Admit it. You Canít Stand The View

• Please log in to reply

112705 replies to this topic

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 02:34 PM

Is it just me or does that Steele cohost (is that her name?) always seem to have a huge stick up her ass?

I was surprised to see that Tarragon or whatever she calls herself,  didn't jump in yesterday when Billo  said he was concerned about all the African-American girls and how their culture is so damaging.  Isn't Steel raising a couple of  Black girls?  Does she think they need Billo to save them from Beyoncé?   I would have expected her to be particularly insulted by Bill's "poor black girls" remarks.   It makes sense that she doesn't like Colbert - his character is a direct satire on Bill the loofah lover O'Reilly,  

But I found Sherri's rant almost as ridiculous and senseless; something about Beyoncé empowering all the single ladies, that's her "anthem" when she was single and now she's married so her anthem (huh?) is empowering married ladies and showing how to keep a husband.   All I really got is Sherri is a Beyoncé fan and her word of the day calendar yesterday was anthem. 

edited to correct the spelling of loofah because  spelling is important when I'm insulting someone

Edited by Cosmocrush, Yesterday, 04:31 PM.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 03:06 PM

I'm not sure how Single Ladies   is empowering to women, it can also be interpreted as telling men to stake out and claim their territory by "putting a ring on IT".

susieq147

susieq147

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 03:21 PM

But I found Sherri's rant almost as ridiculous and senseless; something about Beyoncé empowering all the single ladies, that's her "anthem" when she was single and now she's married so her anthem (huh/) is empowering married ladies and showing how to keep a husband.   All I really got is Sherri is a Beyoncé fan and her word of the day calendar yesterday was anthem. 

I'm going to need some context for this since I no longer watch this show.  Is Sherri saying Beyoncé's music is all about how wives can keep their husbands?  Jesus why is Sherri always so focused on "getting" a man, "keeping" a man, satisfying a man?  Her anthem seems to be "I need a man".

I'm not sure how Single Ladies   is empowering to women, it can also be interpreted as telling men to stake out and claim their territory by "putting a ring on IT".

That is what I thought the song was about.

CathinAZ

CathinAZ

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 03:40 PM

Interesting quote from Cindy Adams' daily column in The New York Post today:

"The world hustling to get interviewed by Barbara Walters before her last view on “The View.” Even Chris Cuomo offered to make himself available."

Adams is a very good friend of Barbara's - I'm sure she appreciates the column making it sound like so many A - listers are asking to be on in Barbara's final days as a cohost. Wonder how true that is? With their 4 day work week and pretaping the last day or two, barbara only has about 14 days more to be "live" in front of a camera!

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 03:44 PM

Adams is a very good friend of Barbara's - I'm sure she appreciates the column making it sound like so many A - listers are asking to be on in Barbara's final days as a cohost. Wonder how true that is? With their 4 day work week and pretaping the last day or two, barbara only has about 14 days more to be "live" in front of a camera!

I think is all engineered B.S. at the hands of the great "massager", Cindy Adams!!!

maryis

maryis

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 03:44 PM

Put a ring on it = marry me because I'm not that kind of girl. And if someone beats you to it, it's your loss.

Bossa Nova

Bossa Nova

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 03:51 PM

"The world hustling to get interviewed by Barbara Walters before her last view on “The View.” Even Chris Cuomo offered to make himself available."

What utter bullshit. Then where are the interviews? The countdown to Barbara's final day is now. No wait, it has been for months.

So where are the A-listers ? 

Poor dear Cindy Adams is confusing all this with Johnny Carson and Oprah's final months. There indeed were people lining up to be on those shows. 

This weeks's guests. I have my microscope out looking for the A-listers. Maybe Morgan F ? I see a sea of guests from the Who Cares List.

• Tuesday - Guest co-host Margaret Hoover; guest Morgan Freeman
  • Wednesday - Guest co-host Sage Steele (GAG); guests Bill O'Reilly
  • Thursday - Guest co-host Darby Stanchfield ("Scandal"), guestsWendy Williams ("The Wendy Williams Show"); Steve Schirripa("Karma’s a B*tch!"); Susan LucciAna Ortiz and Roselyn Sanchez("Devious Maids").
  • Friday - Guest co-host Lindsay Lohan; guests Marisa Tomei(Broadway’s "The Realistic Jonses"); Anika Noni RoseMekhi Phiferand Tichina Arnold ("A Day Late and a Dollar Short"); Marc Summers(Food Network’s "Rewrapped")

Edited by Bossa Nova, Yesterday, 03:54 PM.

Former Nun

Former Nun

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 04:36 PM

I don't know if we've ever seen such a blowback on the panel about him - a frequent guest of the show. Usually they fawn over him but this time Whoopi - and even Barbara, I think, was having none of that. 

I looked at that segment again and again--when BillO walked to their stage.  It looked like Whoopi put her hand out to shake his...but he didn't shake hers.  Any confirmation?

Did Granny actually hit Sherri on the nose earlier or just close?

I rewound the show on my DVR and played it in slo-mo.  Not only did she NOT hit Sherri, it didn't even look close!  Sherri's overacting may merit an Emmy.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 04:36 PM

The world hustling to get interviewed by Barbara Walters before her last view on “The View.” Even Chris Cuomo offered to make himself available."           

Hahaha!   Chris Cuomo?  That ex-abc news know-it-all has been on this show a hundred times. 

As for "the world" wanting to do this show that might be true if by "the world" Adams is referring to a steady stream of reality show cast members and C/D list celebs.   I don't think any real A-listers are pounding down her door now.  They have mostly fled years ago. 

maryis

maryis

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 05:00 PM

Cindy Adams has been Barbara's friend for ever and ever. Lately, Barbara has been giving shout outs to her. So Cindy is just doing the same for BW. Cindy Adams, by the way, has been washed up and out of touch for years. Cindy used to wield power in the gossip game but technology, younger writers, etc. have long passed her by. Adams is another legend in her own mind. Is one of the ladies who lunch and get recognized.

Edited by maryis, Yesterday, 05:15 PM.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 06:39 PM

Is Sherri saying Beyoncé's music is all about how wives can keep their husbands? 

My Sherri-speak decoder isn't as sharp as my Bitsy decoder was but I think she was saying that Beyoncé's Drunk in Love video (and probably the racey Partition music video too) are okay by her because Beyoncé is married.   Which I think makes about as much sense as O'Reilly's creepy obsession with all the sex depictions in Beyoncé videos.   

It seemed to me that everyone except Whoopi, but especially Sherri, missed the whole point: Bill O'Reilly doesn't really care about raunchy music videos or the future of little Black girls in America.    As usual, O'Reilly is taking a controversial subject, attaching a big name to it and making it a monologue about race.  He makes comments designed to incite saying things like  Beyoncé influences (African American) girls who, "don't have responsible parents."    WTF?  That's quite the leap. 

Beyoncé doesn't need Sherri Shepherd to defend her.  I don't need Sherri Shepherd to explain Beyoncé to me either.  Personally, I think her music videos are classless.  I found her 7:00 pm Grammy performance horrifying due to the show and time.  I don't think they are worse than Miley Cyrus and company though.    But then I'm old enough to remember being young when old  men were blathering on about Madonna and her sexual/pseudo religious themed videos and Tipper Gore founded the Parents Music Resource to label all the music that mentioned drugs.  Just another Bill O'Reilly stunt to talk about while he is out shilling his history (really Bill? ) book. 

Edited by Cosmocrush, Yesterday, 06:42 PM.

ginger90

ginger90

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 06:49 PM

"Even Chris Cuomo offered to make himself available."           

Even what does that even mean??? Wouldn't that suggest someone of great interest, a real higher up, an until now untouchable? Or at least close?

On the bright side, I thought Whoopi looked good today!!

Former Nun

Former Nun

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 08:53 PM

Is Sherri trying to claw her way into some inner showbiz circle by defending various stars and celebrities?   She's going to embarrassing lengths to get invited to the Kardashian wedding...and I'm not convinced it's just good clean schtick.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 08:53 PM

I noticed that too ginger (although I haven't made it past the first few minutes today.)  She seemed to be wearing a real jacket or something that wasn't her usual floppy bedsheet over white shirt attire.   Her teeth seem whiter (I guess she really did quit smoking) and she's losing some weight.   But mostly, I think she's just happy that Babs will gone in a matter of weeks.  I know I am. 

Edited by Cosmocrush, Yesterday, 08:58 PM.

CousinAmy

CousinAmy

Video Archivist

Posted Yesterday, 09:08 PM

During Wendy Williams' segment, wherein she was discussing her new "book", she was describing the book's plot. Her protagonist is a single black woman who was "down with the swirl". Of course, Barbara needed an explanation as to what that meant, and Wendy said she made it up. Huh? That term has been around for a minute, hasn't it? As far as I know, it's been a term since at least 2009, right?

It may have been around for a minute, but I've been around for a lot longer than that, and I've never heard the term. 

Sherri used the idea of "Put a Ring On It" when emphasizing that Beyonce was married - which seems way more of interest to Sherri than to anyone else. Still, if Bill O was going to rail about Beyonce's influence on young girls, which he did, she was explaining that Beyonce waited till she was married to have a baby. 

But mostly, I think she's just happy that Babs will gone in a matter of weeks.  I know I am. 

I don't see this at all. I think there is mutual respect and affection between Whoopi and Barbara. Whoopi has never, in my recollection, "rolled her eyes" or denigrated Barbara at all. 

Having watched Barbara Walters for more than half a century, I have to say that I still appreciate her insights and her memories. She's an interesting woman who has led a fascinating life. 

And it was Sherri who swung and, just out of camera view, hit Barbara on the nose. 

Edited by CousinAmy, Yesterday, 09:14 PM.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 09:32 PM

Did  they give an explanation of "down with the swirl?" And what was Barbara's response. I did watch today but evidently tuned that out with Sherri's reading an excerpt like 50 Shades of Grey.

Urban Dictionary defines the expression as "when a white person likes  black ppl or the other way around (sexually of course)" And that was from 2004.

Good grief - seems to me people can be attracted to lots of people not based on color.

Can't imagine A-listers waiting to be interviewed by BW with her behavior - unless they are VERY confident they can hold their own or are forced to do so to promote something. Although good wishes on tape will probably be prominent. LOL, Chris Cuomo is an A-lister?

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 10:50 PM

Did  they give an explanation of "down with the swirl?" And what was Barbara's response. I did watch today but evidently tuned that out with Sherri's reading an excerpt like 50 Shades of Grey.

maggie, "the swirl" refers to the soft serve ice cream cones that combine vanilla and chocolate ice cream into a single "swirl."  In other words, couples of one Black person and one white person.  Babs said, "What? and Sherri used her unique gibberish sign language to say that meant she (the book character) was "swimming in the vanilla river."  Huh? So Babs asked, "I am so out of it that I've never heard of 'down with the swirl?" and Wendy explained she made it up.  Then Whoopi let Babs know she'd (Babs) has been down with the swirl too, noting the revelations in Audition.  To which Babs replied, "I don't wish to discuss it."  And everyone laughed.  It was actually one of the lighter moments of the interview.   But then I like Wendy. 

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 10:53 PM

Thanks Cosmocrush.....

Talented Tenth

Talented Tenth

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 12:04 AM

Beyoncé doesn't need Sherri Shepherd to defend her.  I don't need Sherri Shepherd to explain Beyoncé to me either.  Personally, I think her music videos are classless.  I found her 7:00 pm Grammy performance horrifying due to the show and time.

That's one opinion, but I really don't get bill's gripe.  Beyonce's song "Drunk In Love" is about having sex with her husband.  In what world is that supposed to be a bad thing?  Has bill criticized every other person who has a song about making love with a spouse?  The bad influence Beyonce has (according to bill) is sending a message that married people have sex?

Muir

Muir

Loyal Viewer

Posted Today, 12:22 AM

Even Chris Cuomo offered to make himself available."

Maybe she means a CNN guy because I can't think of any other reason to use even (he's not exactly George Clooney).

I will say this about Babs. She always seems to do much better away from this set. I don't know why but she can think on her feet and seems much more lucid away from this crew. 

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Today, 01:08 AM

No shit!   I want that jacket she was wearing.  

She's definitely dropped some weight, dressing nicer, and it looks good on her.

WHY did they have to repeat the Jenny/Sherri screamfest from yesterday? 

And then BW asks if she had heard from  any Exes. What the hell?  Who asks that when someone gets engaged? 

Edited by backformore, Today, 01:33 AM.

Stacee1

Stacee1

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 02:03 AM

CosmoCrush: It seemed to me that everyone except Whoopi, but especially Sherri, missed the whole point: Bill O'Reilly doesn't really care about raunchy music videos or the future of little Black girls in America.    As usual, O'Reilly is taking a controversial subject, attaching a big name to it and making it a monologue about race.  He makes comments designed to incite saying things like  Beyoncé influences (African American) girls who, "don't have responsible parents."    WTF?  That's quite the leap.

Thank you, CosmoCrush. I agree - and will take it further: I think when Obama leaves office, BillO will suddenly forget his faux-outrage over issues about Black teens getting pregnant. I think he's clamped onto something that many in his audience can get outraged about while secretly blaming that particular demographic for all the troubles in the world. This is also something he can subtly point to Pres. Obama and the First Lady and wonder why they haven't put an end to it. Yes, Whoopi got it, Whoopi knows it - and I'm relieved she did not allow Bill's blame game to go unchallenged. And  I don't think it's an accident he picked Beyoncé; she's a supporter of Pres. Obama and he is trying to take her down a notch.

Thing is, Whoopi actually used to like Bill (or at least that was the impression I got years ago). I don't always agree with Whoopi and feel her hosting on  job on The View has been abysmal but I will say I do for the most part trust her judgment in people. Bill has shown her he's an ass, and it's clear she sees it and have had a change of heart about him.

Jeanolo

Jeanolo

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 08:58 AM

You guys are the best. You watch these shows and try to explain the inanity in a sane matter. With humor and snark. Often, I watch bits and pieces, while I record it (hoping for an epic moment). I saw the BW hit Sherri/Sherri hit BW thing go by so fast, and you guys analyzed it so I don't have to watch. So sad that these moments get more interest than whatever junk was dribbling out of their mouths at the time. It looked like Sherri acted like Barbara hit her ... and we have chronicled the many times that BW's claws flail around, with Sherri being in the line of fire, so to speak. Maybe she reacted that way out of habit.

Yeah, I thought that Whoopi used to like Bill O. Guess she had a change of heart. He's a pompous windbag, and I take what he has to say with a grain or two of salt. He's playing a character, like they all do. Underneath, though, I suspect he's a jerk. Haven't we moved beyond "black teen pregnancies" to just "teen pregnancies?" It is 2014, ya know. Aren't we concerned with all teen pregnancies? Plenty of white gals, etc., birthing babies. Maybe President Obama could do more, but I also think Bush and any other President should have a stand on the issue and address the root causes for all people in this country. It's a universal issue. In this day and age, not much to do with race, except in general terms, and general terms aren't always very useful.

This show is so lame when it comes to discussing issues that have been debated for decades. This is where I DO fault Barbara. She lived and reported all through the sixties, the seventies, the eighties, etc. etc. "We" thought we had come to a national consensus on lots of issues. Women have rights. Blacks have rights. Now homosexuals have rights. There is a theme here. Humans have rights!!. Now "we" see these issues trivialized, trotted out as wrong. It's like "we" have to reinvent the toaster (hah) all over again! Deja vu and all that. Barbara acts like she is discussing women in the workplace for the first time!! Do we have to defend equal pay for the same job? Really? The half-wits at the table can't discuss a semi-complicated issue for the life of them! Even Barbara, due to age, or whatever, sounds stupid and ill-informed.

It just goes along with the overall dumbing down and fluffing up of the show. Jenny is a nice enough gal, but has no sense of history at all, and little understanding of "women's issues." After that display of teenage excitement over her engagement and of course the honkin' ring (because that is important, right? The size of the ring, the type of stone, the cut, color, and clarity, the resale, er, retail value. It's correlated to the love the man feels for the woman. Or the size of her breasts. Not sure) I'm mostly over Jenny. She can't contribute much of anything I would find useful in any way.

Same goes for Sherri. She is loving the "haters" thing. She is feeding off the negative energy of twitter. I guess it motivates her to "show us." It shows us, all right. I see her clearly, and again, she has nothing to offer me, as a viewer.

Whoopi is the best of the bunch. I'll leave it at that.

Morgalisa

Morgalisa

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 10:01 AM

She said on Wendy's show that she had lost 30 pounds with Rocco's program.  Sherri, on the other hand, appears to be gaining weight.  I am not surprised after seeing her eat in the cooking segments. 

susieq147

susieq147

Fanatic

Posted Today, 10:43 AM

She said on Wendy's show that she had lost 30 pounds with Rocco's program.  Sherri, on the other hand, appears to be gaining weight.  I am not surprised after seeing her eat in the cooking segments. 

Isn't it ironic how Sherri who flaunted her weight loss and IMO had an overall obnoxious attitude about it might be putting it back on but Whoopi who seemed to be quietly following a diet plan is losing weight?  There is a lesson here.

susieq147

susieq147

Fanatic

Posted Today, 10:50 AM

Same goes for Sherri. She is loving the "haters" thing. She is feeding off the negative energy of twitter. I guess it motivates her to "show us." It shows us, all right. I see her clearly, and again, she has nothing to offer me, as a viewer.

I agree Jeanolo. If Sherri thinks she is showing the "haters" anything, it is how IMO she does not like being criticized or even disagreed with.  She is an actress/comedienne.  Has been for years.  She should be able to take negative reviews and learn from them.  And for the people that say nasty hateful things to her, then she should just ignore them.