Runner123

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

A patterned trouser.

aliyameadow

aliyameadow

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2013 @ 7:57 PM

I didn't wear my beautiful shacket very often after that.

I know how you feel. Not only did I have a sweater that C&S said was a no-no, but I had 2 of them in different colors. I wear them around the house. I probably shouldn't let their opinion have that effect on me, but I think it did. I think that, despite what they said, sometimes shapeless is all right. : )

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2013 @ 2:41 PM

I love Clinton and Stacy, but I don't care what they say--I cannot and will not wear a cute little blazer and cute little shoes just to go to the grocery store!

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 9:24 AM

cpcathy, as long as you don't wear a pajama PANT and white "cross trainers" to the store, I think S&C will be okay. Seriously, the first time I heard Clinton describe the all purpose white sneakers as a "cross trainer" I thought he was describing a bra.

SinkWriter72

SinkWriter72

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

cpcathy, as long as you don't wear a pajama PANT and white "cross trainers" to the store, I think S&C will be okay.cpcathy, as long as you don't wear a pajama PANT and white "cross trainers" to the store, I think S&C will be okay.

And no hole-y jeans that make you look like a hobo. And no 'mom' jeans. And no trashy, too-tight stuff. And....

LOL.

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 1:14 PM

I ran into Mindy Cohn at the airport. She's definitely not following the rules. http://i.imgur.com/0fmAcyK.jpg?1

I wonder what the ratio is of people that actually keep up their looks compared to those who let them fall to the waistside. 

SinkWriter72

SinkWriter72

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 1:16 PM

I keep looking at that picture, but to me that does not look like Mindy Cohn at all.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 5:51 PM

I'm not seeing Mindy, either.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 7:38 PM

Even if that is Mindy, everybody gets a pass at the airport. If you have to get half undressed, get x-rayed and felt up, sit in a too-small seat with no legroom and a kid kicking it from behind for who knows how long, all while schlepping luggage, you can wear whatever you darn well please.

Though really, she could have at least worn contacts. Glasses! The horror!

Migzo

Migzo

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 8:55 PM

I think you can travel in a plane for hours and still look decent. There's comfortably stylish and then there is sloppy. I've been on 11-hour flights, slept at the airport during a snowstorm, and taken the red-eye, and still looked decent upon arrival. It's all about choosing wisely. But that applies to anything.

I once heard a commentator tell about seeing a middle-aged woman at the grocery store with her husband and she had curlers in her hair. The commentator ruminated on what was the point of the curlers. If you wear them at home, it's so your hair will look nice later when you go out in public. If you wear them to the grocery store, maybe it's because you want to look nice at home for hubby. But this woman was ugging herself for hubby and the public. The commentator ended with, who was she saving herself for?

I realize people can speculate about a lover or a special occasion, but that wasn't the point.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 9:21 PM

Though really, she could have at least worn contacts. Glasses! The horror!

I suspect you were kidding but I never ever wear my contacts on a plane. The air is so dry it just feels like they fuse to my eyeballs.

The two things I hear in my head from WNTW are "it doesn't have to match; it has to go" and "metallics are a neutral."

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2013 @ 10:22 PM

You suspect correctly, jcbrown. I used to wear contacts myself, but never on a plane for the reason you stated. I was channeling Stacy's "thank goodness the glasses are gone!" It always annoyed me; some of us need corrective lenses and prefer them to contacts.

As for my previous statement of "wear whatever you darn well please", I have to add I'd draw the line at jammies, which I've yet to encounter but I've heard tales of. I can't see anything wrong with what that woman in the photo (whoever she is) is wearing. Then again, unless I'm traveling for business and going directly to the office, that's pretty much what I'd wear, but I've always found WNTW's "dog walking outfits" and "running out for milk" outfits kind of ridiculous, too.

SyncMaster

SyncMaster

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 31, 2013 @ 1:23 AM

Yeah, I will miss this show too--especially on Fridays.  It was a way to end my workweek.

I wish the show had continued using men as contributors.  Those that I can remember all seemed to be good sports about being on the show.

I also wish the show had kept, when the contributor was watching her secret footage, the family and friends as an audience.  Some of their reactions were funnier than a lot of the episode.  There was one episode, from season 3 or 4 I think, with a short, cute Asian woman that was a motorcyclist but was also shy.  The crowd of people that showed up for her were making their own loud sound effects and shit.

johchi

johchi

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 31, 2013 @ 9:54 AM

She is dressed better in the photo than she was at the beginning of the show. Wasn't she wearing long, flowy, loose dresses? The outfit in the photo is a step-up as it's more fitted and less frumpy.

SinkWriter72

SinkWriter72

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2013 @ 12:49 PM

Was just watching What Not To Wear this morning, and got to wishing that Ted would have come up with a "Five-Minute Hair" to go along with Carmindy's "Five-Minute Face." I've already got my make-up routine down pretty well that I can get the basics done in five minutes or less (usually about four), but I tend to be lazy with my hair (quick braided ponytail) because I don't know how to style my hair, I'm not good at it, never have been, and I have no desire to spend a ton of time on it, blowing it dry with a brush and then flat-ironing it or curling it or whatever else. I don't have time for that crap. I need a quick but easy style that still looks nice/professional/polished-enough.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2013 @ 10:33 PM

I think there are too many differences in hair types Sink for there to be an universal 5 minute hair.  I'm lucky, I don't have to style my hair every day, I do it once and it lasts for days.  When it's not behaving, I'll wash the ends and condition them and use a round brush to curl them under and put a headband in.  At the end of the week, it's usually in a high pony.  I refuse to spend the amount of time on my hair that I used to in my teens and early 20's.  

There was an episode on Monday with a high school glee teacher / frumpy mom.  She was very pleasant and really not all that frumpy.  Kinda dressed like one of the Duggar girls - not stylish but more prairie like.  The after clothes were great.  Ted did her hair and called it one of his best haircuts ever.  It was fairly dreadful.  Looked like Toni Tenille.  Accentuated her large nose and with the wide low bangs, it made her look like she had no forehead.  The color was meh too.  I hate to see what Ted's worst hair ever looks like.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2013 @ 8:49 PM

I hadn't watched this in a while, but I wanted to see the twins episode.

I agree with what's been said about the bang.  I hate them anyway, but Ted did them too long.

While it isn't "fair," I think Molly needs to dress more in skirts and dresses, or pant with jackets, to look older if she wants a job teaching.

I liked how she looked in the orange jeans, but she doesn't need to be mistaken for a student when she's working.

And I too hated the clashing prints.

fsutrill

fsutrill

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 22, 2013 @ 7:28 PM

I haven't ever really called 'fake' on a show before, but did anyone else notice that Megumi walked out for her reveal in heels and acted like she had never worn them in her life- taking little mincing steps and acting all tottery, and then when she was doing her modeling/vo just after leaving S and C, she was walking around in those heels like a pro?
I think she may just be a fame ho, lol, who used this whole thing to further her career- she now has an IMDB page AND a Wikipedia entry (snort- she's listed as an 'American TV personality).

awaken

awaken

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 23, 2013 @ 10:22 PM

Just saw the Denise episode. So incredibly sad. WHAT was the deal with the constant ridiculous duck lips? It looked painful. Her face has to hurt. She was so affected, everything she said came out as a joke. She seemed so uncomfortable with herself and in communicating at all. It was even worse than Megumi and I didn't think that was possible. I really feel sad for her and what must have happened in her life to turn herself into a cartoon character, and even after seeing herself look more human, she hated it and said shed go right back to the old look :(

shlbycindyk

shlbycindyk

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2014 @ 1:02 PM

About the Megumi episode.  They replayed it this morning.  I agree with fsutrill about her faking the "not being able to walk in heels" part.  She did fine in the modeling shots.  The things that surprised me about this episode is that Stacy and Clinton seemed to really dislike her and she needed a psychiatrist more than she needed a makeover.  I don't think Carmindy or Ted liked her too much either.  Clnton made a remark about how he wanted to just quit and throw in the towel with her.  I wish they had done that.  Her voice just grated on my nerves.  If I could say one thing to this nutjob it would be, "You're 39 years old.  Deal with it."  A totally unlikeable person and I cannot for the life of me understand how she kept a job.  Her skirts were too short too.  She looked like a 40 year old woman that was trying to look like a 14 year old girl.  

Dewie

Dewie

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2014 @ 1:07 PM

I watched the replay too! Ugh, her obnoxiousness was exactly as bad as I remembered it being.  What a waste of a precious last regular episode.

And if she's thirty-nine, I'm a teenager ;)

Lucysmama

Lucysmama

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2014 @ 1:42 PM

I'm really missing this show so I started DVR'ing the episodes they play on weekdays at noon. It's also streaming on Netflix. That way, I can FF through the boring parts or skip over the MO's I don't like. I know they didn't have many MO's that were male, and that's ok by me, as I didn't enjoy those episodes as much.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2014 @ 2:04 PM

I would dearly love to see episodes that didn't just run in the last couple of seasons.

Don't want to acknowledge Wayne's existence? Fine, skip season 1. But does every show have to be one that I still clearly remember watching from its original run? C'mon, TLC, you have a lot in the vault that would be a refreshing change of pace.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2014 @ 11:56 AM

I think they may be afraid that fashion changes would make the stuff from ten years ago look dated now.  Although, they do tend to go for styles that fit, are age-appropriate, and more or less classic.  I am with you, I would love to see those shows again.  Texas Lady and Boston Laurie would be wonderful to re-visit.

And yet, they totally bought in to the Extreme Heels, which I for one always found to be cartoonish, and could not understand the staying power of that trend.  Thankfully they're on the wane.  Any shoe style that seems intended to make one's feet look like hooves should not be considered classic.

ETA:  Watching ep. 445 ("Dolly") today.  This is definitely one of the top 10 makeovers.  First of all, the "before" Dolly was wearing men's work clothes -- and came out looking like Stockard Channing.  Second, she'd been a victim of sexual abuse as a child, which is something she admitted to them about a third of the way through the show.  So this was an episode that made me cry in a good way.  This show really could - and did - change people's lives.

Edited by heirloomtomata, Feb 18, 2014 @ 1:09 PM.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:15 AM

Just saw the Denise episode

It's on now.  It's super cute! At 28, she's even too old for Hefner. 

It must be bimbo blonde week.  Yesterday was the law school student from Nashville who dressed like a stripper.

Dewie

Dewie

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:25 AM

I wonder why TLC doesn't go back farther in the archives for the noon airings.  They've shown the same recent (past two years) episodes over and over, but I'd love to see many of the super early makeovers, as I was a latecomer to the show.

Paxton

Paxton

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 1:17 PM

I had never seen the episode with the Stripper At Law before. I was 100% with Clinton on his frustration. It must be so irritating trying to pierce through that stubborn wall of, "I'm going to dress like a slut and I'm not going to stop because I've heard it makes other women have to lock up their husbands and that's their problem" or whatever nonsense that was she was claiming. I really don't get why so many women seem to think getting male attention is some amazing feat. Most women can get the wrong kind of attention with very little effort. And Carmindy was right about how aging that tanning was, and Clinton was right that her main problem seemed to be having no sense of humor about her clothing choices.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2014 @ 2:43 PM

Nice article by Clinton looking back on WNTW:

Don't Hate Clinton Kelly Because You're Beautiful

cpcathy

cpcathy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 1:15 PM

That was lovely. Just confirms my thought that Clinton is awesome.

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2014 @ 8:45 AM

I'm vwatching on netflix now. I know they'd smack me and burn all my whole closet, but I'd go shopping with Clinton and Stacy.