Admit it. You Canít Stand The View

• Please log in to reply

112811 replies to this topic

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

I've seen Les is going to be released Christmas Day, I think they said this weekend or something on the show. Certainly not Christmas Day for the nation.

Pepperbird

Pepperbird

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

About the nurse's suicide--from seeing the nurse's family out in public, I thought that they might be Indian or Indonesian. In some Asian cultures--notably, Japan--suicide is considered a way to absolve one's family from shame that the individual has brought upon himself/herself in the workplace (for example, a Japanese exec might jump off a tall building out of shame if their company is found responsible for damages).

The family was dressed up in expensive clothes, and were showing a formal portrait of their wife and mother to the world. If the wife/mother/nurse was especially compliant, I can even see her being talked into suicide by a family member who feared repercussions on the family since the royal family was involved.

...geek Anne Hathaway insisting to everyone she had the flu (if she actually did, she wouldn't be able to walk) and then belting out "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." She's insufferable. She must think that just because she looks like Liza Minelli now, she can sing like her too

I agree that Anne has become more insufferable. And I think that Barbara described the whole cozy apres-theater experience also to lend her own celebrity panache to them, and plug the show.

...but we gladly welcome with open arms fools like Piers Morgan.

Piers Morgan has such a cheap, disgusting accent. No doubt in a former life he was a blase and rude airport frisker exploring certain body cavities for drug contraband with a bored, jaded expression. In fact, I would question whether the man was ever a virgin himself.

Kodiboku

Kodiboku

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

I was thrown by Mickey & Minnie's mouths moving for some reason.

They aren't supposed to talk. That's what threw me!

Elisabeth (who I find attractive) did look like crap. Nasty hair and nasty sweater (sorry Bits). I liked the skirt but it was sho short she couldn't sit in the chair! (when interviewing the musical guest). LOL.

It sounded like a lame party

LOL. It sure did! Wouldn't want to be there.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

Now, my news channel is reporting a suicide note was left & her family is saying it was the "shame".

Former Nun

Former Nun

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

I've seen Les is going to be released Christmas Day, I think they said this weekend or something on the show. Certainly not Christmas Day for the nation.

AsI read that it's wide-release...should be most everywhere.

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

Pepperbird said:

About the nurse's suicide--from seeing the nurse's family out in public, I thought that they might be Indian or Indonesian. In some Asian cultures--notably, Japan--suicide is considered a way to absolve one's family from shame that the individual has brought upon himself/herself in the workplace (for example, a Japanese exec might jump off a tall building out of shame if their company is found responsible for damages).

The family was dressed up in expensive clothes, and were showing a formal portrait of their wife and mother to the world. If the wife/mother/nurse was especially compliant, I can even see her being talked into suicide by a family member who feared repercussions on the family since the royal family was involved.

1) The woman was from India (not Japan). She was buried in India.
2) She had not discussed the incident with ther family prior to committing suicide. To imply/speculate that her family talked her into suicide is . . . .wrong, on so many levels.
3) Her family being dressed in expensive clothes is irrelevant.

Edited by azure4, Dec 11, 2012 @ 3:19 PM.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

Wow, they didn't even bother with pretending to do anything but a series of commercials today. Not Hot Topics was dominated by Whoopi pimping Babs special complete with more clips so I don't need to watch any of that. With Babs off Joy pimped her show at the 92StreetYMCA that will be broadcast on Friday. A few comments about an actress saying Channing Tatum is sexy [talk about breaking news] which someone led to Bits showing a pic of her bald husband wearing one of Sherri's bob wigs. Really Bill? Lame.

Then Martha Stewart appeared to do a commercial for the stuff she sells at Home Depot and oh by the way, pick up a chainsaw and a drill there and you can make these log candle holders. Dr. Gadget with his "Only $499" stocking stuffers and then a music act I don't care about.

This show will never be cancelled - super low [if any] production costs and hour long paid commercials means it's making money like crazy.

Sugarwater

Sugarwater

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

Why was Elisabeth wearing pajama bottoms with a shirt that didn't match on today's show? I was wearing the same pajama bottoms while I was watching, but at least I had a matching red t-shirt.........and I was in bed. Also, speaking of Elisabeth, does anyone else cringe and feel embarrassed for her when she attempts to be funny?

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

I saw a TV promo about BW's upcoming special where she says to one of the youngboys from One Direction "You like older women, don't you?" Really skeevy. The way she's trying to sound coy and sexy is creepy. Then she asks autoro E. L. James if 50 Shades has improved her sex life.

Then she's kissing someone on the mouth (can't tell if it's Ben Affleck, Seth McFarlane . . .)

Ick.

Edited by azure4, Dec 11, 2012 @ 6:33 PM.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

Why was Elisabeth wearing pajama bottoms with a shirt that didn't match on today's show?

Why was Elisabeth wearing pajama bottoms with a shirt that didn't match on today's show?

Ha! Seems to be a theme; yesterday she had on a fugly wool sweater and a sequined mini skirt. I'm thinking she lost a bet and one of her kids is picking out her clothes this week. She did have some shoes on today that weren't here daily brown suede pumps. I don't think I'd ever seen them before.

susieq147

susieq147

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

I do think Barbara has become more preoccupied with sex the past few years. When she flirts with men I find it cringe-worthy and when she asks women about sex I find it just icky.

When Elisabeth said there was only one man she wanted to have sex and that picture flashed up I swear I thought it was Geddie. Her husband and Geddie do look alike. Creepy on a few levels.

And I might be wrong but I think the reason they told that story about Channing Tatum (who I do think is walking sex WOW) is because he is Barbara's most fascinating person.

Elisabeth tried once again to be funny. And failed. This is definitely her new schtick. I guess since being "political analyst" Barbie didn't seem to take and "product pimp" Barbie didn't catch on she thinks "comic" Barbie might catch fire. And that is precisely why I don't like her. She never seems authentic to me. Everything she says and does seems to be for effect. I don't know if we have ever seen the real Elisabeth.

azure4

azure4

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

When she flirts with men I find it cringe-worthy

Yes, that's a better description.

ETA: Just saw the promo again. omg.. . it's Seth McFarlane she kisses on the mouth.

Edited by azure4, Dec 11, 2012 @ 7:01 PM.

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

Yea, no Granny! While watching Not Hot Topics today I enjoyed all the chatter, laughing and energy and thought how awful it would be if Babs were there. She's just an icky wet blanket on any fun and drags about everything to a halt.

Glad Sherri got a dog from Tennessee and a black dog. (Poor black goggies and kittehs.) We're getting better with the spay/neuter thing.

Pepperbird

Pepperbird

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

When Martha Stewart had her paddle drill operating on that spare chunk of wood blown down during the Sandy storm, Sherri was just as excited as a kid--to the point that she couldn't keep her own finger away from the spinning drill. I imagine that Martha must have been holding her breath, hoping Sherri wouldn't be dumb enough to stick her fingers into thre hole that Martha was drilling.

The incident made me think again that Sherri is desperate for attention, even courting pain and rejection if it means she will get some. And of course teaching that attitude unconsciously to her son.

Edited by Pepperbird, Dec 11, 2012 @ 10:28 PM.

Theodora69

Theodora69

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Will sosmeone please explain to me why Elisabeth always looks down when she talks????

fl2dc

fl2dc

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

Elisabeth's outfit was horrid today, including her shoes.

curbed

curbed

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

Will sosmeone please explain to me why Elisabeth always looks down when she talks????

Its a habit she has when she is trying to remember what she was told/prepped before the show to say.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

Its a habit she has when she is trying to remember what she was told/prepped before the show to say.

ITA. Like today, when she recited the exact number of soldiers who died in Korea "33,562." Yeah, that was real spontaneous and off the cuff. She probably didn't know about the Korean War until this morning.

I could have hugged Sherri when she was talking about her rescue dog today. She was so genuinely happy about the dog and it's great she got a rescue.

Elisabeth was terrible during the Wozniaki/Williams discussion. Sherri was talking about her feelings on the topic in a sincere, heartfelt manner and Bitsy interrupted for her dumb joke and then dismissed everything Sherri said. I'm glad Whoopi put her in her place a little bit by pointing out the historical use of the big breast/bottom stereotype of black women to dismiss them.

Pepperbird

Pepperbird

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

1) The woman was from India (not Japan). She was buried in India.
2) She had not discussed the incident with ther family prior to committing suicide. To imply/speculate that her family talked her into suicide is . . . .wrong, on so many levels.
3) Her family being dressed in expensive clothes is irrelevant.

Azure4, and all who agree with those thoughts, I apologize if my words on this subject offended you. Let me reword the core ideas I was trying to convey...I didn't mean to be rascist or insulting.

Besides being a sensitive subject, the traditions, beliefs, and social behavior concerning death, including personal or group suicide, are directly related to and intertwined with culture and socialization. If you have studied anthropology or sociology, you are aware that Western Judeo-Christian ways of perception about death are not shared by the whole world, especially in Asia and in some places in Africa. Suicide especially can be a public way in Asian cultures especially of avoiding some imagined or real public shame that the individual and his/her relatives might feel is their lot. I gave one example from the country of Japan.

I believe that the View group either did not notice or did not say that the nurse and her family were Asian, and that the family and the nurse may have held some of these other non-Western beliefs about death and suicide.

I included a comment that the family was expensively dressed up and walking around in public with a formal picture of the nurse, deliberately displaying it to the press cameras--seemed unusual practice to me--so was possibly related to other cultural beliefs about death and suicide that I (and perhaps other Westerners) wouldn't clearly "get" without a cultural interpretation.

Kodiboku

Kodiboku

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

When Elisabeth said there was only one man she wanted to have sex and that picture flashed up I swear I thought it was Geddie. Her husband and Geddie do look alike. Creepy on a few levels.

She and Tim are doomed with their FOD syndrome. Come on. I've been happily (well most of the time) married for over 20 years and I'm sure we both have our fantasies. Get real. She's in denial that one. Good luck with that Barbie.

I included a comment that the family was expensively dressed up and walking around in public with a formal picture of the nurse, deliberately displaying it to the press cameras--seemed unusual practice to me--so was possibly related to other cultural beliefs about death and suicide that I (and perhaps other Westerners) wouldn't clearly "get" without a cultural interpretation.

Everyone grieves differently. I personally don't believe it should be discussed or judged. JMO. And this "Westerner" "gets" it. No interpretation needed.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

Elizabeth McGovern kept leaning waaaay to the left during the interview with her & Hugh Bonneville & again when the other cast members came out. Wonder what's up with that -- she looked like she had a "condition" -- really bad body language.
As usual, BaWa kept interrupting, interfering & derailing all the conversations & even went so far as to start a conversation with the two young women while they were STILL STANDING in front of the couch. THAT woman has definitely gone over the edge!!!

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 12:21 PM

I can't believe I sat through the full hour of this show just to see the cast of Downton Abbey knowing full well that these insufferable women were going to make me want to reach through the tv and smack every one of them due to their incompetent interviewing skills. They are seriously THE WORST.

And once again I cringed at them asking another gay actor, or in this case actor who plays gay, what the difference is kissing someone of the same sex. They ask this every damn time someone comes on this show so no Joy the audience isn't dying to know this because if they are true fans of the show they know you've already asked this 47 times before. The correct answer is that their technically isn't much difference and it's called acting for a reason but that's besides the point. What is their fascination with that subject anyway? They ask these poor people these questions as if it isn't the year 2012 and they are just discovering homosexuality for the first time and it's their duty to educate the public. I just cringe at their stupidity and it looked like the cast was just as uncomfortable as I was. Elizabeth McGovern was leaning so far back when they asked that question that I thought she was going to fall off the couch.

Fatkat

Fatkat

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

I think today might be the day that ABC executives have a meeting about Barbara Walters. When discussing Kim K., she actually said, "Genitalia is for men. Women don't have genitalia."

Lava VaVoom

Lava VaVoom

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

To me, Elizabeth McGovern's body language clearly communicated that she didn't want to be there. But she is an actress and a professional so she did as she was obligated to do to promote her show - but she didn't have to like it.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

Fatkat, you beat me to the post! What an idiotic statement. That topped when she said "president Truman Capote" a long time ago. Something has to be done for this poor woman - she has gone so far beyond what is competent, lucid questioning. And of course, she had to ask the man to juggle - show off like a trained seal...

I don't watch Downton Abbey, but I'm not sure any of the others do either. Whoopi thought it was BBC, Sherri admitted she just started the DVD (she said CD) set 1. Probably Joy was the only one who had actually watched it.

I question the wisdom of devoting an entire show to one TV series. It seems you would lose a big group of viewers. Wonder whose idea it was?

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

I am a big fan of the Obamas but will gladly miss BW's Special tonight.

She has some nerve talking about Assad since she thinks he is soooooo nice, handsome, a real gentleman. The View would have been the perfect platform to walk that back. To see BW kissing whoever (Seth, Ben?) - no thanks. And what a waste of time asking Hillary if she is going to run. I am really perplexed how she gets these people to appear.

At least I won't have to hear about the special much longer.

Edited by maggie010, Dec 12, 2012 @ 2:48 PM.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

Don't be too sure, Maggie010. She almost always plugs the special she did the night before and goes over the highlights! Ego much?

dissy

dissy

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

I watched the season 2 catchup that PBS did of Downton Abbey because I was curious. I did enjoy it. That is why I hung around to see the cast even though I knew it would probably be cringeworthy. Of course there was the perform monkey moment. Why make the poor guy juggle instead of just talking about the show!

Elizabeth McGovern kept leaning waaaay to the left during the interview with her & Hugh Bonneville & again when the other cast members came out.

At one point, I thought she was going to make a break for it. LOL!!

pachebo

pachebo

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

As much as I dislike BW, even when she's lucid, a part of me feels this is "elder cruelty " to keep her on when she has so obviously really lost it. While you can forgive an old auntie for telling the same family story over and over (and may actually enjoy it) a major network show is not the appropriate place for it.

jumper sage

jumper sage

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

I just caught today's show right where they were talking about a class in France that was told to write down what they disliked about themselves.........Sherri then says (paraphrase), "If I send my child to school to learn Bonjour...." And then Whoopi (I think) said it was a class in France not a French class. Hilarious! I liked how Sherri just laughed it off and then shut up.