What Not to Wear (US)

• Please log in to reply

17849 replies to this topic

Sammie5

Sammie5

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2005 @ 10:48 AM

Oh, I agree. The purple top was really unattractive, it seemed to gape in the wrong places. I think they had her buy it just because it was backless. Too bad it didn't fit. And the skirt was so wrong. She has a petite, curvy figure, and I thought the shape of that skirt was just wrong.

I think she could still wear short skirts, just not so short that they show underwear.

outfoxed

outfoxed

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2005 @ 10:55 AM

I hardly have had time to get over how great Charlie and Delia looked and how much I enjoyed their episodes when Sohni comes along. She was wonderful! I have never seen Stacy so take to an m.o. I cracked up with her when Sohni said that while she would like a boyfriend who was a lawyer or other professional, she'd settle for one who had a job!

It's true that the snippets might have made her seem more compliant than she was but, somehow, I think she did *get* it once she saw the footage and the really good outfits Stacy and Clinton used to illustrate the rules. I rember her saying that she didn't look trampy anymore. Really, a good episode. I can't wait to see the one next week when they work with the dweeb who goes out in public in his pajamas.

Ooops--have to add that there are no words to express how much I hated that purple top she wore at the reveal. What on earth happened to S&C's eye sight?

Edited by outfoxed, Jan 22, 2005 @ 10:57 AM.

ChelseaNH

ChelseaNH

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2005 @ 11:24 AM

The purple shirt was seriously bad -- all ruffly and poofy like a bad bridesmaid's dress. No way it could be anyone's favorite. The first outfit, on the other hand, was smashing. I also loved the dark raspberry button-up jacket. Sohni shouldn't have any trouble putting together good outfits, now that she's discovered the difference between sexy and trampy.

chillinstylin

chillinstylin

Posted Jan 22, 2005 @ 11:28 AM

chillinstylin
Channel Surfer

Yesterday @ 09:35 PM    Anchor    Report  Edit
Looking forward to turning the channel at the precise time Spacehead and Clifford play Samantha Stevens on the streets of new York in their opener.

Okay so I clicked back and what did I see? A beautiful women with a heart like a golden ticket. I loved her personality. I HAAATED her reveal outfits they seem to not fit and accentuated her slight belly. I loved her personality though and thought she was beautiful. I like the shows now because, if you notice, it has become less about Stacy and Clinton and more about the mo's. I feel thier personalities "take away" from the show and not always "add" to it. Seems as if the carsons,paige davis (loud crazy pushy hosts) days are numbered on all the shows. TLC's rating are way down across the board and Queer Eye has become non existent.

SilvaVocat

SilvaVocat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 22, 2005 @ 1:04 PM

Sohni looked gorgeous in that green dress from the first day. And I was upset that Stacey and Clinton ragged on the pink top. I thought it looked great under that suit.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2005 @ 1:57 PM

I knew they were going to hate that top because it was too much of the old Sohni. The style worked for the suit but it was too loud and "look at me!!" Maybe in a less glaring pink and without all the sequins on the straps.

As for the purple top and pencil skirt, I think it was the aggressive fug of that top that killed the outfit. Had the top fit better and not had all that froufrou on it, it would have blended better with the skirt. I think the color worked well with the skirt, but not the shininess or the Little Slut on the Prairie cut. But the skirt really made her ass look fierce. In a non-trampy way.

barkley

barkley

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2005 @ 2:53 PM

I loved Sohni's makeover, but no matter how sophisticated she tries to dress, it just looks "off" with the tatoos, especially the one on the leg.

I agree about the fug of the purple top. Maybe it looks less shiny IRL. Satin never looks good on camera.

kris5711

kris5711

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2005 @ 7:57 PM

Is anyone getting a Nancy McKeon vibe off of Isha (sp?)?

Shelly98

Shelly98

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2005 @ 8:22 PM

Sohni's first two reveal outfits were fab, I thought. I did like the purple shirt (though I would never wear it myself; I don't like showing off my back too much); but it did look a bit shiny on camera. It seemed to me like it was a silk shirt, not a satin one, though.

Sohni looked gorgeous in that green dress from the first day. And I was upset that Stacey and Clinton ragged on the pink top. I thought it looked great under that suit.

Indeed.

There was one jacket she got on the first day--I think she wore it at her at-home reveal--that...well, let's just say I got a real bellhop vibe from it. I didn't like it at all.

Agatha Part 2

Agatha Part 2

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2005 @ 8:37 PM

Sohni's makeover has been my favorite so far. I think it's mostly because I want what she bought. She rocked the jeans and pencil skirts and I thought the purple shirt was sweet. Her new makeup made her pretty eyes stand out.

Harry24

Harry24

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2005 @ 12:13 PM

I too loved Sohni. I think my favorite outfit, though, was one she chose early on her first day: the short sleeved cream peasant top with the bright green skirt and heels. She looked romantic, fresh and charming. It's not the kind of look S&C ever really suggest; I don't ever recall them advising a full skirt on anything. Everything is usually close to the body.

And that green dress was also gorgeous. I thought her reveal outfits were nice except that totally weird third choice. I thought the purple blouse was purely tacky and should have been burned. The skirt was marvelous and should have been paired with a beautiful blouse suitable for office/cocktail party.

Boy, have they been having wonderful MO's! It's just infectious when they love the MO's and start forgetting the cameras are there.

Sohni was just such a well grounded, cool person. She was open to change and criticism. She was funny. And, needless to say, stunningly beautiful. The most gorgeous man I ever dated used to say he thought the most beautiful women in the world were those from India and Pakistan (and I'm blonde and green-eyed. Thanks! But I wasn't that into him anyway, so don't worry.) But I'm beginning to think he's right. Their coloring is just stunning, and their lush hair is incredible. Their hair is so black it almost looks blue! I'm generalizing of course. But I've just begun to realize this recently after seeing some of the lovely MOs on this show and actresses on BBCAmerica.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2005 @ 12:54 PM

Funny you should mention "most beautiful" because I had a college prof who swore Southern Italians were the most beautiful, I'm partial to Dalmatian (coastal Croatian - my mother's ethnicity) and have always thought that N. African (specifically Moroccan) people are strikingly beautiful, too. And what they all have in common, including Indian/Pakistani people is the dark hair, piercing eyes and angular bone structure.

But the US was founded mostly by N. European/British settlers, and the soft-featured, blue-eyed blonde look became an ideal. But in most of the world, that "ideal" is as exotic as we claim the darker, angular look is. (And how I hate the word "exotic.")

Sohni is beautiful and it was interesting to see that although she dressed in a flashy trashy way to be "sexy" she seemed genuinely surprised, flattered and awkward whenever someone pointed out how naturally beautiful or sexy she was. She really was hiding her beauty behind all the artifice she wrapped herself in. There was no hiding her personality which was wholly charming, warm and inviting, but the toned-down clothes let that personality enter the room first. I think I rank her with Megan, Marie, Gina and Ken as my favorite MOs.

Hailey

Hailey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 12:26 PM

As for the purple top and pencil skirt, I think it was the aggressive fug of that top that killed the outfit

I agree. I also thought the skirt was a half size too small and incredibly high-waisted. High-waisted skirt + bunchy too-short top = FUG every time.

It's not the kind of look S&C ever really suggest

Maybe not the show too often, but it's identical to SJP's award show uniform. Tight top and puffy tea length skirt.

shootingstar

shootingstar

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 5:19 PM

I can't believe no one else thought she looked like Rosario Dawson. But I dislike Rosario and absolutely loved Sohni. She really was gorgeous and was just a sweetie. I love the episodes where they show woman how to be sexy without chanelling Pamela Anderson's last Playboy shoot.

The Purple top left something to be desired but it fit her. It seems "sweet" in the front, but revealed an open back. I thought it was a good transition piece for her.

And why, oh why do the MOs pick like the worse outfit for the reveal? They always seem to go with black. But black is too safe - I like the ones who pick color.

chillinstylin

chillinstylin

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 6:49 PM

And why, oh why do the MOs pick like the worse outfit for the reveal? They always seem to go with black. But black is too safe - I like the ones who pick color.

The MO's don't pick their final reveal outfits the offscreen stylist's do. Stacy and Clinton have "some" input.

Ace

Ace

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2005 @ 6:55 PM

It seemed to me like it was a silk shirt, not a satin one, though.

They're not the same category -- silk is a fiber and satin is a weave/fabric. Satin can be made of silk, or rayon, etc.

Edited by Ace, Jan 24, 2005 @ 6:56 PM.

PersonaAuGratin

PersonaAuGratin

Posted Jan 27, 2005 @ 9:01 PM

Isn't that what he/she means - that it might have been silk, but not a satin silk?

I missed this, so I tried the TLC site for pix, and there are 4. So, of 4 photos, why in the world would they waste one by showing Nick and a scalp covered in hair-goo? Grr. Am I looking in the wrong place - seems like they usually post more comprehensive photos (though not by much).

chillinstylin

chillinstylin

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 8:07 AM

Hostless format on trading spaces and trading spaces family. Have my prayers been answered regarding WNTW will there be a hostless format too?

http://www.washingto...-2005Jan27.html

Our prayers are answered, is this why Wayne jumped shipped after starting up a show that was a hit after 10 pilots eppis? Maybe he knew something we didn't, maybe this is the truth.

In its glory days, "Trading Spaces" averaged about 4 million viewers. But the show was a victim of its own success, as TLC cloned it and other networks jumped on the makeover bandwagon. In one season "Trading Spaces" fumbled about 40 percent of its peak audience. Since returning in October for its fifth season, "Trading Spaces" has been averaging about 1.5 mil
After initial audience interest, many of the me-too series took similar dives. Down by double digits went TLC's "What Not to Wear" and "While You Were Out," and Bravo's "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy"; the list goes on and on. Interestingly, ABC's Sunday "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," a sort of "Trading Spaces" meets "Queen for a Day" that stars hunky carpenter Ty Pennington of "Trading Spaces," jumped about 40 percent in the ratings this season

Edited by chillinstylin, Jan 28, 2005 @ 10:03 AM.

SoggyFroggy

SoggyFroggy

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 10:10 AM

The show has definitely not been the same since he left. :(

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 10:26 AM

Hostless format on trading spaces and trading spaces family. Have my prayers been answered regarding WNTW will there be a hostless format too?

[ot]That's a big resignation! I hate to tell TLC that Paige (like her or hate her) was not the biggest problem with Trading Spaces. It was all those new, shitty designers. And while I'm at it...is it just me are there like, 37 shows about cars on TLC & Discovery? [/ot]

But I can't picture WNTW host-less. Part of its...uh, "charm"...is the banter between makeover-ee and Stacey & Clinton.

The show has definitely not been the same since he left. :(

Oh god, I hope we're not veering into yet another Wayne vs. Clinton debate. Can't we all just get along?

chillinstylin

chillinstylin

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 10:35 AM

Just proof that the numbers suck, to all those who said the show is a hit. It's not.
Roger leaving is a huge problem.

SoggyFroggy

SoggyFroggy

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 10:58 AM

Oh god, I hope we're not veering into yet another Wayne vs. Clinton debate. Can't we all just get along?

People disagree and still get along all the time. The show has jumped the shark. It's over. It jumped the shark at the beginning of Season 2 and now that Marmet has been given the old heave-ho the network will either wake up and take care of business, or maybe the whole thing will fold. We can only hope.

Edited by SoggyFroggy, Jan 28, 2005 @ 10:58 AM.

Le Cerf

Le Cerf

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 11:55 AM

Personally, I really like both Stacy and Clinton. I know that a good chunk of people don't. Either way, I don't think WNTW is a show that can go hostless. I guess the alternative would be to have off-camera stylists do all of the fashion help, but it seems like then the viewers at home would not have enough information to really follow what is happening. I think that this show would be canceled before TPTB would try a hostless format.

On another topic, for MOs like Charlie who actually need grubby clothes that can get dirty for their jobs, do Stacy and Clinton allow them to keep their work apparel?

Tosia

Tosia

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 12:23 PM

I like Stacy & Clinton. My good friend does not.

Stacy is a character. Clinton actually has some wit.

There's no way this show would work without hosts. Can you imagine real--really real--people talking to the camera without cues or questions? Blech--it's like those stupid dating shows with videos in the room (or ship's cabin) after the date--borring--unless they snark on the guy/girl.

I love this show too--even though the clothes outfits are looking mighty alike--colorful jacket/tight top/bright-print skirt/pizza shoes or stiletto boots; and suits with a blouse or shoes or purse in a color that doesn't go with anything else in the outfit.

But I like the message that people should actually dress when they go out in the world--unlike they're getting ready for: a) bed; b) working out; c) doing laundry with everything else in the wash, etc.

Make a little effort people!

beeg

beeg

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 12:39 PM

I didn't watch season one, so I don't know if it was better or not.

I began watching in season two, and have now caught all the episodes (many of them multiple times) in re-runs.

I loved the show during season two. I love it even more this season with some of the changes they have made (like not pretending the MO is doing a bad job in the beginning of day two, even if they are really doing a good job).

I think both Stacey and Clinton do a good job, and always have. I also think they are improving with time as they grow into the show and the show matures.

What I particularly appreciate about the show is that they never criticize anything about a person that cannot be easily and quickly changed. I love that when MOs say they need to lose weight, S and C say things like "you may or not lose some weight, but let's focus on making you look good at the weight you are." This was a radical concept to me when I first heard it. I was convinced that I could not look good at my current weight. Then I saw the transformations of some of the MOs who were approximately my size, and I was stunned!

Likewise with women who in the beginning of the show seem somewhat "homely," or at least far from being a "natural beauty." By the end of the show, with nice clothes, a good haircut, nice makeup, and a newfound confidence, they are all very attractive. This has inspired me a great deal.

Maybe it's because I was dressing so bad before I started watching this show, and so was in a position to really learn a lot, but I have never had the impression like some have that all the outfits look alike - other than the fact that they all fit much better than what the MOs were preveiously wearing. I have always been impressed with how they have individualized the makeovers to suit the different body types and lifestyles.

septemberish

septemberish

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 12:43 PM

On another topic, for MOs like Charlie who actually need grubby clothes that can get dirty for their jobs, do Stacy and Clinton allow them to keep their work apparel?

If I remember correctly, I think the first thing Charlie did on his first shopping day was to buy new work clothes (painter's overalls & etc.).

And I just don't think this is a show that could ever go the host-less route, the format just wouldn't work. (Plus, I actually like Stacy & Clinton. *shrug*)

doctorwu

doctorwu

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 12:47 PM

I don't know, maybe a hostless format could work on WNTW. First, the cameras can follow someone around until he or she admits the wardrobe sucks. Then the person can bug everyone he or she knows until they cough up five thousand bucks, then the person can get into the 360 mirror and say things like, "I really like this! Oh, who am I kidding? I look like Bozo the clown". Then the person will go on the shopping spree and later watch footage of the shopping on tape and criticize all his or her decisions and go out the second day and buy completely different clothes. And finally he or she can do the hair and makeup and say "shut up" a lot when doing the self-reveal.

I think those TLC geniuses are onto something. Now for the mechanic-less version of Overhaulin'.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 2:41 PM

Actually, WNTW has already eliminated the "hostess." In the pilot season there was an utterly useless woman who would talk to the MOs after they were surprised and served absolutely no purpose whatsoever. They dropped her after a couple of episodes and let Stacy & Wayne (and now Clinton) do all the "hosting" duties. That way no one's looking at this random wondering "why is she there?"

It's not like Paige was a designer or a seamstress or a carpenter. She was a pretty and perky face that offered no additional value to her segments. Now, with them moving to a three-day format including day zero, they can focus more on the work again, and less of Paige's saccharine perkiness.

S&C are actually an integral part of the series since they are the stylists, even if they work with people off-camera, so they're not just random people hosting the show. Whatever TLC's problems are, it's not that all shows have "hosts" it's just that they ran a profitable franchise into the ground with overexposure and now they're trying to resuscitate the corpse. Doesn't mean all series are on the same life support.

chillinstylin

chillinstylin

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 2:44 PM

Host or no host, old or new host, the ratings have become a skidmark on cable televisions underpants. Hostless or not maybe we now know the secret why the first host did 10 pilots and left .Maybe he knew something we didn't. The numbers were huge in season one and grew steadily. He left right after Steve left and Steve originally hired him. Maybe he's the Heather Locklear to Steve Schwartz Aaron Spelling, LOL (joking) Roger Marmet tooks Steve Scwartz job when Steve went to "E" and the Style channel. Then with Roger Marmet and producer Michael Klein at the helm the show failed miserably.Stacy, I do not like to watch, it's like watchnig extreme surgery while eating pasta and uncooked chicken. Clinton is just an empty shell of a man/boy to me. Peter Pan like and balding and shrieking in the lingerie dept does not make me a very excited viewer.

Edited by chillinstylin, Jan 28, 2005 @ 2:49 PM.

Celina

Celina

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2005 @ 3:31 PM

I would never assume that had Wayne stayed on WTNW that the show's ratings would have held. In fact, I believe they'd have fallen more drastically.

As someone already pointed out, Clinton and Stacey are not "hosts." They are the stylists who actually conduct the fashion make-overs. Getting rid of them would make about as much sense as getting rid of Nick and having the MO cut and color her/his own hair.

I love Clinton and believe the show has much improved since his introduction. He's well dressed and well groomed, is kind and gentle to the MO and has a great sense of humor. All wonderful traits in my mind.

WNTW, like Trading Spaces and other reality-based how-to shows is very formulaic, and therein lies the problem. Ratings will naturally slip when the formula is no longer fresh. The same thing's going to eventually happen to Mr. Ty "I'VE GOT A BULLHORN" Pennington and his overly sappy home makeover show.

beeg, a big Word! to your entire post. Well said.

Edited by Celina, Jan 30, 2005 @ 10:23 AM.