You're Watching Sports Night On CSC, So Stick Around…

• Please log in to reply

4913 replies to this topic

pjxf99

pjxf99

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 11:18 PM

From TCTKTTOPO:

Hey everybody! Happy New Year! Ooh, maybe I'll go write a New Year fic. Give everybody at CSC a little champagne and see what happens.

Two more days before I have to go back to Tokyo. Taking the DVDs with me this time. I'll work on how I'm going to watch them later:)

wlfdncer

wlfdncer

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 5:50 AM

We're on page 3???? Bloody hell people!! *smile*

Anywayz, Just wanted to mention that I just watched S.W.A.T. with the DVD commentary of cast and director and one of the cast members giving commentary was JC. He was pretty quiet though, he didn't say much which bugged me but when he did speak up he had some funny comments and such. I really would've loved to have heard both him and Colin Farrel doing commentary though.

BewareThePhog

BewareThePhog

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 6:32 AM

Hey everybody! Happy New Year! Ooh, maybe I'll go write a New Year fic. Give everybody at CSC a little champagne and see what happens.

Boogie shoes!

Gracelessly

Gracelessly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 2:52 PM

Anywayz, Just wanted to mention that I just watched S.W.A.T. with the DVD commentary of cast and director and one of the cast members giving commentary was JC.

I was really not going to try and rent the film, mostly because every photo I saw of the film, JC was obscurred or behind someone like Colin (who I am not a big fan of) and that was so wrong. But now that I know he's on the commentary well I could give it a try. Too bad you can't pinpoint exactly when he speaks up, or would that be a tad obsessive?

wlfdncer

wlfdncer

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 3:23 PM

The only two parts where he really speaks up that I can think of are when they are in the S.W.A.T training camp for the first time and he goes head to head with Colin and then near the end during the climax scene in the plane. Other than that, he makes a couple of comments here and there but like I said before, he stays pretty quiet.

LisaJunior

LisaJunior

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 4:28 PM

I finally got the Sports Night DVD (thanks Santa!). I was able to catch the episodes I missed during the original run and in re-runs on CC.

I had never seen the seminal Sally episode. Never.

Of course I knew all about the "you're wearing my shirt, Gordon", but I hadn't seen it until the DVD.

Great scene. Great line. Great delivery. Peter Krause knocks it out of the park.

And yet I have a nitpick...How did Casey know that Gordon's generic white dress shirt was his missing shirt? And why did that bother me so much?

naugastyle

naugastyle

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 5:20 PM

Because it was his favorite shirt.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:36 AM

How did Casey know that Gordon's generic white dress shirt was his missing shirt?

What naugastyle said, and well, because he's Casey. It made perfect sense to me for Casey to be able to identify a relatively unremarkable white dress shirt. He'd been thinking about the missing shirt all day, too, right? It was on his mind.

Peter Krause knocks it out of the park.

Yes'm. He really does.

Too bad you can't pinpoint exactly when he speaks up, or would that be a tad obsessive?

In this group? Not bleedin' likely.

Boogie shoes!

And, er, other untoward things. Go, pj! Be sure to let us know how it turns out. And where to read it.

Happy 2004, all. I hope everyone is having a stupendous year so far.

teahater

teahater

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 4:00 PM

/Bump

I never had any problems believing that Casey would recognize his own shirt. Just something about his personality says that.

Alan Swann

Alan Swann

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:52 PM

It was probably the shirt he was wearing the very first time he listened to the Starland Vocal Band's "Afternoon Delight" on his Time-Life Sounds of the Seventies album. You just don't forget things like that.

pjxf99

pjxf99

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:54 PM

THAT was funny. Good one, Alan.

Dan is looking over my shoulder as I'm typing, saying, "SURE, he could remember the shirt but not our anniversary!!" Dan's a little testy.

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:43 AM

Dan is looking over my shoulder as I'm typing, saying, "SURE, he could remember the shirt but not our anniversary!!" Dan's a little testy.

Obsessed, much????

Anywayz, Just wanted to mention that I just watched S.W.A.T. with the DVD commentary of cast and director and one of the cast members giving commentary was JC.

OK, wlfdncer and I are sharing a brain. I watched the commentary too and the first thing I thought was that JC was very quiet and the second thing I thought was that wlfdncer would be a tad upset!!! Hi, how you doing?
I watched the making of featurette as well and he is a little more vocal during the interview part.

Page 2 is wrong, wrong, wrong!!

ETA: I blame this edit on posting so soon after Alan Swann. Sorry Alan but that is one of the causes of ASES.

Edited by Fighting Irish, Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:45 AM.

wlfdncer

wlfdncer

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 4:03 AM

D'oh!!!! I didn't watch the making of featurette!!! Now I wish that I had.

I'm doin ok FI, you haven't emailed lately.*pout*

teahater

teahater

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 3:15 PM

Hm. I just can't decide whether or not to buy SWAT. I hated it. I mean, I HATED it, but I just love Josh Charles so much. But then I hate what they did to his character.

*sigh*

I'm so torn.

wlfdncer

wlfdncer

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 7:08 PM

you could always just rent it whenever you feel the urge for a little JC. *shrugs*

nerdyduck

nerdyduck

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:25 AM

Hi, I'm new to this board and just wanted to share my love for Sports Night. I still have some recorded episodes that I refused to overtape. Plus, it saves me from going out and buying the DVDs although I'll probably buy them anyways.

teahater, I would just rent S.W.A.T. if you ever have that urge. I feel the exact same way you do, especially since I love Josh Charles.

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 3:36 AM

Welcome, nerdyduck. What are your favourite episodes, quotations, characters etc?
I bought the SWAT DVD but I enjoyed the movie, both times I saw it in the cinema!!! Oh well that is only me. Renting is also a very good option.

Lufah

Lufah

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 12:34 PM

This is the first time I've posted in this subject - I never watched SN when it was on (I went through a seven year period of not having TV, so I hadn't even heard of it before). I recently started watching the Bravo repeats of The West Wing, and had heard good things about SN here and there on TWOP, so after Christmas I went out and got both the SN DVD set and the season one DVD set of TWW.

So first of all - is Dana played by the same woman who was in Profiler?

Secondly, it's really interesting to watch both DVD sets simultaneously. There are a lot of things used in SN that were also used in TWW, so I had intermittant deja vu while watching.

As far as how I felt about the series, I didn't love it. I thought it was a decent show, but it felt kind of awkward - I think the blurb for SN in Permanent Hiatus says something like "it didn't know if it wanted to be a comedy or a drama" and I completely agree with it. I had maybe one laugh at loud moment every episode, which is a lot better than most shows on right now, but it wasn't anything that I would have made a special point of watching while it was on. I mean, SN definitely had its good points - I loved the dynamic between Casey and Dan, and loved those characters, along with Isaac and sometimes Natalie. However, Jeremy and Dana were almost always completely irritating. The whole dating plan plot was moronic. I cringed during the letters to Louise episodes. Jeremy and Natalie's relationship seemed to consist of "I'm dorky!" "I'm horny!" and that was about it. I didn't find myself "shipping" any two characters except for maybe Dan/Natalie.

I think I watch TV shows and find myself more interested in the characters than the actual plots. And like I said, there were some very strong characters on SN. But it's kind of like Friends - I really like Chandler, but detest Monica and Ross to the point where I can't even stand to turn on the show. I wasn't to that point in SN, but I definitely lost a lot of interest while watching the DVDs whenever Jeremy and Dana came on the screen.

I wish the tertiary characters had been used more, I think they had a lot of potential. Dan's character was incredible, and I would have been happy to have a whole show just focused on him. All in all, I don't regret buying ths DVDs, and I was definitely entertained enough to keep watching the set the whole way through, but I'm still a little bit disappointed. I wanted to fall in love with this show like I had with Firefly or The West Wing, but it's just not happening.

By the way, one of my biggest laughs in the show was the mention of Sacco and Vanzetti. Hee!

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 1:20 PM

So first of all - is Dana played by the same woman who was in Profiler?

Dana = Felicity Huffman
Profiler woman = Ally Walker

eeowyn

eeowyn

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 4:36 PM

Whoa. It's been 55 hours since I began watching the SN DVD set, and now I'm done. I definitely liked most of it. Loved some – and then there was the dating plan (there aren't words to describe it, quite frankly).

But I gotta tell ya, I had no idea Peter Krause was so good in this! I remembered him from Cybill (not that I ever, you know, watched it or anything) and was aware of him in SFU, but why didn't anyone hit me over the head and tell me he is this frickin' good? Lord, he definitely has replaced Deputy Downer as my tv boyfriend. (Buh-bye.)

I was glad to see how many people associated with TWW were involved in this series. I actually cheered for Janet Ashikaga in "Six Southern Gentlemen from Tennessee"!

All the episodes are blending together, but fave episode would have to be Smoky at the moment. Yay! for the Finland mentions. And Dan's / Josh Charles's pronounciation of Esa-Pekka Salonen was pretty damn impressive.

This has made me realize how much I miss Benjamin and Tommy!Schlamme!. More later. I have to, you know, catch up on reality. I'll stick around...

BewareThePhog

BewareThePhog

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 11:11 PM

I wanted to fall in love with this show like I had with Firefly or The West Wing, but it's just not happening.

I'm the opposite - I love SportsNight, but I just never could get into The West Wing. Whatever magic Aaron Sorkin infused into SportsNight just seems to be missing. Many people have commented on the wonderful dialog in TWW during Sorkin's tenure there (and mentioned his tendency to repeat material from SportsNight and other projects such as The American President), so I don't think it was that. I guess that I just didn't find the characters as well conceived, whereas I really think that he came up with a good ensemble for SN (which was also superbly cast as well).

I also freely admit that my lack of love for TWW is no doubt at least partly due to the differing subject matters. Politics is "serious", and sports is not - and while Sorkin was not shy about injecting political perspectives into SportsNight, that's not what drove the plots. I guess that when I'm looking for some escapism, I don't necessarily want to get wrapped up with political discussions, regardless of whether I agree or disagree with the positions being taken. Both sides of the political spectrum are more than capable of coming up with tiresome rhetoric, and I prefer it in small doses (as occasionally sprinkled into SportsNight) rather than as a main course during leisurely TV watching, particularly during an election year. After all, we're about to be inundated with more than enough political rhetoric over the next 11 months.

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 4:23 PM

I wanted to fall in love with this show like I had with Firefly or The West Wing, but it's just not happening

I have been a long term fan of The West Wing. I am not at all interested in politics but this show kind of changed that. I have learned little things from the show but I wouldn't claim to know what is going on at times. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I don't live in the US and that politics in Ireland is slightly different. Still I do enjoy the show and never miss an episode. It was from West Wing that I heard about Sports Night. I adore both shows for very different reasons. I love the characters and levity of SN while I enjoy the intellectual aspect of the WW. Having said that I'm not trivialising SN, there are some serious moments and thought provoking scenes in the show.

libby

libby

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 4:47 PM

I must agree with Fighting Irish. I first saw The West Wing and then heard about Sports Night. They eventually showed it here in Australia at midnight after the wrap up show during the Winter Olympics. Only 11 eps. I stayed up and taped them. I fell in love with the show. There are times when I just want to slap both Dana and Natalie. They drive me nuts. I love the Casey/Dan dynamic and both of their relationships with Isaac.

I think the main reason I love both shows is because they don't treat me like I'm stupid. It's refreshing. While the topics are entirely different, they are both smart shows.

LisaJunior

LisaJunior

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:16 PM

I think I feel differently than most...

I always felt that SN was such a great concept becaue it blended well-written comedy and drama in the surprise setting of a late night sports show.

The typical "jocks & sports folks are dumber than a sack of hair" refrain didn't resonate in SN because of how smartly the characters where written and played.

When I attempted to watch TWW, I found the snappy banter and long winded Sorken-speak, that makes SN, annoying and trite when set against the politically tinged White House backdrop.

**I should probably add the disclaimer that I share more of Sorkin's political views than I oppose, since ideology is often a criticism of TWW.**

I know its much more popular and critically aclaimed, but I've never connected with TWW they way I do with SN.

As an aside, I just purchased new pair of glasses. The clerk was showing me a few different setswhen she suggested I try on the frames in "gunmetal." Sold!

Edited by LisaJunior, Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:20 PM.

eeowyn

eeowyn

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 3:19 PM

I'm another SN convert because of TWW (and these boards, I might add). I was watching the first episodes of S1, and while I acknowlegde The Apology and Dan's speech on-air to be perfect, I'm happy Sorkin et al didn't try to cram more serious themes in SN.

T6SGfTT, for example: I appreciate the theme and admit that it provoked some thoughts in my head, but there just wasn't enough time to explore the topic in a satisfactory manner. I'm glad TPTB dropped the political themes and opted to explore the characters themselves.

One favorite example of this was in WKODHIB, when Casey talks to Charlie and ends the conversation with "I'm your father. Who'd you think I was?" I really liked Peter Krause's delivery in the scene. (I really like Peter Krause in general. While I see that Josh Charles attracts quite a fanbase here, any other PK fanatics wanna join me here?)

However, I am alone in thinking that there's no way Charlie would have understood anything from the conversation pretty soon after "you were scared during that"? I loved Casey's little speech, but, c'mon, Charlie is nine years old. (I realize the writing isn't aimed that particular demo.) They could've fixed with a few shots of Charlie looking confused and worried, and end it with a happy look after Casey smiles at him.

Edited by eeowyn, Jan 12, 2004 @ 3:22 PM.

HeadCase

HeadCase

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 3:58 PM

any other PK fanatics wanna join me here?

Me! Me! I love Peter Krause and Casey has been my favorite SN character from the beginning. The first episode I ever saw was Intellectual Property and the bit with the fly in the studio just cracked me up.

I also have never gotten into TWW that much. For me, it's all about the characters. I can appreciate the writing and direction of a show like TWW, but I have to love the characters in order for the show to really grab me the way SN did. I liked these people, foibles and all, and I enjoyed spending time in their company.

pjxf99

pjxf99

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 10:02 PM

Hee! I'm sitting here on my lunch break reading a book called Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner (very good book, btw). I just read this passage, where her family is trying to figure out why the baby is crying:

"Maybe she's hungry," said Tanya.

"Wet diaper," suggested my Mom.

"Disappointed with ABC's prime-time lineup," I said.

Peter cracked up.

"Well, she's a very discerning viewer," I said, bouncing Joy against my shoulder. "She really liked Sports Night."

Yay!!!!!

Alan Swann

Alan Swann

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 10:38 PM

Love it! One more book for my (ever-lengthening) gotta-read list.

I liked these people, foibles and all, and I enjoyed spending time in their company. - HeadCase

Exactly.

kschica

kschica

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 1:19 AM

I just have to shout out to BewarethePhog....I take it you're a fellow Jayhawk?

Anyhow...Just thought I'd share in the Sportsnight love. I still miss some of the Casey/Dan moments. PK and JC had awesome chemistry. I'm contemplating a DVD purchase...All the talk here makes me think it's worth it.

Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 6:10 AM

kschica, as somebody told me when I asked whether I should buy the DVD "Run, do not walk to buy the DVD's". I have never regretted buying them. I love sitting down and rewatching certain episodes. They cheer me up no end when I'm feeling down.
eeowyn You picked one of my favourite Casey moments

One favorite example of this was in WKODHIB, when Casey talks to Charlie and ends the conversation with "I'm your father. Who'd you think I was?" I really liked Peter Krause's delivery in the scene.

That exchange between Casey and Charlie was just so sweet and the acting was spot on. Yay for PK.. The kid was very good as well.