Philadelphia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

222 replies to this topic

RoonyTunes

RoonyTunes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 1:42 PM

Consider me in! I'm driving from Manayunk, so if anyone needs a ride from that general area, feel free to let me know.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 8:07 PM

BoDiva, am I spazzing or did you forget to post the adddress?

I can take a ride tomorrow and search out a few parking lots and prices.

alex richmond

alex richmond

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 11:39 PM

Joy Tsin Lau is right by the SW corner of 11th and Race -- on Race.

And woo hoo BoDiva! Way to organize.

pseudostudent

pseudostudent

Stalker

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 9:46 AM

I'll second that woo hoo! and raise you a huzzah!

Here's a map marking Joy Tsin Lau.

BoDiva, do they serve alcohol at JTL? I just want to be sure I'm interpreting your post correctly on that point.

Edited by pseudostudent, Jan 29, 2004 @ 9:53 AM.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 8:31 AM

Somehow TWoP has come to the attention of our corporate security. So now I can't post to the forums from work (grrr). But at least I can still read recaps.

Joy Tsin Lau has a website. And yes, they serve alcohol. The address is 1026 Race. (And I figured with more than a month left until our little shindig, I'd hold some details for suspense. Silly me.)

Come on kids. Let me know if you're in!

alex richmond

alex richmond

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 1:38 PM

Maybe it'll just be you and me doing Shaq impressions at each other across the lazy susan.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 3:43 PM

Kinda wussed out on venturing too far out of the neighborhood due to the weather and all. I'll scope out parking lots Sunday, I have to go into center city for a superbowl party so I can just swing by the area.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 7:23 PM

Put me down for two, since I like to torture my boyfriend by making him meet unfamiliar people. We'll be driving, so if anyone wants to catch a ride, let me know. The closest imaginary town to me is Blawenburg (AKA, the junction of Rtes 518 and 601). Post or e-mail me if you're interested in carpooling.

And big thanks for the disabled parking info, BoDiva. I'm still on my feet, so I don't need any special accomodations other than parking. Just never pick me for your relay team.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 8:12 PM

Maybe it'll just be you and me doing Shaq impressions at each other across the lazy susan.

Sadly, we need at least six to rate a lazy Susan! But I'm taking that as a yes. So we're on our way.

Puds38, this week is the Auto Show, not the time to be tooling around the neighborhood, since, obviously, folks who come to the Auto Show tend not to take public transportation and the neighborhood is a zoo.

On the day of DimSumCon--The Philly it is the Horticultural Society members only day of the Flower Show. So it will be busy in the neighborhood, but not as busy as it can be. If you plan to park north and west of the restaurant, you'll do better. There are loads of lots that cater to Hahneman and commuters in that direction, and are therefore cheaper than the ones that cater to the Convention Center.

There is also a really big lot across from the Reading Terminal Market (entrance off of Arch between 12th and 13th) that gives a discount if you get stamps from merchants. So plan to shop at the Amish and farmers market and such, and get discounted parking.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2004 @ 8:57 PM

I think there's a cheapie lot around 8th and Arch, but I need to double check the the exact location & prices. I may still swing by there, I just won't go past 11th Street. Traffic usually doesn't get too crazy unless you're close to the Reading Terminal.

jadeddaisy

jadeddaisy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2004 @ 1:17 PM

I won't be able to make it, for reasons which are threefold:

1) I work on Saturday afternoons
2) I already have plans to be in NYC that weekend.
3) I'm still scared of dim sum since the last TARcon.

Have fun, everybody, and I'll catch y'all next time!

pseudostudent

pseudostudent

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 10:02 AM

Hee, it looks like bamboo is growing out of Ms. Mabel's head!

Count mr p & me as definites. We'll have to work on our Shaq impressions.

If you like horticultural stuff, mr p highly recommends the Philadelphia Flower Show. He went 6 or 8 years back and still has the orchid he picked up there. It blooms beautifully every year. And apparently the displays are amazing.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 5:14 PM

I finally did a parking lot run last night. As I recall the lots above 11th street & closer to Reading Terminal tend to be more expensive. There are a quite few lots between 8th & 10th . There's one outdoor one on the corner of 8th & Arch that's only $8 all day if you get there in time for early bird parking (before 10 AM) and there's an indoor lot on 8th Street between Arch and Cherry that's $10.

See you all there!

Edited by Puds38, Feb 2, 2004 @ 11:12 PM.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 11:03 PM

Sorry jadeddaisy, I forgot you were local. But there's no reason someone can't plan a barcon for February. I must admit I'm much more comfy with a food at a table thing. I'm never really comfy at a bar (especially in states where they still allow smoking in bars).

And with the Psuedo's and Puds38 we have enough for a lazy Susan!!! (Puds, are you coming solo? And before when in the AM is the early bird parking?)

If you want to do the Flower Show, you'll have to stay over. It opens for the public on Sunday. (and Sunday morning is the least busy time. It can be a real zoo.)

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2004 @ 11:13 PM

Yes I'll be coming solo. I edited the post to show the early bird time.

gameon

gameon

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 8:24 AM

I'll be coming, probably on my own, from Market Street East Station.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 7:18 PM

gameon, would you mind mentioning this TWoPCon in the JoA Meet Market? I've been lurking there, so I know there's a bunch of Philly people (but it seems too brazen to mention it in my introductory post). Looking forward to meeting you...

pseudostudent

pseudostudent

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 9:56 AM

Okay, so far I have the following people attending:

alex richmond
BoDiva
cheesesteak
gameon
pseudo + mr pseudo (aka DingoDan - ask him about it)
Puds38
RoonyTunes
Shelwood + Mr Shelwood
Stardancer2001

Maybes:
bungle3358

Did I miss anyone?

Edited by pseudostudent, Feb 10, 2004 @ 9:25 AM.

gameon

gameon

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 11:10 AM

FYI - I posted a notice the Joan of Arcadia board so there may be a few more responses coming later. As Shelwood pointed out, there are a bunch from Philly on those boards who may not necessarily be aware of these arrangements.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 4:14 PM

Count me in for March 6th! I'll bring a camera this time. {;"D

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 11:55 PM

Thank you Pseudostudent. I'd already managed to miss one.

Gameon, you wouldn't be a hockey fan, would you?

gameon

gameon

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 7:18 AM

I have to admit, BoDiva that the most experience I have with hockey was my field hockey team in high school. I've never seen an ice hockey game (though I've heard they're exciting ... yes, you can shoot me now).

Do you ask because of my name? It's actually the name of an improvisational group I was involved with in college.

Edited by gameon, Feb 5, 2004 @ 7:32 AM.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 9:32 AM

Yes, I asked because of your name. I am a hockey geek. Addicted. Yes, hockey games are very exciting. (And hockey boys are so darned cute! At least, when they have their bridges in.)

gameon

gameon

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 9:35 AM

Since I've never really watched games, I don't know who the players are, thus I don't know how cute they are. However, I do remember Eric Lindros. *sigh*

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 8:34 AM

You can count me in.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2004 @ 12:26 AM

Cheesesteak, you are so counted!

lyz2814

lyz2814

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 12:04 PM

me! me! I'm from the JoA board, so I just read the Phillycon message...I'll be taking the train. What time do the festivities start?

(I swear I looked and looked through the thread...)

gameon

gameon

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 2:28 PM

I'll set a date today instead of waiting until this weekend. DimSumCon--The Philly will be held Saturday, March 6. This gives plenty of notice and ends the "when" questions. Time to be determined after I have an idea of how many will be participating and then chat with the nice folks at Joy Tsin Lau--but probably 11 a.m. or noon.

lyz2814 - This is what I'm going on. I figured we'd specify the time closer to the date.

phillygirl22

phillygirl22

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 4:02 PM

If it's not too late, count me in too. I love Joy Tsin Lau's!!

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2004 @ 4:06 PM

My count now is 13. I was waiting to get closer to the date so we had a rough count. I'm not sure they'll let us reserve tables (they may, because there are so many of us, but they don't always), which is why I haven't set the time, yet. But I'll call this week and try. (If they will, noon would be good, because some of the fun food comes out later. If they won't, 11 is when they open and it would give us the best chance of being seated together quickly.) I'll let you all know (and get the Con posted on the definite Con section) as soon as I do that (but not until after the root canal tomorrow).