Degrassi: The Next Generation

• Please log in to reply

20279 replies to this topic

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

Katie's and Maya's mom has multiple sclerosis.

Cerebral palsy is a form of brain injury that happens at birth or very early childhood.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....lth/PMH0001734/

MS is a brain and spinal nerve degeneration disease with onset later in life.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....lth/PMH0001747/

NickelbackSucks

NickelbackSucks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

I swear The-N better not have stopped showing season one episodes at 4:30 in the morning.. They haven't even gotten to Ashley on Ecstacy yet!

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:01 AM

That's true! I've been watching Heroes and I think I confused her with Daphne for some reason. Weird and I don't know how that happened. Two completely different Type A characters.

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

Anyone seen the ad for The L.A. Complex? It sort of looks like Melrose Place, but everyone is an actor/showbiz person. Cassie Steele plays 'Abby Vargas'. Wishing her luck. I'd love to see one of our Degrassi kids burst through the Hollywood bubble!

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

Anyone seen the ad for The L.A. Complex? It sort of looks like Melrose Place, but everyone is an actor/showbiz person. Cassie Steele plays 'Abby Vargas'. Wishing her luck. I'd love to see one of our Degrassi kids burst through the Hollywood bubble!

I think Nina Dobrev already took care of that.

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Nutjob I try to pretend that Nina was never on Degrassi, because I hate hate HATED "Mia" so much! So I block that out. A lot. But yes, Nina has certainly burst on through the bubble!

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

I think that Aubrey "Drake" Graham and Nina Dobrev are the most famous Degrassi alumni. It still boggles the mind that skinny Jimmy Brooks is now Drake, a rapper with Young Money. Especially the episodes where he and Sean used to fight. Didn't Sean, who was way shorter and kind of chubby, actually win? I can't believe Emma's boyfriend beat up the man who became the face of Young Money. Crazy times, crazy times. Even funnier is that MTV did a special called "When I was 17" and he did not mention Degrassi at all. I don't think I would either if I were him considering the character. Maybe if I played Spinner or some other cooler character.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:42 PM

MTV did a special called "When I was 17" and he did not mention Degrassi at all. I don't think I would either if I were him considering the character. Maybe if I played Spinner or some other cooler character.

In the stinkymcgee house, he will forever be "Little Jimmy Brooks." Matters not that he's all hip-hop and hanging with the famous now, he's Little Jimmy Brooks. Always all three parts to the name.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

Even funnier is that MTV did a special called "When I was 17" and he did not mention Degrassi at all. I don't think I would either if I were him considering the character. Maybe if I played Spinner or some other cooler character.

Seems like Drake doesn't like to talk about Degrassi at all these days. Guess it ruins whatever street cred he has or something. I know a few rappers have made fun of him for his child star past so that's probably why he'd like people to forget about it. The only thing I remember him saying about the show since his rap career blew up is that the people behind the scenes were not all that supportive of it. According to him, they tried to make the kids feel like they were nothing and this gig was the best they were going to do in their career and he sounded very resentful of that treatment.

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

In the stinkymcgee house, he will forever be "Little Jimmy Brooks." Matters not that he's all hip-hop and hanging with the famous now, he's Little Jimmy Brooks. Always all three parts to the name.

Same in our household. Or we call him Aubrey. I'm surprised he didn't go with a more bad ass rap name, when he began his career. Drake is almost as bad as Aubrey, when it comes to 'street cred'. IMHO he should OWN that he started on Degrassi. That was where a lot of people first heard him rap...of course if anyone of his gangsta friends ever started doing "Spinner's Rap" to his face...LOL!

I keep waiting for Shane Kippel to show up on my TV screen again. Talk about growth as an actor. He went from seemingly reading cue cards to actually making me laugh and cry. C'mon Shane!!!!

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

So I guess that's where the other meaning of the "Smash Into You" title comes from.

Also, I always love it when the Degrassi school subject ties into the theme of the episode. Model U.N. which entails seeing things from other perspectives and reaching common ground, nice one writers. Also nice transition from the Marisol/Mo conversation to the Dave/Alli one earlier in the episode.

A Plot. So, Jacinta caught feelings really badly (amateur). Someone called me out saying that Jacinta wasn't disturbed and just upset about what Dave did to her but her behavior reminded me so much of Eli that I just couldn't really get past it. Or maybe I'm overreacting, I gotta remind myself these are teenagers. So Dalli lives another day, but I wonder if this Jacinta thing is going somewhere. Good acting by Jamil French here as he played the guilt-ridden guy well as finally understood where Jacinta was coming from.

B Plot. Marisol/Mo was cute. I thought this would be the episode where we delve into Marisol supposed troubled backstory but I guess that can wait. The music scene was cute and I like how Shanice Banton has good chemistry with most people she interacts with.

C Plot. Again cute, and I'm glad Adam was in the role of a "mentor" so to speak as opposed to being seen as sympathetic. I hope the LGBT club will get a more prominent focus next season with Adam as the leader. Also liked seeing Adam and Clare interact more, and as brief as it was, I liked the Adam/Zig scene.

Next week, Katie's up walking around with no rehab? I know Canadian medicine is good but...

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Two words. Jahmil French. I didn't care too much about the Jacinta stuff, but nice to see Jahmil get to show some chops here.

Vanilla Siren

Vanilla Siren

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Jamil French did a really good job selling me on Dave's devastation.

I don't really like Marisol but I have to admit Mo and her were kind of sweet.

Claire is about a zillion times more tolerable when she's not in a relationship. I loved that Adam took on a mentoring role.

7LeafClover

7LeafClover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

A Plot. So, Jacinta caught feelings really badly (amateur). Someone called me out saying that Jacinta wasn't disturbed and just upset about what Dave did to her but her behavior reminded me so much of Eli that I just couldn't really get past it. Or maybe I'm overreacting, I gotta remind myself these are teenagers. So Dalli lives another day, but I wonder if this Jacinta thing is going somewhere. Good acting by Jamil French here as he played the guilt-ridden guy well as finally understood where Jacinta was coming from.

Jacinta did seem really disturbed. I know the Degrassi timeline is kind of wonky, but it seems like a lot of time should've passed at this point. Shouldn't she have gotten the message that Dave was no longer interested?

Mikita

Mikita

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

I have never really cared anything about Dave. He's a forgetful character for me. But the actor really brought it tonight. Great job Jahmil.

Jacinta was just bat shit crazy to me. Exactly like Eli or Clare. Over dramatizing things. They had a thing over the summer. He didn't call her back. It should have been lesson learned, not traveling to stalk someone who obviously was not into you and used you for a one night stand.

Edited by Mikita, Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:09 PM.

Linds09

Linds09

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 7:07 AM

For me, last night's episode was why American teen shows need to look to Degrassi for how to introduce new characters and integrate them into the main cast and why teens should be cast as teen characters with a chapter on LGBT characters and their portrayal because Degrassi always seems to get the portrayal correctly or close to accurate. They never seem like cartoons, but real people. Anyway, Jamill French was awesome last night, as was Melinda Shankur, who seems to get less annoying each season. But I wish they'd give Jamill meatier storylines because the kid can take it. He's one that I hope to see more from because he has charisma as well as acting ability. I'm glad that the commercial swerved us all, and it wasn't Dave who was responsible for the accident. Also, the Mo/Marisol "MoMance" was cute, and I liked the swerve of him not crushing on her and just being nice. Awesome. The whole episode was cool, especially with Adam mentoring Tristian and not being "Poor Adam", like everyone else said. I'm glad that Clare pointed out the positive, that he was mistaken for a guy, which means he is passing. So good episode.

Too bad that according to the previews, next week we get more Drew/Bianca/Katie.....with a potential dance off! Which could be awesomely bad. And it looks like there is a hobbit involved. He looks like a former member of Jay's old gang, the Candy Bandits. I didn't think anyone could dance worse than Bianca, but Katie may win the dance off from the previews. It's like a SNL skit.

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

So I guess it's more dangerous to walk and text than it is to drive and text?

Jamil totally sold his anguish and of course Jacinta is BSC. I wonder if she isn't pregnant, or wasn't pregnant or something along those lines. Or maybe just crazy?

Continuing to love Adam and I really liked his interactions with Clare and how she pointed out to him that he was passing. Also love the Adam mentoring of Tristan, even though Tristan's brother was one of the bullies who beat down Adam. (Maybe Tristan had just come out and Owen took it badly and that's why he reacted to Adam that way???)

Momance is cute. Somewhat reminds me of Paige & Spinner, early on in the romance. My problem is that I like Mo more than I like Marisol.

Not looking forward to more Drew-centric drama next week. He's probably my least favorite character at the moment.

Eta: they used something in last night's episode that we haven't seen in AGES. Even though the storyline was focused in 3 parts, they still had other characters interacting in peripheral scenes. Remember in the old days, when you would just see another charcter walk by in the hall, in the background? There was also a Bardell mention. I really enjoyed the UN scenes.

Edited by naneki78, Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:59 AM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

I loved how, when Marisol asked him how she could get Mo to stop liking her, Drew told her: "Just be yourself."

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 2:49 PM

A Plot: Although I am not a huge fan of Dave at times, I think Jacinta was crazy and overreacted way too much. According to Dave, it was only a one time thing, right? Well, he said a little fling, so most girls would get the hint that the guy wasn't interested in anything more after months of no contact. Obviously Dave was wrong in leading her on and sleeping with her in the first place, but Jacinta definitely acted crazy about it. Dave's right; she was almost stalking him and I felt his grief when she was hit by the car and he felt like it was his fault. But at least they didn't have Dave hit her while texting and driving, although I think it would have been a more powerful message if the driver who hit her was texting and driving themselves. Regardless, I don't think Dave'll be texting and driving anymore. But Jahmil knocked the last scene out of the park and I'm glad Alli was there for him in the end.

B Plot: I gotta admit, Mo/Marisol is very cute. I think she becomes less judgemental and less annoying when she's around him. I loved her enthusiasm to Mo's song and I will always think that Marisol gained the crush on Mo and denied it to the point of accusing Mo of having the crush on her. Although did Katie give her the idea of Mo liking her or did Marisol just automatically assume? Oh well, I like these two. Maybe Marisol will become less of a bitch with a guy like Mo. And I'm glad Mo got the girl for a change. I really hope they do start dating and I hope there's very minimal torture about it, because some high school kids can be mean like that. And think about it; both Mo and Marisol are in some sort of minority. Mo's the overweight, not so attractive guy while Marisol's the black, bitchy girl. So it'll be interesting to see more of them.

C Plot: I'm glad they're incorporating the niners into the show more. I'm liking that the niners are not just a part of their grade plots because that means we'd most likely only see the four have plots together. Adam being a mentor to Tristan seems pretty great. And I guess Adam is officially the first one to find out that Owen has a brother. And Adam/Zig's brief scene was hilarious. We see yet another side to LGBT issues: someone who is unaware and not educated in any of it. Because Zig still seemed confused to what 'transgendered' means but he didn't seem to want to ask. But still, hilarious scene right there but I'm glad Tori wasn't actually being a bitch, but literally just misinformed. But I'm hoping that whole 'hook me up with any friends' from Adam to Tristan points to an Adam/Maya romance. I'm glad in that sentence, it implies that Adam will date a grade nine.

Good episode. Now can we just skip the stupid Drew/Katie/Bianca plot next week? Because frankly, I don't really care. I like Drew (when he has scenes with Adam), I kind of like Katie, I like Bianca, but for the love of god, can we just skip this whole love triangle?

So far, in these few episodes alone, I'm loving anything Adam, the niners, Eli/Imogen/Fiona, Clare/Adam scenes, Marisol/Mo, Dave/Alli and KC/school/nogirlsorsports related plots.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

I enjoyed Jamil's acting immensely! Yes, I do believe she crossed the line into crazy. She seemed a bit unbalanced.

Ah Mo and Marisol. I like Mo, I really do, but I LOVE it, really love it when "TV Big" guys and gals get a shot at romance. (sarcasm) Mo is no ripped Adonis but he's not obese or anything. He looks very well proportioned to me. The last time Degrassi had a REAL plus size character was Terri an looked what happened to her? Given the looks of Canada and the US these days seeing REAL overweight teens would be nice and giving them actual plots, that DON'T all revolve around their weight would be nicer.

But score one for Mo!(sorry of my inner fat kid came out with claws)

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

I honestly don't think Terri was "obese" too. If we are comparing to Mo. Really, it doesn't matter anyway in this day and age. Overweight is overweight in this country. People just making it in the obese range and people who have a real weight problem get the same kind of grief and have it pretty hard in this world. People all over the world have it rough in many ways but a believable plotline where one of the more popular people dates someone "not in their league" is always welcome. If done with some care and attention anyways. Judging from the previews, Marisol isn;t going to want to make things public with Mo at first and that is very believable for that character.

I would actually like to see the reverse more often though. Usually, it's the more attractive and/or popular girl dating the guy that's obese or whatever. We rarely see the other way around.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

I would actually like to see the reverse more often though. Usually, it's the more attractive and/or popular girl dating the guy that's obese or whatever. We rarely see the other way around

So true. Because we all know so long as guys are funny and smart they will have girls lined up around the block, remember how much grief Clare got for not being "hot enough" to have so many boyfriends? Lol.

I love Degrassi, I love how they portray a diversity of characters. I agree if thy do Mo/Marisol right it could be interesting.

7LeafClover

7LeafClover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

So true. Because we all know so long as guys are funny and smart they will have girls lined up around the block, remember how much grief Clare got for not being "hot enough" to have so many boyfriends? Lol.

Well, I think Jake was the only one who was really questionable. It was a combination of Clare not being hot and being at her absolute worst, character-wise. And I generally like Clare.

One of the issues with pairing a less attractive girl with a hot guy is most of the female characters would be considered at least cute by others. I personally don't think Jenna, Clare, and Katie are that hot compared to Bianca, Fiona, Alli, Holly J, or Imogen but they do meet conventional standards of attractiveness.

Besides Terri, have they really cast a female character who would not be considered physically attractive by mass media standards? People have brought up Emma during S1, but I always thought she at least fell under "cute" and that a lot of her the unattractive issues were the wardrobe choices (and character personality).

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

I always thought Emma was just in her "awkward phase" but grew into her looks.

The fact that Terri seems to be the only "non conventionally attractive" female character reiterates my point. Yes, probably girls that are not conventionally attractive are less likely to pursue tv/film acting, and this are less likely to be cast in shows like Degrassi but it just goes to show that tv demands girls be at least someone attractive and not the same requirements for male actors. Look at the guy that plays Tristian. (whom I love by the way)

Degrassi has some very beautiful actors in their cast (male and female) who are talented. I don't begrudge them their careers, I just think it would be nice, for the sake of the show to have one or two unconventionally attractive female and male characters who have well rounded storylines. I remember people commenting that the original Degrassi had more "average looking" kids, while this Degrassi has become more and more "Hollywood beautiful". Any highschool will have few truly "Hollywood beautiful" kids, regular kids etc.

I don't say all this to say I don't love the show. The fact that they have a trans character is PHENOMENAL but I think they could improve in this area.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Well, then I should join the cast because I'm eighteen years old and have never had a boyfriend because I guess I'm not considered 'pretty' or 'Hollywood attractive' in any way.

On another note, is it possible to have at least one character that does not date or have boyfriends/girlfriends in high school? I know on tv, being in a relationship is the norm and not being in one is foreign, but me and a lot of my friends have not been in a relationship throughout our four years of high school. Yeah, it's not completely our choice but we're actually happier without all the boy drama and we can focus on other issues, like friends having relationship troubles or school or something. I know, this is tv and people must be dating at least once a season, but I think there's still teenagers that don't date/choose not to date and stick with it until after they graduate.

7LeafClover

7LeafClover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

The fact that Terri seems to be the only "non conventionally attractive" female character reiterates my point. Yes, probably girls that are not conventionally attractive are less likely to pursue tv/film acting, and this are less likely to be cast in shows like Degrassi but it just goes to show that tv demands girls be at least someone attractive and not the same requirements for male actors. Look at the guy that plays Tristian. (whom I love by the way)

I was mostly pondering if it's a supply issue so I cannot necessarily begrudge Degrassi for not casting some plainer girls. And arguably, the actress who played Terri doesn't fall under unattractive by conventional means because she was a plus-sized model in real life.

If we're basing the criteria on Hollywood beautiful, I don't think most of the actors and actresses on Degrassi fit that criteria.

scarlett45

scarlett45

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

jessied112- in the last episode Adam touched on the fact that dating in HS was not the key to happiness, which is something I'm glad he said. Again maybe some viewers don't appreciate that it was ADAM who took that position, given that he was speaking to Tristian (who is gay) and he himself is transgendered, i.e. if you are heteronormative there is no reason you shouldn't be dating in HS.

I do appreciate that kids on Degrassi have other issues- look at how KC had to deal with his mom being released from prision etc, but I do understand what you're saying- every character seems to have a very robust love life. Lol.

I was mostly pondering if it's a supply issue so I cannot necessarily begrudge Degrassi for not casting some plainer girls. And arguably, the actress who played Terri doesn't fall under unattractive by conventional means because she was a plus-sized model in real life.

If we're basing the criteria on Hollywood beautiful, I don't think most of the actors and actresses on Degrassi fit that criteria.

Good point. I do think it may be a supply issue, as young people who feel unattactive etc probably aren't encouraged to pursue film acting.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

On another note, is it possible to have at least one character that does not date or have boyfriends/girlfriends in high school? I know on tv, being in a relationship is the norm and not being in one is foreign, but me and a lot of my friends have not been in a relationship throughout our four years of high school. Yeah, it's not completely our choice but we're actually happier without all the boy drama and we can focus on other issues, like friends having relationship troubles or school or something. I know, this is tv and people must be dating at least once a season, but I think there's still teenagers that don't date/choose not to date and stick with it until after they graduate.

I remember Degrassi used to have a lot else going on besides dating and relationship stories, and the relationship stores they used to have weren't all about generic drama, but actually addressed more complex situations. I think the show has taken a sharp turn away from that, and it's disappointing to me, too. I think it would be great to have more characters and plots not about bf/gf drama.

I was mostly pondering if it's a supply issue so I cannot necessarily begrudge Degrassi for not casting some plainer girls.

Plenty of what we see is just make up and costuming. If they don't want the girls to look Hollywood, it's easy enough to effect that, either by casting or by how they do or don't style the actresses.

7LeafClover

7LeafClover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Plenty of what we see is just make up and costuming. If they don't want the girls to look Hollywood, it's easy enough to effect that, either by casting or by how they do or don't style the actresses.

Are they unrealistic for their socio-economic status though? I work at a fairly affluent (student population-wise) college and do work with freshmen and sophomores so slightly older but not so much. They're dressed to the nines sometimes. I see girls with false eyelashes, full faces of makeup.

I'm not much older than the students I work with, and I'm amazed how differently they dress and behave than when I was an undergraduate. Do high schoolers dress and act like the kids on Degrassi? Except for Holly J, I don't think we've really seen much about money problems in the family recently so I assume most of those kids come from at least middle class backgrounds.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

One of the issues with pairing a less attractive girl with a hot guy is most of the female characters would be considered at least cute by others. I personally don't think Jenna, Clare, and Katie are that hot compared to Bianca, Fiona, Alli, Holly J, or Imogen but they do meet conventional standards of attractiveness.

Yeah, I don't think it's implausible that any of these girls would have boyfriends.

Female actors, and females, in general, might have somewhat of an advantage in terms of make-up and the way one does one's hair. Clothing can also create a certain effect. I would assume that affects the kind of casting that could get done for these kinds of storylines. Conversely, guys might have a bit of an advantage in not really having huge standards heaped on them to look a certain kind of way, although some say that's changing. If a female version of Mo existed, she'd probably succumb to getting a make-over of some kind.

Young kids nowadays seem really stylish too. When I look back to my teenage years, I thought I was the only one who was dressed horribly. However, when someone posted some old photos, I realized that even the popular kids weren't really dressed that well. I think today's generation has a different kind of styling available to them. The teenagers and the adults seem to be buying the same clothes. And with all the free tips available on the internet, maybe it's easier to somehow find a way to re-style your way into a conventional kind of beauty, even if your features aren't picture perfect. I don't think there's necessarily a huge disparity between the way the girls on today's Degrassi look and the kids you'd see on the subway, and I think that partly has to do with fashion and make-up.

Edited to add:

I have wondered about the socio-economic status of the students of Degrassi though. Bianca doesn't seem to have any parents, but that doesn't seem to affect her ability to look like she just walked out of a club.

Edited by DS1, Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:11 PM.