fawcett. Neither of us, of course, was famous yet -- (needless to say, I'm still waiting for my own fame to kick in -- it needs to hurry or I'll have to settle for posthumous fame and where's the fun in that?) -- but of course soon after our college days were done Farrah went on to become a big star. In 1976 I went to visit my youngest brother at his bachelor apartment and there was Farrah's incredible poster on his wall. I said something about our having been at college at the same time.

"You knew her?"
"Oh, sure, she lived in the dorm room next to mine," I lied.
"And you never introduced her to me?"

I let him carry on for awhile, ranting and raving, and then told him the truth - I'd never met her. That was over 35 years ago and it's still a sore subject between us. "Remember that time you lied to me about knowing Farrah Fawcett?" Even her death has not diminished his resentment. Maybe he'll forgive me after my own death -- my posthumous fame will no doubt give him opportunites to cash in.

The trailer for Sorkin's upcoming HBO series:

http://tvline.com/20...n-sorkin-video/

This is good, too:

http://www.npr.org/b...-in-the-trailer

Edited by nicodelaney, Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:24 PM.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

Here's another post about the trailer for Sorkin's new show, in which there are some quips about who's playing which Sports Night character.
Here
That show will have its own thread soon enough (if it doesn't already), but I propose a game in which we check out the trailer and try to pick out the most "Sports Night"-i-est bits.

The three that jumped out at me on first viewing (aside from the very Sorkin-esque dialogue:

- anchor coming out of his glass walled/doored office dressed in a tux totally made me nostalgic for "The Hungry and The Hunted"
- Sam Waterston really is playing the role of Isaac Jaffe, isn't he? They're shooting with him on the left side of the screen instead of the right, but I think the office is almost the same
- the apparent first episode plot revolving around "the suits" wanting to replace the anchor. Folks on 'the Net' are claiming that is derivative of The West Wing pilot, but Sports Night did it years earlier.

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:24 PM.

nicodelaney

nicodelaney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:21 AM

He's already made his first "Elba/St. Helena" mistake -- a hurricane is a low barometric pressure event, not high.

I know it's just a trailer, but I didn't see the sweetness of Sports Night, and I saw too much of what I didn't like about Sports Night -- the preachy Sorkin moments. I also saw too much of what I don't like about cable "news" (which is a misnomer since most of them seem to have abandoned the idea of news and gone strictly into commentary) -- the screaming, the shouting, the attempts to shove their own opinions down our throats. If Sorkin makes fun of those things, skewers them -- as he should have skewered Washington in The West Wing instead of showing us fantasyland Washington -- then that's fine -- but I get the impression he's just going to use this show to promote his own political views. I wish he'd do something new instead of the same old stuff. I wonder which one of his new stars will get to do the "we just want you to come home at the end of the day" speech.

If he must recycle, then why can't he give us another Sports Night -- I want to see the late-night poker game between broadcasts and the gang hanging out at their favorite bar, flirting with one another and obsessing over who's the cool one. I want to see them coming back to the office after getting thrown out of the bar, dancing and using the copy machine for purposes other than what was intended and having a good time because at the end of the day, they don't want to go back to their apartments -- they want to be together.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

- Sam Waterston really is playing the role of Isaac Jaffe, isn't he? They're shooting with him on the left side of the screen instead of the right, but I think the office is almost the same

Jeff Daniels sitting across the desk from Sam Waterston, getting chewed out, gave me a flashback to Isaac and Dan, sitting in the same office, having the same conversation about The Apology. Except shot from the opposite side. How weird.

nicodelaney

nicodelaney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

Jeff Daniels sitting across the desk from Sam Waterston, getting chewed out, gave me a flashback to Isaac and Dan, sitting in the same office, having the same conversation about The Apology. Except shot from the opposite side. How weird.

How redundant. Given a choice, I'd rather get out the DVDs and watch "The Apology" again. Don't get me wrong -- I like Sam and Jeff and I'm sure they knock it out of the park, but there's just something about Danny and Isaac and Rosa Parks and "I love you" and "No rich young white guy . . ."

nicodelaney

nicodelaney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 2:21 AM

There are plenty of articles about "Newsroom" -- these three had a lot to say about "Sports Night":

http://www.vulture.c...orts-night.html

http://www.hollywood...Sorkin/22657533

http://www.filmschoo...ilot-script.php

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

It'd a bit of a stretch to call it a 'reunion', but there was a gathering of Sports Night alums at the Prism Awards this week. From one of the press releases, here are some folks who were in attendance:

• Peter Krause, Parenthood
  • Joshua Malina, Scandal
  • William H. Macy, Shameless
Maybe Felicity came along to support Bill, too?
Now if only The Good Wife also had some presence at the event, that would be something!

I'll have to keep an eye on some of the photo feeds from the event to see if there's any pictures of them together.