London

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

379 replies to this topic

sjs

sjs

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 11:43 AM

Vickyc007, I'm sure we'll have another con coming up in early 2004 and you're very welcome! Watch this space...
How does late Jan/early Feb look for people? I'm generally good for Fridays/Saturdays except Sats 24th and 31st.

Groovy Lady

Groovy Lady

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 3:00 AM

I'll try to be good, I promise.

That won't do at all.

Edited by Groovy Lady, Jan 13, 2004 @ 3:01 AM.

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2004 @ 4:56 AM

That won't do at all.

Obviously, I meant it in a dirty sexy way! When I'm good, I'm really really good, but when I'm bad I'm better!

Count me in for Late Jan/Early Feb, although I am off to New York on Feb 12th so preferably before then.

AllyOop

AllyOop

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 10:51 AM

Okay, shall we start planning for a February gathering?

Hey, I've just realized that I met y'all at a Con in January last year. Aw, it seems like I've known you all way longer than that!

Edited by AllyOop, Jan 22, 2004 @ 10:53 AM.

Groovy Lady

Groovy Lady

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2004 @ 8:40 PM

It certainly seems like it was just yesterday!

NikkiJ

NikkiJ

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 6:15 PM

Hey people, atm I live in Somerset but come to London/Surrey all the time. I'm in the process of moving back to Surrey.

So when you guys have another gathering I'd like to crash it. Ta muchly

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2004 @ 9:49 AM

Ok, Londoners. I've been reading about all of these other TWoP Cons that are being held around the globe, and I'm thinking that good ol' Blighty is letting the side down a bit. We did not fight em' on the beaches to have the rugs pulled out from under us, what what etc. (and other war-like nonsense.) So I am taking matters into my own hands. We can't let them get away with this and not have a TWoPCon of our own.

Therefore, I have decided that we need to go undercover, invade a local pub/bar and imbibe copious amounts of alcohol plus get food when necessary. Here is the battleplan otherwise known as "Operation DrinknSnark". We meet on Saturday 28th February at 5:30-6ish in a bar/pub and get very drunk.

Only drawback, my knowledge of decent places in the West End is pretty poor. I was thinking of the Captain's Cabin Pub on Norris St (just off Haymarket) but this is just a pub and only does usual pubgrub. I was also thinking of TGI's Picaddilly for cocktails and food but this is v expensive and gets stupidly busy or Cafe Pacifico Tex-Mex Bar/restaurant next to Covent Garden - nicer but even harder to get a table unless we pre-book.

It needs to be a place where people can easily spot one another therefore places like O'Neills and Walkabout are out.

The date is set - you pick the venue. Let the debate commence.

Edited by vickyc007, Feb 6, 2004 @ 9:50 AM.

AllyOop

AllyOop

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2004 @ 2:55 PM

Ooh! Cafe Pacifico is good fun. And they gave us free drinks that one time, so that's a good sign, I think.

vickyc007, I like your thinking. However, that day doesn't work for me (visting parents). Any chance of two weekends after that? That would be Saturday 13th March. Any thoughts?

Couch Baron

Couch Baron

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2004 @ 7:41 PM

I'm away from February 26th until the end of March, so I'm afraid I'm out for either of those dates.

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2004 @ 6:27 PM

I am totally open to a change of dates. It was just a starting point for a discussion and as for Cafe Pacifico, well its always been a fave! There's also the place formerly known as Down Mexico Way just off Regent St (on Swallow St next to Veeraswamy) , although they have hiked the prices up since the new takeover.

FrannyBanany

FrannyBanany

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2004 @ 7:42 AM

One huge vote for Captain's Cabin, whatever the date. I tried to go to Cafe Pacifico last Saturday (at 6:30 PM), and was told I'd have to wait 45 minutes for a table for four. Then sauntered on to the Captain's Cabin, and immediately got a table, which expanded to fit the eventual party of 10. It smells and the bar staff is grumpy, but I think fits the TWoP needs for a knees up.

Buni

Buni

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 11:16 AM

Wait, Cafe Pacifico, it's all coming back to me now.....

Ah. Tequila. I remember Cafe Pacifico. Just. Oy.

Yay! Pacifico's fine if you book in advance, and hey, they were handing out the free drinks in the end after all (even if the evil bar-person did keep destroying my shot-glass pyramid).

Couch Baron

Couch Baron

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2004 @ 11:29 AM

You remember Cafe Pacifico?

FrannyBanany

FrannyBanany

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 6:06 PM

They must hate me at Pacifico; they've never let me book. It's definitely a much cooler locale, and less smelly (mmm, tequila).

AllyOop

AllyOop

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2004 @ 5:56 AM

Heh.

That's excellent.

Good times have been had at Cafe Pacifico. And mmmm, Mexican food.

Buni

Buni

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2004 @ 8:02 AM

Ooh, mee-ow, girly....

What?! What?! I do remember Cafe Pacifico! A mere double-figure swallowing of tequila shooters cannot wipe out the memory of just one evening, I tell you!

Now the next morning, that's a whole 'nother fuzzy nightmare. I do remember it, but what I chiefly remember is the overwhelming wish to be already dead. And preferably buried last week sometime. So I never could've gotten to Pacifico in the first place, thankyouverymuch.

Yay! Cafe Pacifico! Let's go there again! I got free tequila shooters from the awed barman! :]

Edited by Buni, Feb 11, 2004 @ 8:04 AM.

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2004 @ 8:20 AM

Fine by me - their strawberry margaritas and excellent chimichangas always appeal!

ETA I've just realised I'm staying at my parents place on the 13th March - Do'h. Can we do 20th March instead at Cafe Pacifico??

What a dolt I am!

Edited by vickyc007, Feb 11, 2004 @ 8:32 AM.

Couch Baron

Couch Baron

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2004 @ 11:00 AM

At this rate, I'll be back for the next one.

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2004 @ 5:17 AM

Hey, i just said we had to organise a TWoP con. At no point did i say it was going to be in the near future!! (smirk)

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2004 @ 10:49 AM

Bumpity Bump Bump. (although it is two posts in a row - sorry)

Saturday March 20th is rapidly approaching.

Are you all still up for Cafe Pacifico or should we cancel this?

If you are interested in coming, please say so

Edited by vickyc007, Mar 2, 2004 @ 10:49 AM.

EnglishMuffin

EnglishMuffin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2004 @ 4:52 PM

Hi all! I've been a TWoP reader for a while now but I've only just got round to looking at the forums - I hadn't realised there was such an active Brit contingent!

My point being... Room for one more at Cafe Pacifico?

sjs

sjs

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2004 @ 1:21 PM

vickyc007, I can make 20th - afternoon start please, as living fairly far out (maaan) my pumpkin turns back into a coach comparatively early.

And EnglishMuffin, there's always room for more!

Looking forward to meeting you both. Where are the rest of the London reprobates? (It's Friday night, so I'm not sure I should ask...)

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2004 @ 6:53 AM

Shall we say 5pm start?

Anymore folks want to join in - please post. At the moment we are small but perfectly formed.

sjs

sjs

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 6, 2004 @ 2:52 PM

Small but perfectly formed? Speak for yourself!
Oh, you meant the TWoPCon as a whole....

AllyOop

AllyOop

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 6:22 AM

I'm in for the 20th too. Has someone made a reservation?

EnglishMuffin

EnglishMuffin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 8:48 AM

5pm sounds good. Do we need a reservation at that time? Never been before so I don't know how early it gets busy!

AllyOop

AllyOop

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 10:20 AM

We probably should have one - just to be on the safe side. And mmmmm, Mexican food!

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2004 @ 5:22 PM

I was planning to make another announcement on Friday, then pass to Glark to update, then reserve it this weekend. So far we have on the list:

vickyc007
sjs
Englishmuffin
Allyoop

Buni, Frannybanany and CouchBaron are you coming out to play?

Plus anymore for anymore - I'm pretty sure i've missed some people...

Edited by vickyc007, Mar 9, 2004 @ 5:24 PM.

NikkiJ

NikkiJ

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2004 @ 5:36 PM

I would love to come to this, but unfortunatley I have a prior engagement with Barry Norman! I'm going to a talk he's giving, it was supposed to be in November but it got rearranged for the 20th March. The annoying thing is, I'm in Surrey the following weekend.

Ah well, next time.

Couch Baron

Couch Baron

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2004 @ 6:27 PM

I'd love to drop in but...I'm in LA right now. It's a little far.