JHeaton

Stalker

Posted Jan 1, 2004 @ 9:09 PM

Happy New Year, everyone!

secretkitty

secretkitty

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:18 AM

Well I fear for this year. Already this year I've cried about three times. I got in a fight with my father today, then my friend and just broke down about both of them. Yea...and the best thing is that I graduate this year. I'm scared...

dearandgp

dearandgp

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 12:39 AM

View it as a dress rehearsal time for the rest of the first half of the year, secretkitty. You know that a bad dress rehearsal is supposed to portend a successful run, right?

And it's not unrealistic to view it that way. Christmas vacation, time intensely with family and friends, changes looming in your life, tension, pressure, efforts to put those behind you, or set them aside.... Impending adulthood.

All dress rehearsal for the real thing that will start very soon. Be of good cheer.

Alia James

Alia James

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 9:27 AM

Hang in there, secretkitty, we're with you. Every single person I've talked to didn't have great things to say about 2003, and I think it's hard to be positive about a year that contained a WAR in it! (among many other things) It's time to move on. I say, "Bring on 2004! I'm ready for something new!"

It's all in the attitude.

JHeaton

JHeaton

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 10:19 AM

January 1 really has no more significance than any other day. When you think about it, the first day of a calendar year is far less important that the first day of your life year (i.e. your birthday), the first day of the school year, or the first day of a new television season. If you treat New Year's Day as just another day, the things that happen on that day will seem less important and will carry less symbolic weight.

pathwatch

pathwatch

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:44 AM

True, and you cannot base what 2004 will be like because of the first few days of the year. The beginning of 2003 was REALLY crappy for me, and there were some ups and downs, but overall things improved. Also, as dearandgp stated, the holiday times are incredibly stressful in and of themselves. So, have faith, secretkitty, things will get better.

callforhelp

callforhelp

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 1:14 PM

Ditto on what everybody posts to you secretkitty. (Hugs). ms hunter, sending good vibes for your brother returning to his loving family safe and sound.

Kanel, thanks for the book report. I am half way through APFOM and already in love with the character of Owen Meany. He reminds me of a friend from childhood.

May I also add that for some people i.e. the Chinese; their new year is just around the corner.

ms hunter

ms hunter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:25 PM

Thanks callforhelp. Only a few more months!

I never really got the big new year's celebrations. To me, it's just means a new calender. I did, however, wash my car, organize my jewelry box and eat a fortune cookie, so I felt somewhat symbolic.

I know they're crappy, but did anyone make any resolutions? I think I may actually stick to mine. By the end of June I want to get a tan and be more active. I sit all day at work and I'd really like to do something where I'm moving around. I was thinking of taking some kind of martial arts class since I'd really like to know how to defend myself and be able to kick some ass if the need ever arose. Also, I just got through my season 2 Alias DVDs and I'm feeling inspired. Also, I want to improve my Italian so when I go in June, I'll be able to communicate somewhat.

dearandgp

dearandgp

Posted Jan 2, 2004 @ 11:37 PM

Oh, I want the typical things for a guy my age -- lose weight, get more exercise, make Lauren Graham fall in love with me (or at least, make Lauren Graham).... You know, the usual.

Hope you've read all about the effects of suntanning at a young age on the development of skin cancer at older ages, btw. Everybody makes their own choices, of course.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 12:04 AM

Oh, Ms hunter. . . if only I had worn sunscreen.

My stay-inside computer geek husband has skin like a baby's ass because he spent so much time indoors, and I'm all squinty and spotty because I hated hats, only wore sunglasses while driving, and skipped sunscreen because it made my face break out.

(Oil-free) sunscreen is your friend.

pathwatch

pathwatch

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 8:45 AM

I never liked resolutions. I can procrastinate with the best of them, so resolutions to me would just be an excuse to wait another year to do whatever I needed to do ("oops! it's already January 15 and I haven't started to [resolution of your choice] yet, I guess I have to wait until next year.") Sad, but true, and also I have found I am not the only one.

So, if you want to get in shape or take martial arts, just do it. As far as a martial arts go, if you are doing it for self-defense, try taking a judo (lots of ground fighting) along with a tai kwon do (lots of punching). Stuff like kung fu is too much kicking that won't help you on the street too much. Akido is great too, but very technical (lots of arm-bars and controlling of the subjects). Good luck.

tinker bell

tinker bell

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 7:13 PM

I usually never make any firm resolutions. Every year, I vow to stop biting my nails, but that's always just a huge joke. This year: Exercise more. Get over issues with my mother. And fall in love, as pathetic as that sounds - or at least finally be truly happy with being single.

MegsieLaur

MegsieLaur

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 8:04 PM

My resolutions usually fizzle out by February or March, but here goes: Eat better. Exercise. Read more. Quit picking at my zits (yeah right). Stop procrastinating with reading assignments and essays for school. Write replies to letters the instant I get them and mail them ASAP. Save more money--college looms on the horizon. Get good grades. And, um, I think that's it.

ms hunter

ms hunter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 11:20 PM

Usually my resolution is to stop procrastinating. It never worked so I wanted to be more proactive and try to do better by myself. Yes, I am aware of the evils of tanning and I preach them to my mother all the time. Normally, I don't tan. Right now, I am white as a sheet even though I'm in the damn Sunshine State. I got tan once about a year and a half ago and it looked pretty good, but normally I just burn. I want to look good in a sundress. After June or July, I'll go back to being pale.

I was thinking about taking tae kwan do. I'm trying to get some of the women I work with to come with me so I don't feel like a dork there by myself.

I have a question. I'm moving out at the end of the month. On my own, for real this time. When I was in college, I was 2 hours away, so I couldn't be home all the time, but I would talk to my family once a week. Now that I'll be out of the house, yet 15 minutes away, I'm unsure on how to deal with the frequency of calling and/or coming here to see my family. Is once a week still good? Should it be more, less? I was wondering what anyone else did when they moved out.

thelasttoknow03

thelasttoknow03

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 11:37 PM

Edited by thelasttoknow03, Jan 11, 2011 @ 2:53 PM.

dearandgp

dearandgp

Posted Jan 3, 2004 @ 11:49 PM

Now that I'll be out of the house, yet 15 minutes away, I'm unsure on how to deal with the frequency of calling and/or coming here to see my family.

That's just entirely individual. Some people call or see the 'rents and all once a year. Others once a day. One thing I will say, though: don't be contacting them out of a sense of overall obligation you place on yourself. Do it when it seems natural, within some boundaries. If Mom wants more contact than you initially start out with, accommodating her (or Dad, or whomever) isn't a bad thing, so long as you don't let it interfere in a substantial way with other things you need to do in your own life. And a little structure can be useful; Emily wasn't nutso in setting up the Friday dinners; you presumably don't have a Lorelai-Emily relationship with your parents and probably don't need that degree of formality, but mutually deciding that there will be some kind of regular contact in fairly specific organizational fashion can give some relief from thinking that runs along the lines of "Damn. I haven't called ______ for three weeks. How did that happen?"

It can also be useful to remind the 'rents that their phone works for calling out as well as receiving calls from you. In a nice way, of course. In other words, if they think they haven't heard from you in too long, there are other things they can do besides just sit and wait for your call and get mad that it hasn't come. I speak both as a kid who moved out and as a parent who has been moved out on by my kids, incidentally. Circle of life and all that jazz.

chyvonne

chyvonne

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 4:21 AM

I think that Jackson deserves the Oscar for LotR: RotK. Seriously I have never reacted so much to a movie before; but I jumped and gasped and hid my eyes, and said “oh my God” under my breath so many times during this movie, I couldn’t believe it. And I didn't get up once to use the bathroom. Plus the ending (even though it went on for like 30 minutes) made me cry, it didn't hurt of course that Orlando Bloom is sexy as hell in the part of Legolas. And I was really new to the story having only seen The Fellowship of the Ring for the first time earlier that day. I always seem to get in late on the best trends, I only began reading the Harry Potter books this past summer.

The year…I cried and laughed. It started out ok, but the end of the year just sucked. Family Problems: Gaaaah! But there were points in the middle that were good. I started living a little more independently, kicked proverbial ass at school, and made some wonderful new friends. So overall it was good, it just ended on a crappy note.

Resolutions: I usually don’t even bother, but this year I would like to be more active and be smarter about my budget, I hate having to rely very much on help from my parents for money, I feel like they help me way too much.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 3:23 PM

I hope everyone enjoyed the holidays. I know I sure did. Of course, now I've got a lot of work to do because finals start next week. Oh joy.

I have a question. I'm moving out at the end of the month. On my own, for real this time. When I was in college, I was 2 hours away, so I couldn't be home all the time, but I would talk to my family once a week. Now that I'll be out of the house, yet 15 minutes away, I'm unsure on how to deal with the frequency of calling and/or coming here to see my family. Is once a week still good? Should it be more, less? I was wondering what anyone else did when they moved out.

I went to college halfway across the country from my parents, so I only saw them during holidays at best. Now I'm in graduate school, and I live about 20 minutes away, and I don't see them nearly as often as I thought I would. It's not that I don't want to see my parents frequently, it's just that I don't have time. So in the end, I probably see them once or twice a month. I know that whole months have gone by when I haven't seen them at all, but that's quite rare. Basically, I see them whenever I get the chance.

My roommate, on the other hand, talks to her mom at least once a day and sees her at least once a week.

This is just to say that there are no real rules about this kind of thing. You should see your parents however often you want to and can arrange it. Once a week sounds lovely to me, since I'd love to see my parents that often. But I don't think your parents will be offended if you have to go two weeks without seeing them (assuming they're confident in your affection for them).

ms hunter

ms hunter

Fanatic

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:50 PM

Good advice. Thanks, all.

I really need to get to the movies more. I haven't seen anything that is really award worthy. Unless you count Love Actually (Golden Globe). I still haven't seen anything from last year that I wanted to see. Another advantage of moving out -- I finally get to rent what I want to rent and don't have to sit through mindless crap. Yay! And while I wasn't a big fan of the first LotR, I was blown away by the set design. That was just amazing.

Edited by ms hunter, Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:55 PM.

chelsearose

chelsearose

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 11:57 PM

Wait! Was Love Actually nominated for a Golden Globe? YEA! I LOVED that movie.

Sorry, pretty (completely) off topic.

dearandgp

dearandgp

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:49 AM

It's the Meet Market; if we were to have an extended discussion of awards we should take it to the awards thread. But I think it won't offend if I mention that Love Actually was nominated for a Golden Globe for screenplay. Anything more we should probably take to the awards thread.

Brahmsian

Brahmsian

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:39 PM

Anything more than this we should probably take to the awards thread.

Meaning no disrespect dearandgp, I have to disagree. I think the "Awards" thread ought to be about awards GG could or should or should have won. Stuff like this, which has little or no direct connection to GG really fits better right here, IMO.

I will, of course, defer to Pamie should she decide otherwise.

Still haven't gotten around to seeing Love Actually so I've got nothing to add to the discussion of it's merits or lack of same, sorry.

pamie

pamie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 2:10 PM

I think the "Awards" thread ought to be about awards GG could or should or should have won. Stuff like this, which has little or no direct connection to GG really fits better right here, IMO.

That's right.

And please direct your moderating issues to me. Nobody is the deputy sheriff around these parts. Please don't moderate each other.

cmdfree

cmdfree

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:34 PM

The WB site has an announcement that our Girls have been renewed for a 5th season. Woo hoo! Although what would make me happier at the moment is some new season 4 episodes, dammit. Next week, maybe?

Edited by cmdfree, Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:55 PM.

Brahmsian

Brahmsian

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:02 PM

According to www.tvtome.com next week's episode is indeed going to be a new one, cmdfree. And as a nice little extra (at least to this Buffy fan) Danny Strong is supposed to be back in it. :-)

Edited by pamie, Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:40 PM.

Theaterchick

Theaterchick

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 1:07 PM

I hope tvtome got it right, Brahmsian . According to Kristin over on E! online, there are no new Gilmore Girls or One Tree Hill eps until January 20th! Zap2it has Gilmore Girls listed for next week, but no episode description, which makes me think maybe we get to wait another week. Sigh.

(but yay for Danny Strong being back!)

Edited by pamie, Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:40 PM.

pathwatch

pathwatch

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:50 PM

It's hard to know who to believe.

GilmoreGirls.Org states the next new show will be January 20. But, January 6 is showing Ted Koppel's Big Night Out (the last first-run show) and January 13 is showing a Gilmore Girls show. Why put another rerun in? and out of sequence at that. We can only hope that January 13 is the next new show.

cmdfree

cmdfree

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 10:53 AM

Looks like nothing new till the 20th; during last night's re-run they were plugging new GG in 2 weeks.

aidanspencer

aidanspencer

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:01 PM

make Lauren Graham fall in love with me (or at least, make Lauren Graham)....

If only I could high-five you dearandgp. Seriously, that was awesome.

ms hunter, I don't know how good the waves are in Florida, but if you want to get into shape and get a tan, there is no better way to get both done than to take up surfing. Or to swim laps, if you don't live close enough to the ocean. And I also heartily endorse taking up marital arts. My ex-girlfriend was a black belt in tae-kwando, was in retardedly good shape, and could kick pretty much anyone's ass; all of which are pluses, in my book anyway.

As far as seeing awards-show caliber movies goes, SEE COLD MOUNTAIN!!!!!! It was an absolutely amaaazzzing movie. Renee Zellweger will blow you away. Has anyone seen Big Fish? I live in the slow part of the world, so we're not getting it until this weekend, and I plan to see it then.

MrsIke

MrsIke

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 3:28 PM

We're slow too, aidanspencer!

Big Fish comes out Friday in my neck of the woods as well and I can't wait to see it! I got the book for Christmas and it was pretty good. I can only imagine the things Tim Burton has done with the stories! I sure hope it lives up to my expectations