The Smallville Bottomless, Deep Bitterness Society

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

8029 replies to this topic

Cyb

Cyb

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2004 @ 10:26 PM

Bumping this up, it was mentioned in the newbie thread.

rebelqueen

rebelqueen

Couch Potato

• Interests:Once and FutureTV loveaffairs:Gilmore, Buffy, Firefly, NCIS, ER, WOT,Bones,Alias,Chuck,Life, Eleventh Hour(Rufus Sewell=pretty) Miami Medical(JN=pretty) Ringer, Once Upon a Time, Dollhouse, Good Wife and of course Battlestar Galactica(save for the last 30 minutes of the ending).

Posted Apr 27, 2004 @ 1:53 PM

Hello everyone, just wanted to make a brief little post in the thread and apply for my little badge or shotglass or whatever betokens membership in the club. Do we have a song or a drink of choice? Thought I'd just wave and say hello as after seeing the spoilers(maybe its divine punishment for being a spoilerho) I am thinking I will be spending some quality time over here next season.

tropicalgeko

tropicalgeko

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 12:46 AM

What is the purpose of this thread? I don't think I'v ever seen it before, but from the name of it, I think I want to join in....

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 9:25 AM

What is the purpose of this thread? I don't think I'v ever seen it before, but from the name of it, I think I want to join in....

Basically, we talk about all the things that make us unhappy about the show, and how easily the writers/producers could make us happy if they made a few changes, which they will probably never do because they are so sure they're right (about Lana being the center of the universe, so all of us must/will eventually love her and, even if we don't, most of us aren't their target demographic anyway so who cares, for example), so it's hard not to be bitter.

Although, considering how much overall ratings have dropped, how well can they actually be doing with that target demographic, really?

LexClark4ever

LexClark4ever

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 11:16 AM

This thread is also a place to rant about what great potential it had before it became Lanaville. It's wonderful therapy for me.

sevenless

sevenless

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 11:31 AM

I like bitterness. Bitterness sprinkled with sarcasm and a dash of hostility. Take away all that and there's nothing left of me but my name. What are YOU lookin' at? Not YOU. Miss Lang, over there. What's HER problem?!

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 11:33 AM

Do you think the show has any chance of reaching its potential? I mean, that's what we all seem to be waiting for. For the writers/producers to have some kind of epiphany about how to make the show great. But we're three seasons in, and the show's still struggling creatively.

I used to think there was little chance the show would try to make changes. Whatever I thought of it, it was still pulling in the ratings, and why would M&G try to fix what wasn't broke, in their opinion? But with the ratings dropping the way they have, maybe someone will finally decide improvements are necessary. Or is that a pipe dream?

angiebee

angiebee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 12:19 PM

Do you think the show has any chance of reaching its potential? I mean, that's what we all seem to be waiting for.

I think it gets partially there, then trip and fall. To quote The Boss (no, not Omar) the writers take one step forward and two steps back.

I used to think there was little chance the show would try to make changes. Whatever I thought of it, it was still pulling in the ratings, and why would M&G try to fix what wasn't broke, in their opinion? But with the ratings dropping the way they have, maybe someone will finally decide improvements are necessary. Or is that a pipe dream?

I think that M&G doesn’t realize there’s a problem with the show. They pretty much have show-job security because although the ratings flounder, the WB knows there is a huge following for the show in the fans of Superman and that entire universe. Plus, the difference between Smallville and Angel (because Angel had a Buffy following), Smallville probably costs a bit less shooting in Canada and all. Whereas Angel was shot in Los Angeles. So I don’t think the WB is going to say “This is too cost prohibitive to continue with this show.” The network must have this attitude of “If we write it, they will come.”

But to answer of the show reaching its potential, I’m still holding out hopes. I may be biased, but I think the biggest problem is that the shows focus seems to be more of Clark and Blahna…I mean, Lana. Which they can interject now and again, but to keep doing this dance of all things Clark and Lana is played out. It’s about as played out as the Macarena.

sevenless

sevenless

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 12:30 PM

It's painful to watch SV, getting a morsel of what it could be, every so often. And then its right back to suckity Suckville. It leaves one longing. That's why we tune in every damn week, no matter how many promises we make to ourselves.

I've given up hoping SV will reach its potential. At this point I'll be content getting more of Shattered-type stuff. If the last few episodes turn out like that, I'll be happy. But if it turns out to be fluff - esp. Lana fluff - I'll go into S4 wondering why I'm bothering to watch it. Esp. since there won't even be any more Clex. Which makes me very sad.

rebelqueen

rebelqueen

Couch Potato

• Interests:Once and FutureTV loveaffairs:Gilmore, Buffy, Firefly, NCIS, ER, WOT,Bones,Alias,Chuck,Life, Eleventh Hour(Rufus Sewell=pretty) Miami Medical(JN=pretty) Ringer, Once Upon a Time, Dollhouse, Good Wife and of course Battlestar Galactica(save for the last 30 minutes of the ending).

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 12:58 PM

sevenless: don't yet mourn the passing of the Clex-especially if evilness begins to insue, there could still be all sorts of sparky goodness(e.g Syd/Sark season 2, Irina/Jack, Lilah/Wes, ,or there's always the Spuffy.)- maybe even more so now that they have a past and they'll be a more open nature to the ship. That's why I am telling myself, but then hey, I watch Charmed,so maybe you should not trust me

As for the Potenial Greatness(PG) of the show, Seeing as how amazing most of the cast is, the creators might be coasting. For example, people have said in other threads(and if its any of ya'll clue me in and I'll give you proper credit.) how miserable some of the lines are that Lex has, yet MR always make them shine and glow. AM, as well, can make her character assassination by the writers look all manner of good. Even AOT manages to give her character a massive amount of dignity and presence and a feeling of intellect, despite the fact they have made her a cipher. Thus, you have wicked good people who can notch up anything given them, so it could just make the writers lazy. As for return to greatness or coming greatness, what got me sucked in was the Clex and thats in all manner of danger(I delude myself afterthe spoileryclip for tonight's sode that my ship still floats, but ehh). I believe it could be great, what it needs is some more tight Executive Producing and a deal with the continuity Fairy to have the shows back- I keep thinking the recent NYtimes article about Alias describes what must go with SV-where the writers seems to make stuff up midway through, changing already established storylines just for kicks, and generally hanging onto a cliff by their fingernails. As I've already said, i am in a sick sad relationship with this show and I am with it to the bitter end. And if they give us even the small amount of kickass episodes as we have gotten this season for the next one or two, it could be worth it. Hope springs forever eternal.

Edited by rebelqueen, Apr 28, 2004 @ 12:59 PM.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 1:41 PM

but then hey, I watch Charmed,so maybe you should not trust me

When I found myself getting more excited about the storyline on CHARMED than the one on SMALLVILLE, I knew something was out of whack somewhere.

That's part of what's missing. Excitement. I don't feel a sense of excitement over SV. Or mystery either, for that matter. I'm not rubbing my hands together with glee about this or that happening.

Part of it was that there was a big secret on CHARMED this year, and we were just waiting for the characters to find out the truth. They teased us with it a little bit, but not too much. Now, after almost a whole season (from last year's finale to about two weeks ago) the truth is all out, and we're watching to see the consequences.

SMALLVILLE has it's big secret, too. Clark is an alien. And they tease us with someone finding out in every promo, whether its Lex (who will never find out, or will never remember if he does), Chloe (who probably won't find out and, if she does, it'll be later), Lionel (he might find out, but he'll probably die soon afterwards, and they don't want to lose that character this soon), Lana (who probably will find out but, like Chloe, it would be later). In the meantime, plenty of other people have found out, and have either died, or been sent to the nut house.

When they teased that Chloe might find out in "Truth", I felt nothing. I mean, I should have been chomping at the bit, waiting to see if she'd learn Clark's secret. But, after three years, I knew she wouldn't. Clark would be imune to her truth mojo. She'd never make it to the Kent farm. If she did, Clark would stop her before she could question his parents. Even if he didn't stop her, she'd forget whatever she learned because of the Levitas.

It's a pony whose one trick has been played out, but I bet they'll keep hinting at it in seasons to come, and building episodes around it (which they did with "Truth"). And we'll keep caring less and less until, when someone does finally find out, we won't care at all. And, on a show about a teen-aged Superman, someone finding out the truth should be a big deal. But, on SV, it just isn't any more.

Edited by Bitterswete, Apr 28, 2004 @ 1:42 PM.

mobiusklein

mobiusklein

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 2:01 PM

I think the major problem with the series is just plain pacing. They'll speed through really interesting stuff like Lex thinking he's a freak and go on and on and on about the Clana "secrets and lies" crap. I think they repeat certain things too much but totally skim on stuff that would totally rock if they fleshed it out.

I think that ideally this should be a 2-3 year show with maybe 18 episodes each year. Just imagine the show minus the filler, minus the Clana pandering, minus a lot of the repetition and there's actually a really interesting show there. Without so much repetition, the learning curve would appear to be a LOT faster and Clark wouldn't look so damn dumb.

I don't think it'll ever be a "great" show per se. It'll just continue to show flashes of what could have been without ever becoming a show where most of the episodes are Lineage, Shattered, Pilot quality . . . .

queenbee3

queenbee3

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 2:02 PM

I'm so bitter that the acting on this show is so damn good. Well, in the case of the Chluthors anyway. (which, to be honest is what I watch for, I'm already bored with the whole "teenege superman" thing. God, that sounds awful, but true nonetheless)
I just keep coming back, but the sprinkling of really good storylines just don't really make up for the high percentage of awful ones IMHO, but I'm so enamored of MR, JG and AM at this point, I can't stop watching.
Bitter, bitter, bitter, that's me. ;-)

stoutheartedmin

stoutheartedmin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 2:03 PM

My name is Min, and I'm a Charmed-aholic.

Amazed at all the Charmed love, since it is, without a doubt, my greatest guilty pleasure since The Dukes of Hazard. But Charmed has been fun this year...time travel, secret identities, unrequited love, nature-defying hair color, gravity-defying garments. If only it had a villain with Lionel's charm and menace...

I'm not as bitter about Smallville as I was before Truth. But the day is young.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 2:36 PM

I just keep coming back, but the sprinkling of really good storylines just don't really make up for the high percentage of awful ones IMHO, but I'm so enamored of MR, JG and AM at this point, I can't stop watching.

I'm right there with you. I've pretty much been watching this show for Lex for quite a while now. Then Chloe joined the list some time this season. And I always sit up and take notice when Lionel is on the screen. I don't watch for AOT, because she's just not there enough. But I'd love a really good Martha episode. Let's find out she did something scandalous before she met Jonathan. Let's see Lionel try to slither back into her life. Heck, let's see her finally decide to really reach out to Lex, which I thought she would have done long before now.

As for CHARMED, I just realized Grams doesn't know. And Penny! Penny doesn't know! And there's always the chance that evil, hot, Adult!Wyatt will pay a visit! Maybe throw around some more energy balls while flexing those biceps in that tight black t-shirt. (Rubs hands together with more glee.)

I'm trying to think of something I'd anticipate with SV. Clark flying? Maybe Lois showing up?

catpower2000

catpower2000

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 2:46 PM

Yep, that's me in a nutshell too. Not even really AM so much, especially after last week. Just those loveable, lovely, lustful, lonely, lickable Luthors!!!

But it doesn't stop me from being bitter about the rest of the damned show, especially the new-found hate I'm having for the Clark character, when TW was the whole reason I started watching the show. Why would you cast someone so ridiculously hot and then make his character such a complete doofus?

Min, I'm starting to get hooked on Charmed, too. Hell, I'm starting to get hooked on One Tree Hill (gloriously trashy piece of crap that it is.)

stoutheartedmin

stoutheartedmin

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 2:59 PM

Why would you cast someone so ridiculously hot and then make his character such a complete doofus?

That is the question, isn't it? If you were Joss Whedon, or even Aaron Sorkin, I would assume that you had some convoluted, but fascinating character development blueprint in mind, and I would anticipate the day when all was made clear. M&G...I dunno. Clark may not be the only doofus on the field of play.

Lustful Luthors...just the sound of it makes my toes curl and my skirt twirl. (:-)

Edited by stoutheartedmin, Apr 28, 2004 @ 3:00 PM.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 3:45 PM

As far as the WB is concerned, SMALLVILLE is a product. They make money according to how much that product can sell for. And they make more money with a product that gets 7 million viewers than one that get 4 and a half. Even if they've managed to keep most of their "key demographic", losing 2.5 million viewers of any age means they get paid less.

I think the WB is gonna step in. In fact, I'd be surprised if they haven't already. I'm sure they kept mostly hand-off when the show was so far ahead of all other shows on the WB, and they had no reason to fix what wasn't broken. But, as of right now, SMALLVILLE isn't doing all that much better than ANGEL or CHARMED.

Usually, I'm not in favor of networks telling shows what to do. That's what messed up ANGEL this season, in my opinion. But I also bet the network has been keeping track of viewer opinion, and might ask M&G to make changes accordingly. Which might mean less boringly repetative Clana, more Lex, more Superman mythos, etc.

Of course, I also think they were in favor of pushing Lana/KK so hard in the first place, so what do I know?

Edited by Bitterswete, Apr 28, 2004 @ 3:46 PM.

Owzers

Owzers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 4:19 PM

Why would you cast someone so ridiculously hot and then make his character such a complete doofus?

Word! At least in season 1, Clark was a loveable klutz because of Lana's necklace, and it gave him a reason to spaz out all the time, and was a source of great humor between Chloe and Pete. Now the necklace is gone, along with Clark's brain & ability to reason apparently, so there is no excuse for him being such an asshat. He's like an out-of-control pinball, pinging off of people, yelling - "You betrayed me!!" He's getting more whiney and self-righteous than Lana for cripes sake! I am so full of bitterness - I need a wheelbarrow to carry it!

Edited by Owzers, Apr 28, 2004 @ 4:21 PM.

queenbee3

queenbee3

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 4:34 PM

For real! Wordy Mcword!

I'm totally bitter about the Clark character right now. I think I don't like him at all.
He's way too much of an inconsiderate asshat and it's not getting much better.
I mean, remember when he was being a jerk to Chloe last season and she smacked him down with the whole, "I'm not your personal search engine." or whatever. So, you know.. learn your lesson, asshat. Stop treating Lex like your own personal problem solver.

I'm bitterly appauled by the way he treats his friends.

Edited by queenbee3, Apr 28, 2004 @ 4:36 PM.

sevenless

sevenless

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 5:32 PM

He's like an out-of-control pinball, pinging off of people, yelling - "You betrayed me!!"

He DOES say that alot, doesn't he? And everything else you've said is so right, Owzers. Like catpower2000, TW is the whole reason I started watching the show. And, unless his hair gets any shorter, I'll keep watching. But I can't help but be disappointed in his character's whininess. I do kinda like the idea of Clark being the hero baddie, while Lex is the misunderstood good guy. But if that's the direction they're taking things, I hope M&G at least write Clark some good lines. We already have La Nah. I don't want no stinkin' Le Clark.

Edited by sevenless, Apr 28, 2004 @ 5:34 PM.

mobiusklein

mobiusklein

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2004 @ 5:46 PM

Now that they've so thoroughly alienated a huge part of their audience, they're never ever going to get them back. People can try to blame it on American Idol, time/day change, sophmore slump all they want but I really wish they had stepped in and gotten back to the core stuff a lot earlier, kinda like the way a whole bunch of us were telling them to back in S2. Once people give up on a show, they usually latch on to something new & don't look back unless their friends tell them it's improved 1000%. Otherwise . . .

catpower2000

catpower2000

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2004 @ 8:26 AM

Now the necklace is gone, along with Clark's brain & ability to reason apparently, so there is no excuse for him being such an asshat. He's like an out-of-control pinball, pinging off of people, yelling - "You betrayed me!!" He's getting more whiney and self-righteous than Lana for cripes sake! I am so full of bitterness - I need a wheelbarrow to carry it!

A thousand times word, Owzers. Like last night's ep, perfect example. "Doop de doo, I'm the big dumb alien, loping along with all the information that Lex is searching for and will destroy himself for, and I'll never tell, ha ha, and...WAIT A MINUTE. LEX has the nerve to LIE to ME??? HOW DARE YOU, LEX?? HOW DARE YOU??"

*ring ring* "Hello pot? This is kettle. You're black."

Edited to add that I really did love last night's ep, loved TW's acting, and am feeling very little bitterness today. But that scene pissed me off.

Edited by catpower2000, Apr 29, 2004 @ 8:27 AM.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2004 @ 9:45 AM

Episodes like "Memoria" cause bitterness. Once you see an episode like this, you realize how good the show could be...if they weren't so obsessed with proving Lana is a "lead" in the same league as Lex (which she so clearly isn't) and pushing the relationship that never really was (Clana). The show could be so great if the PTB let it.

Jaded482

Jaded482

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2004 @ 11:23 AM

"Doop de doo, I'm the big dumb alien, loping along with all the information that Lex is searching for and will destroy himself for, and I'll never tell, ha ha, and...WAIT A MINUTE. LEX has the nerve to LIE to ME??? HOW DARE YOU, LEX?? HOW DARE YOU??"

Bwahahaha! And WORD to the nth degree. I want to like Clark, but they are making it Very Hard for me to do so. I think I might even hate him now.

Edited by Jaded482, Apr 29, 2004 @ 11:24 AM.

Owzers

Owzers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2004 @ 11:40 AM

I want to like Clark, but they are making it Very Hard for me to do so. I think I might even hate him now

I know! I drove my boyfriend crazy while watching "Memoria" because every time Clark came on, he'd do something asshatty, and I'd shriek at the TV - "You Asshole!!!" and punch the arm of the couch. At this rate, I'm gonna need a new couch, and I think I'll send the bill to M&G!

*Edited because my typing speed goes faster than my brain*

Edited by Owzers, Apr 29, 2004 @ 11:46 AM.

LexClark4ever

LexClark4ever

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2004 @ 12:10 PM

I know! I drove my boyfriend crazy while watching "Memoria" because every time Clark came on, he'd do something asshatty, and I'd shriek at the TV - "You Asshole!!!" and punch the arm of the couch. At this rate, I'm gonna need a new couch, and I think I'll send the bill to M&G!

I did almost the same exact thing while watching "Memoria", Owzers. While Clark was doing his asshatty behaviour, I was screaming "You f***ing idiot!" at the TV. At one point I threw my Clark action figure at the screen. Usually, the Lana action figure is the one that gets thrown around.

Owzers

Owzers

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2004 @ 12:20 PM

At one point I threw my Clark action figure at the screen

LexClark4ever - I'm going to have to buy a Clark action figure too if the writers keep portraying Clark as such a hypocritical shmuck, that way I can inflict punishment on it instead of my poor couch. I might smear his head with catfood and toss him on the floor for my cats to torture....oh yes, we wants him to suffer precioussssss.

LexClark4ever

LexClark4ever

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2004 @ 1:03 PM

Last night, my Clark action figure (as I already mentioned) got thrown at the screen and bounced off, scaring my cat who was sleeping on top of the digital box. My Clark figure usually spends most of the time cuddling/making out with the Lex figure. My Lana action figure has bounced off of the ceiling, TV set, and the closed window. That figure has been slightly therapeutic. Right now, my Lana figure is imprisoned inside that alien pod that was included with my Agent Scully figure from the X-Files movie.

CanSpy

CanSpy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2004 @ 2:32 PM

"Doop de doo, I'm the big dumb alien, loping along with all the information that Lex is searching for and will destroy himself for, and I'll never tell, ha ha, and...WAIT A MINUTE. LEX has the nerve to LIE to ME??? HOW DARE YOU, LEX?? HOW DARE YOU??"

I know that M&G have to, at some point, get with the canon and rip our boys apart, but you'd think they could do it without making Clark into Assy McAsshat. But, knock on wood, at least they haven't made it over La Nah. Then we would have to murder them and their immediate descendents.

So, ideas for the rift? Mine would be to move the show to HBO. The rest will take care of itself. ;)