Admit it. You Canít Stand The View

• Please log in to reply

112810 replies to this topic

castosaure

castosaure

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 6:17 PM

If Whoopi and Oprah didn't get along, it wouldn't surprise me. They seem to have very different, opposing personalities. Oprah's personna on her show was also very different during the Color Purple days from what it is now. Not all celebrities get along and Whoopi doesn't bite her tongue. They shouldn't have discussed the KKK author today without more info. though. It was confusing at best.

The wackiest part of today's show was Babs talking about how much of a prick (and child?) Jennings could be and the widow agreeing (his 4th wife). Babs, the 1st woman news anchor and thrice married, should be wary. An ex or her daughter Jackie might write a book down the road and do the same.

5thinker2

5thinker2

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 6:18 PM

Still enjoy this board. Will continue reading it even after I stop watching the show again once EH returns. I found Barbaraís statements to Mrs. Jennings to be tacky, rude and below any standards for a ďgoodĒ journalist. I think the audience could understand after the first comments from Barbara that she thought Peter Jennings was difficult to work with. However, her continuing negative comments began to feel like a slap in the face to me. Bad, bad, badÖ My respect for BW has hit an all time low (and it hasnít been high in the last 6 months).

Itís sad if Whoopi and Oprah (two strong black women) arenít supportive of each other. Maybe Maya Angelou should help them work out their differences.

In regards to the ďnappy headed hoĒ comment, it would have been a good time for Whoopi and Sherri to speak up and state their feelings to Damon. Their silence perpetuates the belief that black women never speak out against this derogatory terminology when used by a black man and it is therefore okay. I realize he believes actions speak louder than words. However, words can hurt. I was surprised when he said that black people would laugh when he said "nappy headed ho" and white people would say "well, that's not right". Wow, he is perpetuating treating black women poorly.

StonedHousewife

StonedHousewife

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 6:52 PM

In regards to the ďnappy headed hoĒ comment, it would have been a good time for Whoopi and Sherri to speak up and state their feelings to Damon

Yes, as comics, these two had ample ammunition to go over and pretend to ring his neck or put their dukes up, like those were fightin' words. I really expected to see that happen. Something funny. But no, they just sat there. I know Whoopi was going 'Oh no, oh no...' but she didn't do ANYTHING. Very dissapointing they let him run off at the mouth.

sassyrebel

sassyrebel

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 7:06 PM

I thought Sherri was making a valid point for a change when she said maybe Oprah didn't want to endure the flak she got with James Frey's fallout, but I just looked up this whole thing and Frey's book is still up there. Research, people! http://news.yahoo.co...rey_book_pulled

Oprah apparently did reject this book, back in 94 and she is saying it is an archival error that it was on the website. So Whoopi was maybe going down the wrong path on this one, suggesting that she knew the guy was KKK, but left it in her book club. She should have stuck to the original point of art vs. the person himself. And BW kept saying, we need to find out what really happened and Whoopi kept defending that she was speaking based on the info she had been given, clearly by the View researchers. WTF? Why was BW so skeptical of her own staff? Why would they be talking about it if they didn't know the facts -- oh wait, this is the View!

Looks like Whoopi owes Oprah an apology.

Why didn't anyone answer Sherri's question if Hitler wrote a children's book, would you read that, and enjoy that? It was valid.

Because then they would end up looking like the double standard, hypocrites they are.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 7:20 PM

Man I wish I had a dollar for everytime Someone uses Hitler in a an analogy.

If Joy doesn't stop explaining things I may explode.

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 7:20 PM

Looks like Whoopi owes Oprah an apology.

I don't agree, there is nothing in that article that clearly states the facts and dates of when the book was added to her website, and taken down. She backed the book - and then changed her mind, though at the time she backed the book, the facts about the author were available - that is the only thing that is clear. The *archival error* could be an excuse or shenanigans, or it may not be. As I stated above - I think that vagueness is what made Barbara uncomfortable.

Bottom line about Whoopi and Sherri not taking on Wayans to me? They are culturally aware of where the *nappy headed ho* remarks came from and so it doesn't bother them as much as others, as in Wayans' words about how Whites and African Americans would react differently. I'll duck tomatoes now, but I have always attributed the original remarks by McGirk and Imus to Spike Lee's movie School Daze (the Madame Re-Re's Salon Straight & Nappy scene), I realize mileage will vary. Also, all three of them (Wayans, Goldberg and Shepherd) are comedians so they have concerns with free speech.

Edited by EagerContrarian, Nov 7, 2007 @ 7:27 PM.

avadakedavra

avadakedavra

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 7:30 PM

Can someone explain how Sherri looks at her acting career? She said today that Damon Wayans fired her from her first show, yet she was a regular cast member in on Suddenly Susan in it's last year. I understand it seems she worked at the law firm as a secretary b/t acting gigs, but she makes it seem that every show she was on was her first ever show. Does she have no idea what shows she was actually on and what years she was on them? It makes no sense.

Cypher21--She did say "Damon fired me from my first job." But then she said later "was the very first job I was ever fired from." I think she just mixed up her words with her first sentence. She meant that it was the first time she was fired.

I enjoy the song that that was sung at the end but it appears the woman couldn't keep any of the lyrics straight (or in her head). The first time she went silent I thought it was just artistic license. Then there were long periods of silence.... Embarrassing.

Detective

Detective

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

Barbara's story about Tom Cruise was not interesting enough to be a Hot Topic but I liked her interview with Peter Jennings' wife. I didn't think Barbara's comments about how Peter Jennings reduced her to tears were inappropriate, if those stories are cited in the book as she claimed. Certainly, his wife seemed to take this information into stride. If anything, I think this was one of the View's better interviews. I'm quite certain a tell all about Barbara is probably being drafted for immediate release upon her death also and I'm sure she would expect it to be.

Edited by Detective, Nov 7, 2007 @ 9:18 PM.

leanal

leanal

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 9:51 PM

I am so so sick of the gushing over that overrated jerk Tom Cruise. I don't think he is good looking, he looks like a strange little short old man now with that crazy smile on his face. Why do they butt kiss him all the time? He said more stuft that was disturbing about women and post- partum depression and is just a freak in so many ways. Fine to admire his work, even though I don't think he is that good, but to sit around acting like school girls over some controlling weirdo is nauseating. I can tell Joy can not stand him, but she does like his acting. But to say that little repressed midget who is nutso is underrated is a bit much. And how about asking speilberg what he thinks about him after his weirdo needs to have a scientology tent on the set of his movies! lol

Whoopi made a valid point about Oprah and that author IMO.

007Girl

007Girl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 9:55 PM

That movie was 'The Color Purple' and it just struck me as odd that she would let every one know that her and Oprah did not become friends during this amazing movie, considering that Oprah LOVES this move and turned it into a broadway musical. I just thought that was a little dig on Whoopie's part.

I really don't blame Whoopi for being hurt about not being invited to the Legend's Ball. She was one of the very few I can think of that were left out. If it was truly a vehicle to honor and applaud incredibly talented black women who have inspired, Whoopi certainly should have been on the list!! Personal squabbles should have been put aside for that occasion.

jron

jron

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 10:16 PM

She did say "Damon fired me from my first job." But then she said later "was the very first job I was ever fired from." I think she just mixed up her words with her first sentence. She meant that it was the first time she was fired.

This says alot about Sherri as a person. She could have been irritated, snappish and cryptic, like Whoopi was at the mere mention of Oprah's name, but instead, Sherri was sweet and pleasant towards him. Even got in some good natured ribbing about being fired by him. Watching these two women over the past few months, I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the "ditziness" of Sherri over the "brilliance" of Whoopi.

sassyrebel

sassyrebel

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 10:21 PM

I don't agree, there is nothing in that article that clearly states the facts and dates of when the book was added to her website, and taken down. She backed the book - and then changed her mind, though at the time she backed the book, the facts about the author were available - that is the only thing that is clear. The *archival error* could be an excuse or shenanigans, or it may not be. As I stated above - I think that vagueness is what made Barbara uncomfortable.

Which is reason enough for Whoop to apologize because she was commenting as if she had 100% correct info.

Bottom line about Whoopi and Sherri not taking on Wayans to me? They are culturally aware of where the *nappy headed ho* remarks came from and so it doesn't bother them as much as others, as in Wayans' words about how Whites and African Americans would react differently. I'll duck tomatoes now, but I have always attributed the original remarks by McGirk and Imus to Spike Lee's movie School Daze (the Madame Re-Re's Salon Straight & Nappy scene), I realize mileage will vary. Also, all three of them (Wayans, Goldberg and Shepherd) are comedians so they have concerns with free speech.

You're painting an entire culture with one brush. As a Black woman, I can assure both u and Wayans that not all Black people are OK with his ignorant comment. Also, the fact that the majority white audience laughed at his comment, kills his theory that white people would be bothered by his comment.

BTW, that scene in School Daze that you're referring to: a) there was no mention of the term Imus used, and b) was about the intra-racism that exists within the Afr-Am community, not about insulting student athletes. One more thing: Imus and his crew were making racist comments waaaaay before School Daze.

LeleAnne

LeleAnne

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 10:24 PM

I like Sherri. Don't agree with her, but I think she represents a pretty "normal" woman. She isn't caught up in being politically correct and often states her opinion as some regular woman on the street would. I'm sorry if people do not agree, but I feel like she really is pretty normal. I think WG is very intelligent but often sees things from a celebrity perspective. I like Sherri for the same reason I like joy - she is down to earth. Sure, I think sometimes her opinions are kind of crazy but that doesn't mean I don't think she's likable. Alot of it is that Sherri hasn't done her homework enough. That is something I like about EH. She seemed to research things even if her opinions were weird.

I feel bad for Sherri sometimes too. WG really seems to hate her. Sometimes I shout at the TV "let Sherri talk Whoopie and just shut up already!" And I thought it was a bit unfair today for Whoopie to look at Sherri when Damon Wayans was talking about a woman cooking for him. There is nothing wrong with Sherri having a sense of traditionalism in her views of marriage yet not liking Damon Wayans tone. Just because Sherri wants a man who can provide and take care of her, doesn't mean she isn't willing to be a strong independent woman herself. I think there is alot more to her than Whoopie lets us hear. I feel uncomfortable any time WG acts like Sherri is straight out of the 50's with her views. She won't even let Sherri TALK! Sherri just isn't good at articulating, IMO.

In my opinion, alot of Sherri's views come from her just not doing her homework and being knowledgable. (sp?) I hope she finds her groove and learns her lessons this first season. She's smart, just incredibly uninformed.

Edited by LeleAnne, Nov 7, 2007 @ 10:28 PM.

jt0225

jt0225

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 7, 2007 @ 10:33 PM

Barbara awkwardly chiming in to say that The View sells book was a low point for the show. However, that was topped just a little later by Joy asking the audience if they knew about the Michael Richards incident. WTF????? The people in the audience are AT A TV SHOW. Isn't it safe to assume THEY WATCH TV. Therefore, they know about Michael Richards and every other stupid topic they discuss. Enough with the explanations already!!! I'm at the point now where I seriously thing that during a discussion about the war in Iraq, BaWa and/or Joy might turn to the audience and say, "Well, this started on 9/11. Do you all know what happened on 9/11?"

It's also sad that they aren't allowed to say Rosie's name anymore. They could've actually made a good joke during BaWa's dumb Tom Cruise story about Rosie being jealous. But why would I expect humor from BaWa.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 2:06 AM

Barbara awkwardly chiming in to say that The View sells book was a low point for the show

Wasn't that sad?

I am so so sick of the gushing over that overrated jerk Tom Cruise

BW really needs to go away. Tom kissing her is not a hot topic.

donleavy

donleavy

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 4:50 AM

VERY DIM 'VIEW' (Page Six):

November 8, 2007 -- DON'T expect Barbara Walters and her crew on "The View" to promote Los Angeles magazine anytime soon. A biting satire, "Recipes for Disaster," has a dish called " 'View' Souffle with Winter Vegetables.' Take 1 liberal with dreadlocks, 1 conservative blond, 2 grating whiners, 1 dead horse, 6-8 baby turnips." Then, "melt whiners in skillet. Add dreadlocks, rosary beads from blond, and turnips. Beat dead horse with mallet until 11 a.m. Serves: 5 egos." Ouch.

Ouch, indeed!

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 5:27 AM

was about the intra-racism that exists within the Afr-Am community

True enough, but from my ignorant point of view, that and whatever/however Oprah liked the book, supported it and then pulled it are almost two sides of the same coin - but that's a conversation that is beyond the scope of this forum. I just get the impression from all of Whoopi's remarks on the show that she's gotten beyond racism personally (though she acknowledges that it still exists) and looks at everyone as "just people" with and without foibles - and that seems to leave a lot of viewers with an odd impression about her views on race. The Imus and company thing was not just racist, it was also misogynistic (i.e. Wayans suggested that we throw out the word bitch, but Joy wanted to keep it - it's the old I am X so I can use the word Y but you aren't X so you can't use the word Y). It's all still such a difficult subject, all around.

Edited by EagerContrarian, Nov 8, 2007 @ 5:55 AM.

lulaK

lulaK

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 8:14 AM

That is something I like about EH. She seemed to research things even if her opinions were weird.

I never saw things that way at all. I think she often repeated the opinions of others and claimed to love research, but I never saw any real evidence that she actually did any research herself. I heard her say many times that she would research something (that she wasn't in agreement with) that came up during hot topics, but I don't ever remember EH revisiting any of those discussions post research. I also think that some facts she presented were those given to her via her earpiece, or written by someone else on the blue cards. The area where obvious research had been done by EH was info on the latest Dancing With the Stars or The Bachelor.

Detective

Detective

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 8:22 AM

I agree with this assessment. Elisabeth was a great one for saying she loved facts and did lots of research but she never actually showed us what she learned during this research. However, she did get slightly better at tossing in a fact (that she unquestionably got from Hannity typically) during one of her emotional tirades. Elisabeth was not any better (or even as good as) than Sherri is at expressing an unpopular opinion. Sherri remains calm and hasn't resorted to shrieking yet. In my mind, that gives Sherri a huge advantage over Elisabeth.

leanal

leanal

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 8:51 AM

Bitsy's 'research' was her conservative websites or Faux news buddies. It is nice not seeing chimpmunk orange face pretending to be pensive with her hand on her chin, and not hearing her shrill irritating voice, and toddler behavior of smacking the table or crossing her arms. Sherri is irritating because she is so proud to be a stupid moron. She is not mean like bitsy though, but her total lack of care that she is dumb is irritating too. Her laughing at her dumb comments and smiling while she says something ignorant is annoying.

This says alot about Sherri as a person. She could have been irritated, snappish and cryptic, like Whoopi was at the mere mention of Oprah's name, but instead, Sherri was sweet and pleasant towards him. Even got in some good natured ribbing about being fired by him. Watching these two women over the past few months, I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the "ditziness" of Sherri over the "brilliance" of Whoopi.

Whoopi did not get irritated at the sound of Oprah's name, she was making a point about her suddenly changing her mind about a book she endorsed when she did know the guy had KKK roots. I never saw it as personal on Whoopi's part.

Sherri is too freaking stupid to have any real deep thoughts. I am really tired of her dumb but nice crap. Dumb is dumb and right now she and Bitsy are the stupid end of the table.

I think Oprah has done a lot of good for sure, but If ind her totally pompous and annoying at times too.

Edited by leanal, Nov 8, 2007 @ 8:52 AM.

nautilus

nautilus

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 9:02 AM

That is something I like about EH. She seemed to research things even if her opinions were weird.

Bitsy research anything??? That has NEVER happened!! NEVER!

It is nice not seeing chimpmunk orange face pretending to be pensive with her elbow on table, hand on her chin, and not hearing her shrill irritating voice, and toddler behavior of smacking the table or crossing her arms or tearing up the blue cards

Added a few comments in Bold!

sowkkat

sowkkat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 10:32 AM

Just a side note; beige Barbara holding the tan make-up case with that tan background was total camouflage moment. I heard a voice, but there was no one there.

Oh, and with the Peter Jennings tongue-lashing from Barbara, I noticed this progression; when his widow said that he got on people because he had high standards for the staff he worked with, those were fightin' words for Barbara. How dare this common producer insinuate that Barbara was a slacker! She made sure to point out that everyone had high standards, but he was a "child" about it. His poor widow had the grace to acquiesce and allow that Barbara had a point. It was like she wanted her to say; "You're right, Barbara, the man that I loved and miss was a jerk and you are perfect in every way at all times." Barbara is the "child" who, even in death, has to be right. She is ragingly insecure, defensive and seems to be a pretty miserable person if everyone around her has to kow-tow to her point of "view." And besides, he might have been a difficult person, but he was probably right about BaWa the journaliste.

Edited by sowkkat, Nov 8, 2007 @ 10:59 AM.

leanal

leanal

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 10:57 AM

It is nice not seeing chimpmunk orange face pretending to be pensive with her elbow on table, hand on her chin, and not hearing her shrill irritating voice, and toddler behavior of smacking the table or crossing her arms or tearing up the blue cards

Thanks for adding that! lol

I really can't stand her and I doubt people miss her very much. Sherri is irritating me the same way. I used to think Sherri was just plain sweet, but now I realize she is just too stupid to care about very much. Can't stand her.

MyEyesSee

MyEyesSee

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 11:07 AM

You're painting an entire culture with one brush. As a Black woman, I can assure both u and Wayans that not all Black people are OK with his ignorant comment. Also, the fact that the majority white audience laughed at his comment, kills his theory that white people would be bothered by his comment.

BTW, that scene in School Daze that you're referring to: a) there was no mention of the term Imus used, and b) was about the intra-racism that exists within the Afr-Am community, not about insulting student athletes. One more thing: Imus and his crew were making racist comments waaaaay before School Daze.

Well, said my sista!

DL Hugley, Dog TBH and Damon can kiss my ass. We black women take crap from everyone -- even our own, which is especially disappointing. And there's no way in hell Imus was quoting a Spike Lee movie -- he said the racist shit and someone found a reference to help him clean it up.

madfortv

madfortv

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 11:38 AM

I have not watched this show recently. Today I checked it out and at first enjoyed that they were talking and listening, not talking over each other. Whoopi was doing a great job of leading the conversation. Towards the end of the first segment, Sherri would not shut up. It was quickly back to the old talk over each other. What a disappointment.

sassyrebel

sassyrebel

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 12:09 PM

Hot Topics was so uncomfortable to watch today. Usually, I think Sherri is stuck on dumb and deserves Whoopi's lectures, but today I felt sorry for her. Whoop wouldn't allow the woman to give her point of view fully, constantly interrupting her. So unfair. Whoop really needs to get off of this holier-than-thou pedestal when it comes to pop culture. Just because she's not interested in it doesn't make those who are less than her.

I understood why Sherri said that it was about time that Jennifer Lopez announced her pregnancy. Lopez has been using the "is she/isn't she?" rumors to promote herself. That's what these celebrities do, Whoopi. Ever heard of a publicist? So, when you do that you need to accept the positive along with the negative.

Babs......enough with the hypocrisy. Your career is built upon people "caring" about the lives of celebrities. Does "The Most Fascinating People" yearly special ring a bell, along with your countless interviews of celebs on 20/20?

Edited by sassyrebel, Nov 8, 2007 @ 12:11 PM.

LeleAnne

LeleAnne

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 12:09 PM

Bitsy research anything??? That has NEVER happened!! NEVER!

I wasn't being quite as literal as that was taken. I wrote that pretty late at night so it wasn't very articulate or explained. What I meant was, EH seems pretty informed about her politics. Other people on the board may not think so, but she was in my opinion. She kept up on politics, had a strong opinion about them, and often expressed these view points on the show. I do not agree with her politics, but sometimes she would present her opinion articulately (even if I thought it wasn't right.) There were times where I could see her point of view even if I did not agree with it. I know it is popular to hate her because her opinions are often ultra conservative, but I have friends who feel the same way she does and they try to convince me all the time why she is right or why they love her. Do I agree? NO. And maybe, in my opinion, Elisabeth is choosing to see what she wants to see because of her political views. But, that isn't the topic at hand here for me. I was just stating that she is pretty passionate about her politics. She reads and keep up on them. Do you really think Sherri does that? I don't. I think Sherri is very closed off to that section of hot topics and for the sake of her job, she needs to learn about them really fast. If you have ever noticed, she gets REALLY quiet when politics or current events come up. My argument was that she isn't stupid, just uninformed. Sometimes she pipes in trying to join the conversation and due to her lack of knowledge she can't articulate anything.

Maybe that means she is ignorant, but I still like her as a person. I think she means well and she's very sweet.

For instance, during todays show Whoopie was grating on me even more! Sherri could not articulate very well why she was fascinated with celebrities. Sherri was right when she told WG to "join the real world" and understand why people care about J-LO. WG is a celebrity. To me, that makes her unrelatable sometimes. I'm glad Joy and Barbara joined in trying to help WG understand. I'm sorry, but just because people are curious about celebrities, does not make them idiots.

Anyway, today was a prime example of why WG annoys me. Sherri, in the end, was sweet about the whole thing and to me that shows she means well and is a nice person. I'm sorry if people don't agree with me. It's just that, when I watch the show, clearly WG has a distaste for Sherri and I think she picks on her. It's not right to bully people into seeing your point of view. I didn't like it with Rosie and I don't like it with Whoopie.

EDited to Add:

Hot Topics was so uncomfortable to watch today. Usually, I think Sherri is stuck on dumb and deserves Whoopi's lectures, but today I felt sorry for Sherri. Whoop wouldn't allow the woman to give her point of view fully, constantly interrupting her. So unfair. Whoop really needs to get off of this holier-than-thou pedestal when it comes to pop culture. Just because she's not interested in it doesn't make those who are less than.

This was exactly what I was trying to say! Except, I don't think Sherri deserves WG lectures.

Edited by LeleAnne, Nov 8, 2007 @ 12:11 PM.

quaismart

quaismart

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 12:15 PM

(Hi guys.) I don't think Barbara likes the current mix of hostesses so much these days. They get to carrying on and she doesn't get to talk so much. It's hard for her to interrupt. And did she actually tell Sherri to shut up today, or was she just kidding?

Angellina

Angellina

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 12:21 PM

I thought I would die when Barbara started talking like a sassy black woman... God, was that embarrassing and horrible. Turned the rest of it off after that. I've had it with the stupid Sherri and bully Whoopi. They are a terrible team.

Tunia

Tunia

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 12:21 PM

Geez, I just love it when BaWa shoots herself in the foot! Isn't she the one who always claimed that she doesn't know the terms/salaries of the contracts of the shrews...that those matters are left up to the other Powers That Be? So today when Sherri is commenting on the show's guest payments vs. her contract, BaWa chimes in with a very haughty "You have a VERY GOOD contract!" The tone that woman uses in her voice is beyond description. She is an embarassment to herself and the show.