Philadelphia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

222 replies to this topic

alex richmond

alex richmond

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:42 PM

Is this thing still on? I may be able to go.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 2:28 PM

I don't think anybody ever actually made up their minds. I would be up for it if I could get some definite responses.
I think we got as far as agreeing the 11th would be a good date, but no one seems to want to commit to either:
Standard Tap
D & B
Jillian's
I can look back and email the people who actually replied, I'll post if we can come to a consensus.

ETA: I may not be able to email everyone. If you are interested, send me a private email & please pick a place. Personally I'd like Standard Tap since, in view of the football game D & B's and Jillian's are likely to be crazed. If I can get enough responses by Thursday 5pm, I'll post it in the permanent TWoPcon thread.

Edited by Puds38, Jan 5, 2004 @ 5:09 PM.

RoonyTunes

RoonyTunes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:18 PM

What about the Eagles Playoff Game on Sunday, Jan 11th? Will the bars be mobbed with fans who will be screaming?

In any case, I'd like to attend possibly even if Sunday night means missing Sex and the City - never quite the same when I tape it and watch it later. Can't really explain why.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:06 AM

I was really looking forward to this, but the game on Sunday means you have to count me out. I am originally from Wisconsin, and, by law, I am required to wear my lucky Packer shirt, pullover, hat, while wrapped in my lucky Packer afghan. So, what I'm saying is, I love TWoP, but I love my Packers, and I don't want to get the crap kicked out of me. Keep me in mind for next time -- I have no particular overriding obligation to any other sports team, I swear.

RoonyTunes

RoonyTunes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 8:47 AM

Any chance we can move the date from the 11th, given the Eagles playoff game now? I'd love to attend, but festivities with other birds fans may deter that as it appears.

How 'bout the following weekend? Would Jan 17th or 18th be better?

On another note, would anyone be interested in getting together for a SATC gathering? I believe Twenty Manning in the Rittenhouse Area televises it weekly. Maybe even have a few cosmos together for the finale? Anyone, anyone? Nana?

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 9:57 AM

I'm open to new dates. I'd just like to see this happen.

RoonyTunes

RoonyTunes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:30 AM

Same here, Puds! I've been here since it was MBTV and still haven't made it a single TWOPCon, so I really want to be able to attend this next one.

Let's throw out alternate dates then. Since someone mentioned horrendrous traffic on Fridays, what about preferences for upcoming Sats or Suns? I guess Superbowl Sunday is definitely out (hate to imagine what this town's gonna be like if the Birds finally make it there this time!)

AltoChoirGirl

AltoChoirGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 2:30 PM

I could possibly make it a Con on Sunday morning-early afternoon.

tygeruga1221

tygeruga1221

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:49 PM

What about a Brunch or a Morning Coffee Gathering the Saturday after Super Bowl Sunday? The first Sunday in February? There are a ton of good places all over the city for either.

RoonyTunes

RoonyTunes

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 4:51 PM

I like the idea of a morning coffee get-together or brunch. Sunday would be good for this and there are indeed a ton of great places in Philly ideal for this setting.

What abt the first Sunday in Feb? Will this work for folks???

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2004 @ 10:37 AM

Sorry I haven't been around for a bit. I was a little under the weather.

Anyway, Sunday mornings are bad for me. Saturday's are better. However, at this point I'm not free any weekends until about mid Feb. So just throw out dates/time/etc... and I'll see if I can make it.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2004 @ 10:47 AM

A dim sum CON on February 7? Joy Tsin Lau has big round tables with lazy susans and wonderful sticky rice.

alex richmond

alex richmond

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 12:55 PM

Ooh! There's great dim sum in South Philly, at Southern Sky Restaurant. 8th and Washington. My fave spot in Chinatown is Joy Tsin Lau.

gameon

gameon

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 2:30 PM

Argh! I just found this thread!!! I really want to come but there's a friggin baby shower out of state for my cousin.

There's no way you would be willing to switch dates again? Or maybe a mini-con this weekend (Jan 24-25)?

I would love to chill with you guys. Argh!

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2004 @ 11:50 PM

Arghhh!!!! You guys are killing me. I'm at an anniversary party that night.
IN. CHINATOWN. (Ho San Gi or however it's spelled)

......What time, if you guys are in Chinatown maybe I can sneak out

alex richmond

alex richmond

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2004 @ 10:20 AM

I think it's Ho Sai Gai. Last week I went to Wong Wong's where two wongs make some damn good Hong Kong style food. Small plates, CHEAP, and yummy. I had eel fried rice, roast duck, and fish wrapped in bean curd with Chinese greens. the bill was $18.

Okay, when is this con again? Who's driving this train? BoDiva?

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2004 @ 10:08 PM

I hadn't planned to drive. Someone further up thread started all this. But the brunch idea caught my eye. It's nostalgia for DimSumCon at TARCON last summer/fall. So if we do decide on dim sum, I'll talk to the nice folks at JTL.

But we could try to get a date consensus again. I'll start. I could make 2/7,8, 22, 28, 29 (it might be kind of fun to meet 2/29....we can't do that again for four years).

I know Joy Tsin Lau serves brunch from 11 to 3 on saturday and sundays.

Warning. This is not a vegetarian or kosher friendly meal. Nearly everything has pork or shrimp in it (although there are vegetarian dim sum restaurants). So if we have folks who want to gather for whom this would be a problem, we should reconsider. (I'm not a fake meat person, so vegetarian dim sum? naahh.)

If everyone would mention this thread and the potential CON to folks in the Meet Markets of other threads they frequent, that would be a nice way to get more people involved.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2004 @ 11:17 PM

Warning. This is not a vegetarian or kosher friendly meal.

Thanks for the warning as long as they serve liquor I'm fine.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 1:40 AM

Does it have to be in February? This winter the weather has been horrible so far. Late Spring or Early Summer would be a better time to organize an outing.

We can still meet in Chinatown, though! I'm a sucker for Dim Sum.

pseudostudent

pseudostudent

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 9:37 AM

Warning. This is not a vegetarian or kosher friendly meal.

[still frustrated from TARconDimSumCon]Boy, I'll say.[/frustrated]

March or later looks better for mr pseudo & me too.

cheesesteak

cheesesteak

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 12:25 PM

I think whoever's driving needs to just pick a date/place and stick with it, otherwise it'll never hapen. Schedule it and I'll try to be there even though I really have no idea what a TWoPCon is or does or looks like or whether I have to wear a funny hat.

Edited by cheesesteak, Jan 27, 2004 @ 12:33 PM.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 1:05 PM

There's no law against multiple gatherings, so no need to postpone until spring/summer. But in order to get a relatively healthy bunch together (and I mean merely a dozen or two, any bigger and I'll run screaming), I'm willing to move into March 6, 7, 14. After that we're into basketball playoffs and then Stanley Cup Playoffs and I'm not driving while intoxicated by exciting playoff action (or sleep deprived, when I get cranky, and everyone will hate me, and I'll wonder how I got roped into this). I'm removing 2/29 because I'm singing the Durufle Requiem that morning.

This concession to timing is really just a strong desire to see Psuedostudent again when she is unpressured by organizing a gathering of thousands (or close to it). (All the way from DC? for us? Aaww. You know, Philly's more fun if you sleep over--the ad campaign says so. So anyone from outside town should check out the two nights for price of one deals at philly hotels and come see us/the new Consitution Center/the Flyers. I'm just saying.)

And cheesesteak, it is merely TWoPers coming together to talk, drink, sometimes eat, and laugh (at the world, television, each other, ourselves). A cheesesteak head would be appropriate headgear, I'm sure.

After I see if there is any more feedback, this weekend I will pick a date, time, and Joy Tsin Lau.

Edited by BoDiva, Jan 27, 2004 @ 1:07 PM.

pseudostudent

pseudostudent

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 1:53 PM

Aw, thanks, BoDiva, that's sweet of you to say. Actually, I'm in central Jersey - I went to DC just for an overnighter, and happily, KaraokeKon koincided. But I agree with the statement that Philly's more fun if you sleep over, so come one, come all! Or at the very least, stay long enough to try out the Franklin Institute's Skybike!

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 3:42 PM

Count me in. I'm also in Central Jersey -- Montgomery/Princeton to be specific, in case anyone wants to carpool or convoy down. I have access to a minivan, if needed. I don't know Philly well; would the train make more sense?

alex richmond

alex richmond

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 5:09 PM

If you're in Princeton, it's a really easy drive to Philly. Just take Rt 1 south to 95 south. Not bad at all, off-peak. Parking is a bit of a bear though, and Chinatown is right by Market East. You could take the R7 from Trenton right there, then walk to Chinatown a few blocks away.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 6:40 PM

Parking can be a bit of a bear. There are a few that have reasonable prices. If a place is picked I volunteer to scope out adresses and post them.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Jan 27, 2004 @ 7:20 PM

Thanks, both of you. Driving sounds like a good option, so parking recon will be much appreciated, Puds38. (btw, I also have a disabled parking placard, if that makes a difference. Probably not...) Anyone who wants to carpool can post here or e-mail me (address in profile).

gameon

gameon

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 9:38 AM

So, I'm sorry, is this con definitely taking place on the weekend of February 7?

bungle3358

bungle3358

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 11:48 AM

I'm a Philly person too, and would love to come. But my schedule is a little unpredictable, so I'm not going to weigh in on time or place. You all decide and I'll see if I can make it.

BoDiva

BoDiva

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2004 @ 1:13 PM

I'll set a date today instead of waiting until this weekend. DimSumCon--The Philly will be held Saturday, March 6. This gives plenty of notice and ends the "when" questions. Time to be determined after I have an idea of how many will be participating and then chat with the nice folks at Joy Tsin Lau--but probably 11 a.m. or noon.

In Philadelphia the first and last (corner) spots on each block are reserved for handicapped parkers. The meters are shorter (accessible) and bright blue. If you are coming with a few others, driving is a good thing, even if you park in a garage or lot. Meters that say "2 hours" mean that. You may be ticketed even if you feed the meter if your car has been in that spot for more than 2 hours.

If you are coming alone or in a pair it is probably cheaper to train in (you can drink at lunch without driving home) and very convenient as Alex Richmond said. The Market East Station (where all regional commuter trains eventually meet) is just two blocks south. NJT folks can take the High Speed Line into the 8th Street station, just four blocks away, or can take buses in to 10th and Market, again just two blocks away. And Septa bus riders have a gazillion options to get them to the area. Subway riders take the Market Frankford line to 11th and Market (again, just 2 blocks).

Dim Sum is inexpensive. We'll use the time honored method of splitting the check evenly across the table. Usually ends up being about $6-10 per person for food. If anyone is a complete lush, we trust you to chip in appropriately for your drinkie poos. And of course if we eat for HOURS in the company of our TWoPer pals, we'll end up eating more. But you can imagine it won't be an expensive thing.

I'll start a list (and check it more than twice) of who says they'll be coming. Please just let me know, so we (and JTL) can be prepared.

Edited by BoDiva, Jan 28, 2004 @ 1:14 PM.