Northern California

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

492 replies to this topic

chezlinds

chezlinds

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 20, 2007 @ 4:48 PM

Well, hellooooo Sacramento! I'm here, too. I'd love to meet up. When, where...I have no idea. I'm pretty new to the area and not so much with the organizing, I'm afraid.

riley

riley

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 20, 2007 @ 8:23 PM

Latrodectra, I really don't know anyplace to go meet people either but have you picked up a copy of SNR? You might be able to find some art type stuff in there.

So, where does everyone want to meet up? I work in the downtown area but don't live down there and I get lost if I step foot in the South area! But I'm open to whatever you all might want to do.

ElleEstTrois

ElleEstTrois

Fanatic

• Interests:TV, SciFi, TV, cultural criticism, TV, black lit, TV, American Politics (such as it is), TV, horses, TV, media studies, TV, library and info studies, TV, film studies, TV, writing (fic, fanfic, lit crit), TV.

Current loves: Avatar, BSG, The Closer, Dexter, Life, Psych, Pushing Daisies, Spongebob (what?).

Canceled too soon: Andy Barker, Blade, Firefly, Invader Zim, Lucky, Brimstone, The Lone Gunmen, Miracles, Profit, Threshhold, Veronica Mars, Witchblade

Reality: TAR, Project Runway.

Other: Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, Speeders

Posted Dec 28, 2007 @ 3:41 AM

Latrodectra, I asked an actor from my job and these are her recommendations.

SARTA (Sacramento Area Regional Theatre Alliance) website is www.sarta.com
To join it-it's like 30 bucks, and they email you when auditions show up. You can check out their website for free and see the links to other theatres.

Also is www.seeaplay.com they also list auditions, what's playing, theatre websites, etc..

The best thing is to check out audition notices, and show up and audition.. the more you do, the better you'll get. You can take classes at CRC, American River, Sac state.. that's good too.. but mainly just trying it and the more you do it, the better you get..

Hope that helps!

PomPom

PomPom

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 5, 2008 @ 3:45 PM

Yay Sacramentonians(?)!! I moved here recently too and would love to do some kind of get-together. Anyone like The Wire? The season premier is tomorrow night (1/6) -- I'd offer to host but don't have HBO. Otherwise something non-TV-related and social is fun too. Second Saturday is next week, which might satisfy some of your art cravings Latrodectra, assuming the weather is better then than it is now.

riley

riley

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2008 @ 12:05 AM

Just stopping in to see how everyone is doing with this crazy weather. How did you all in the Bay Area do? We are pretty wind blown and soggy here in Sacramento.

I don't watch the Wire but I'm up for some kind of get-together. I still haven't heard any ideas about where you all might like to meet.

Latrodectra

Latrodectra

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2008 @ 1:49 PM

Thanks for the recommendations everybody, I really appreciate them. I will check them out.

riley We made it through the storm alright, only lost part of a fence and two dead trees in the back yard and our power outage only lasted about ten minutes so all in all we came out alright.

I'm still up for a meet-up if we can think of a place.

riley

riley

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2008 @ 3:04 AM

Well my Northern California friends, I have a question - will it ever stop raining?

Latrodectra, I've seen a few downed fences. Ugh, glad I don't have to worry about that. I was on my way to work that Friday and was at the intersection at El Camino and Eastern and a garbage can went flying through the intersection. Scared the s**t out of me!

Still up for a meet, we just have to decide where.

Edited by riley, Jan 27, 2008 @ 3:07 AM.

ElleEstTrois

ElleEstTrois

Fanatic

• Interests:TV, SciFi, TV, cultural criticism, TV, black lit, TV, American Politics (such as it is), TV, horses, TV, media studies, TV, library and info studies, TV, film studies, TV, writing (fic, fanfic, lit crit), TV.

Current loves: Avatar, BSG, The Closer, Dexter, Life, Psych, Pushing Daisies, Spongebob (what?).

Canceled too soon: Andy Barker, Blade, Firefly, Invader Zim, Lucky, Brimstone, The Lone Gunmen, Miracles, Profit, Threshhold, Veronica Mars, Witchblade

Reality: TAR, Project Runway.

Other: Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, Speeders

Posted Jan 28, 2008 @ 12:34 AM

Still wet. Still raining.

One of my fave indie bookstores suffered floods. Bad.

My friend's ranch in Lincoln is swimming.

My garage is leaking and the electricity in there is dead. :(

That said, there are new Psych epis and Puppy Bowl is drawing near! Yay! Puppy Bowl. Writers' strike aside, there's new programming, thank God. I'm trying not to watch network shows in of support for the writers-except for TAR, which was not to be skipped.

I, unfortunately don't have much room for gathering, but I'd be up for an outing--even if it's just for coffee and TV chat.

Hope everyone keeps safe and dry.

Latrodectra

Latrodectra

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 1, 2008 @ 7:37 PM

I don't have any room either but I've heard of some good coffee shops. Haven't been yet though.

Yeah, I'm getting tired of the rain. I'm only working on the weekends at this time as I'm trying to find a good full time job. My boxer dog is driving my crazy because we haven't been able to go rollerblading except for once a week when we have a sunny day and even then I get lots of mud on my skates and I slip and slide around.

I've been trying to invent things for him to do inside. He still has trouble with the concept of fetch and the fact that he needs to bring the ball back to me in order for me to throw it again for him to run after.

Baby steps.

riley

riley

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2008 @ 11:45 PM

I have room but a lousy TV for any kind of viewing. Coffee shops...how about Ambrosia? There's plenty of seating but I don't know what time they close. The problem with anything downtown is once the State workers leave (and yes, I'm one of them!), the downtown area pretty much closes up. I'm not too familiar with the midtown area though. I'm out in Carmichael and other than work, pretty much stick to this area.

glyssix

glyssix

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2009 @ 7:00 PM

Hey all. I see that it's been over a year since anyone commented on this thread but I thought I'd give it a try. I just moved to the Bay area from Florida. I don't know any places in town (either SF or the peninsula) that are fun, or any good restaurants/etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for entertaining things to do or places to eat?

trueblue88

trueblue88

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 29, 2009 @ 5:07 PM

Hey Sacramento

Any reality show or soap opera fans?

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

• Interests:Fave shows: The Wire, Treme, Burn Notice, Covert Affairs, Suits, House of Lies, Bleach, Soul Eater, Space Dandy, FLCL
    Fave music: Soul, R & B, Rock 'n Roll (punk to prog), J-Rock

Fave sports teams: San Francisco Giants/49ers; Oakland Raiders; Houston Texans; Mercedes Benz AMG Petronas F1

and...

Cats, electric guitars, songwriting, photography, my girlfriend and her daughter.

Posted Jul 31, 2011 @ 11:28 AM

Almost scared to ask...anime freaks in SF/Oakland/Berkeley?? Anyone??