What Not to Wear (US)

• Please log in to reply

17846 replies to this topic

patty1h

patty1h

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

Clinton's brow area looks .... different to me. Either surgical procedures and/or botox injections have given him a 'sinister' look.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

Do not like Stacy's hair in this episode. I think Clinton had too much botox which is giving his eyebrows a slightly sinister look.

I think the live aspect would be good for MOs who think they look good and think that only C&S think they look bad.

Ana had ratty extensions. "Lady Gaga of LI"... um, no. At least she didn't have pink frost lipstick.

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

That was AWFUL. If this is what's in store in the future, I'm out.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

What's a little scary is the online voting. For outfits, no big deal, for a haircut? Um, no way. Ted did fantastic work with Anna's hair. I don't know if she'll be straightening it out every day but her hair looked so ratty before and she obviously did it up because she thought she was going in for an audition.

What was nice was seeing the 4 prior make-overs including Beryl who went back to black hair. The one MO with the super short hair... was she the one who brought her dog with her everywhere she went?

Leshyn63

Leshyn63

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

I will be as gentle as possible here. Like its UK predecessor, this is a show that has grown shopworn, and is ready to be retired. And I say that knowing full well that it would be replaced by one of TLC's never-ending parade of freak shows - a polygamous psychic baker, perhaps?

iscoffy

iscoffy

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

Well, that was painful. I felt this horrible sense of secondhand embarrassment throughout, mostly for the MO, but for everyone else, also. From the "shopping" to the studio audience, and especially how superficial everything was ("Oh, Beryl, your hair was pink, wasn't that awesome? Never mind why it isn't pink now, next!"), that really didn't work for me and I really hope it was a one-off.

Pj3422

Pj3422

Video Archivist

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 6:12 AM

Oh, show -- please don't do that again. It was WAY too infomercial-y. If I were the makeover-designee, I'd feel cheated. I don't get to go from store to store in NYC? I have to paw through racks from Loehman's?! That felt cheap.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 7:44 AM

I was not impressed with the live format. To little time on rules - were there any? Too little time on "shopping", even the faux kind. Too much imput from online polls. Some of the Q&A was good, but not all. And you really need to make sure the MO has the right temperament to be able to take a whole audience booing her clothes. I was worried so I checked next week's ep (via info button) and it doesn't look to be live. Fingers crossed.

One more thing. Carmindy made a comment that they never see eachother and how great it was to all be together. I know they have their own studios, but are they really that disconnected that Stacey/Clinton never sees Carmindy and never sees Ted and Ted never sees Carmindy, etc? I would not have guessed that.

Edited by aquarian1, May 30, 2012 @ 7:44 AM.

mstarheel

mstarheel

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

Well, that just sucked big time. Please let's don't go there again, WNTW. Anna did look gorgeous at the end, but who wouldn't if they'd been wearing dead Muppets over hooker dresses to business meetings. And poor girl, how limited was that "Loehman's" shopping, sheesh--everything was "limited," the rules, the outfits, the shopping, the snark. I hope they gave her a real WNTW credit card to go for reals shopping in a real store. What I thought was scary was 15% of their online voters voted for her to KEEP that white sheepdog vest, good grief! (Must have been the Long Island contingent) And that Stacy liked it over an edgy leather jacket! I was surprised Beryl lost the pink hair and it looked short, too. The priest with the sequined top with her priest suit made me giggle, she is a lovely girl.

Lola16:"What was nice was seeing the 4 prior make-overs including Beryl who went back to black hair. The one MO with the super short hair... was she the one who brought her dog with her everywhere she went?"

Lola, I think you're thinking of "Marcy/Marci," she had that little dog that she used as an accessory. The MO with the short hair in the audience tonight was unknown to me, even with her quick flashback.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

I didn't mind the "live" show, as a one-time thing. I'm not anti-change, but I do like most of the old format, with three demo outfits and then three reveal outfits.

Clinton's brow area looks .... different to me.

Didn't notice. Clinton is still awesome.

Carmindy made a comment that they never see eachother and how great it was to all be together. I know they have their own studios, but are they really that disconnected that Stacey/Clinton never sees Carmindy and never sees Ted and Ted never sees Carmindy, etc?

As Stacy mentioned, they work different shifts. Hair and makeup are on a different day than the trashcan and shopping days. I would imagine S&C are in the studio, going over earlier segments while hair and makeup are being done. We see Ted and Carmindy interact occasionally, but never with S&C, so that wasn't a huge shocker to me.

What I thought was scary was 15% of their online voters voted for her to KEEP that white sheepdog vest,

I would have voted to let her keep it. People need to sometimes have a wacky item of clothing just for fun. I see similar stuff in fashion magazines, so why not?
As a makeover, it was a good one. She (can't remember her name) looked very polished afterwards, although I would have liked to see her hair in its natural state. Ted did a great job. She had a ton of hair, though, I didn't understand why she had extensions.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

Wow, that was just, unexpectedly bad. The poor ambushed makeover! I think having Stacy and Clinton say snarky things to your face about your wardrobe after you've had a little time to mentally prepare yourself, and have accepted the credit card, is hard enough on some of these participants. Being thrown in front of a noisy audience, pressured to say yes to the makeover, no credit card, and having Stacy and Clinton rachet up the snark to please the screaming crowd was, it seemed, really hard on the MO and I thought it was cruel. The audience voting was mostly silly, but Ted cutting her hair to audience order was very scary!

I think WNTW has jumped the shark. :-(

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

Add me to the list of people who did not like this show. It seemed so scripted and staged. I certainly hope it was a one time thing or we won't be watching anymore.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

Ditto on the live show HATE! Its a shame for Anna because her makeover felt rushed and everyone's attention seemed divided on the audience and that stupid voting stuff. Anna got short changed and thats a shame b/c she seemed to have a fun personality and interesting story that would have worked well with a regular episode.

If I was Anna I would have been PISSED with that crappy shopping spree! Are you kidding me?! Pick a few pieces from these racks?! No having fun in Manhattan with $5,000?! What a rip! Ted did a great job as usual and so did Carmindy but it still felt like they half assed it. Talking to the audience, S&C right there asking them questions as well, everything just felt.....weird.

But one of the highlights was getting to see previous makeover jobs. I like Beryl but I have little sympathy with a 23-yr old girl with perfect skin, hair, and body complaining about body image. Really hun?! If I had her body I would walk around in a bikini everywhere I went.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

But one of the highlights was getting to see previous makeover jobs. I like Beryl but I have little sympathy with a 23-yr old girl with perfect skin, hair, and body complaining about body image. Really hun?! If I had her body I would walk around in a bikini everywhere I went.

You owe me a new keyboard! That was so funny. I like Beryl, she seemed sweet and fun but dressing her wasn't really a challenge. Even Stacy and Clinton admitted it.

Mint Julep

Mint Julep

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

I don't understand all the Nick hate on this board. A few years ago I went to New York on my "What Not to Wear" trip. I shopped in all the stores that the contributors go to, had my hair cut by Nick and my sister had her makeup done by Carmindy. Nick was awesome, funny and caring. He allowed my sister to take videos of my hair cut, took pictures with us and gave me an autographed photo. I had the time of my life and the hair cut was fabulous.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

I don't understand all the Nick hate on this board.

Not sure it's hate, but more of dislike of seeing the same 2 haircuts over and over. Nick had probably been on the show too long, he looked like he was phoning it in in the later episodes.

Glad you enjoyed your experience!

If I was Anna I would have been PISSED with that crappy shopping spree! Are you kidding me?! Pick a few pieces from these racks?!

I totally missed that part and I was trying to pay attention. I wondered if S&C just brought in a ton of clothes for Anna to choose from? I'll have to catch it on a repeat and see.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

I certainly hope that was a one-time experiment. I like WNTW but won't watch if this is what they are going to do. Give me the 360 mirror! Give me the rules! Give me the shopping in real stores! Give me several "after" looks!

Auruor

Auruor

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

I will say this about the "live audience" experiment -- they sure picked the right subject for a makeover. Anna was a really, really good sport about it. I can't picture many of the past makeover subjects taking it that well.

Also, there's no way Anna was a "top three" worst wardrobe offender, to me... seems like there have been MANY way worse than her.

shoplib

shoplib

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 2:02 PM

I cannot even begin to express how much I hated this new format. I barely made it through the episode, and if the show stays like this I will never watch it again. It came across as so phoney to me - a "setup" audience, voting beforehand on outfits and hairstyles, the ambushed "victim"...come on, who would be so agreeable about taking part in this? It's one thing to go in the 360 with cameras rolling and the crew around, another thing entirely to come out and have an audience hooting at you.

I kept thinking that I was watching The Price Is Right or Let's Make a Deal. Actually, I would have rather...

Jodster

Jodster

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

Did everyone not see the previews for next week? Looks to me like they are back to the regular format. Oh, and buy me a ticket for the "Hate this new format" train!! Ugh.

Also, there's no way Anna was a "top three" worst wardrobe offender, to me... seems like there have been MANY way worse than her.

You're right -- there were many more who were downright psychotic-looking!

With the racks of clothes, it looked to me like they let her pick out a couple of outfits, but the rest they pre-shopped for her. We never got to see any other "after" looks though! Grrrr.

I usually think Stacey looks gorgeous, but last night her dress and hairdo both looked like they belonged to someone's granny.

stretchess

stretchess

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 3:39 PM

I am pretty sure that white furry vest had a Badgley Mischka label on it. Hell, I'd vote for her to keep it too. I wonder what other designer stuff she may have had in there, and how to reconcile getting rid of designer clothes even if they are crazy looking.

The episode was pretty awful, and I hope it was just a one-time special.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

I usually think Stacey looks gorgeous, but last night her dress and hairdo both looked like they belonged to someone's granny.

ITA. Loved the shoes though but nothing else. Even thought Stacey's make-up was a little garish.

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

I like Beryl, she seemed sweet and fun but dressing her wasn't really a challenge. Even Stacy and Clinton admitted it.

I know right?! One thing that did bug me about her was that she slouched alot. She rolled her shoulders foward and hunched over a bit--its kinda annoying when you've got a super model body.

Did everyone not see the previews for next week? Looks to me like they are back to the regular format.

No I didn't see any previews for the next week; oh thank God no more auidence shows. The live audience just seemed to distracting to me.

Edited by dirtybubble, May 30, 2012 @ 5:41 PM.

lazypadawan

lazypadawan

Just Tuned In

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 6:03 PM

That was horrible. Let's hope they never go with the live audience makeover-on-the-cheap format again. You hear me, TLC?

I clearly saw the Badgley Mischka label on the vest they tried to dump. Stacey must have noticed too because she backtracked and said the vest could work if you wore it a certain way.

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 1:49 AM

Add me to the legions who did NOT like this live show. What a mess. First they're in the audience, then they're on stage, then let's ask a question or two, now let's see an outfit, then let's see what viewers at home chose as an outfit. It seemed like they were just making it up as they went along. Hated it so much!

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

Let's hope they never go with the live audience makeover-on-the-cheap format again. You hear me, TLC?

It really felt like one of the GMA ambush make-overs where they pluck someone out of the line outside the building during taping. If WNTW has the urge to do another "live" show, then they should do it as part of someone else's show to promote their show and call it a mini make-over.

honybr

honybr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

It really felt like one of the GMA ambush make-overs where they pluck someone out of the line outside the building during taping. If WNTW has the urge to do another "live" show, then they should do it as part of someone else's show to promote their show and call it a mini make-over.

ITA. I know the train of "hate this format" is getting quite full, but I'm still shoving in. That was the most awful episode ever. I agree with everyone who said I would have been livid if that was my makeover. I think the biggest reason I'd even want to go on the show is to get a chance to shop at stores in NY that they don't have anywhere near where I live.

The part that bugged me as well was at the end when she saw her one new look, she was saying how she couldn't believe it was the same girl in the green dress. While I'm sure that's true, this super fast live method takes away some of the self discovery part that I enjoy. Sure it's fake sometimes, but sometimes you can really see someone grow and embrace it. If you do it in an hour, they aren't going to have time to change mentally therefore easily falling back into bad habits. It was a disservice all around.

Did Ted even wash her hair? Or did it just get flat ironed? I mean this poor girl didn't even get that!

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

Did Ted even wash her hair? Or did it just get flat ironed? I mean this poor girl didn't even get that!

I know! It looked a bit greasy. Guess there wasn't time to do it but you know, since we weren't seeing the show live, they could have spent 3 hours taping it "live" and cutting it down to fit an hour.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

Just got around to watching this trainwreck. I certainly hope it was a one-time-only experiment, because a live format doesn't work for that type of show. It was very distracting. I had to keep taking breaks because I felt like I was watching a game show or live talk show. I think TLC was trying to create hype for the new show "Big in Brooklyn" (or whatever it is called) that was debuting next and that Stacy is the producer of. BTW, Stacy should stick to what she does best and not try to host a live TV show. She's not very good at it. Didn't she have some type of short-lived talk show? I totally love Stacy and Clinton, but they can't be the jack of all trades. Stacy is in her element with her tough-love snark.

There is no way to do that type of show live, because it comes off as a farce and ineffective. The MOs need to be given (and understand) the rules. They need the frustrating experience of shopping. Ted needs adequate time to wash (and if necessary) color the MOs hair and to a thorough job. I always find Carmindy's make-up jobs to be slap-dash, so her participation was OK. She just seemed very uncomfortable in the live format and having to wander around the assembled studio audience to do mini-makeovers.

When I said her make-up jobs as "slap dash," I hope that didn't come across as an insult, because the woman can work wonders. I think that Carmindy is boxed into a corner where she is forced to teach these people how to pull together a presentable face in the very least possible amount of time. I know that's the reality for most women who are wives/mothers/work, etc. I know the routine by heart: tinted moisturizer, some mascara and color for the lips; get daring with some eyeliner. If I were her, I'd be completely frustrated by the lack of creativity she's allowed to exhibit.

I'd love to see what Carmindy could do if she had unlimited time to give somebody a complete makeover. I'd completely sit through a show and watch and I'll bet the results would be amazing! Unfortunately, we'll never see that on WNTW. As much as I like her, it might be time to change the guard and bring in a new makeup artist with some fresh new ideas, kind of like Ted/Nick.

Regarding Nick... I don't think that people hate on him. It's just that over the years, he became so limited in his styles. Everybody got a bob cut, regardless of the type of hair they had, personal preference, etc. I also thought he was a hypocrite because he was always harping on short hair, whereas he had that awful mess of greasy-looking long hair himself. Ted seems to have more ideas and he respects the MOs feelings about their hair, regarding length, etc. I loved his answer to the woman who asked about at what age should one cut her hair short. I think it was time for WNTW to bring in somebody new in the hair department. I like Ted alot.

ITA that Stacy didn't look that good. I liked her dress, but that hairstyle was awful. It was matronly. I think the point was to not have her hair (if it was long and straight) to compete with the pattern of the dress. It had the opposite effect. I was so distracted by her messy granny bun, that my eyes were drawn to that.

Anna was a great MO. She was a good sport and she was actually quite funny. She wasn't bad-looking and she had an easy figure to dress. I don't believe for one moment that it was a "random surprise" MO. The producers had to scout for somebody who could be easily dressed off-the-rack. Also, when Anna said she used to be a hair stylist, I'm sure that she was instructed to color her hair beforehand. I can't think of a single episode where the MOs hair wasn't colored, unless they absolutely refused.

I, too, wondered why Beryl ditched the hot-pink hair. Hopefully, she grew up and got tired of it. Maybe it was too expensive and high maintenance. Anyway, she looked good. I forgot about the clergywoman. When I saw the camera pan over the audience and linger on her, I wondered why a female priest was there, but it all clicked. I don't remember her name, but she looked really good with the red lipstick and sparkly top.

shlbycindyk

shlbycindyk

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

I also just got around to watching this on my DVR. For a one time thing I liked it. The M.O. was a perfect candidate for this episode. She had a good personality and seemed pretty easy going. I loved her hair and makeup at the end. She also looked much, much better in her reveal outfit. The one thing I did really like was Clinton and Stacy answering questions from the audience and people online. I wish they would take 2 questions every week, from online submissions, and answer them. I also liked seeing Ted and Carmindy together with Clinton and Stacy. I was glad to hear Ted say that age shouldn't play in to how long a woman wears her hair. The new show, Big Brooklyn Style, looks interesting and I was surprised to hear that Stacy is the Executive Producer. I have read interviews where Stacy has said she's battled her weight for most of her life. You wouldn't know it to see her now because I think she looks wonderful. I remembered all but one of the previous M.O.'s shown and I was so glad to see that Beryl had ditched the pink hair. I just thought she looked so much better with it a natural color. Clinton and Stacy looked great as usual although I did think Stacy looked a little nervous. I can't say that I blame her. It was a season premier episode and also a lead in for a new show so I understand why they mixed it up a little. I'm really happy we're getting new episodes.

If you look closely at her hair when Ted is getting ready to use the straightening iron, you will see it is wet and Stacy even asks if it's okay to straighten your hair when it's wet. They also mentioned a few times that she needed to spend the rest of her $5000.00.

Edited by shlbycindyk, Jun 3, 2012 @ 8:07 PM.