Jimmy Kimmel Live

• Please log in to reply

1307 replies to this topic

Miss Quail

Miss Quail

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2004 @ 12:07 AM

Skategrrl: yes, all week Jimmy has been grousing about the FCC keeping a watchful eye on them, to make sure they don't expose any more nipples. That's why they've been showing their own absolutely hilarious arbitrary bleeping bits (I can't remember the name of the bit), where they take actual news and interview footage and stick in bleeps and blurrings at innocuous moments. It makes your imagination run wild and in turn the footage seems completely filthy.

My favorite moment was when they showed Rumsfeld taking the oath before his testimony. They blurred out his hand so it looked like he was giving the panel the finger.

I hated Jimmy's show when it first started, it was just awful and sophomoric, but damn it's a funny show now. He's a refreshing change from the celebrity-publicist-fueled ass-kissing that goes on on the other shows.

Edited by Miss Quail, May 10, 2004 @ 12:08 AM.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2004 @ 12:26 PM

I've noticed at the beginning of the show, a small disclaimer in the upper left hand corner of screen says "recorded earlier tonight". I take it Kimmel is no longer "live"?

I'm also assuming it has something to do with Janet Jackson Fallout . Anyone know the answer?

Yup, Kimmel is no longer live, as the show admitted after last week's Advil overdose.

They tape an hour early, at 8 PT, because of Miss Janet. You'll notice that it's still somewhat daylight outside when the show begins.

davidmello

davidmello

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2004 @ 1:47 PM

And they still call it "Jimmy Kimmel Live", yet tape it because they're afraid a nipple or a four-letter word shows up?
Makes you wonder if ABC will be keeping this show, if this is the kind of support
it gets

sixesses

sixesses

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 1:59 AM

I watched some of the show tonight because I saw Jamie Gertz while I was flipping channels. I've always avoided it because it replaced Politically Incorrrect here, and the rerun of Oprah comes on before it. So far, I like it better than Conan or Kilbourn.

Snickelfritz

Snickelfritz

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2004 @ 8:27 PM

queasy

his "unnecessary censorship" bit is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV.

HUGE word on that, last Friday I was laughing to the point of tears.

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2004 @ 9:01 AM

I thought the Bingo concept was quite good, very Lettermanesque. And I roared over Jimmy winning the first game.

The Ryan Seacrest interview was funny, too...the Brawny model was a riot.

davidmello

davidmello

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2004 @ 2:13 PM

I never understood why ABC calls the show "Jimmy Kimmel Live", yet it's taped at one hour delay...
but after reading what Kimmel said during the ABC upfront, I'm starting to wonder if he'll even have a show. He really mocked his bosses, according to Zap2It. the story is here, although I hope he only said that to ease the tension.
I like his show. His style is more "everyman", and I'd rather see him there than at Comedy Central.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2004 @ 5:01 PM

Yeah, I always wonder why they call it "Saturday Night Live," when it's on tape for half the country.

But seriously, it makes no sense to change the name at this point. All the good names are taken (Late Night, Late Show.) Besides, Kimmel is almost, sorta, kinda live. Or at least he's still fresh, with the ability to mock the latest news or what just happened in primetime. On the other hand, there's a 10-hour difference between when Conan is taped and when I get to see it.

As for the mockery, I wouldn't make a big deal of it. I think basically it's Kimmel's job to ridicule the network. Every year, NBC trots out Conan O'Brien to mock NBC. ("NBC: At Least We're Not ABC," he said last week.)

At ABC, there's absolute positivity about the network's prospects. And each year they have to face the cynical advertisers. You need someone to bridge that gap. That's where Kimmel comes in. His mockery is an indirect way of saying that ABC isn't deluded -- they know they have problems.

davidmello

davidmello

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2004 @ 11:12 PM

Well, maybe you're right. I'm just a little surprised by how much he got away with. All I know is I hope to get into his show again if I have a chance to do that again.

tinasdad

tinasdad

Posted May 24, 2004 @ 12:25 AM

Wait, so Kimmel isn't live in the East? Then why not call it "The Jimmy Kimmel Show"? At least SNL is actually live in the Eastern and Central time zones.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2004 @ 1:19 AM

Re: Kimmel's comments:

I don't know if I'm right about whether it was all pre-planned, but in the next-day stories about ABC's upfront presentation, TV critics who were there only quoted Kimmel on his innocuous comments without ever mentioning the really harsh mockery. It didn't emerge until days later, by an LA Weekly reporter who wasn't there, that Kimmel was mean-spirited.

So I figure that the critics knew it was all shtick, because they witness it the three times a year they attend network press conferences.

Also, I think they're not changing the "Live" part because they figure the delay is only temporary. They're waiting until Janet Jackson blows over. (During the Iraq war, they were on a 15-minute delay because of an extended Nightline each night.)

But I have to admit that it looks really weird when Jimmy enters his studio in pure daylight.

sunkist

sunkist

Channel Surfer

Posted May 27, 2004 @ 10:38 AM

I live in Michigan (EST) and we don't see Kimmel "Live" either. I am not sure that the show is broadcast live anywhere anymore.
Also, I know that post-booby, the show went on a delay, but it was still being shown in nearly real-time.

Tabinet

Tabinet

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2004 @ 1:00 PM

The show only recently became not so live. And as someone else mentioned, this is only a temporary thing from the FCC, not permanent. The fact that it is so close to live really sets it apart from the other late night shows. It's great to tune in & see Jimmy using clips from reality shows or whatever that have just ended a couple hours ago. Very fresh.

Not that I don't love Dave & Conan [because I do], but I've been gradually developing my love for Jimmy Kimmel Live, too. It causes me to be shunned by others, but I do think it's a very good show [in spite of having generally bad guests].

ShadowDenizen

ShadowDenizen

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2004 @ 3:05 PM

This show is definitely growing on me: I think JK is definitely coming into his own. He dropped the "Co-Host" shtick, thankfully, and is beginning to ge some decent guests. (The interview with Kathy Griffin, in particular, was amazing! And the "Down-Low" references from her? Priceless.)

Now, if he would just cut the bullshit with his family, I'd be happy. (I really don't give a shit about Cousin Sal, Uncle Frank, or any of the rest of the family.)

Tabinet

Tabinet

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2004 @ 3:12 PM

I'm not a big fan of Cousin Sal...but not because he's Jimmy's cousin...just because I don't really find him to be all that funny. Sometimes he makes me cringe when I watch his segments. But he's not horrible. I find Uncle Frank to be very cute. I don't really like a lot of the sidekick type characters on shows [people on Conan excluded, of course].

I think the show has steadily gotten better & better. It reminds me of me & my best friend's vision of our late night show. With lots of random games & non-gimmicky gimmicks. I loved the crowd playing Bingo & I love Touch the Head. The show has features that are almost like a inside jokes for regular viewers & I appreciate that. I think this show is taking some risks & reminds me of what I remember of Letterman's old show sometimes.

bugger

bugger

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2004 @ 7:43 PM

Last night's bit, about asking the people standing in line to name as many anti-depressants as they could, was great.

ETA you're right, it was on Kilbourn. Never Mind! Kimmel comes on later here. I must have watched Kilbourn after Letterman instead of the Oprah rerun that comes on before Kimmel. Excuse me.

Edited by bugger, May 27, 2004 @ 9:51 PM.

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2004 @ 9:33 PM

Last night's bit, about asking the people standing in line to name as many anti-depressants as they could, was great.

I'm confused...wasn't that on Kilborn's show?

(Yes, I channel flip frequently between Kilborn, Conan and Kimmel.)

bugger

bugger

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2004 @ 7:45 AM

This week in unneccessary censorship was great, especially the part with Alex Trebeck. Alanis Morissette frenching Barry Manilow's picture was good, but I thought it was Rod Stewart at first.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 2:20 AM

OK, why was Jimmy Kimmel not on tonight?! He was scheduled for a new show.

I hope ABC didn't punish him for this.

ETA: Oops -- I meant why is tonight's show a repeat? .... And I think I might have the answer. Must've been the late-starting basketball game.

Edited by nowandlater, Jun 10, 2004 @ 3:11 AM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 2:23 AM

He is on, on my tv. I have no idea if its new or not because I don't ever watch it but the show is on.

eta; its not new.

Edited by biakbiak, Jun 10, 2004 @ 2:27 AM.

davidmello

davidmello

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 3:30 AM

to nowandlater...

it looks like Jimmy's mouth has gotten him into trouble after all, since Wednesday's show was a repeat. If it's true the Detroit station's GM will not accept any apology from him, even if he'll deliver one Thursday, this may be bad news for the show.

ETA...I just checked the ABC message boards..most of the discussion was between Laker and Detriot fans on who's going to win, rather than what Kimmel said. WXYZ had a story about people being upset over his remarks. I wonder if Kimmel's comments may actually inspire Detroit to sweep the Lakers in the next three games. Thursday's going to be very interesting

Edited by davidmello, Jun 10, 2004 @ 3:49 AM.

briangrapes

briangrapes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 8:44 AM

They were just talking about it on Howard Stern. Howard says he wouldn't be surprised if the network uses this suspension as an excuse to cancel the show. Just an opinion, I guess.

Tabinet

Tabinet

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 10:02 AM

This is insane. I mean, maybe the joke wasn't funny, but I don't think he deserves to be punished or even cancelled for this. I've heard many, many comedians make similar remarks about Detroit or Buffalo [there was even a play here in Toronto called the Fires of Tonawanda] & they aren't punished for it, are they? And they won't accept his apology? What are they - 5 years old? If they have such a problem why don't they just take him off their affiliate in Detroit?

That Parcells [sp?] said much more offensive things & he still has his job, right? That's very sad.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 10:28 AM

Correcting myself, there was no basketball game last night to bump Kimmel.

bawanaal

bawanaal

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 11:31 AM

I've been a lurker on the TVWP boards for a while, but I'm going to throw in my 2 cents. There is more to the story than just the comments Kimmel made at halftime of game 2. The 6 and 11 ABC affiliate sports anchor was just on a local talk show here in Detroit. The word is that Kimmel did apologize on his show last night, basically saying that there they weren't angels in L.A. either, and he would turn over and burn his car over if the Lakers won. But he then went further. He took his entire 7 minute opening monolouge and proceeded to rip the residents and city of Detroit about anything and everything. We don't have the details of what exactly was said, but it was enough to have the ABC big wigs pull the show. It doesn't help that the Detroit affiliate was going to pull his show anyway over the original comments. They were EXTREMELY unhappy. It's not a good idea to tick off a top 10 media market.

sunkist

sunkist

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 1:07 PM

Get over it Detroit.

I go to school in Lansing, but I am not orginally from this area. Since I moved to this state, the general vibe that I have heard about Detroit is that it is not a safe place to go by yourself, etc.

Also, it doesn't really help that the city had huge riots years ago and never rebuilt in those areas. Surely, Detroit wants to promote a better image, but I don't think that this show should be sacrificed to the television gods.

It's comedy. Move on!

Edited by sunkist, Jun 10, 2004 @ 4:00 PM.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 3:36 PM

OK, here's an actual news story:

The talk-show host apologized on Wednesday, but the Detroit ABC affiliate, WXYZ-TV, decided not to broadcast Kimmel's regular show later that night after learning he would make more remarks about the city in the broadcast. The network followed suit.

"We made the decision that we felt was in the best interest of the show," according to a statement from ABC. Network executives were at the annual affiliates meeting in Anaheim, Calif. A spokeswoman for the network wouldn't elaborate beyond the statement.

WXYZ showed a broadcast of "The Wayne Brady Show," but other ABC stations apparently aired a rerun of Kimmel's show.

Through a spokesman, Kimmel issued a statement, saying: "When you're 2,000 miles away from a city you've never lived in, it's hard to understand the sadness people feel from something that happened in their town -- even if it happened many years ago. It was never my intention to cause anyone pain. I was trying to make a joke and I'm sorry it resulted in anything other than laughter."

ETA: Doesn't Conan O'Brien make fun of whole states, countries and cities with the worst stereotypes imaginable? (Like the state quarters sketches?) Why doesn't he have to ever apologize?

Edited by nowandlater, Jun 10, 2004 @ 3:42 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 3:48 PM

Because unlike with Jimmy people actually laugh at Conan's jokes.

nowandlater

nowandlater

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 5:19 PM

But ... people do laugh at Kimmel's jokes, which are of the same quality as Conan's. (Yeah, I know, surprising isn't it?)

Anyways, here is the latest news:

``Jimmy Kimmel Live'' remained alive Thursday. The late-night show was pulled Wednesday night first by WXYZ-TV (Channel 7) then by the whole ABC network for anti-Detroit wisecracks by the host. But it was reinstated by both the station and the network Thursday following the snarky host's latest apology and assurances his continued joking about post-sports-victory violence here would cease. (it returns post-12:05 a.m. Friday after hoops but even not at all if there's a mega OT, hence the conditional language)

The Scripps-Howard owned Detroit affiliate emerged with an alloyed civic defender image and could crow about muscling a daily network show from the nation's view on literally a moment's notice for local content reasons.

Edited by nowandlater, Jun 10, 2004 @ 5:23 PM.

Jeebus Shuttlesworth

Jeebus Shuttlesworth

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2004 @ 5:23 PM

Dang, I don't like Kimmel and I'm rooting for the Pistons, but get a life, Detroit. It's almost the American way nowadays to celebrate winning a championship by burning the city down. I guess it hit a little close to home for those folks. One time, I joked to my friend who's lived all her life in Michigan that I wanted to move to Detroit, and she immediately started shaking her head, "No, no, you don't ever wanna live there."