New York City

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

517 replies to this topic

pianodan

pianodan

Couch Potato

• Interests:Watching: Single-camera sitcoms (all, especially obscure cable entries); high-concept dramedies (plus 24 and Lost, which aren't funny); CBS reality shows (even Big Brother); Stewart, Colbert, Conan, Baseball Tonight. Hobbies: musical theater, crossword puzzles.

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 1:34 AM

Er, bump.

Now that we don't need to save TWoP or kick DC's ass, are there any normal, alcohol-fueled, facial-and-manicure-free, don't-have-to-get-out-of-bed-before-10-AM, Tubeylicious events in our future?

I believe there's something to celebrate, as you know if you read the Bugs/Feedback section like a good little poster -- MisterZ and EponasWildDaughter got married today (yesterday). Where did they meet? That's right. TWoPCon NYC. Maybe they'll tell us more, but the Z-man posted here about it. I think I was there -- was it the one on the Lower East Side? November-ish?

Many congratulations, you crazy kids!

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 2:27 AM

Yeah, I'd be up for something. Anything. Did I mention I have nothing going on with my life?

nelamm

nelamm

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 10:43 AM

Ditto.

Dougintx

Dougintx

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 12:18 PM

Hey New Yorkers. I am going to be moving to NYC in two weeks from Dallas, and since I don't know that many people, would love to see if there can be a Twopcon in February.

Oh, and if you can make all that cold you have go away, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Dougintx, Jan 18, 2004 @ 12:20 PM.

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 1:07 PM

If you are having a TWoP Con in mid-February, please shout out as I shall be over from the UK for a week, around Presidents Day. If you don't mind having a Brit girl tagging along, that is.

Ditto on Dougintx remarks re the cold.

nelamm

nelamm

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2004 @ 10:01 PM

President's Weekend sounds good- but anyone want to do anything for the Golden Globes? Nothing says we can't do two things.

I have no solid ideas, though- anyone?

ecuagoddess

ecuagoddess

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 11:21 AM

I'm in for February....it would be my first Tubey event. I'm a TWoPcon virgin.

pseudostudent

pseudostudent

Stalker

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 9:56 AM

I am going to be moving to NYC in two weeks from Dallas

Then we'll have to see about changing your username to Douginnyc.

mr pseudo & I might be able to do something in February, but March is better - on top of his travel schedule, we're prepping for my grandfather's 100th birthday!

The Last Dodo

The Last Dodo

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 10:37 AM

Well, that'll teach me to rely on "Track this Topic" completely! It had been over 30 days since someone posted so it expired. Glad I checked this section out of curiosity!

Yeah, it's been WAAAAY too long since we've had a regular NYC TWoPCon, as fun as the Sephora one I went to was. The last one was I think June or July in Central Park. February is doable for me, but like pseudostudent, March would actually work a little better. I'm taking a class for the next month and it'll be over by then.

kitten

kitten

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 5:37 PM

Hi, all!
Are those of us in CT welcome in the NY group? I just started posting here, even though I have been lurking for quite some time. I would love to meet some of the fellow TWoPers in the area!

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 5:43 PM

March sounds great---that's about when the weather starts getting a little more tolerable and I manage to climb out of my sweats long enough to go out :)

mara

mara

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2004 @ 7:46 PM

I'm game for whenever. What kind of event are we thinking of? Just going to a bar to hang out (the Tiki Room is fun) or something more planned out like finding somewhere with a tv that will let us screen something snarkworthy?

swtrgrl

swtrgrl

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 6:12 AM

If anyone is interested, there will be some TWoPpers at CBGBs tonight. The Chase Theory is a great Florida band. They go on at 7pm. Check it out, meet some Florida/Philadelphia TWoPpers. It should be fun.

skagirl77

skagirl77

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 11:31 AM

There's been a ton of talk on SATC board (subways, buses and the pros/cons of the outer burroughs) "Visiting Manhattan" plus talk of meeting up. I'll invite them stop over here. Maybe we could even meet up in Brooklyn or Queens!

mara

mara

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 7:47 PM

Well, I'll be coming into the city from Jersey, so I'd prefer Manhattan to the burroughs.

I had lunch today at Blue Smoke, on 27th between Park & Lexington. Good barbeque, big room, and they've got some kind of jazz club downstairs. I don't know if they do anything special on the weekends as far as mid-day brunch or evening music, but it's a good place for us non-vegans.

skagirl77

skagirl77

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 9:24 PM

I think blue smoke might be a bit pricey & gets pretty crowded. I think a neutral bar (near some subway stops) would be choice.

mara

mara

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 10:46 PM

True enough -- I didn't really notice the prices because it's restaurant week (yay!) so they had a price fixe menu (plus it was work thing, and the vendor was treating us).

I'm more of an eater than a drinker (ok, I'm a total lightweight - one drink is all I can handle<g>), and bars can be a noisy place to try to get to know people. But as long as someone scopes out the acoustics of a place beforehand, we should be ok.

skagirl77

skagirl77

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 10:09 AM

Yea, I think previous bar hops were to places that were large, quiet enough for NYC, and offered food. The problem (I think) with restaurants is firming up the exact # of people, and depending on the size, finding a place that everyone is cool with.
There's definitely enough places to pick from. East Village there's Ike's, which is mid range price but never too crowded at happy hour (the few times I've been) & I believe has food. There's a divey place which is pretty large on the LES, called like Club Lotus which is neither a club nor a lotus, but tons of seating, and off the Rivington/Ludlow stretch that it's not too crowded (i've only been a couple times but would be willing to scope..but no food). Someone else can pipe up with some ideas above 14th Street.

Edited by skagirl77, Jan 28, 2004 @ 10:14 AM.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 1:00 PM

DTUT? 2nd Ave/85th. I'm a westsider, but I would make the trip crosstown. It's near the Lex/86th 4,5,6 stop.

AlmondEyes

AlmondEyes

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 9:18 PM

I had no idea that this thread existed. Thanks, skagirl, for posting the link at the SATC forum.

I'll keep checking to see where and when everyone decides to meet. Sounds like fun!

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 9:21 PM

DT UT sounds perfect...I'll try to forget that the last time I was there it was on a VERY bad date!

mara

mara

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 11:59 PM

Perfection iMissEthan, it's got something for everyone! And so very comfy-looking.

pianodan

pianodan

Couch Potato

• Interests:Watching: Single-camera sitcoms (all, especially obscure cable entries); high-concept dramedies (plus 24 and Lost, which aren't funny); CBS reality shows (even Big Brother); Stewart, Colbert, Conan, Baseball Tonight. Hobbies: musical theater, crossword puzzles.

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 5:03 PM

I'm a westsider, but I would make the trip

All the way from 86th to 85th! Hee...

Okay, good work, that place looks great... March? Fine, though I'm rehearsing or performing all but a few nights that month, that's my own problem. How about a day of the week? Weekends might be hard to reserve the "back room" in a hip 'n' happenin' spot like DT/UT. Although many of you surely work normal jobs and prefer Fri/Sat. Somebody, run with this! (I don't plan parties, it's rare enough I even attend them...)

nelamm

nelamm

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 5:33 PM

Anything but Friday'd be good.

TracyLynne

TracyLynne

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 4:42 PM

I'm good for weekend nights (sorry, pianodan, I'm one of those normal job people, much to my chagrin), and will even travel that far uptown. March sounds good, maybe it won't be so freakin' frigid outside.

iMissEthan

iMissEthan

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 2:39 PM

All the way from 86th to 85th! Hee...

Quit stalking me, pd. Seriously though, trekking all the way east to 2nd Avenue is the very least I could do to meet up with you good people.

I would just suggest doing it on a night when there is no band scheduled at DTUT. March works for me - I don't care about college basketball, and most shows will be in reruns after Feb sweeps. Maybe stay away from Thursdays for the Survivor-philes amongst us.

dimples1

dimples1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 2:40 PM

Marlaas wrote:

DT UT sounds perfect...I'll try to forget that the last time I was there it was on a VERY bad date!

Wow. I've had a BDA (bad date experience) at DTUT also. I haven't been back since.

screamapiller

screamapiller

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 7:03 PM

Wow. I've had a BDA (bad date experience) at DTUT also. I haven't been back since.

well, this is a bit freaky - as another member of the club with a bad date experience at DTUT.

Not that I wouldn't go there again... but.... could this be some sort of omen?

Edited by screamapiller, Feb 10, 2004 @ 11:47 PM.

eventide82

eventide82

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 15, 2004 @ 2:49 AM

Hi NYC TWOPers....I'll be visiting New York in April/May from hot Melbourne, Australia and was wondering if anything was planned for that time?? If not, then no worries....

Hawkwild

Hawkwild

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2004 @ 10:46 AM

Is anything going on around NYC about watching the finale of "The Apprentice?" Not even entirely sure where to post this, so I figured I'd try here and hope that some kind soul can redirect me if this is the wrong place.