TWoP's House of Fishcakes: The Meet Market

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2190 replies to this topic

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 8:11 PM

Did everyone else see this? Britney Spears married.

Man, she's off her last nut, I swear.

meldogg1978

meldogg1978

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 4, 2004 @ 10:21 PM

PCF...yes, she is.

Was it a media stunt? You have to figure she's known this guy her whole life. They probably have been hanging out, dating, whateves. They get drunk and start fooling around you know, why don't we get married? Like they've been reporting, a joke gone too far. The sun comes up, the hangover wears off, the media starts swarming, annullment tomorrow. Mr. Spears is already back in Kentwood wondering what the hell just happened.

His name is Jason Alexander. Constanza?? No way.

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 12:00 PM

Nope, a different Jason Alexander. But I agree, she's crazy. I know she's trying to change her image from a little girl to a big, bad, sexual woman. But between this and THE KISS HEARD 'ROUND THE WORLD, I'm really getting sick of her.

Spider Girl

Spider Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 2:51 PM

But between this and THE KISS HEARD 'ROUND THE WORLD, I'm really getting sick of her.

I must agree. While "the kiss" reeked of publicity-grabbing, the wedding seems more like a substance abuse problem to the extreme. "A joke gone too far"? I don't think so.

CubeReader

CubeReader

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:28 PM

Yeah, lots of alcohol generally makes quickie vegas weddings to childhood friends seem funnier than usual. I am sure this is just your typical "I got wasted and married in Vegas and now I am having a panic attack" boilerplate annulment language, but it amused me for some reason:

"Before entering into the marriage," the petition said, "the plaintiff and defendant did not know each other's likes and dislikes, each other's desires to have or not have children, and each other's desires as to state of residency. Upon learning of each other's desires, they are so incompatible that there was a want of understanding of each other's actions in entering into this marriage."

More like "upon her mama and her management's discovery of this marriage..."

Edited by CubeReader, Jan 5, 2004 @ 3:33 PM.

TripleMaster

TripleMaster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 4:45 PM

Wow! When one grows up with as much adversity as have Britney and Dawson, it can result in strange behavior.

kattymom2

kattymom2

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:02 PM

LMAO!!! Britney and Dawson. Sounds like a match made in heav...er hell!

JRV

JRV

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:47 PM

Of course, if it were Britney and Dawson, she could ask for annulment on grounds of being involuntarily pulled into the gravitational field of his enormous fivehead.

kattymom2

kattymom2

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:05 PM

Okay, that was f-ing funny JRV!

TripleMaster

TripleMaster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 10:22 PM

Have I ever said that I hate Dawson?

Gradle

Gradle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 12:14 PM

Did you guys see Britney's husband on the Today show this morning? Bless his heart, and I say this with all the love of a fellow, and very proud Louisianian (Geaux Tigers), those folks are so country. His world, and let me tell you Kentwood LA is about as small as they come, just got a lot bigger and more complicated. I feel for the guy.

Madonna, why didn't you do a Kabbalah intervention when you could? That little red bracelet isn't going to save your new best friend. At least if she married JVDB, we know she would become a bore (unless of course if he drove her to drink, which is highly likely).

TripleMaster

TripleMaster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:00 PM

Oh, Gradle, did you really write "Geaux Tigers"? Just kidding! I'm happy for LSU --- I think.

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:23 PM

I believe it Gradle. I think men who fall into Britney's web are probably like "cool, I'm dating Britney Spears" and have no clue how psycho it will really be.

Gradle

Gradle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:46 PM

Ah Triple, you busted me big. I only hope that my dad is having too much fun at the Galatoire's in the sky to notice, he wouldn't be happy. In the past month, I haven't actually ever cheered openly for LSU, but it is hard not to get caught up in the excitement. And bottom line, I am just a sports fan. I have a lot of friends who it means SO much to, and we can use any good news that we can get down here.

By the way, happy Twelfth Night!

Spider Girl

Spider Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:49 PM

Way off topic question to Triple and anyone else who may be able to help...

I'm petrified of flying. Absolutely scared senseless. And this was before all the terrorist stuff. But now I *have* to fly to Chicago for an annual dinner dance with my husband.

I'm doing this out of love...but I'm still terrified. Help, please! Triple, you write about flying all over, so I addressed this to you. But anyone else with any ideas - it would be appreciated!

Edited by Spider Girl, Jan 6, 2004 @ 3:49 PM.

Gradle

Gradle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 4:11 PM

I'll weigh in Spider, if that is okay.

I just flew over New Years and it couldn't have been easier or more pleasant. One thing I told myself a long time ago, and it has worked through many many plane rides, is that you just accept you are not in control. There is something incredibly freeing about that. Every time you get in a car, your life is more in danger than on a plane. I am much more anxious driving with other folks than flying. And while driving, or riding as a passenger, there will always be a thousand decisions, ones you think could have changed the outcome of getting into an accident - should I have gone a different route, should I have been a more defensive driver, was I going too fast, too slow. On a plane, there are no decisions that will effect you getting from point a to point b. Once you accept that, and fully comprehend that it is truly very safe, you can just sit back and chill. Focus on a good book, plug in some earphones, it will go by so much faster than you think. And the noises you hear, you are supposed to hear those, it is totally normal.

Other than that, I say this seriously, I hear Xanax works wonders for folks on plane rides, takes the anxious edge off but doesn't make you batty.

aizjanika

aizjanika

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 5:03 PM

I'm doing this out of love...but I'm still terrified. Help, please! Triple, you write about flying all over, so I addressed this to you. But anyone else with any ideas - it would be appreciated!

Spider Girl, when we were living in Alaska, we were on an island, so we couldn't go anywhere without flying. (And if I say, "When I lived on an island in Alaska" one more time, someone should just shoot me. <G>)

But anyway, I absolutely hate flying and I always have. For me it's more being stuck on a bus and you can't get off it when you want. I don't like sitting in those uncomfortable seats or sitting next to strangers--and even my own kids begin to become strangers after a five-hour flight. (hee) The food is horrible if I even wanted to eat--and also we are vegan and they *never get that right.

The things I do might not work for you, but how I handle it is by concentrating on the details--that way I'm not so focused on what's going on with the plane or the pilots or anything else. It's like being on a bus or a train or any other form of transportation. I also try to make myself as comfortable as possible. I try not to carry too much stuff with me, but I do bring a backpack that will fit under the seat. I never sit in the front seat because then they make you put your backpack in the overhead compartment and it's hard to get it down during the flight (though you can).

In my backpack, I bring bottled water, snacks for me and the kids, a book or magazine or both (I don't like to read during the flight, but before and after we take off), and also a portable CD player with some CDs. I have these wonderful CDs that I actually bought for the kids and then confiscated--Music for the Mozart Effect. It sounds weird, but the music on these CDs is so soothing and comforting. If you have anything like that--anything that you like and that is relaxing, bring that. I also bring the usual rock & pop and anything else that strikes my fancy in the moment. I usually make a couple of new CDs for the flight putting all my current favorite songs on one CD. I also sometimes buy or borrow (from the library) a book on tape or CD. I don't like to read while we're moving, so this can occupy me for a while if I'm really bored.

Also...I don't care about what I look like. I dress in comfortable clothes. I have these horrid stretchy black pants that look horrible on me, but I usually wear those same pants (and it's usually the only time I wear them) with a t-shirt and a big sweater or fleece jacket that is comfortable. I put my hair in a comfy ponytail or I twist it up with a scrunchie. Hopefully I will never meet JJ in an airport, but the toolman loves me and has seen me looking worse--and what do I care what strangers think anyway? hee

I always tend to be really cold on airplanes during the flight. I usually put an extra sweatshirt in the toolman's backpack and/or wear his--he's never cold. I stay away from the nasty pillows and blankets they hand out. I have a little beanie bear with a Coast Guard helicopter on it--given to me by the toolman. I usually take that with me (juvenile as it sounds) or something like that. We always have the laptop with us, and a few times I've tried using that during an especially long flight, but the battery always wears out too quickly. One time, for the kids, I rented a portable DVD player and a movie. (Some airports have these--you rent it at one airport and turn it in at the next.) Also...bring a small bottle of hand cream. hehe I always seem to need this on the plane--it's so dry.

I make sure I have a few snacks, water is a must (if you have to wait for them to serve water or a drink--you'd die of thirst!), and I bring things that will make me comfortable and that are comforting and wear clothes that will make me comfortable. By concentrating on the details, I am not so focused on worrying about what the pilots might or might not be doing, what the noises on the airplane are, and so on. I make sure I have the stuff that I need.

Oh, and one more thing... Before we get on airplanes, we almost always will listen to George Carlin's whole spiel about flying. It is SO hilarious! We don't have tapes/CDs of anyone else, but we also sometimes talk about (imitate?) some other comedians' routines about flying. I remember Billy Connolly talking about using the seat cushions as flotation devices--even when flying over land. He says in his Scottish accent something like, "This will do you no f-ing good, but in the future archaeologists will think there was a river here..." or something like that. For some reason, laughing about our worst fears always seems to relax us. This is usually the last thing we do before leaving the house with the kids. My daughter is especially afraid of flying and yet she's done it many, many, many times and lived to tell the tale. :-)

I hope maybe some of this helps, even if not specifically, but at least you'll know you're not alone.

kate123

kate123

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 6:27 PM

Spider Girl, I've gone the Xanax/Valium route as well and it works like a charm. My doctor prescribes four doses for me, two for the way there, two for the way back. I take the first when I leave for the airport, the second right before I get on the plane and I'm just fine. And I'm a very nervous flyer. It just takes the edge off. I'm still alert and aware that the plane might go down at any minute, but really don't give a f*!k.

I also get my dentist to prescribe me a couple before I get major dental work done. I like it better than the gas.

CubeReader

CubeReader

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 6:30 PM

Other than that, I say this seriously, I hear Xanax works wonders for folks on plane rides, takes the anxious edge off but doesn't make you batty.

I am EXTREMELY afraid of flying, in the I think we are going to crash every time the seatbelt light comes on kind of way. However, I love to travel, so I am willing to do it and just expect to be hit by irrational waves of fear starting at least two weeks in advance. However, before I went overseas this summer, I got a prescription for Xanax from my general practitioner. (I specified to show that it is easy to get). Anyway, it worked wonders. For the first time ever, I was able to sleep for a few hours and I felt immeasurably more calm. Granted, I had a glass of wine (or two) with it as well, but it really did work. (And I took half when I got to the airport, so it had begun to work before I mixed it with alcohol).

It also worked wonders when I went to NY in November the weekend all the flights were delayed/cancelled because of wind. My friends flew out on Thursday and told me that people were screaming on their flight during landing because of the wind. So when my Friday morning flight was delayed due to wind, I became extra nervous about my first flight on a smaller plane. But, once again, the Xanax helped me though it.

I know I must sound like a pill popper, but I highly recommend it to anyone who has serious fear of flying. I still don't look forward to flying, but I know that the next time I do, I will only be slightly more afraid than the average person, as opposed to being completely freaked out. (However, it doesn't help with the plane crash dreams which I have the week before the flight).

kattymom2

kattymom2

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 11:42 PM

CP1333, I recognize you from ebay. *wink*wink* I am tobbyluki there. (That is my husbands nickname.) If you look around at over there I am sure you will know what I am getting at. LOL!!!! I think it is funny!!

cp1333

cp1333

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 12:22 AM

OMG You are killing me. I am laughing so hard. This will have to be stopped. Hmm.

TripleMaster

TripleMaster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 1:41 AM

Hi, Spider. As you know, I practically live on airplanes. I took more than 80 flights last year, and covered almost 80,000 miles. I have travelled more than 500,000 miles in the last twenty years. So, I feel very safe while flying. I truly believe that the most dangerous part of any trip is getting into a cab. Now that is cause for many, many scotches while on the plane! I don't know how to make you feel safer, however. It's such an emotional issue.

I will admit that I have been frightened on planes on occasion. Things can and do go wrong. But it is still the safest way to get from point a to point b. And, despite some problems, I have never come close to being killed.

I loved some of the suggestions that others have made above. I also think it would be worthwhile to study some statistics on air safety in the United States. The numbers are overwhelmingly positive.

I will also confess to being a control freak. When I'm in a car, I want to be driving. So, I had to learn how to let go of control while I'm on a plane. It seems second nature to me now. But the first trip wasn't easy.

Sorry that I don't have something more concrete to offer. Love is a powerful motivator. Also, let me add that Chicago is my favorite city in the US. So, it's worth the trip!

kattymom2

kattymom2

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 4:30 AM

Isn't that funny cp1333? I guess we shouldn't be that surprised considering how obsessed we all are in here. LOL!

avocato

avocato

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:39 PM

. . .

Edited by avocato, Mar 30, 2007 @ 10:01 PM.

TripleMaster

TripleMaster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:50 AM

God, I don't want to bore you guys to death, but after a day and a half of editing meetings, these guys are definitely going to represent me as literary agents. So, thanks for all of your kind thoughts and words. There is still much work to do and absolutely no guaranty of getting a publisher when the rewrite is done. But, I'm encouraged. Just had to share, and I hope you don't mind the personal information. I don't know any of you, but I feel like you are friends, somehow.

Okay, I'll shut up and go to bed!

ScarletGirl

ScarletGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 12:53 AM

Wow, Triple, that is awesome news! Congratulations!

aizjanika

aizjanika

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 1:14 AM

Hooray, Triple!!! This is so exciting...and we'll be able to say we knew you when...sort of! <G>

Thanks, avocato, for the Tivo info, too. I saved it to share with the toolman at a later date.

kattymom2

kattymom2

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:56 AM

Wow Triple, color me impressed. Good for you.

Isn't it strange to trust people you have never even met or know there "real" name for that matter? My family doesn't understand how I can do it with you guys. Everytime I say something about one of my "online friends" they always retort with "or so they say". Like I said they just don't get it.

TripleMaster

TripleMaster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 8:05 AM

Thanks, everyone! Up and at 'em for another day of editing!

RamonaQ

RamonaQ

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 10:22 AM

God, I don't want to bore you guys to death, but after a day and a half of editing meetings, these guys are definitely going to represent me as literary agents. So, thanks for all of your kind thoughts and words. There is still much work to do and absolutely no guaranty of getting a publisher when the rewrite is done. But, I'm encouraged. Just had to share, and I hope you don't mind the personal information. I don't know any of you, but I feel like you are friends, somehow.

Congratulations and keep us posted!

About the flying, I hate to fly but love to travel so I accept it as a necessary evil. If your husband is flying with you, you will have someone's hand to hold and squeeze when you get nervous. This helps me tremendously. Also having a good book/magazine and a discman with either relxaing/mellow cds (David Gray's Lost Songs kept me company on my last trip to North Carolina) or fun cds (I like the Buffy musical or the Moulin Rouge soundtrack). I also run through the whole "flying safer than driving" thing in my head. While I've never really enjoyed a flight, I have come to not mind them as much. Plus you get to look forward to going somewhere! I also remind myself that I survived a Boston to Hawaii flight without freaking out and can therefore make it through anything.