What Not to Wear (US)

• Please log in to reply

17847 replies to this topic

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2011 @ 10:02 PM

I just got caught up on this week's new episodes.

Jodi, OMG. She is a year younger than I am and I picked up some valuable pointers. I don't dress like her, but still some of the hair and makeup ideas were very valuable. For example, I have very skimpy and light eyelashes, but I noticed that in the MOs, Carmindy didn't put any mascara on the lower lashes, so I am going to ditch that bad habit immediately. I use black/brown as black would be way too harsh for my skin tone. I wish that some cosmetics company would produce just plain brown mascara.

Such a waste. I think that Jodi probably will immediately fall back into her old wardrobe and makeup habits. It's so frustrating when I think of all of the women out there who would benefit from, appreciate and embrace the new look.

I wonder if TLC has a timeframe for the MO to seriously contemplate the offer. I think that if Jodi had time to think about it, she would have declined.

Moving on to Rebecca. She was smoking hot after she was dressed in some appropriate clothes. I am happy that she had an open -minded attitude.

I want to chime in about blow-outs. I have awful hair. It is very fine but wavy/curly at the crown area in the back. I color my own hair with good results (Garnier products) but it is horrible during this time of year with static. I've read to run a clothes dryer sheet over my hair, but that makes it even worse.

I don't know how to do blow-outs at home. Any ideas?

I LOVE S&S but I hope that what we've seen so far isn't indicative that all future episodes aren't psychology sessions. That is not the point of the show.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 2:38 PM

If she's that stressed out by the natural aging process, she really needs to be considering plastic surgery.

Perhaps it would be better to start with psychotherapy?

Maybe, although nothing about this woman suggested she'd be open to that. And sometimes, it's not the answer. My niece, who hated her rather bulgy nose, went (at my sister's insistance) through several years of pyschotherapy over her"self-esteem" issues. She remained shy and morose through the whole experience. As soon as she graduated from college and started working, she saved up for a nose job, had it done by a great surgeon, and her whole personality changed. If Jody hates her sagging or drooping that much, there are new options all the time for making some real change. Stacy and Clinton aren't always the answer.

Edited by Ketzel, Dec 4, 2011 @ 2:40 PM.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 2:52 PM

I bet if Jodi had a facelift (or whatever) it would just encourage her to continue dressing like a skank, because then she'd REALLY be getting results in the clubs. Plus I could see her turning into one of those people who keep having more and more surgeries.

whirlygirly

whirlygirly

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 2:55 PM

I wish that some cosmetics company would produce just plain brown mascara.

Too Faced and Benefit both make brown mascaras.

Re: Jodi- ugh. I felt so bad for S&C, they felt so bad that they had "failed" her when in reality I think she just plain didn't want to change. I felt bad for Ted and Carmindy too, they both did such a great job and she was so ungrateful. Ted only took a couple inches off and she acted like he'd shaved her bald! I don't think that was a compromise cut either, I think he only wanted to take a couple inches off to begin with- that's one of the things I love about Ted, he doesn't have the bias against long hair that Nick did. But it looked so much healthier when he was done and had a great shape, and she just couldn't see it.

There was one outfit she tried on when she was shopping with S&C, I think it was the first outfit she admitted she might actually like, with a brown leather jacket? With her long hair it gave her kind of a Sheryl Crow vibe, I thought they should have put her in more stuff like that. And then she was such a pill that I just didn't care anymore.

Crazy Turtle Lady: That may have been the funniest episode of WNTW ever. I laughed out loud several times- Clinton especially was in rare form, what with "Who gives awards for liking turtles? People will fall for anything!" and "OMG, what am I doing? This is going to be on TV! I need a drink!" and all. I was dying. What's more, they turned out a great makeover- she looked like a whole new person! Ted's haircut, even though he blew it out to show her how it would look straight, looked like it was a better shape for her when it was curly too- I wish they'd shown her with the curls after in a better shot than that webcam or whatever.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2011 @ 8:29 PM

Just watched the first two new shows myself. I'll keep it short.

a.Jodi.What an annoying, condescending, unpleasant person. I don't care WHAT she wears, as long as I never have to see her again.
b Turtle Lady. Okay, she was a bit(?!) on the wacky side, but she was pleasant and looked great at the end of the show.
c. Clinton. I adore you. These shows were a "Why We Love Clinton Kelly Festival". From his"belly dancing" in show one, to his "Crazy Turtle Lady" song and dance in show two, it was Clinton's night. Win-win for us.

sadiegirl

sadiegirl

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 5:29 AM

Can someone tell me the turtle lady's name? I'm trying to catch that episode and I'm having trouble finding it. And the TLC website is no help. I can't believe how unhelpful their site it.

Intuition

Intuition

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 6:46 AM

I was having Jesse flashbacks during the Jodi episode. Why is it that they have to pick these 50 year old women with such issues? I'm 50 plus and know a lot of women who wouldn't be so resistant to change. I think it makes older women look bad.

Granted, Jodi was a handful but a little sensitivity and TLC might have gone a long way. I think she dug her heels in because she once had a relationship with a controlling man who tried to tell her how to dress. That was mentioned briefly in her episode. I think the tactic that Stacy and Clinton took with her was too reminiscent of that and of course, she rebelled. I personally found many of the digs they made toward her to be offensive and I'm usually defending them when they do that. I think she would have been a difficult case anyway but IMO it got negative as a result of her reacting to those comments. I guess I'm of the belief that a mature woman needs a different, more respectful approach from the usual blow over the head with a 2x4.

Perhaps it's because I know that Jodi's not a whack job who wears a raccoon tail or fairy wings, but just an older woman with issues not unlike many women in her age bracket. A lot of us are afraid of looking "old lady" at this age. She was just more afraid and more entrenched in bad habits and a skewed image of herself than a lot of people.

I think that if they had dispensed with some of the sarcasm and comments about her dressing like a 10 year old (even if it was true) and concentrated more on encouraging her that her new look was not "old lady", she would not have been as resistant or difficult with them and would have embraced more of the change. I don't think Stacy and Clinton are going to win any awards for their sensitivity towards mature women, which is kind of off-putting to me and makes me wonder as Stacy herself is no spring chicken. Perhaps she will have more sensitivity towards women with this issue when she hits 50. Who knows?

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 7:24 AM

Intuition, I think S&C did encourage her that her new look wasn't "old lady" but Jodi was still insistent that her old "look"(yuck) was cool.. I think Jodi was pretty sarcastic towards S&C herself-calling Clinton's shirt and jeans "country western(?) and boring".
Jodi took the money, and if she didn't like the outcome, she should have accepted their offer to take her old clothes back.
By the way, I'm 51, and S&C, Ted and Carmindy can do whatever they want for me.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 9:05 AM

I don't think Jodi responds to logic of any kind, otherwise she would have looked at her own daughters and realized that 20 year olds (or however old they were) don't automatically dress like hos. She also would have internalized what she gave lip service to, in agreeing that she wasn't having much luck finding nice men with her current look.

I also think her daughter specifically said that Jodi started dressing like this only after her divorce 10 years ago. Which means this look wasn't some long-engrained habit, which means it shouldn't have been as tough to change as some of these clients who literally haven't altered their hairstyle since Prince was ruling the music scene.

That said, I think one of the worst things about a woman aging is how you become invisible- not just to men, but really to everyone. I understand the yearning to be seen, and it's a challenge to retain your dignity at the same time.

whirlygirly

whirlygirly

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2011 @ 2:33 PM

Can someone tell me the turtle lady's name?

Rebecca

Intuition

Intuition

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 2:42 AM

I think Jodi was a person who was especially sensitive to criticism about her manner of dress, probably because of her relationship baggage with a man who told her how to dress. She rebelled against Stacy and Clinton because she saw them as yet more people who wanted to criticize her and tell her how to dress. Most women who are featured on this show have issues of one kind or another but some get tea and sympathy from Stacy and Clinton and some do not.

As a psychologist I tend to see these things differently, perhaps. If the person you're trying to help digs their heels in and becomes difficult, the way to help them is not to keep doing what turns them off or to react emotionally to their resistance, but to try to find the way to get through to them. I don't think it would have been impossible for Stacy and Clinton to find the way to get through to Jodi but I think it would have involved more skill and patience than they were able or willing to give her.

By the way, a long time ago I dated a guy who wanted to tell me how to dress. I humored him for a while but eventually rebelled and now I will never ever wear baby pastels again for as long as I live. I think Jodi's wardrobe was at least in part a rebellion in and of itself against what her boyfriend would have wanted her to wear. OK, perhaps she needs therapy but a lot of the MO candidates on this show need therapy and yet come out with a new attitude in the end. It was the harsh criticism that made Jodi rebel against Stacy and Clinton. If they could have just gone easier on that I don't think she would have criticized Clinton's clothing. She was making a point by doing that. She was in effect trying to show him how it felt to be criticized.

Hildegard802

Hildegard802

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 8:05 PM

If I saw the old episode with Teacher Kimberly before tonight, I don't remember it. Old enough it had Nick on. Hands down worst styling effort by S & C. Most of the clothes she ended up with were just nasty. What was particularly horrifying was the ill-fitting junk they put her in during shopping, all the while raving how awesome it was.

patty1h

patty1h

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

Becca's transformation was incredible. She looked fantastic and sexy in that blue reveal dress. And I liked how she seemed to be amazed by the woman she'd been hiding under her old wardrobe.

dezolis

dezolis

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 10:53 PM

I thought they were overselling the speechless reaction during the promos but when it came time for the reveal, I was a bit stunned myself. Becca looked so much heavier in her old schlub wear, I couldn't believe what her figure actually looked like.

I'm sort of scared to know what she was doing to those t-shirts to get the massive pit holes in every last one of them.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 10:59 PM

Loved Becca's reveal dress. But Ted, that green shirt was...weird.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2011 @ 11:26 PM

I'm sort of scared to know what she was doing to those t-shirts to get the massive pit holes in every last one of them.

I assume it was just many years of sweat and anti-perspirants.

Ted is a genius. Becca may have thought it was the bra, but it sure seemed like the haircut was where the lightbulb went on.

Literata

Literata

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 12:37 AM

I, too, loved the Becca reveal. But if she truly has a boyfriend and not a girlfriend, I'll eat my hat.

The bra fitting made me even more certain that I need one.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 1:00 AM

Holy shizzballs, one of the best transformations they've had in years. She was too adorable, really.

And in that shirt and tie, Ted looked like the Keebler Elf's brother from another mother.

She and her boyfriend looked cute enough, to me, at the reveal. I don't see why they would have faked their relationship just for the show.

Arizonaguy

Arizonaguy

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 2:36 AM

Very enjoyable episode; awesome transformation. Great job with this one--Clinton, Stacey, Ted, Carmindy.

sadiegirl

sadiegirl

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 6:56 AM

My dvr missed this somehow. Does anyone know when they rerun the new episodes? All the episodes listed on my guide are old and I've already missed two good episodes!

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 8:42 AM

But if she truly has a boyfriend and not a girlfriend, I'll eat my hat.

He was shown at the reveal, a cute blonde guy who looked younger than her.

sadiegirl, new episodes run Tuesdays.

Suby

Suby

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 9:07 AM

But if she truly has a boyfriend and not a girlfriend, I'll eat my hat.

Maybe they borrowed each other's respective girlfriend/boyfriend for the show. All of her shirts looked dry rotted and those duct taped jeans looked filthy. And those boots? Her comments were very telling so that explained (sort of) why she dressed the way she did. I was surprised Becca didn't put up much of a fight because she definitely did a 180. Going from dressing like a male street person, complaining about having to shave her legs, to liking dresses. Was this a real transformation or just an amazing makeover?

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 9:08 AM

I also loved Becca. But why, when they look so great in the S&C reveals, does everyone seem to choose a hideous outfit for the friends and family reveal. Hated that leather (?) dress. It was too tight and not flattering at all.

But pretty cool that she's dating Justin Bieber.

Edited by charlieboo, Dec 7, 2011 @ 9:09 AM.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 9:28 AM

Justin Bieber? Her boyfriend looked boyish, but looked nothing like Bieber.

And enough with crying over the hair. I just had 14" cut off so I could donate it to Locks of Love. I do it every 2-3 years. Some random lady hugged me this last time in the salon and told me to be brave. Um, it's just hair. It'll be halfway down my back in a few months. I'll live. As will all the MOs on this show.

This is from a couple pages ago. To be fair, many people's hair does not grow that fast, esp. as they get older. So cutting off long hair that took years to grow can be a huge, long-term change; not everyone can just have it down to their waist again a year later.

Becca looked like a completely different person. I really don't understand going out in public with huge holes in one's shirt. It's not like these were irreplaceable tees that she just couldn't part with. Odd.

crankyone

crankyone

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 10:54 AM

I've always thought that if one grooms their eyebrows, it makes a world of difference--and in Becca's case, it really did!

This is one of the best makeovers in a long time. It was a pleasure to see her transformation visually and mentally. She looked really cute and I also thought a lot younger. I thought her before look made her look older than 30.

Jempilot

Jempilot

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 12:01 PM

Wow, Becca was a FANTASTIC reveal! I wasn't crazy about her friends and family reveal dress, but the first reveal outfit for Stacey and Clinton was seriously great. I wasn't sure I'd like Ted closing in her face like that, but with the makeup it was fantastic. I want a session with Carmindy - she does a great job of working with the person's features rather than making everyone look the same. Even though the 5 minute face is the same, I really notice a difference between when she brings out someone's eyes and when she highlighted Beccas's cute cheeks.

annalisa

annalisa

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 12:53 PM

I didn't see the entire episode of Becca but I did see it up to the 360 mirror.

I can understand someone not caring about fashion but I cannot understand someone not caring so much that they have huge holes in their clothes with their one bra hanging out and duct tape holding together filthy jeans. In addtion to thinking this attire is acceptable anywhere, let alone the food service industry. I just can't wrap my head around that.

I can't wait to watch the entire episode tonight and see the reveal.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 2:06 PM

I'm actually amazed that she was even hired in the first place. And what's wrong with the shop owner, creating a new dress code instead of just telling this girl to clean up her act? I assume she wore an apron or smock or something over her pit-less tees, but even those black kicks were pretty stomach-turning.

I have to say that Stacy & Clinton should probably alter some of their mannequin/outfits to reflect the client. I'm positive they make plus size mannequins, for one thing. Also, realistically, how can you expect a slob like Becca to even comprehend 'print top with contrast color cami with jacket with skinny jeans with wedge heels'.

desertflower

desertflower

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 3:46 PM

But why, when they look so great in the S&C reveals, does everyone seem to choose a hideous outfit for the friends and family reveal.

This has always bugged me too. I've seen so many of them do that; they pick the least flattering of the bunch to reveal to the family. I wonder if it's the participant's choice on what to wear for the family reveal or if the production pushes them in a particular direction.

I have to say that Stacy & Clinton should probably alter some of their mannequin/outfits to reflect the client. I'm positive they make plus size mannequins, for one thing.

I could swear that at one time they did try to have fuller figured mannequins, but I think it was only for a few episodes. Am I crazy or does anyone else remember that?

I can understand someone not caring about fashion but I cannot understand someone not caring so much that they have huge holes in their clothes with their one bra hanging out and duct tape holding together filthy jeans.

Yeah I was amazed she went out in that stuff, but her explanation sort of made sense in a strange way. She said she didn't want to try at all because she didn't want people thinking she tried and still didn't look good. So in her mind not trying got her off the hook, like people would maybe judge her less harshly because she simply didn't care. I'm not saying I agree with that rationale but I can sort of see how someone might end up in that place. She'd rather not try than try halfway and fail.

Her haircut was genius; it did so much for her, as well as Carmindy's makeup. I've never seen Carmindy do a bad job on anyone.

Suby

Suby

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2011 @ 3:52 PM

I can understand someone not caring about fashion but I cannot understand someone not caring so much that they have huge holes in their clothes with their one bra hanging out and duct tape holding together filthy jeans. In addtion to thinking this attire is acceptable anywhere, let alone the food service industry. I just can't wrap my head around that.

Yes - This. Becca was slovenly, and looked dirty - her hair, her clothes, and one bra - seriously? MMMM, serve me a cupcake lady!
So now she is going to bathe, wear makeup, nice clothes and gasp! shave her legs?