Roseanne: You May Call Her 'Bev'...or Sea Hag!

• Please log in to reply

9160 replies to this topic

marsha

marsha

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

Didn't Bev own the hse?

What's a "hse"?

Edited by marsha, Jun 5, 2012 @ 5:23 PM.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

If Roseanne was able to make enough money to support her family while Dan was not working then Jackie was must of been making decent money with the restaurant.

Dan would have been collecting unemployment, which would help. And din't he take random dry wall jobs?

CherryAmes

CherryAmes

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

I always has the impression that the Lunchbox was making pretty good money. Enough to provide an income for a helluva lot of partners for one thing! But also it did seem to me that after the Lunchbox the Connors money worries were not a constant issue anymore whatever income Dan was bringing in. I'm not sure though how much of that was that there really was a good income being made from the Lunchbox or if the writers got tired of writing "we're so broke..." storylines.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

Tonight's episode of Jeopardy! featured a clue dealing with Roseanne, but none of the contestants knew it. In a category called "Home Alone," each clue listed all but one of the children in a TV family and the contestants had to identify the missing sibling. I forget the dollar value, but one of the clues listed Darlene and Becky. There wasn't any visible flash of recognition among any of the contestants when Alex revealed the answer after it proved to be a triple stumper, so it seems none of them knew the Conner kids to begin with, not just that they couldn't remember DJ's name.

I'm not sure how much profit we were supposed to feel The Lunchbox was turning (most restaurants fail, and even those that make it tend not to be immediately profitable); as was noted, the decrease in references to money woes may have been more a result of shifting away from stories that had already been told. I didn't get the sense they were doing much better financially than they had been; the real benefit seemed to be working for herself and having a greater measure of control over her future.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

I didn't get the sense they were doing much better financially than they had been;

I agree and I think we were told as much in the episode where Darlen turns down that job that would pay her, I believe 36,000 a year, and Dan and Roseanne said that was more than they made a year.

Readster

Readster

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

I'm not sure though how much of that was that there really was a good income being made from the Lunchbox or if the writers got tired of writing "we're so broke..." storylines.

Actually, I think at some point they did, as people have mentioned, why wasn't Dan collecting unemployment and he was doing random jobs and they were pretty consistant, not month to month or months apart. Almost every episode Dan said he had just gotten the call for another job. I think at one point and even Roseanne went: "Ok, they've got on kid living with them now. They've done the unpractical things in life, time they just have a balance budget, or we might as just say they were going into foreclosure." It did seem by the last couple of seasons, they were done with the "Connors are always broke" when the truth was, they had no reason to.

Shortcake2001

Shortcake2001

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

From the way the show was written, I got the sense they were living a bit comfortable after the Lunchbox opened up, however, didn't the Conners have losses connected to the bike shop? The Lunchbox had three owners so, profits had to be split three ways, not to mention they must have had some sort of small loan to pay back that they received from the bank to help start the Lunchbox along with any other expenses that come with owning a business. I am guessing by this point, as stated above, all their money woes drastically disappeared until the infamous lotto storyline. But, there was the episode where Dan was building a boat and Roseanne was mentioning money to him and she was pregnant. What was their status at that point as far as income was concerned because I can't remember.

Edited by Shortcake2001, Jun 6, 2012 @ 10:14 AM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

Does anyone know which are the episodes right before the one with the pot? "Is this the sink? Am I shrinking? It's just me & my ganja". Aside from having the funniest lines in the series, this is the episode I realized Laurie Metcalf was pregnant (and I think the episode before they made Jackie pregnant). I'd love to go back and watch the two or three episodes right before that one to see if I missed Metcalf's girth, or maybe there was a break in filming and she was much smaller for those.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

braggtastic, these are the three episodes preceding the pot episode:

Season Six, the following episodes aired in September 1993:

"Two Down, One to Go": Roseanne is heartbroken when Darlene refuses to drive to Chicago with her. In the hope that she will stay, David asks Darlene to marry him. Roseanne eventually goes to Darlene's Chicago apartment and stays the night, and they have a mother-daughter talk.

"The Mommy's Curse": Roseanne has had her fill of Bev at the Lunchbox and Bev agrees to leave, selling her share to Leon. Meanwhile, Jackie returns to dating by accepting an invite from Dan's friend Fred.

You can see Jackie and her slight stomach bulge beginning here at the 1:43 mark in this youtube video of "Mommy's Curse":
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FZFJREowNrM

"Party Politics": DJ begins skipping school. Roseanne is tired of Darlene and David's separation. She hosts a weekend for the two of them. When Darlene discovers that it was her mother's plan, she and DJ team up to plot revenge against her. Jackie refuses to date Fred again after their 1-night stand.

Edited by kemon, Jun 6, 2012 @ 12:31 PM.

sheetmoss

sheetmoss

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

A FYI - Laurie and Matt had their child in Nov 93.

I wonder if Laurie's scenes were filmed out of sequence.

Edited by sheetmoss, Jun 6, 2012 @ 12:37 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

Wow, you guys are fast! Thanks so much. I guess Laurie shared the news of her pregnancy during the summer hiatus & the writers had time to create the Fred storyline.

Was the opening credits sequence new for that year? I swear Metcalf is showing in that segment as well.

Edited by braggtastic, Jun 6, 2012 @ 1:21 PM.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

The clip I provided above is a new opening credit sequence for season six and yes, she does appear to be showing some.

This clip here is the one for season five - it is the last episode of season five which aired in May so I am guessing the episode was filmed in March:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oOZJInuPjtE

Isn't there a site that gives info on what date exactly a tv show was taped/filmed? I know when googling other shows I have been able to find tape dates.

Edited by kemon, Jun 6, 2012 @ 2:17 PM.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

A new 1980's Sitcom Survival game is beginning in the Rec Room soon.

New players welcome. Come over and see us!

tapper1988

tapper1988

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 1:00 AM

I just recently got into this series this summer.. I love it so much, I couldn't appreciate it when I was younger though.

My favourite episode has to be the two-parter in which Jackie gets abused by Fischer. The acting is just wonderful, and even though it's such a serious subject, I'm glad it was addressed. You can really tell obviously how much both Dan and Roseanne love Jackie- Dan's being the most overt by physically punching someone because "it's less not okay to hit someone who hits someone you love", but Roseanne's fear of Jackie going back, and just her support and caring in general felt very lovely and realistic.

I really love the sister relationship that Roseanne and Jackie have- it feels very natural (and the actresses have such wonderful chemistry together).

Edited by tapper1988, Jul 26, 2012 @ 9:57 AM.

Wordsworth

Wordsworth

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

And then DJ asks, "What if a girl hits someone you love?"
Dan: "Are you at all interested in learning where babies come from?"

Patsy Stoned

Patsy Stoned

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

And the sccene between Darlene and Dan--when she comes to bail him out of jail for hitting Fisher--is EPIC. I laugh every time.

windy31

windy31

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

And the crowd "ooohhh" when Dan grabs his coat.

tapper1988

tapper1988

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

I love the crowd reaction to Dan taking his coat off the hook, too.

I also love in the second part, how Roseanne wants Jackie to figure her relationship out on her own, and says she'll wait in the car, but ends up waiting just outside the door. I like to think that it's her way of staying and protecting Jackie in case things got bad again between her and Fischer, but also trusting that Jackie will do the right thing.

pez524

pez524

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

I love the end of that scene as well, when Roseanne picks up the tv to carry out. When Fischer tells her that it belongs to him, she drops it and mocks him. "Oh I just HATE myself for doing that!" It cracks me up every time.

Edited by pez524, Jul 29, 2012 @ 9:04 PM.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

Dan is on his way to jail in the squad car. The police car stops at a light or stop sign and DJ's principal pulls up next to it. The expression on the principal's face and he rolls up the window.

Wordsworth

Wordsworth

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 6:46 AM

Especially in light of his just met Dan that day after years of thinking Roseanne was a widow...and after Dan's assurances that DJ did not find that violent comic in their home.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

Come join us in the Rec Room for the 1980's Sitcom Game. Just begun.

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

Antone else think the show should have had Darlene and David reveal they were gay and were bearding for one anouther?

auntie thesis

auntie thesis

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

Good call, TimeMonkey. I think that was an avenue that should have been explored. Maybe it could have saved that last crap season. In an alternate universe, Darlene and David both admit that they're not straight and decide to go their separate ways...then Darlene discovers that she's pregnant but it's too late...David's in love with some beefcake who gets him.

Hell, they could have gotten their own spinoff if that had happened.

Lollia Pollina

Lollia Pollina

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

In an alternate universe, Darlene and David both admit that they're not straight and decide to go their separate ways...then Darlene discovers that she's pregnant but it's too late...David's in love with some beefcake who gets him.

A bit similar to the plot in The Opposite of Sex. Except in the opposite of sex it wasn't Johnny Galecki's character who was the supposed father; it was his boyfriend.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

I think Roseanne's roast was taped tonight - was anyone there?

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

Tom Arnold was one of the roasters. According to reports it went well and they even hugged in the end.

Angeltoes

Angeltoes

Fanatic

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

I may be a party of one but I can't stand Tom Arnold. He's the annoying clingy guy that you always have to hide from at work or family reunions.

Rdnzl

Rdnzl

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 6:41 PM

I can't help it- I love Tom Arnold. I know he's annoying, but he comes off like a fun-loving guy with a good heart. I like the character of Arnie, too, for the same reasons.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

I think you're both right.