What Not to Wear (US)

• Please log in to reply

17846 replies to this topic

Mimi10022

Mimi10022

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 5:04 PM

Seriously, they are in NY there is no reason these shoppers shouldn't make at least one stop at Century 21, ah the things you could do with 5K in that store.

The reason is time. It takes a lot more time to go through the racks at Century 21 and find something great than it does to do the same at Bloomingdales.

kimmako

kimmako

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 7:51 PM

And the stylists don't go through first? I know that we've seen the hosts on both shows pull out a huge rack of stuff at times. Especially for the more clueless MOs.

serendipity

serendipity

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:13 PM

I'm thinking the time (and general stress of the process) issue IS why they don't show them hitting outlets, etc. Yeah, there are great bargains to be found, but this show isn't about finding bargains, it's (purportedly) about putting together a wardrobe that fits the MO's body and lifestyle.

They just have such a limited time to do that in, and even shopping in the most expensive stores, it seems like it takes all of two days to spend the money, and the MO is emotionally and physically exhausted. You could shop two days at outlets and only come up with three or four appropriate items, much less a cohesive wardrobe. (not that this show has EVER been that great at giving the MO's pieces that are really versatile and interchangable).

All that said, WOOHOO for outlet shopping! It's da bomb! And I do think The Look For Less is a fun show, in general, esp. since my job and activities allow for wearing cheaper quality clothing.

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:51 PM

Have they ever been to Daffy's? Man - why oh why did I only find that 6 hours before my plane took off from NY! I already suck at speed shopping - but trying on clothes fast when it's hot and humid? Everything sticks and pulls against your skin...and you're lucky it you can get it all the way on.

Who was on last night's show? It was a repeat, I presume.

absolutelyisis

absolutelyisis

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 10:56 PM

Not a repeat, a beer-loving guy who wore bar shirts and blue jeans a lot. Carmindy had nothing to do, so she sent him to get a pedicure - his feet were nasty, and we got to see them. Eww!

scarletsmith

scarletsmith

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 11:18 PM

Not a repeat, a beer-loving guy who wore bar shirts and blue jeans a lot. Carmindy had nothing to do, so she sent him to get a pedicure - his feet were nasty, and we got to see them. Eww!

I'd seen this one before. Those were some nasty-looking toes the MO had. And that moose shirt was truly asstastic.

I swear, though, if Stacy plays to the camera one more time, I may have to find soft things to throw. Her mugging was really distracting.

lilya

lilya

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 11:27 PM

Ya, definitely a repeat, and not a particularly good one either.

A beer drinkin' guy with a jealous girlfriend.....who ends up wearing only one good reveal outfit (the monochromatic black with leather jacket) that my grandmother could've put together in her sleep in any mens' store in the USA. Yawn.

Ingresgumball

Ingresgumball

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 11:29 PM

Oh right, that little twinkie with the fungus among 'is toes. He cleaned up pretty good, I guess.

serendipity

serendipity

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 11:49 PM

On one hand that guy was funny. On the other hand, he really annoyed me. I don't think he was that great a catch, and his girlfriend really deserved better. Not a fave ep of mine, either, although I do think he ended up looking great.

redhatch

redhatch

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 11:58 PM

Stacy totally looked like a made-up corpse while Scruffy was modeling his new clothes. Seriously, she needs to lay off on the blush.

isabella19

isabella19

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 9:48 AM

Didn't love the guy. And got a strong feeling that he was gonna dump the girlfriend as soon as the camera stopped rolling. I didn't get the impression he was one of those MOs who are complicit in the makeover. I thought he looked pissed the whole way through. Gave her the Look of Death a couple of times during the friends and family reveal.

StarryDreamer

StarryDreamer

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:37 PM

Um... is it just me or did Niya try out for American Idol? I swear there's a girl in the commercials that looks exactly like her. Am I nuts?

lostintheozone

lostintheozone

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:47 PM

I would watch this show if everyone actually looked good in what the what not wear hosts style...

By that logic...every woman needs pointy toed heels of death...(even though they are like from three seasons ago...even Katie Couric one season too late isn't wearing them this year....) hooker make up....and tight sweaters with bullet bras...last popular in 1959....

and all guys look great in Don Ho shirts and chinos...(did I just say that........)

Hailey

Hailey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 9:36 AM

Was this the first of the new episodes moved to Wednesday nights? Will it still be on Fridays? So very confused.

I only saw the first part, but that furry scrunchie actually made me laugh. Lady, if an accessory is surrounded by Hello Kitty stuff in the store, you are in the wrong section. Step away slowly...

Edited by Hailey, Jan 8, 2004 @ 9:36 AM.

ItalianKiss

ItalianKiss

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:18 AM

That wasn't a new episode last night at 8. I think it originally aired 2 weeks ago, maybe? I was confused too, because i thought NEW eps were going to air wednesdays. It looks like they will still air Friday night and play repeats wed.

raramama

raramama

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 11:57 AM

Was this the first of the new episodes moved to Wednesday nights? Will it still be on Fridays? So very confused.

I always catch on Saturday afternoons (1pm central time). It's always the same as the late late night one they shown on Friday, though.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:10 PM

It looks like the Wednesday airing (at least for the time being) will be a repeat of the Friday show (which is new this Friday). But it also looks like Date Patrol has permanently moved to the Wednesday slot because TLC is premiering a new DIY program called In a Fix this Saturday.

My guess is that TLC is readying another show to assume the Friday slot but is keeping both airings of What Not to Wear to keep maximum viewership. Advertise the Wednesday change during the Friday viewings for people who don't watch all the DIY shows. Then in February debut a new program in the Friday slot.

Edited by vallegirl, Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:10 PM.

barkley

barkley

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 1:36 AM

This was a good show but the MO bugged me to no end. Lose the Valley Girl way of speaking!

I liked the design boards and I'm so happy they mentioned necklines. It looks like they are getting better about being instructional.

techgirl

techgirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 9:00 AM

I thought last night (Dallas girl who only wears mens clothing) was great.

What was wonderful was that the camera crew caught the exact point where the lightbulb went off and she thought "oh my, I actually DO look better dressed this way". So many of the episodes go from "I make bad choices" to "I made good choices" and don't show that slow turn to the "good". In fact, it was funny that for a change, C&S didn't have to go rushing in because she was trying on or buying the wrong thing. In this case she was doing everything right and just taking a break from shopping to look at housewares.

I still wish they would spend a bit more time having Carmindy show what she is doing... last night, she was showing the MO how to fill in her overwaxed brows and they showed her mixing three shades of something brown but I couldn't catch whether it was brow pencil, dark shadow, or what. That always irks me... I want to catch ALL the tips!

Peanutbuttercup

Peanutbuttercup

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 9:50 AM

I hope Alisha bought the red v-neck sweater that she was wearing with the suede (?) skirt on the first day of shopping. The first skirt she really fell in love with. I thought the top looked absolutely wonderful on her, but I never saw it again.

crazy_girl

crazy_girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 2:02 PM

I thought this girl turned out cute but I was mighty annoyed by her at some times. It's like she thought she was terribly terribly funny but wasn't really at all.

Tiggy6

Tiggy6

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 8:06 PM

I liked this gal much better before her make-over - especially the part about wearing uncomfortable shoes for the sake of fashion. Then to see that she wore those pointy thin boots - Doll! What happened?

MadeInCanada

MadeInCanada

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2004 @ 10:50 PM

I actually really liked Alisha last night. At first I thought I was going to find her incredibly annoying, but after seeing her shopping I thought she was great. I loved her reaction realizing she looked good in "girl clothes" and that she really liked them.
I really like her new look. Very very cute.

Melonade

Melonade

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:43 AM

I liked this MO, but I can't wait for next week. Was Stacey in tears?!

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 10:57 AM

Yes she was. Her eyes were all moist and glistening and she seemed to be expressing a genuine human emotion. Gepetto, look! The mannequin has become a real, live girl.

Tiggy6

Tiggy6

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 4:15 PM

Did anyone catch the part during the MO's fashion show when Stacey's mouth was like completely frozen in an "O" shape? MOST comical!

Celina

Celina

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:37 PM

Carmindy, for the love of God, please stop telling people they have "long, lanky hair." It's truly, truly maddening. Don't you ever look in the mirror, woman?

Did I say I worship at Nick's feet? Oh, I did? About 100 times already? Mkay.

Good episode. Lovely MO, but, living in Dallas myself, I had to cringe at the El Fenix reveal. Blech, horrid place. Loved the at-home reveal ... the kid's reactions were priceless.

Navelgazer

Navelgazer

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 7:59 PM

Alisha totally bugged in the beginning with her bitching and whining (I wanted to slap her silly...I mean, she has $5000 to spend!). Some of her criticisms of Clinton and Stacey's mannequin looks were valid, but she was so obstinate and snotty that it seemed she was completely unwilling to compromise. She did win me over later when the lightbulb flashed and she realized how great she looked in skirts. I thought it was very telling after the family reveal, when her family commented that she had rarely smiled before, but was now all smiley and happy since she had so much more confidence about her appearance.

I thought the MO's haircut was super cute. Hats off to Nick. She looked a lot like that smiley chick on Good Morning Miami (I've never seen the show, but I've seen the ads). I also wished that they described in more detail what Carmindy used for her brows...on the TLC website they list the makeup products, but don't really explain what was done for the brows. It made a huge difference.

I liked the interior design approach that Stacey and Clinton took when explaining the rules to Alisha (the illustrations of different necklines, the swatches of different patterns and fabrics). Stacey's lame attempted interior design metaphors throughout the show got old fast, however.

As for the clothes, I loved the red sweater set with the denim skirt and knee-high boots she wore as part of her show-Clinton-and-Stacey fashion show. The pointy red shoes...eh. They seemed difficult to me, because they overwhelm the outfit and don't really mesh with it well. I also didn't care for the white blazer...it made her look larger rather than smaller. The flowy patterned shirt didn't flatter her very much either...the empire waist was strange. I think she does better with more fitted tops.

Hailey

Hailey

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:35 AM

I wish they would have pointed out that she looked about 25 lbs lighter when she wore clothes that fit. I'm sure she figured that out for herself, but a little positive reinforcement would have helped her poor self-image. This show lacks usable tips most of the time, and "over-sized clothes make you look heavier. See how much thinner you look when you wear the right size!" would actually be useful.

Edited by Hailey, Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:36 AM.

noodnix

noodnix

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 10:42 AM

I liked this MO for the most part. However, I wasn't loving the white/creme coloured blazer. IT didnt' fit her correctly and just hung in all the wrong places. I liked the red blouse and sweater outfit. That one I think looked the best on her. I wasn't too impressed with the patterned blouse either. I think it ballooned out in the wrong places as well.

As for the attitude, like some of you said, the obstinate attitude at the beginning was rubbing me raw. I mean - hello - these people are experts, why don't you listen and give it a try? It's like she just shut them out. But I did like the turn around in her outlook on the whole process as she learned that she did look like a girl and has a figure.

The haircut, I thought it was okay. I actually thought she looked okay with longer hair, it just needed a little bit of style. IMO - Nick keeps on doing the same type of haircuts to me.

Carmindy - whoever said that she should stop making comments about the hanging hair, yes she should take a look in the mirror before saying something to these MOs. The way she fixed her eyebrows, that was great. I need to learn how to do that - the fill. I need also to see exactly how to shape them. The makeup looked pretty good on her and it made her smile which was definitely a good thing.