Admit it. You Canít Stand The View

• Please log in to reply

112862 replies to this topic

parisgal3

parisgal3

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

This was the first episodes I've seen in its entirety in quite a while, thanks to the Downton cast! McGovern always seems to stand or sit awkwardly that I've seen, so I don't think today was unusual.

I loved how fangirly Joy was, she actually seemed happy to be at work today. Jim Carter is so charming, I could watch him being interviewed all day long and he made me look up again this fabulous video that was posted last Christmas: A Carson Christmas

About hot topics, I am with Whoopi and Joy that the assignment about writing down what you don't like about yourself was a good one. Kids think about that stuff anyway, this is one way for them to put it out there, maybe realize that it's not as bad as they think, or that others feel the same way about themselves, or if it's really bad, it alerts someone. You can't keep that stuff inside! Elisabeth and her pearl clutching over it had me rolling my eyes.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

I think today might be the day that ABC executives have a meeting about Barbara Walters. When discussing Kim K., she actually said, "Genitalia is for men. Women don't have genitalia."

Hahahaa! I missed the show today but this is awesome.

BookThief

BookThief

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

About hot topics, I am with Whoopi and Joy that the assignment about writing down what you don't like about yourself was a good one. Kids think about that stuff anyway, this is one way for them to put it out there, maybe realize that it's not as bad as they think, or that others feel the same way about themselves, or if it's really bad, it alerts someone. You can't keep that stuff inside! Elisabeth and her pearl clutching over it had me rolling my eyes.

Are you me? This is exactly what I was yelling at the TV. Elisabeth only wanted the students to focus on all the sparkly, wonderful things in their lives--sometimes it ain't like that. I'm not against thinking about the good, but apparently the suicide rate there is quite high. I think it's great this teacher isn't ignoring the issue--he's facing it head on with his students. This assignment might make them think critically about their lives, the lives of others, and may increase empathy for themselves/others. And it may help them learn about warning signs and help save lives of people who think suicide is their only option. Talking about the issue and making it a focus of conversation could potentially help people. We wouldn't want any of that now, would we, Elisabeth!? No, just shove those horrible feelings you have about yourself/others deep inside and write about rainbows and lollipops!

LilyRoseM

LilyRoseM

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Elizabeth McGovern kept leaning waaaay to the left during the interview with her & Hugh Bonneville & again when the other cast members came out. Wonder what's up with that -- she looked like she had a "condition" -- really bad body language.

I noticed this behavior as well, but then recalled than numerous comments have been made about Whoopi leaning over at her end of the couch during conversations in just the same manner.. I've come to the conclusion that both women were in that position to get a better look at the one or ones seated in the center of the couch. I would like to give both the benefit of the doubt..lol

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

I noticed this behavior as well, but then recalled than numerous comments have been made about Whoopi leaning over at her end of the couch during conversations in just the same manner.. I've come to the conclusion that both women were in that position to get a better look at the one or ones seated in the center of the couch. I would like to give both the benefit of the doubt..lol

Actually, LilyRoseM, Whoopi's leaning has more to do with disinterest/apathy than trying to see the other side of the couch. IMHO.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Yes, Elisabeth is rainbows and lollipops. Until it comes to politics and FOD. Let's pretend!

To think that teenagers are not aware of teenage suicide is niave - even if they are healthy they hear about it or it happens to a school student or friend of a cousin, etc.

I suppose a lot of it could be from many different causes - their homelife, or being bullied, breakups, abuse etc. And these are things so many kids are not able to talk about to their parents.

I'm thinking Ann Hathaway won't be promotes "Les" anytime on their show. No one mentioned there are ways to enter and exit a car, iirc.

And yikes BW on only men have genitalia!

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

Okay, okay, I guess I am going to have to catch this episode after all. Sounds like it was a good one snark wise. But sorry Babs, I won't be watching you hound Secretary Clinton for some exclusive scoop on 2016 - luckily the Concert for Sandy Relief is on instead so I won't even be tempted. Besides she will tell us all about it tomorrow anyway.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

I'm thinking Ann Hathaway won't be promotes "Les" anytime on their show. No one mentioned there are ways to enter and exit a car, iirc.

Eh, Ann's an attention-craving fame-whore. She'll be back. There are some that even speculate that the flash was deliberate. The dress looks too baggy for her supposed excuse to work.

I wonder whether Babs' "most fascinating" pick of Petraeus will get any play tomorrow, given Bitsy's feelings for the guy.

Theodora69

Theodora69

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

I think today might be the day that ABC executives have a meeting about Barbara Walters. When discussing Kim K., she actually said, "Genitalia is for men. Women don't have genitalia."

The only time the ABC execs are going to talk about Barbara is when the ratings fall on her specials. Furthermore, she knows it and that is why she keeps pushing her specials ad nauseum. These specials are what keep her relevant to her "friends" and celebrities. Other celebrities push their stuff too but Barbara does it to an extreme and has become totally obnoxious.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

Hey, maybe we can be the 'go to place' for the 4am Hot Topics news guy fave research site. If I remember, Ann did like a lot of press that she received for wearing a black dress to an event only to discover the camera flash emphasized the shear fabric and her lack of bra.

She innocently thought they just like her. She made it. She was becoming famous.

Pepperbird

Pepperbird

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

I don't know if Barbara's special will have a forum, but since she will probably talk about it on the View, maybe I can note here that I very much admired her elegant cocktail dress and sparkly rose pin. Hre figure was flattered, and the ruffles were a very feminine counterpoint to the severe black color of the dress.

HIllary impressed me again--as she gets older she gets more relaxed and open, I think. and she seems to be a great gal. If only she could become a grandmother--that status would soften her and help her become more contented with her personal life, I think. I was hoping Barbara would ask her about Chelsea, since the girl is well-educated and married. But growing up, Chelsea was fiercely protected by the Clintons, and seems to be having a hard time deciding what to be or making decisions about her future. If Hillary would lighten up and stop protecting Chelsea, it would make both of them more relaxed and "real". Right now, only Bill C projects imself as a full-rounded human being. I do like Hillary, although I don't always trust her.

The clips of Honey Boo-Boo were funny and so uplifting. She reminds me of the kids on old-fashioned "Our Gang" shows--precocious and wise for her age, energetic and sunny.---

The gal who wrote "FIFty Shades of Gray" seemed like a hoot too. The possible reason that woman are buying the book: secret enjoyment of shame

Edited by Pepperbird, Dec 13, 2012 @ 3:24 AM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

The gal who wrote "FIFty Shades of Gray" seemed like a hoot too. The possible reason that woman are buying the book: secret enjoyment of shame

I approve of having E.L. James on the special because the popularity of her books really were a fascinating phenomenon this year. I just hope/wish Barbara and others don't continue to keep promoting this fallacy about "Isn't it amazing that this unknown fan-fiction writer was able to get her book published? Doesn't it give hope to all the other fan-fiction writers out there?" because well not really. This woman was a television writer/executive before she wrote that fanfic and her husband is a writer/director himself so I'm sure it was a lot easier for her to get her book published than some random writing stuff on the net. Because this is Barbara we are talking about I can almost guarantee that's how the conversation will go.

To think that teenagers are not aware of teenage suicide is niave - even if they are healthy they hear about it or it happens to a school student or friend of a cousin, etc.

I suppose a lot of it could be from many different causes - their homelife, or being bullied, breakups, abuse etc. And these are things so many kids are not able to talk about to their parents.

I don't know how big a problem teen suicide is in France but it's a big problem here in the States so anybody thinking that teens aren't already aware and talking about it is really fooling themselves.

Celebs still come on this show all the time are the panel talks about them in Hot Topics. I don't know why but they do. I doubt Anne Hathaway would have much of a choice anyway because I imagine she's contracted to do certain press for this movie.

Barbara was particularly stuttery this episode. She is really starting to go way past her expiration date. Even Regis knew when to quit.

Edited by Turkish, Dec 13, 2012 @ 12:05 AM.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

Seriously, Petraeus is the most fascinating?

Watching the concert - Whoopi is there, even on air right now. PST

Bon Jovi complemented Chris Christi - and didn't even say or allude that he is fat.

BW and Bill really need an intervention.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 2:04 AM

These specials are what keep her relevant to her "friends" and celebrities.

When Babs was telling the audience SHE just interviewed the President of the United States [and therefore above all the bra talk] I liked that Whoopi reminded her she also just interviewed Honey Boo Boo. Ha!

Elisabeth's strange outfits continued today [Wednesday] with her sparkly version of a Lt. Uhura costume and her sock bun. What the hell Bits? Did you lose a bet?

Edited by Cosmocrush, Dec 13, 2012 @ 2:04 AM.

Pepperbird

Pepperbird

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 3:19 AM

It's hard not to like Sherri when she's laughing at herself, like after her French class gaff. Honest jolliness.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 3:31 AM

The French teacher thing was funny Pepperbird - probably because it seemed genuine and not scripted. Everyone laughed except Babs who just kept trying to talk over it.

I was hoping Barbara would ask her about Chelsea, since the girl is well-educated and married.

Chelsea Clinton works under contract for NBC News - Babs imagined arch enemy.

Pepperbird

Pepperbird

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 4:02 AM

Seriously, Petraeus is the most fascinating?

I really thought Babs would pick Kate Middleton or the Speaker of the House or Pres Obama to be "most fascinating"--after all, the Prez just won a close election, and he and the Speaker are in tight contention over the fiscal cliff. But Petraeus being the most fascinating?

Was it because he fell so far from untold heights in the opinions of some people? (see Diane Feinstein's praise of the General before it all came out). He had to give up a very high-profile job and his marriage went on the skids, not to mention too that he isn't able to salute his lusty military playgirl in bed anymore. All that would be pretty tough to bear.

But are we fascinated? Like rubberneckers at a slow trainwreck, maybe...

(What do you want to bet that Jill Kelley thought SHE would be the most fascinating? hahahahaha....)

Afterthought: Wouldn't we love to see Fifty Shades of Grey written from a perspective of top General(s) and their (not-) wide-eyed innocent playgirls? A whole new genre of military novel! "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" as a totally revised military slogan!

Edited by Pepperbird, Dec 13, 2012 @ 4:15 AM.

vinyl

vinyl

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 4:10 AM

How exactly is Chelsea Clinton struggling with what to do with her life? Last I heard she was happily married and employed.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

As usual, while discussing Chris Christie's weight, Hasselblech goes off the deep end playing Devil's Advocate by saying everyone should be held to the same standard. Absolutely ridiculous. Not one word out of her mouth makes any sense.
The story about the magazine with, in Hasselblech's opinion, obscene words & pictures being sent to her house & her protecting her children, I'm calling total BULLSHIT.

kaygeeret

kaygeeret

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

A popular morning radio show here in Milwaukee made fun of BW's "fat" question to Chris Christie. THey also played Jimmy Kimmel's bit from last night that made fun of her. They repeated this a couple of times thru out the morning.

Barbara is fast becoming a punch line - again!

Kodiboku

Kodiboku

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

But Petraeus being the most fascinating?

I don't get it at all. A high profile figure has an affair. Oh..Kay..

pachebo

pachebo

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

Anderson Cooper just sorta trashed the BW 10 most fascinating special on his "live" show. This, just after appearing on the show this morning. GOTTA LOVE HIM!

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

I don't get it at all. A high profile figure has an affair. Oh..Kay..

Remember Babs said this "Facinating" list is made up by Sweaty Geddie and herself so there is that. Wait, was Petraus actually on the show because I wonder if Babs and Bill Sweaty Geddie are desperate to get an interview with David Petraus they keep naming him "most facinating" [same spot he had in 2010] and he keeps declining an interview. At least Whoopi did get in a word about last night's big, BIG Sandy Relief Concert if only to let us know she was there and not watching Babs boring special. Heh.

Nothing about the Golden Globe nominations.

Of course today they carried on this shit show's tradition of bashing the guests after the interiew - the entire Chris Christie Not Hot Topic was a mess. But then with Anderson Cooper, they just did it to his face; bringing up six month old "news" about "coming out" [Really, Show?] and asking him about crusty dirty jeans which of course Whoopi was quick to chime in that she doesn't wash her jeans either. I liked the misinformation about him having a fake press pass when he was "little" when the actual truth was he was out of college and starting his career as a war correspondent. Way to write the blue cards!

At least Bitsy's clothing matched today with her ugly Christmas sweater and black Joy open-toed pumps.

Edited by Cosmocrush, Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:03 PM.

Southern

Southern

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Elizabeth Grace story didn't make sense to me. I understand not wanting a company to mail catalogs to your home. But, how is it the fault of the company you daughter got a hold of said catalog? Shouldn't the parent go through the mail before giving it to her child? Or maybe I'm just not understanding her story.

Kodiboku

Kodiboku

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

But then with Anderson Cooper, they just did it to his face; bringing up six month old "news" about "coming out" [Really, Show?]

Same thought here. She does this to almost every guest and it's getting old and no longer relevent but she just won't stop. So predictable that Babs.

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

For such "an experienced jouurnalist" Barbara has not entered this century, imo.

She simply does not understand much of what she asks guests is old news, as Cosmocrush pointed out so well above. And that Americans have a short attention span. Gone are the days when it was great to see her interviews because unless one subscribed to fan mags info on celebrities was not particularly readily available. Then came the entertainment shows, the internet, cable, social media etc.

Her style of interviewing is not fresh. Often is sexual and shallow. Rapid fire and not enough to answer or expand on a conversation.

I also didn't understand the Gracie story. Anyone know which catalog?

Can't wait to watch Anderson!

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 5:08 PM

I also didn't understand the Gracie story. Anyone know which catalog?

Urban Outfitters Holiday Catalog. I'm pretty sure the Gracie story never happened however Faux News was making big fat deal about it so that's probably why Bits made up the story. The best part of all that is Urban Outfitters - a company that targets liberal leaning twenty something slackers is owned by a political cconservative who once supported Rick Santorum.

Edited by Cosmocrush, Dec 13, 2012 @ 5:35 PM.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

But then with Anderson Cooper, they just did it to his face; bringing up six month old "news" about "coming out" [Really, Show?]

I'm telling you, they are endlessly fascinated by that subject for some reason. This comes up every time there is a gay guest on the show. And they are 6 months late to the party. Andreson has already covered this and then some since coming out. I'm a homo myself and I would get annoyed if every time I came on this show the only thing they ever really wanted to ask me about was my gayness.

pachebo

pachebo

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

Trust me, Turkish, they WOULD! (at least BW would, for sure). And speaking of gay, both Sherri and Bitsy tweeted yesterday that they got a suprise Christmas present from Tom Cruise. (I can only think he launched a pre-emptive strike).

Balboa

Balboa

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Babs most fascinating special would be more interesting if she dug a little deeper and interviewed scientists, doctors, nurses or others who bring some good into our world. Interviewing the same lame celebs each year gets a little repetitive.