Chicago

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

258 replies to this topic

thingything

thingything

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 2:31 PM

May I suggest The Ten Cat Bar on Ashland near Irving Park? They have a nice back room, plenty o' room at the bar (if it is not Fri or Sat night) and if we ask nice and plan we could have the TVs tuned to something snarkworthy. If enough folks say they're in, I'll look into planning this.

SheriffTruman

SheriffTruman

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 10:36 AM

Finally, someone else who wants to plan a TWoPCon! ;)

Yeah, I'm game.

jennifuh

jennifuh

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:32 PM

Has anyone been to the turtle races at Big Joe's? It's divey but fun.

crazy_girl

crazy_girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 5:00 PM

I'm not a planner but I'm a joiner--I'd love to get together with other Chicago Twoppers for some snarkage and drinks.

chilis

chilis

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2004 @ 5:28 PM

I'd like to have a ChiCon too. I might be able to help set stuff up. Where is the Ten Cat bar? That location is Right near my house.

Red Targetter

Red Targetter

Couch Potato

• Interests:Oh no! Everything?<br /><br />Twitter: GinnyRED57

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 11:13 PM

Aw, what about a ChiBurbCon? Stuff in the city is [suburbanite wuss]too faaaarrr and too haaaard to find paaaaarrrking. [/suburbanite wuss]

I had checked out a brewpub named Brass last August for a possible finale viewing party - nice place, great food, great brews, and a back room with a big flat-screen TV. But nothing came of it, because we suck out here in the suburbs, ladies and gentleracers.

(hi everybody! Sorry about the whining! I'm just glad there'll likely be a TAR5)

crazy_girl

crazy_girl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2004 @ 2:04 PM

Aww Red, you don't suck. The burbs are fine--I'm just lacking in a car and it's harder to get out to the burbs--especially on weekends when the Metra times are different.

Red Targetter

Red Targetter

Couch Potato

• Interests:Oh no! Everything?<br /><br />Twitter: GinnyRED57

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 7:54 PM

is Yay!!!!! I don't suck! Whew. ;D

Well, if there were a good place easily reached from anywhere, via any kind of transportation, that would be in the bright yellow and red spirit of TAR, eh? Anyone know of some good places that are easily reached by car, Metra, CTA, foot, bike and, um canoe?

MltPrincess

MltPrincess

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 11:09 PM

Sadly, getting to any place I'd suggest would involve sherpa, magic beans, and a thirst for adventure. In other words, I have nothing constructive to add but would like to participate.

chico1002

chico1002

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 5, 2004 @ 9:20 AM

I'd like to participate in a Chi(or Burb)Con, too! Did anything ever happen with the Ten Cat - that place is right near my office. I am woefully uneducated about good places in the outlying burbs, but fave places in the city/North are Tommy Nevin's in Evanston, Fizz on Lincoln (large projection capability), Belly's (new place on Lincoln near Fizz), Mulligan's (I think, could possibly be another Irish-sounding name) on Roscoe & Damen.

Hoping we can get something together!

SerenaJoy

SerenaJoy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 1, 2004 @ 6:19 PM

A Chicago TWoPcon would be great! Put two more on the list of joiners but not organizers.

jennifuh

jennifuh

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2004 @ 5:28 PM

Bueller? Bueller?

seawench

seawench

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2004 @ 2:28 AM

A Chicago TWoPcon sounds like fun. I didn't know there were that many from Chicago (althought it makes sense, with a city this size) as I don't usually run into any on the boards. How does April sound?

lelnet

lelnet

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 5:19 AM

I'll say again that I'm very very for it. Preferably in the city, but if it were in the burbs I'd beg, borrow, or steal a car to get to it (or catch a ride with another city-dwelling TWoPper). April is good, or May, or next St. Smithens day...

seawench

seawench

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2004 @ 3:31 PM

It doesn't look like too many are interested, unfortunately.

Ipstenu

Ipstenu

Fanatic

• Interests:I remember when we had to dial-in upstream both ways to get to MBTV in a blizzard, and we didn't have modems! We had to whistle the tones in. The mods used to take us behind the woodshed and beat us for not using correct capitalization. I remember BEFORE TUBEY!<br /><br />Also I remember, but never really 'dug' Dawson's Wrap. The Fivehead scared me. So I'm old, but I ain't THAT old.

Posted Mar 24, 2004 @ 4:18 PM

Gah, life = busy (I don't always remember to check here). I'm not free for TWoP until ... June :P God, that sucks now that I look at my calendar.

jennifuh

jennifuh

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2004 @ 4:40 PM

June/July = wedding season. May? August?

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2004 @ 7:36 PM

I'm interested, but my schedule is all up in the air, so plan around me, and I'll make it down if I can. August is right out, though. I'm booked solid. In town if there's a decent shot at parking, burbs are good too, and I'll be coming in from out of town, so can pick up riders from West or North, if you'll trust that I'm not an internet axe-murderer. (bwahh-ha-ha-ha!)

Edited by Rabrab, Mar 24, 2004 @ 7:39 PM.

BlackCorduroy

BlackCorduroy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2004 @ 8:09 PM

I need friends. So. I'm all for it.

I won't be in Chicago for the summer though, which = May through August

whip1

whip1

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2004 @ 9:25 PM

I live in Milwaukee but I'm from Chicago and feel that the trip would be worth it. So count me in for anytime.

gryphon

gryphon

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2004 @ 7:16 PM

I'm from Milwaukee as well and would welcome a chance to meet up with other Twop'ers in Chicago or anywhere.

Mar

Mar

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2004 @ 12:44 PM

First time poster, long time lurker. Nothing big here, but since The Apprentice finale will be on anyway at our Evanston apartment, would anyone be interested in dropping by to watch? How can you beat a 20Ē TV, pizza and pop, plus do-it-yourself street parallel parking? There is a convenient Purple Line stop for the city folk.

It'sAllAboutTheGiants

It'sAllAboutTheGiants

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2004 @ 3:30 PM

How nice of you to offer, Mar! If I can make it, I'd like to come. I've got a few other things to deal with first -- including, oh, taxes -- but I'll let you know for sure as soon as I can. You'll let us know what we can bring, yes?

Also, does anyone know when it will start? (Alternate interpretation of previous question: Will it air opposite of "Survivor"? Just planning my VCR action here, folks.)

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 11:05 AM

Mar I would love to join you but I have to work that night. I will be taping the show however. How about we plan a ChiCon for a season premiere that most of us want to watch in the fall? This way we won't be getting in the way of everyones vacation plans in the summer.

gryphon

gryphon

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2004 @ 12:24 PM

Wow, Mar! That is so great! I'll see if I can get down there for the finale...if my schedule permits, I'll email you for directions:)

Mar

Mar

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2004 @ 11:30 AM

(location: Evanston) Let me know if anyone is interested in coming over next Thursday. Iím thinkingódoors open at 6:30, Survivor at 7:00, with The Apprentice finale at 8:00 to 10:00. Iíll have some standard pizza and pop on hand. If you must have your Mello Yellow or RC, please bring it for yourself. I do need to know if anyone plans on coming so I can have enough food around. Also, while I donít think Iíll have to turn anyone away, my apartment living room does have limited seating. Would you need to bring anything? A couple of dollar bills would be nice. Thereíll be a donation jar to help with the food costs.

jennifuh

jennifuh

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2004 @ 4:15 PM

Thanks for the offer! I'm rehearsing a play so I can't do weeknights :-( I hope you guys have fun! We need to plan more outings, I hate that I missed the last one.

Edited by jennifuh, Apr 9, 2004 @ 4:15 PM.

gryphon

gryphon

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2004 @ 7:34 AM

Thanks again for the wonderful offer, Mar! I am so bummed I can't make it tonight; my prof decided to give a surprise test tomorrow in Physics and I must cram a ton of concepts into my flabby brain. (Back in Science after 17 years...eek!) Hopefully we all can set up a gathering this Summer and/or at the start of next season.

It'sAllAboutTheGiants

It'sAllAboutTheGiants

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2004 @ 2:38 PM

Mar, I just sent you an email that I'd be coming, but seriously, less than one minute later I found out that I might not be able to make it after all. Dammit.

Edited by It'sAllAboutTheGiants, Apr 15, 2004 @ 2:40 PM.

Zumanity

Zumanity

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2004 @ 8:57 PM

Hi! The Indianapolis TWoppers are having a TWoPCon in Lafayette, which admittedly is a little bit far from Chicago, but we have a shelter reserved for fifty and would welcome Chicagoans to come join us (We don't have a date yet, but check the Indianapolis thread for updates)

Hope to see some of you there.