Admit it. You Canít Stand The View

• Please log in to reply

112749 replies to this topic

Stacee1

Stacee1

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

Fridays show was boring. Richard Gere is a good actor and is incredibly handsome (why is it men look better when they age, damnit!) but I found him a bit off putting . I don't know what it is - too crass or something.

The addition of a guy for Fridays is annoying. I don't care for it and really don't think it adds much to the show.

Whoopi's phone sex voice made me shudder- and not in that good way. And hearing her say she does not do the wax did not surprise me nor would hearing she never shaves. I didn't care for Sherri's feel good story of how she saved her marriage or whatever but Whoopi's condescending know it all behavior regarding Sherri's relationship bugs the hell out of me. I know Whoopi's thinks she's some marriage guru or something but if she's the expert where is HER man?

Edited by TWoP Pembleton, Sep 17, 2012 @ 9:28 PM.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

but Whoopi's condescending know it all behavior regarding Sherri's relationship bugs the hell out of me. I know Whoopi's thinks she's some marriage guru or something but if she's the expert where is HER man?

It bugs me too Stacee. Whoopi considers herself The Spew's expert on all things but I can't imagine why. She regularly spews parenting advice despite becoming a grandmother in her early thirties. She's an expert on men and relationships while simutaneously spewing the idea of a man in her bed/house, not to mention a past that includes multiple divorces. She knows all about everything despite never finishing high school. The lengths she goes to defend any celebrity for seemingly anything has no end. Whoopi has to get the last word on almost every subject; "Here's the thing..." or "No, no, no, let me tell you..." and of course her standby, "We don't know, we weren't there..." followed by "I don't care." The only exception is when her boss Babs talks. Then she just rolls her eyes.

ETA: So I heard [via Bill Maher's show] that Romney was in NYC taping the Live! with Kelly and Michaelshow yesterday. Ha!! Another fail for Red, White, and The Spew producers. This hard working show has Friday's off so they couldn't have taped it anyway. I wonder if Babs is pissed?

Edited by Cosmocrush, Sep 15, 2012 @ 5:34 PM.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

Damn, Richard Gere REALLY, REALLY wants that Oscar. He's everywhere and even lowered himself to be on the View for the first time.

It's always bugged me that when actors are on The View, the questions are all about: are you expecting to win an oscar? Are you surprised that you didn't win an oscar? What do you think about another actor who won an oscar when you didn't?
I LOVE when actors will talk about acting as art, or their passion, or that they put forth the best effort they can, and awards are not the reason they work. To me, all the talk about awards, the minute a movie is out, assumes that actors make movies in order to get statues. Movies are art and entertainment. Nobody puts painters or sculptors in a contest to see who won each year for best artwork. The oscars were not meant to be the Superbowl of movies, where other actors are seen as competitors.
I guess I'd rather they ask actors to talk about the movie, then talk about the awards they may or may not get. It's a new movie, tell us about it,maybe we'll go see it.

Edited by backformore, Sep 15, 2012 @ 6:36 PM.

RudyRayMoore

RudyRayMoore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

Whoopi has to get the last word on almost every subject; "Here's the thing..." or "No, no, no, let me tell you..." and of course her standby, "We don't know, we weren't there..." followed by "I don't care."

Forgive me for asking this (I've been unable to see most of The View's episodes since they started the new season), but did Whoopi ("it wasn't rape-rape") Goldberg ever comment on the Todd Akin "legitimate rape" brouhaha? Or on Paul Ryan's co-sponsorship of anti-abortion bills with Todd Akin? Just wondering if Hot Topics ever covered this...

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

I guess I'd rather they ask actors to talk about the movie, then talk about the awards they may or may not get. It's a new movie, tell us about it,maybe we'll go see it.

But they don't need to because someone on the couch, in this case Chris Cuomo, will read the synopsis of the movie to them and then say, "Right?"

This is usually followed by some variation of asking if the actor is like the character they play. If they have a more famous friend or spouse then the conversation flips to that. A good example of this awesome interview style was played out with the three actresses of which I can only remember Kirsten Dunst but after establishing they were not their characters the conversation veered to Sacha Baron Cohen since he is the husband of one of the actresses and of course to Lindsey Lohan because the other one was in Mean Girls with her 10 years ago. I can't even remember the name of the movie they were there to pimp.

This happens whether Babs is there or not. Babs never interviewed Gere so she didn't feel the need to show up for that.

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 7:57 AM

Richard Gere is a good actor and is incredibly handsome (why is it men look better when they age, damnit!)

This may be a men vs. women thing. I thought he looked good but not as good as he has. For every Richard Gere I give you Nick Nolte, Mel Gibson, Gary Busey, Jack Nicholson and the late Marlon Brando. Personally, I think women age better. I think Meryl Streep, Susan Sarandon, Sally Field, Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, Jessica Lange, Joanna Lumley, and Jane Fonda, to name a few, have all aged like a fine wine.

Edited by TWoP Pembleton, Sep 17, 2012 @ 9:30 PM.

boomj

boomj

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

Xingu said:

You make excellent points. That's why I'm torn. My only point of contention would be your assertion that a degree from Boston College guarantees intelligence. GW Bush graduated from Yale. 'Nuff said.

I was actually tongue in cheek about bits & Boston College, I have my not very nice, in polite company, views on exactly how she graduated! Same for GWB but his involve money

Stacee1

Stacee1

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 16, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

mumbles said:

To her credit Sherri was making her point calmly and rationally (believe it or not). Bitsy's response was to be sarcastic and mean. Had she actually come up with "her" opinion and thought it through, she could have argued it rationally.

Good point. Instead, she got incredibly defensive. My thought is that she really had no defense, that's why the only thing she could do was throw Marco Rubio's name out there. Lame.
I'd have actually gained a modicum of respect for her had she acknowledged Sherri's concern. But then she'd have to at least conceded that her team does have an issue with diversity - Marco Rubio notwithstanding.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

BaWa "interviewing" Prince was, in a word, PAINFUL!!! I needed a shower. The whole show was a waste of time.

SummerSands

SummerSands

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

I was more annoyed by the fat Diana Ross in leopard (Sherri) constantly trying to interrupt everyone.

I'm not a Prince fan. If you can't speak on a talk show, don't go on a talk show.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

If you can't speak on a talk show, don't go on a talk show.

Some people don't need to ramble on (like Elisabeth) to get their point across.

I believe Prince's presence was to help promote the show, dubbed ďWelcome 2 Chicago,Ē which was organized at the last minute to support Rebuild the Dream, an initiative founded by Van Jones, who was also a guest today, to restore jobs and economic opportunity. By having Prince there, it helps to bring more attention to the cause than to have Mr. Jones sit there and discuss something that some people might not bother to tune in for if they have no idea who Mr. Jones is and what he is currently doing.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

Prince should have sent in a Prince statue. It would have had much more to offer. Elisabeth is a diarrhea mouthed host, not a guest who is supposed to speak.

So now they're tossing Barbara crap like "Best TV characters"! And the poor old girl still showed up to talk it up as something profound. Those things always end up heavily weighted to the most recent characters anyway. And I'd swear that I've already seen like 5 different versions of this very thing.

High Tea

High Tea

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

I'm actaully ashamed to write this because I'm ashamed that I didn't shut it off sooner than I did.

Joy Behar is one bitter woman (imo). There was such disdain on her already mean looking face when they discussed Kate Middleton's topless photos. Sad when Whoopi is the voice of reason. Kate Middleton was at a private residence with her husband when she was sunbathing topless. Joy-less compared her to naked celebrity publicity whores which semed highly inappropriate. They are not the KarTrashians, so perhaps the royal couple was entitiled to a little privacy. Kate Middleton has always conducted herself well. It was not the best judgement to assume she had complete privacy on that balcony with her husband, but Behar started out with a bit of a "she deserved it for taking off her top" attitude. Had to laugh when she said she does not sunbathe topless. That's good news Joy. This is a young married couple. I'm sure they do lots of things you don't. Then the remark about the sun screen on her "nips". Just. Not. Funny. I wanted someone to get a stick and pull her off the stage.

Prince gave me the creeps. What happened to his face?

Elisabeth is a diarrhea mouthed host, not a guest who is supposed to speak.

Yes, Elisabeth is exactly that. As soon as she started blathering after Prince came out: OFF! Then I was angry that it took me so long to banish those witches from my television screen.

Bitsy is nothing to the GOP anymore.

I think she's a problem for the GOP because she's such an idiot. The less she speaks, the better.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

By having Prince there, it helps to bring more attention to the cause than to have Mr. Jones sit there and discuss something that some people might not bother to tune in for if they have no idea who Mr. Jones is and what he is currently doing.

Okay, but I watched it and I still have no idea what Jones is currently doing except talking about people who talk about solutions.... in Chicago... with Prince...???

Edited by Cosmocrush, Sep 17, 2012 @ 3:51 PM.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

Joy Behar is one bitter woman (imo). There was such disdain on her already mean looking face when they discussed Kate Middleton's topless photos. Sad when Whoopi is the voice of reason. Kate Middleton was at a private residence with her husband when she was sunbathing topless. Joy-less compared her to naked celebrity publicity whores which semed highly inappropriate. They are not the KarTrashians, so perhaps the royal couple was entitiled to a little privacy. Kate Middleton has always conducted herself well. It was not the best judgement to assume she had complete privacy on that balcony with her husband, but Behar started out with a bit of a "she deserved it for taking off her top" attitude. Had to laugh when she said she does not sunbathe topless. That's good news Joy. This is a young married couple. I'm sure they do lots of things you don't. Then the remark about the sun screen on her "nips". Just. Not. Funny. I wanted someone to get a stick and pull her off the stage.

Thank you. I hated what Joy said about Kate Middleton. It was one step away from saying that a rape victim deserved it because of what she was wearing. Joy is a mean, nasty person IMO.

I don't think Prince has done anything to his face, but his hair was natural.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

Prince is Prince. He'll be weird forever. Nothing will change that.

susieq147

susieq147

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

Barbara Walters has shown more deference to a greedy SOB who scammed millions of dollars from people who trusted him and a woman who gave probably the most famous BJ of all time BUT she thinks Kate Middleton should not be able to be outside without thinking someone might take her picture. What if her daughter Jackie was photographed will sunbathing topless, would she have the same attitude? Acutally yeah, probably, she would think of it as publicity.

And yeah Joy's attitude about the future Queen of England was definitely "blame the victim" thinking. She seems real crabby lately.

All that is going on in the world and not one mention of Mitt Romney putting his foot in his mouth about it and not one word about it on the View. Not surprised at all. Why do I have a feeling Geddie will purposefully avoid all things that show Romney in a bad light?

Barbara practically had a stroke trying to get Jesse Ventura to announce he's running for President. Seriously, WTF is wrong with her? If he did announce his candidacy it would be for the NEXT Presidental election, we have to get through this one first. And so what if he did announce it today on the View? Does she really think that would be some sorta huge "get"? That it would go viral? She reminds me of Norman Desmond from Sunset Boulevard when she says "I am big. It's the pictures that got small". BW thinks she is still a star and people pay attention to everything she says and does.

Thought Whoopi's room that was designed on the images she chose was over the top gaudy. Even tacky. Big surprise. Not.

Cosmocrush

Cosmocrush

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

Barbara practically had a stroke trying to get Jesse Ventura to announce he's running for President.

Ha! That was my favorite part today. She even yelled at Joy to stop talking so she could command him to answer "Yes or No". Because really, does anyone care if Jesse Ventura is running for President? Rosanne announced she was running and I didn't see any big ABC News coverage of that event. You said it perfectly susieq, Babs thinks she still matters in the news. I'm not sure she ever did with all her celebrity fluff but she certainly does.

But mostly the show sucked hard today. Prince's appearance was lame. He never did say what he was doing there even though Sherri asked him, he rambled on about what a great guy Van Jones was without ever saying why he was doing the concerts. Of course, Jones didn't expand very much either. Not sure at all why Rosario was there. I skipped the ten minute Home Goods commercial and got through the entire mess in under 25 minutes. It's getting shorter and shorter.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

Please try to keep your conversation about what you saw on the show, not theories about various hosts' political backgrounds. For example, it would be fine to post, "I can't believe Whoopi said that she is in favor of (political hot potato here). Doesn't she know about (reason why you disagree)." It's not okay to post, "The only reason Whoopi supports so many liberal/conservative/racial/feminist/whatever issues is because she used to date Frank Langella and he's a well-known whatever."

In other words, just talk about what you saw on the show. Thanks.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

I think we've seen pictures of Whoopi's home before and it was nothing like that mess. I remember a lot of white, and I quite liked it. What a waste of time that was.

I think Joy sucks up to Barbara with their mutual royal bashing. If Barbara's beloved cousin Mrs. McCartney got snapped topless you'd better believe it would be a different story.

Theodora69

Theodora69

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 17, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

Jesse Ventura was on Joy's show last week and he said then that he wasn't going to run! Actually he is a big gasbag and was a lousy governor oof Minnesota - according to my sister who still lives there.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

He also said he had been banned by CBS, NBC, ABC etc etc, and there he was on ABC yesterday.

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

Listening to someone--Elisabeth--who has never been poor speaking dismissively of the poor sounds exactly--to me--like the skinheads and white power folks who hold forth on the reality of being Black or Jewish, things they couldn't possibly understand.

I am in the financial position I am through a lot of sheer luck. I wish Elisabeth could--like Mitt Romney--articulate that that is also their truth. The poor are human beings. Most poor people work hard. But most will need some luck too.

Ah well. Elisabeth always reminds me why I quit Facebook. "Like if you love Jesus" and click to join,"The poor are lazy liberal leeches!" Hope her,"We'll celebrate DEPENDENCE Day!" becomes a rallying cry. Since 47% of Americans are answering to the Queen of England, I guess.

Oh & Elisabeth be glad all Barbara Walters did was,"Shut you down." She could have smacked your ass.

Edited by TedHinD, Sep 18, 2012 @ 11:14 AM.

Vinyasa

Vinyasa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

Abraham Lincoln is my favorite person, in case anyone was wondering.

Seriously Bitsy, what was that all about?

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

WOW. Two minutes into the show, BW doesn't let Bitsy take over the discussion, and Bitsy's FACE!!!!!!!! Pursed lips, scrunched up face, looking like a 12 year old being put in her place by Mommy.

Then, she does the thing that is typical of Republicans this election season - ignore the facts, don't look at the numbers, let's talk about the "feeling" of the country.
Bitsy: "outside of the numbers here, there's a FEELING that with more and more people dependent on the government, by next July we could be celebrating dependence day instead of Independence day".
BW: "Oh, Elizabeth!"
Bitsy: "This isn't something I'm just feeling alone."
BW: "yes it is. (other noises) That doesn't make it so"
Bitsy :" you can patronize me for what I'm thinking and you can put me in a corner for it, but.."
BW" Elizabeth, don't take this personally, I'm not patronizing you."
Bitsy: "That's not my issue. there's two schools of thought,..... blah blah blah, about people dependent on government are not really free.

Then Bitsy tries to get in the last word by quoting Abraham Lincoln. And the rest of the women make it clear that they do not take her seriously.
Her point, as articulated to Whoopi - when you collect government benefits, like unemployment, ask yourself - do you feel free?
huh?

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

I do not agree with most of what comes out of Elisabeth's mouth, but I wish Barbara would let her speak. That's why she is there.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

Wow they had both Ducky and Blaine on today.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

"Dependence Day" stinks of prepared sound bite that someone fed her. Let's see if Hannity starts throwing the term around. Then we'll know where she got it.

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

Here's hoping that someone -- like Joy, perhaps -- is able to set the record straight for Elisabeth about exactly who does not pay income tax and why.

The New York Timesí David Brooks may very well have the best take on the Romney video from yesterday. In a column entitled ďThurston Howell Romney,Ē Brooks writes, ďThe people who receive the disproportionate share of government spending are not big-government lovers. They are Republicans. They are senior citizens. They are white men with high school degrees. As Bill Galston of the Brookings Institution has noted, the people who have benefited from the entitlements explosion are middle-class workers, more so than the dependent poor.Ē Brooks concludes with this biting line, ďPersonally, I think heís a kind, decent man who says stupid things because he is pretending to be something he is not ó some sort of cartoonish government-hater. But it scarcely matters. Heís running a depressingly inept presidential campaign.Ē Indeed, while nearly 47% of the country doesnít pay federal income taxes, many of these folks DO pay payroll, state, and local taxes. Whatís more, a lot of them are seniors, and most of them would never describe themselves as dependent on government even if they were.

From today's MSNBC "First Thoughts" column; Chuck Todd quoting David Brooks is not a good sign for the Mitten.

MedicineCrow

MedicineCrow

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

Hasselblech = (pick one)

The noun RHETORIC has 4 senses:
1. using language effectively to please or persuade
2. high-flown style; excessive use of verbal ornamentation
3. loud and confused and empty talk
4. study of the technique and rules for using language effectively (especially in public speaking)

I don't believe ANYTHING coming out of her mouth & don't want to hear "her take" on ANYTHING. The only thing I WANT to hear her say is GOOD BYE!!!