The WWE: Y’all Know It Belongs Here

• Please log in to reply

11365 replies to this topic

BassetHound

BassetHound

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 8:37 AM

Man, did Smackdown suck last night. A-Train vs. Shannon Moore? Chavo Sr.? Wrestling?

I will give the WWE credit for the whole "Brock hangs around Big Show because Big Show has a restraining order against Hardcore Holly" sub-plotline, which was pretty funny. I love how Brock claimed to have "gained 15 pounds" just following Big Show around.

JohnConstantine

JohnConstantine

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 11:02 AM

The only letdown was the ending of the Orton/Hurricane match. I hate the way Orton always gets beat up for several minutes and then just applies his finishing move out of nowhere. He is definitely Triple H Junior.

word. He's kicking out of other people's finishers as much as ZZZ does now, and it doesn't matter how much offense the other guy's brought, or how little Orton's done to that point, if he hits the RKO, it's all over, guaranteed. *yawn*

I bet they'd let him kick out of RVD's Five-Star at this point.

I'm glad they're not dropping the Trish/Jericho storyline. Best story either of them has had in a long time, and they've earned it.

jjfc

jjfc

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 12:22 PM

I'm a bit surprised at all this Orton hate. I found his RNN stuff very funny when he was injured and I like the anti-Foley commercials. His matches with RVD both at Armaggedon and a couple weeks ago at Raw were very good. The difference between the RKO and Pedigree is that for a lot of wrestlers its a pretty easy move to reverse. RVD, Booker T, HBK, Goldy, and even mid-carders like Val Venis have reversed it. Why wait for a kickout when you can generate instant offense for the opponent?

Edited by jjfc, Jan 23, 2004 @ 12:23 PM.

BassetHound

BassetHound

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 4:33 PM

I think the Orton hate is because he is the new WWE "golden child" and is the hand-picked successor to HHH. He hasn't come up and paid his dues. He hasn't performed big in big matches or PPVs. Guys like Y2J or Booker T are much better wrestlers. I don't think Orton is even one of the top 3 young wrestlers in the WWE. I'd take Cena, Maven, or Batista over him. He may be a step above Heindrich, Cade, Jindrak or the Bashems, but he is not really that good of a wrestler. In fact, technically, both Bashems are probably better than he is.

Jujyfruit

Jujyfruit

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 7:00 PM

I'm a bit surprised at all this Orton hate.

I don't hate Orton. I think he has the potential to be a big star in the future. But he is getting too much of a push right now. I have no problem with Orton as the IC champ but he's been pretty much invincible for months. OTOH, maybe this is what WWE wants so that it will be all the sweeter when he finally does lose (to Foley?).

Did anyone else think that Kurt had turned heel when he Angle-slammed Eddie?

Nflux Forever

Nflux Forever

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 8:01 PM

The rumble match is always fun, and with the split roster you can never be sure who's going to win it.

This year is actually pretty unique because in past years it was always fairly obvious who would win the Rumble (ie. Austin, Rock, Triple H, Brock). This year however it could go in any number of directions. After looking over the participants and weeding out the obvious losers i have guessed that one out of these 5 five guys are gonna win it and have put in order from most likely to least likely.

1. Kane- His badassness has been shoved down our throats for the last few months and having him as champion would tons better than Triple H for the 53rd consecutive week.

2. Chris Benoit- His #1 entrant status makes him a massive underdog and they're the ones who usually come and win it all. Plus I think he's ready for world champion status

3. Chris Jericho- He's been very low key lately, plus it's been forever since he was the champion. He's a long shot but I would be pleasantly surprised if he won

4. John Cena- Aside from Benoit he's the Smackdown superstar who has been consistantly in the forefront in the last few weeks. He's also only mainevented in a title match on pay per view once in last year(Last April at Backlash against Brock). Coupled with his newly acquired face status and Cena's definately a favorite of mine.

5. Goldberg- Mr. #30 and the one that I least want to win the rumble. Only put him here because he is the favorite to win it, even though the Number 30 entrant almost never wins despite the great advantage they supposedly have. Still you never know.

Edited by Nflux Forever, Jan 23, 2004 @ 8:54 PM.

OMGItsKane

OMGItsKane

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 12:37 PM

The best part of Orton was his RNN commercials and these recent Mick Foley commercials. "Mick Foley, hardcore legend. Or is he?"

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2004 @ 11:01 PM

Chris Benoit is going to Wrestlemania!!!

The results from Royal Rumble Flair/Batista, Rey Mysterio, Eddie Guerrero, and Brock Lesnar all won their respective matches.

The Last Man Standing match ended in a draw. Bullshit! I wouldn't have been mad if HBK won, I wouldn't have been mad if Triple H won, that way we get a winner. This draw crap may work for a Raw or Smackdown possibly for a small PPV, but not for 1 of the big 4 when people shell out $35 for it.

The Rumble match itself. Randy Orton was #2 he lasted until #21 which was Test but someone attacked Test and they took his place that person was Mick Foley. Foley eliminated himself and Orton. Kane was #12 and he lasted until #13 when the lights went out and the Undertaker's old music started playing. Taker never came out but that distracted Kane enough to where Booker T through him out. Goldberg was eliminated by Kurt Angle after Brock Lesnar attacked him. That's right Lesnar attacked Goldberg and gave him the F 5. We all know that's going to main event Wrestlemania now(I'm glad). Benoit eliminated Big Slow to win it all.

I left out talking about John Cena for the following reason he got hurt. Big Slow threw him out and he landed on his leg wierd, the ref wound up giving the X signal and backstage crew came out. That's terrible if he's out for a long period of time.

On the front of Hosses injuring smaller guys, Matt Morgan threw Hurricane out and he also landed on his leg strange. I don't know if the ref gave the X signal, but that's what happens when you have a guy with very little training manhandle a small guy, if the Hurricane is hurt Morgan better be in OVW soon. People may point to the Lesnar Holly situation, but watch that power bomb Holly didn't help Brock at all he "sandbagged" him and Holly deserves more blame than Brock for that.

Overall it was better than Armageddon. Taker(he didn't actually appear) and Foley returning were total mark out moments, Goldberg Lesnar at Wrestlemania is going to rock, and Benoit won the Rumble.

The Last Man Standing match pissed me off, I would have liked a winner(so would've the Philly crowd they didn't hide the fact they were pissed at that), and longer matches, Lesnar Holly, Flair/Batista Dudleys, Rey Noble, and Eddie Chavo combined last less than 25 minutes.

It was better than Armageddon but it wasn't worth $35.

Edited by jediknight, Jan 25, 2004 @ 11:04 PM.

BassetHound

BassetHound

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 8:23 AM

I agree with JediKinight's assessment. A good PPV, but not $35 good. The HHH/HBK match was decent, but was bloody to the point of utter grossness, and the "draw" sucked. Of course, I didn't expect HHH to give up the strap, but whatever.

The other matches felt too rushed, including the tag match and the cruiserweight match. I felt the Holly/Brock match was too quick, given all the build-up it had on Smackdown the last several months. They should have scrapped the tag match and given Mysterio/Noble and Brock/Hardcore more time.

The Rumble itself was really good. Foley eliminating Orton was great, as was the battle against big show. Angle's elimination was really well done. He got Big Slow in an ankle lock and basically forced him to climb his fat ass over the top rope. Big Slow got a quasi-reverse, though, and used his leg to flip Angle out of the ring. Well done. Benoit used a similar technique with his cross face to eliminate Slow last.

Some great Rumble moments were Nunzio hiding out ringside to avoid having to go in when his number was called; Kane's quick exit; and the bizzare but funny entrance by The Cat, who came in, danced for 2 minutes, and got eliminated. I thought Matt Morgan looked good among the young guys. I was happy Goldberg got eliminated (although it didn't happen "cleanly" because Brock had to interfere).

I hope Hurricaine and Cena are OK. Both landed funny when thrown out of the ring. Cena's seemed purely accidental. With Hurricaine, I don't know how much was Morgan's exuberance in throwing him out of the ring.

Edited by BassetHound, Jan 26, 2004 @ 8:23 AM.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 8:40 AM

The Cat's entrance was hilarious. Not because of what he did, but because I had no idea that a crowd could be that quiet at a Royal Rumble. Seriously he got no reaction.

jjfc

jjfc

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 9:20 AM

I was in Philly for the Rumble. The crowd was dead for most of the matches, but the rumble was awesome. The crowd was p1ssed when Cena got thrown out, and I think the injury isn't serious because he walked out on his own power. Biggest reaction of the night was when Foley came out. The ending was OK and I was happy Benoit won, but when it came down to him and Show, it was so obvious that Benoit would win that the crowd was pretty dead. I also didn't understand why in the final 10 everyone except Show was a face.

BassetHound

BassetHound

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 10:23 AM

I also didn't understand why in the final 10 everyone except Show was a face.

Rico, Orton, Nunzio, Charlie Haas and Christian were all in the final 10 and all qualify as heels. Test was suppossed to be in the final 10, but Foley clocked him and took his place.

Also, RajaWWE is reporting that Cena is fine. No word on Hurricaine.

jjfc

jjfc

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 10:32 AM

By my count final ten was Haas, Show, RVD, Jehrico, Gunn, Cena, Angle, Benoit, Goldy, and Nunzio. Admittedly, I forgot about Nunzio, but Haas and Benji are in the middle of a face turn.

BassetHound

BassetHound

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 11:24 AM

The final 10 guys out were 21-Foley, 22-Christian, 23-Nunzio, 24-Big Slow, 25-Y2J, 26-Haas, 27-Bily Gunn, 28-Cena, 29-RVD, 30-Goldberg. Orton and Benoit were second and first, respectively, but were among the final 10 thrown over the top rope. Christian, Nunzio and Show are heels. I see your point about Haas, but he's no face, at least not yet. Foley (substituting for Test-a heel), Cena and RVD are the only true faces. Goldberg is a lone wolf type that the crowd really didn't like that much (they cheered for him when he came out, but also cheered when Brock F-5'd him and he got bounced by Angle). Y2J is completing a face turn. Gunn is a face that nobody likes.

jjfc

jjfc

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 11:53 AM

Yeah, I was talking about last ten to go over the top rope not come out. Also, Foley may have been subbing for a heel, but he is certainly a face. Orton couldn't possibly have been one of the last ten thrown over because nine guys came after Foley and Benoit won. Also, Angle was still in he was the second to last person eliminated, and he's a face. When I'm talking about heels/face, I mean how the WWE books them, not fan reaction so Gunn(who I hate) and Goldy (who I hate even more) still count as faces.

Being there live, I think they should have put Foley in later like 26, so that it really seemed like Orton and Benoit were going to go coast to coast. Also, I would have made a bigger deal about the Y2J and Cena's elimination.

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 2:54 PM

I didn't see it, but I'm so glad to hear that Benoit won the RR, he totally deserves it. Good stuff.

Nflux Forever

Nflux Forever

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 4:03 PM

Benoit winning the Rumble does raise an interesting question. Who is he gonna face at Wrestlemania Since we know that Brock is gonna throw down with Goldberg and more likely loses the title between now and then

Any speculation?

BassetHound

BassetHound

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 5:07 PM

Speculation as to who gets the strap from Brock, assuming Brock loses it before wrestlmania? Well, it would have to be someone from SmackDown!, and leading candidates would be Cena, Eddie G., or Angle. I can't see Eddie getting it so soon after the tag belt/ U.S. Title reigns. Cena is over huge, but I don't know if Cena/Benoit is what WWE wants right now. Angle is coming off 2 neck surgeries in the last 8 months, so I can't see him getting a big push right now. I would think Brock keeps the strap up to Wrestlemania and goes against Benoit? Maybe Goldberg's feud with Brock won't last through 'Mania? Rumors are that the WWE isn't real thrilled with Goldberg, and his popularity with the crowd is very iffy.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 5:14 PM

Benoit winning the Rumble does raise an interesting question. Who is he gonna face at Wrestlemania

Any speculation?

The plan is for Benoit to be traded to Raw for Goldberg and Benoit would challenge Triple H for the title.

Here's the backstage reason for the draw at Royal Rumble. The WWE saw that as the only way the match could end. They want Triple H to go into a big match at Wrestlemania and that would have taken away heat from him. HBK is the top babyface on Raw and him losing to HHH would take away from him. That's a pathetic reason for the draw. Evolution could have run down and cost HBK the match and losing a match won't take anything away from HBK.

Raw better make up for last night.

BTW massive props to the Philly crowd for the silence during the Cat's entrance, not holding back the truth about the LMS draw(damn right it was bullshit), and cheering when Brock hit Holly with the F 5 then pinned him(see WWE Holly's not over).

Cena's going to be alright, but I haven't heard an update on the Hurricane.

Some bad news, former WWF/E president Jack Tunney passed away Saturday at the age of 68.

Nflux Forever

Nflux Forever

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 6:28 PM

Rumors are that the WWE isn't real thrilled with Goldberg

I think it has do with the WWE not wanting Goldberg to use the Jackhammer anymore.

Jujyfruit

Jujyfruit

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 6:53 PM

Gunn is a face that nobody likes.

I was under the impression Billy was coming back as a heel. His "Best of Billy" countdown seemed like it was meant to be annoying. At least I hope so. Otherwise WWE is doing a horrible job selling this guy.

Glad to see Benoit won the Rumble, but bad idea having him against Big Slow at the end. Big Slow doesn't even defend the belt he has now, so everybody knew that he wasn't going to get the WM title shot. It would have been much better to have Goldberg vs. Benoit at the end. Goldberg was a credible threat to win. And when Brock came out everyone would think he was after Benoit, so it would be a shock when he took down Goldberg. Overall, a fairly predictable PPV. And the HHH/HBK draw is such crap. Even a HHH win is better than that. Hopefully, Cena and Hurricane are OK.

BTW massive props to the Philly crowd for the silence during the Cat's entrance, not holding back the truth about the LMS draw(damn right it was bullshit), and cheering when Brock hit Holly with the F 5 then pinned him(see WWE Holly's not over).

I think Cat just danced his ass back to Velocity. And Holly might be joining him before long.

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 10:40 PM

Well, Benoit popped up on RAW and I was all yay! He better win the title at WM that is for damn sure. I don't care what WWE's "rationale" is for their crazy ass booking, Benoit deserves the strap.

Nflux Forever

Nflux Forever

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 10:58 PM

Saw the Undertaker clip. I slowmoed the clip and found the following Images,

1.Numerous tombs and graves
2.The creepy little girls
3.Satanic Taker
4.Famous Original Taker
5.Snakes
6.A throne we've never seen before

The throne was featured predominately in the clip, so I'm left to ponder it's meaning.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 2:32 AM

You sure we've never seen that throne before? It seems vaugely familiar to me. I could have sworn I've seen Ministry Taker sitting on it in promos for a PPV.

Sprout

Sprout

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 6:41 AM

Yeah, I also think the throne is a leftover from the Ministry of Darkness days.

All in all, a pretty good Raw. Gotta love Foley busting himself open with his bare hands and spattering blood on Randy Orton, who played the whole "Oh crap, now I've pissed him off" thing very well. Also good to see Benoit on Raw, let's just hope he's not buried by HHH like every other non-Micheals babyface has been.

jjfc

jjfc

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 10:03 AM

The Foley Promo was awesome. One of the best promos in a while. Orton's selling of it made up for the blown RKO in the first match (which was also partially Y2J's fault). As for Y2J I love the Trish storyline. They have me completely fooled as to where they're going with it. The Stacy run out after Jackie exposed herself was completely unnecessary but I loved it.

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 10:35 AM

I agree the Foley promo was great but I'm worried about the guy's health, I can't help it. I'm sure he wouldn't be doing this if he didn't feel up to it, but at the end when he banged the chair against his own head, I was cringing and not in a good way.

BassetHound

BassetHound

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 1:32 PM

Also good to see Benoit on Raw, let's just hope he's not buried by HHH like every other non-Micheals babyface has been.

My biggest fear watching Benoit standing on stage next to HHH and HBK last night, with the crowd chanting "Benoit" was that HHH would never, EVER, give up HIS belt to Benoit, and certainly not at Wrestlmania.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 3:50 PM

Raw was actually good last night.

The Jericho face turn has been completed. Victoria's getting a face push, give her the title back, things haven't been the same since she lost it. Christian's promo kicked ass. I marked out for Benoit and the Undertaker.

Was it just me or did Lillian say "Here is your winner, Chuck Goldberg."?

Foley is god.

Cerebro

Cerebro

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 4:35 PM

I liked Raw, too.
Jericho, Christian, Foley and Benoit were all great.
My only problem was Randy Orton. That boy can't talk worth shit live. He's much better represented in things that can be edited, like the wonderful RNN and the Foley smear campaign.