Jimmy Kimmel Live

• Please log in to reply

1307 replies to this topic

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

So what did y'all (I'm presuming Jimmy Kimmel fans) think of his White House Correspondents Dinner gig?

http://www.youtube.c...p8&feature=plcp

When watching it, I thought he killed. I wss roaring with laughter. Yes, he was nervous, but he was very funny.

Then I go online and most of the media, particularly the Washington people who attended the event, say he bombed. Like he was a disaster.

So I watched it again, and noticed there were plenty of laughs. Not every joke was a hit, of course. But there were laugs and, of course, groans (this is a roast after all).

Then I went on Twitter, and noticed that Garry Shandling, Joel McHale, Damon Lindelof (Lost creator) and Zach Braff were saying he killed.

Then I went to YouTube, read most of the comments, which were 75-80% positive. But they were viewing it as Kimmel "owning" the president, like it was some kind of agenda, instead of a roast.

Edited by nowandlater, Apr 29, 2012 @ 5:10 PM.

MHCBadDude

MHCBadDude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

I thought it was funny. I think saying he bombed is extreme.

The groans or silence come when a joke isn't PC. He stayed within himself and did well.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

I thought he (and President Obama) did a great job.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

"Most of the media" said Colbert bombed when he spoke at that dinner a few years ago, and his speech became legendary.

I thought Jimmy did a great job, though it was very weird to see him do an entire set of political humor without cutting to a wacky YouTube clip or a mention of "Dancing with the Stars" or something, since jokes about politics are definitely not the main topic of his show monologues. Would love to know who wrote Obama's remarks -- I wonder if JK's writers helped out at all.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

A couple of his jokes bombed, but he was quick to say Jake Taper wrote those. He was very shiny/sweaty looking. It seemed to me Jimmy had lost weight and gained tan, but he looked puffy and pale at the WHCD. I thought he was very funny.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

A couple of his jokes bombed, but he was quick to say Jake Taper wrote those

Jake Tapper did actually help Jimmy out.
http://news.yahoo.co...-100831114.html

I wonder if JK's writers helped out at all.

Obama has used Jon Stewart's writers in previous years. I wonder if he used them again this year.

Ktwo

Ktwo

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Jon Stewart gave a shout-out to Jimmy at the end of last night's Daily Show and said he did a fantastic job at what is a really tough gig.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:16 AM

I still love the Kimmel show, but lately, I've been DVRing it to watch the next day while I go to sleep to other DVRd recordings.

But I have a few annoyances:

1) The commercials before each episode. I read somewhere that every minute past midnight, more and more people are going to sleep. So why does JKL begin at 12:06 instead of midnight on the dot? Imagine if other shows began at 6 minutes pas their scheduled start time? Those 6 minutes are excruciating. I bet Kimmel would have more viewers if he started at midnight.

2) I'm tired of the superheroes. I mean they're great and all every once in a while, but Kimmel's writers have become too dependent on them over the years. Just like he was with Guillermo (I think there's been less Guillermo recently).

3) The man on the street interviews. Again, it's great every once in while. But it seems like he does frequently. Can't he shake things up a bit.

What I liked about the Kimmel monologue is that it, more than any other late-night show, really made fun of what was going on in the world. It targeted pop culture and politics better than anybody else. But he seems to have downplayed that in recent weeks.

AVorlon

AVorlon

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:18 AM

I'm a little unclear about the starting time for the show. I just watched it tonight, and it started at midnight without any commercials that delayed it to 12:06. Could this be a local thing?

Edited by AVorlon, May 9, 2012 @ 3:22 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:00 AM

It depends on your local news. Mine goes until 11:35, then Nightline runs until 12:05, then Kimmel.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

2) I'm tired of the superheroes. I mean they're great and all every once in a while, but Kimmel's writers have become too dependent on them over the years. Just like he was with Guillermo (I think there's been less Guillermo recently).

I’m also tired of the superheroes; I never thought they were great. Corny filler.

Jimmy always talks about DWTS on Monday/Tuesday and shows clips during his monologue. But last night two couples were eliminated (Melissa/Max, Roshon/Chelsie) but they weren’t on Kimmel for the usual shoe-burning and he didn’t mention DWTS at all. Odd.

Edited by isotonerz, May 9, 2012 @ 9:09 AM.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 1:29 PM

I'm a little unclear about the starting time for the show. I just watched it tonight, and it started at midnight without any commercials that delayed it to 12:06. Could this be a local thing?

There was an article in the NY Times last year about how Kimmel was moving his show up 6 minutes to start at midnight on the dot (instead of 12:06).

http://mediadecoder....midnight-boost/

When it started at 12:06, the actual show wouldn't start until 12:10 or 12:09.

With the midnight start time, it can be anywhere from 12:02 to 12:06. Usually, it's like 12:05.

But maybe they didn't have sponsors for that opening commercial slot.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 1:20 PM

This is good:
http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

Thanks, nowandlater, that was fun to watch. What is it, though? Did it ever air on TV?

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

Oh no he didn't !

He's engaged and popped the question to head write Molly McNearney during a recent vacation they shared in South Africa.

SummerSands

SummerSands

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 17, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

I think he's got the best late night show going right now. And I'm glad he's finally getting some hosting gigs. Too bad Jimmy can't slide into Jay's big ass seat over there on the iconic show that has sucked ass for the last 20 years. He's still young enough to go another 20...

bparhad

bparhad

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

Well, he's not taking over for Leno, but it's still a good move - Jimmy's moving to 11:35 pm EST starting in January. I like him better than both Leno and Letterman, so I hope he gets some great ratings at the earlier time. It shows ABC has a lot of confidence in him as well.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

That is really good news. I wonder if the recent cutbacks at "The Tonight Show" had anything to do with it? ABC might have figured it was a good time to pull the trigger on something they have no doubt been considering for quite a while.

kib

kib

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

Mixed emotions. Kimmel is doing the smartest work in late night right now, very sharp, very subversive. Hope the suits don't compromise that. It screws up my routine, Conan followed by Kimmel with Dave on the DVR. 'fraid Conan and Colbert may take the biggest hit with the rescheduling. Leno fans won't jump (particularly after Jimmy handed Jay his ass during Late Night Wars 2.0) Dave may get hurt some since there's a lot of "Late Night" DNA in Kimmel's program. Looking a few years down the road, Ferguson might be the one who will have the biggest challenge with this.

Congrats JKL folks.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

Awesome... he seems to finally be breaking through. I fall asleep so early that I dvr every night, so the earlier time won't make much difference to me. But maybe he can get a few viewers away from the others.

For the life of me, I can't get Jimmy Fallon. Am I alone? He can't interview worth shit.

Arnold Robinson

Arnold Robinson

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

I DVR the show, so it doesn't matter if it's on at 11:30 (well, 10:30 since we in the Mountain time zone have earlier bed times or something) or 3AM.

In any case, Jimmy is far and a way my favorite late night guy at the moment. Ferguson used to have that spot, but his predictable rants are getting a little old. Ferguson, however, still does the most interesting interviews of the bunch. Jay and Dave both leave me cold anymore. I liked Conan, but I don't have cable, so he's out.

ETA: I forgot Fallon. Which is kind of the problem, he's never made much of an impression on me, except for the "thank you notes" bit which is modestly funny.

Edited by Arnold Robinson, Aug 21, 2012 @ 8:28 PM.

Brownstone

Brownstone

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

Britney Spears on Kimmel last night? Didn't say much and smiled...often. She was pretty good, for someone who needed to keep a grip on things.

Whether she could have done it without Cowell I don't know but I'm happy she looked healthy.
She was fiddling with a ring of some kind (I think it was)? A lot!

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

I tuned in and thought she looked better than on the X factor. Her look on Kimmel seemed a little more polished.

I do sense she is nervous, unsure and I think with some time her comfort factor will settle in and that I believe is quite normal. I wish Jimmy would have asked also about that guy who knew her and did some studio work with her earlier in her career who had that terrible audition in addition to the middle age guy that she got her final word in with that character. But they had to move on to the game segment.

raiderred

raiderred

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

I watched those two last night and Britney said almost nothing and she WAS fiddling with that ring, A LOT! Simon, please stop with the face work it looks terrible! His eyes are starting to disappear. It looks like he has had a chin implant and cheek implants. It's just too much.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

Poor Jimmy, he arrives in NYC with quite a storm at his heels.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

Jimmy just tweeted that tonight's show from Brooklyn has been canceled. What a disappointment for JK & everyone who works on the show, as well as for the fans! Not sure how he'll be able to reschedule -- I'm sure so much advance planning has gone into this week.

Edited to add that he has tweeted that there WILL be a new show airing tonight.

Edited by loudfan, Oct 30, 2012 @ 4:09 PM.

AVorlon

AVorlon

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 5:32 AM

There are so many questions that I would love to ask Dave, what with all his experience over three decades. Instead, Jimmy seemed to be determined to prove what a fan-boy he was, and kept persisting to ask Dave to do stuff with him. Come over to my house! Letís take a break while we discuss our relationship!

Maybe Jimmy thought that was funny, but I donít think that did anything but make Letterman uncomfortable.

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

I was yelling at Jimmy to dial it back a bit....and I love that Dave got in a few great lines...something tells me Jimmy will watch this a few weeks later and realize how over the top he was...

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

There are so many questions that I would love to ask Dave, what with all his experience over three decades. Instead, Jimmy seemed to be determined to prove what a fan-boy he was, and kept persisting to ask Dave to do stuff with him. Come over to my house! Letís take a break while we discuss our relationship!

Maybe Jimmy thought that was funny, but I donít think that did anything but make Letterman uncomfortable.

As I noted in the Letterman thread, Dave was always going to be uncomfortable and awkward on somebody else's couch.

He hates these things, with a passion.

That's why he never does interviews. (Or rarely does interviews.)

I think Kimmel was playing off that awkwardness.

If Kimmel tried to delve into Letterman's 30-year history, I think he would've gotten canned responses -- just like Leno did on Tuesday when he visited Craig Ferguson.

Dave is not going to be introspective.

I don't think Kimmel pressing to be his close pal was rude.

I'm pretty sure Letterman knew Kimmel was joking. Because if Kimmel is such a fan boy, he knows Letterman doesn't hang out with people. So Kimmel made a gag about that.

lordonia

lordonia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 1, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

I thought it was an amusing interview, specifically because Letterman is always so guarded and uncomfortable in the guest seat. I liked that Jimmy kept pushing it. But then, I also enjoyed his Emmy hosting gig and he kinda got slammed for that so I guess I just find him to be funny in general.

It was generous of Letterman to welcome Jimmy to the 11:30 time slot.

I wish Jimmy would grow up and act civil towards Leno now. Slagging off another host like that just makes Jimmy look bad, IMO.

I always like when Jimmy goes to the barber shop in L.A., and this place was just as good.

Edited by lordonia, Nov 2, 2012 @ 1:41 PM.