Jimmy Kimmel Live

• Please log in to reply

1307 replies to this topic

DoctorNeon

DoctorNeon

Posted Jan 16, 2004 @ 5:36 PM

With the SuperBowl coming up, it will soon be a year since Jimmy Kimmel Live debuted.

The question is: Is anybody watching? I faithfully watched for months, even listened on the ABC simulcast on the drive home from work (all two blocks of it), I saw Ralphie May fall down the stairs, I saw Cousin Sal spraypaint a guest host's car. And then, I got my medication adjusted. Wow, what was I thinking? My TvGuide says it's all new tonight, I may peek in but anymore it's like Kryptonite to me. How does this stay on the air? A pact with Satan? I just don't get it.

lemondust

lemondust

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 2:30 PM

``I have a lot more compassion now for people doing their first show,'' says
Kimmel, just before the first anniversary of his show.

``The reality is you have to make a thousand decisions in, like, a two-month
span of time. And, you know, you're going to make a hundred of those decisions
wrong.''

``Every night, I pray for better guests,'' says Kimmel, only half-jokingly.
``Some nights, it goes all right but some nights it doesn't.

``What I have learned,'' he adds, ``is that when the guests leave angry, they
don't come back. And their publicists don't bring any of their other clients
back either.''

As for the departure of Kellison -- who worked with the comedian on ``The Man
Show'' and is still his partner on Comedy Central's ``Crank Yankers'' -- Kimmel
says that ``when you're getting a show on the air, you have to beat a lot of
people over the head. Daniel did all the beating over the head and everybody
remembered it.''

http://www.pe.com/en...bit21.ec3c.html

The link is subscription only... I couldn't find another link on the web for it.

ree97

ree97

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 12:20 PM

I like the show and have a season pass for it on my tivo. I don't always watch the guests, but I do like the opening bits and the skits.

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 3:24 AM

I think it's alright. The opening monologue has become sort of an appointment for me, and I think he's already much better than Craig and is pretty much even with Carson. The jokes are right on; I think he and Dave got the same joke about Howard Dean's exploding head the same night, so he's running with the right crowd. He needs better guests, of course, but remember, Conan had no guests of import his first two years and he sucked big fat nut back then.

Did anyone catch last week's episode where they did a remote at the Neverland Ranch where all those nutjobs were going to stage a rally for Michael before his arraignment? They gave the mic to one protestor who defended his name by saying, "He's given so much to this world ... and if he wants to sleep with Latin kids, let him!" A lady took the microphone away from him and a guy grabbed a poster and put it right in front of him. I gasped and laughed my ass off for a good minute. Ah, the joys of live television.

gemini_girl

gemini_girl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2004 @ 3:50 PM

I watched last night for only the fifth time ever(he cuts into my Conan time people). I've only seen the premiere and I just realized 3 other times all had American Idol people on it, what the hell? Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, and to watch Jimmy rip Ryan Seacrest a new one. Last night I only watched because Adam Brody was on.

I had forgotten how funny the opening of this show is. I sat there gasping for air during the crazy Michael Jackson supporter montage. That guy is off his rocker or just a camerawhore. And that Turkey/Poland lady with all that long chin hair, ew.

Oh and, Denzel.Washington's.finger. Wtf? That was hilarious and slightly disturbing.

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2004 @ 4:23 AM

I liked Tuesday's episode with what seems to be two "games" JK has on his show. He did "Who Do You Like Better?" (which I haven't seen before) with Simon Cowell; Jimmy held up two photos of two people and asks who he likes better. They were inspired: Ruben or Clay? (Ruben, because he was selling more records, which is incorrect.) Elton John or Sting? (Sir Elton "100%, because he doesn't take himself so seriously." Are you sure you don't have them mixed up?) Prince Charles or Prince? ("I have to go to the one that has a career so ... Prince Charles.")

After Nicole Ritchie did her interview (and she and Simon went at it; she told him to his face that he wouldn't criticize anyone sitting next to him) Jimmy brought out, for what I think is only the second time, the Mystery Box. Fun little idea where the guests take turns answering yes-or-no questions and guessing what's in the box. (It turned out to be sea monkeys.) One of Simon's questions: "Can I use it to poison a person seated next to me?"

I think Kimmel has stumbled on a trick to make his show better: Find a simple, easy-to-understand concept and have fun with it. It seems harder and harder to do that, but I think he's found it with these two games. Oh yeah, these two and "Touch The Head."

Edited by Senor Audacity, Feb 20, 2004 @ 4:34 AM.

josieb

josieb

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2004 @ 8:55 PM

Add me to the (evidently) short list of those who like this show. I especially liked Warren Sapp as the guest host. The segment where Sapp was dressed as Star Jones and superimposed on the View segment with Naomi Watts still has me giggling.

Gwynevere1

Gwynevere1

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2004 @ 10:12 PM

Has anyone heard anything about this show having SAG-related problems? I read this on a livejournal, so I realize that the info is not the most reliable, but that would explain why a few guests who were supposed to be on--and who I wanted to see--had to cancel. Anyone?

Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2004 @ 3:39 PM

Does anyone know why they weren't allowed to show any clips from the Academy Awards on the show?

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2004 @ 3:01 PM

Bump.

JKL has gotten funnier and sharper lately, and it has become a more-than-decent altertnative to Jay and Dave. I like his visual gags a lot:

- Kimmel said one of his writers boasted he has a great impression of Al Michaels (I think this was two weeks ago). He said Michaels's famous line from the Miracle On Ice: "Do you believe in miracles? Yes" in a flat monotone which sounded nothing like him. Then Linda Cardellini, star of ER and Scooby-Doo 2 came out and Kimmel said that the same writer does a great impression of her. And so he comes back out, wearing an orange turtleneck like Velma, and did his impression of her: "Velma, do you believe in miracles? Jinky!" LMAO. But I guess you had to be there to appreciate it.

- The fake photos on those copious black construction papers he holds up all the time are getting much better, too. I remember Kimmel talking about a Kenyan winning yet another marathon and he started going through all the races Kenyans have captured. The funniest one was a picture of a Kenyan taking the checkered flag at the Daytona 500.

- Also, there was a funny fake one from the rerun Monday, I think. It was the day after the Oscars and they couldn't show footage of the event (and BTW, I don't know why). But they had a police sketch artist draw some of the highlights, and the best one was a picture of Jesus and Seabiscuit presenting an award.

- He's even getting the band in on the action. Jimmy touched on this report about anger management and said that Cleto and the Asian member of his band were fighting. Jimmy asked if they were cool now. Cleto said yes, but the camera panned to the keyboardist wearing a smashed guitar around his neck. Old gag, but it worked.

I don't know if there are any detractors, but this has gotten to be a good talk show within a span of a year. Conan needed at least two years to find his footing.

By the way, did anyone catch last week's show where they all were lying down like they were asleep or dead? It was a bumper teasing Tesla in the next segment. What was the deal with that?

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2004 @ 8:41 PM

I must admit -- and I am a die hard Dave fan -- if Letterman's first guest sucks, I flip to Jimmy. Kimmel's opening remarks are quite humorous.

Of course, the fact Jimmy openly mocks Leno adds to my Dave / Jimmy Love Fest.

Aunt Shelley

Aunt Shelley

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2004 @ 12:46 PM

And don't forget his close friendship with the girls of The View.

ShadowDenizen

ShadowDenizen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2004 @ 3:36 PM

Yeah, he does seem to have had a case of "Conan Syndrome", where it took him ahwhile to find his stride, but he seems to be getting it now.

I usually watch the opening few minutes, anyway: I find his opening bits pretty funny, since he's so very much like a TWOP'er in many respects. (Though I do think he could stand to cut back considerably on the Cousin Sal/Uncle Frank stuff.)

I like his willingness to comment on (ie be snide, snarky and downright obnoxious about) pop-culture. He had a few hysterical bits awhile back about Forever-Eden and Playing it Straight. And only on JK can Kermit-the-Frog be downright raunchy!

I usually tune out when he brings the guests on, though, 'cause that's when he becmoes an obseqious asshat. (Witness when he had Clay Aiken on.)

Edited by ShadowDenizen, Apr 9, 2004 @ 3:37 PM.

Ty

Ty

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2004 @ 12:34 AM

So have they completely gotten rid of the guest co-hosts? That was one of the best parts of the show imo.

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2004 @ 3:06 PM

Was it my imagination, or did Uncle Frank get bleeped by the censors last night?

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2004 @ 4:43 AM

I don't know for sure, but it looks like they got rid of the co-hosts. To work you needed better guests than Zach Galifianakis and Kathy Griffin, and they could only get the star power of Snoop Dogg and Enrique Iglesias sporadically. Noble try, and maybe they can revive it if Snoop's ready to rock the couch for another week.

What did y'all think of the Quentin Tarantino-directed episode tonight? I totally forgot it and missed the first 20 minutes getting home from work. It appeared like the vast majority, if not the entire show was scripted. Certainly was ... different from what I usually see from a talk show, and bad acting and mangling of "Carl" Ripken, Jr.'s name aside, I wouldn't mind seeing him do it again, if nothing else just to see as graphic a sight as I've ever seen on free TV: Jimmy's face after getting his ass kicked by Steven Wright, of all people.

Edited by Senor Audacity, Apr 21, 2004 @ 4:48 AM.

raspberrytea

raspberrytea

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2004 @ 10:36 AM

I found it very fun to watch especially for a show on after midnight. One of my favorite parts was when the entire auidence pulled out a gun. I think that jimmy Kimmel really doesn't mind going for the joke. Whether it was halloween or looking that you just got the crap kicked out of you for the whole show. i also Liked the swinging in the air Uncle Frank. I also liked the very ending when everyone in the suido laid dead and the only thing auidable was QT's laughing. He ruined it with the pimping of his movie though.

zookeeny

zookeeny

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2004 @ 12:42 PM

I didn't see last night's episode (had to get up this morning for a meeting), but I will weigh in on the co-host. I don't miss the co-host at all. Jimmy's fine (and very funny) talking straight to the audience at the beginning of the show. There are times when that's the best thing I've seen on TV that night.

MattIowa1

MattIowa1

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 22, 2004 @ 11:50 PM

Ass-O-Rama (Omarosa for the Apprentice impaired) was supposed to be on the show tonight, but walked out after she saw the lie detector that was going to be used on Uncle Frank. According to the show's producers, she would not do the show as long as a lie detector was there. She, her mommy and her publicist all high-tailed it out of there, during the show.

I guess the fact that the audience booed her when her name was announced didn't help matters either.

The Chickie

The Chickie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2004 @ 1:50 AM

Gosh that was HILARIOUS. At first I thought it was some bit until the producer came out. Wow.

ShadowDenizen

ShadowDenizen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2004 @ 8:30 AM

Heh.
That was awesome!
And when the audience booed? Hee.
Man, as if Assorama needed more image problems! I also thought it was a gag, especially when they were talking about her being afraid of the lie detector!

And Camryn Manheim? Seemed pretty cool about the whole thing, even getting in a few digs a Assorama's expense.

Edited by ShadowDenizen, Apr 23, 2004 @ 8:40 AM.

mrtv

mrtv

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2004 @ 9:12 AM

We should e-mail the Kimmel show. Jimmy should offer Assorama 250 000 to take the lie detector. Think of the free publicity

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2004 @ 11:54 PM

Okay, I don't even like Jimmy that much, but his "unnecessary censorship" bit is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV. Or maybe my mind is just filthier than most.

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2004 @ 4:25 AM

Guests are getting better, jokes have been kind of flat recently, but I love the recurring gag promoting "Who Will Win Barbara Walter's Baby?" It looks like the five couples have to run The Amazing Race to adopt the teenager's shorty. He's doing a great job convincing people this "special" actually is a reality show competition. In fact, I think it is!

zookeeny

zookeeny

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2004 @ 12:48 PM

Loved "Pat the Head" last night.

LadyJaney

LadyJaney

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2004 @ 7:04 PM

So I fell asleep last night near the beginning of the show. Did "Baby Merle" the parakeet get a home with someone? Hope so.

Senor Audacity

Senor Audacity

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 4:09 AM

LadyJaney, I flipped to the middle of the announcement, but they awarded Merle to this hella strange couple with matching country denim shirts (with those curlicues on them). Dickie presented the good-looking other couple with the consolation prize: a bucket from Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Lindsay Lohan was on tonight. Not a bad interview, but am I the only one who kept looking at her enormous rack and noticed the many times she pulled up her tank top to avoid falling out of it? For anyone who saw her on Saturday Night Live and was burning up the show's thread talking about her appearance in the Harry Potter sketch, this is either a welcome sequel, a trigger of uneasy thoughts or, in my case, both. And for those that did not see the show and/or talk about it on TWoP, the fact that her breasts kept bouncing every time she giggled at something JK said surely would've done the trick.

Seems like he's still getting aced out of primo guests plugging their movies, so they decided on the next best thing: getting those guests the week after their movie opens. Kind of like interviewing a "pre-owned" guest.

Do they not use the outdoor stage anymore? I think Kinky (they have a great dance song, "Mas," that was featured in a Nissan commercial, an episode of Alias and the miniseries Kingpin) is big enough to justify its use.

trainman

trainman

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 12:19 PM

Do they not use the outdoor stage anymore? I think Kinky (they have a great dance song, "Mas," that was featured in a Nissan commercial, an episode of Alias and the miniseries Kingpin) is big enough to justify its use.

I would think the outdoor stage is a lot of trouble (and/or a lot of money) for ABC, the producers, the LAPD, and people trying to drive through Hollywood, since it requires closing down a block of Hollywood Boulevard all evening.

mcree

mcree

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2004 @ 6:39 PM

am I the only one who kept looking at her enormous rack and noticed the many times she pulled up her tank top to avoid falling out of it?

Nope.

According to the listings, she was also scheduled to be on Last Call with Carson Daly -- which apparently no one around here cares enough to talk about -- but in some kind of switch, that actually played the night before. Which makes more sense: how could she be on both shows on the same day? (Although I guess they will tape Last Call ahead of time.) She was also on Ellen today (haven't seen it), but that looks like the end of the promo run for Mean Girls.

Skategrrl

Skategrrl

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2004 @ 3:09 PM

I've noticed at the beginning of the show, a small disclaimer in the upper left hand corner of screen says "recorded earlier tonight". I take it Kimmel is no longer "live"?

I'm also assuming it has something to do with Janet Jackson Fallout ™. Anyone know the answer?