The Practice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

505 replies to this topic

The Other Daughter

The Other Daughter

Stalker

Posted Jan 5, 2004 @ 9:13 PM

Seriously-Spader has so saved this series from certain death. I haven't watched it in many, many years, (WAY before Bobby even proposed to Lindsay,) but I'm watching it again now, and its all because of my love for James that much under-appreciated member of the 80's brat pack. I love James so much, that I root for him even when he's the villain like in 2 Days In the Valleyor god only help us Pretty in Pink where, (I'm gonna get lynched for saying this,) I think he had more chemistry with Molly Ringwald in his own creepy way than Andrew McCarthy did. (Though of course the MAIN relationship in that movie was between Molly Ringwald and Harry Connick Jr-but that's a whole other thread.) Spader's Alan Shore may well be the most delightful scumbag ever to grace the silver screen. I adore him, and want to see more of him arguing with Eugene, and find out exactly *how* he became friends with Eleanor. Jimmy, though must go, and the actor can go back to his true role of being a small supporting character in movies.

sakana1

sakana1

Posted Jan 6, 2004 @ 6:28 AM

The Other Daughter, when you say Harry Connick Jr, do you mean John Cryer? Or (and this would achieve the nearly impossible feat of making the movie even better than it already is) is Harry hidden somewhere in that movie? I'm so with you on the whole 2 Days in the Valley-- Spader's almost painfully sexy in that one, which is scary because he's so incredibly weird. And McCarthy? Very little chemistry with anyone, and yet so cute in his patheticness. Yes, I was a weird teen.

Uh...topic? I can't believe I'm asking this, but when the hell are we going to get new episodes?!

The Other Daughter

The Other Daughter

Stalker

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:04 AM

We're getting them this Sunday, Sakana! And whoops, who was the actor then that played Molly Ringwald's sad alcoholic father in Pretty in Pink? Because his co-dependent relationship with his daughter was clearly the movie's REAL heart and soul. And yeah it is disturbing that I find Spader so sexy as Lee the assasin in 2 Days In the Valley like the way I find Adrien Brody really sexy as the psycho kidnapper in Oxygen. I need help. Back to the topic-the next episode is suppossed to involve police brutality.

bonster

bonster

Fanatic

Posted Jan 7, 2004 @ 9:14 AM

And whoops, who was the actor then that played Molly Ringwald's sad alcoholic father in Pretty in Pink?

Harry Dean Stanton.

Police brutality is fine. As long as it doesn't involve a church scandal or a client that we all think is innocent and turns out in a "surprising twist" to be guilty, I'm ok.

Tchr Tchr ID Claire

Tchr Tchr ID Claire

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 4:27 PM

or a client that we all think is innocent and turns out in a "surprising twist" to be guilty

I personally like it when the guilty turns out in a "surprising twist" to be innocent. That one gets me everytime.[/snark]

jerry

jerry

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 1:09 AM

I think James Spader is great and he has certainly made The Practice watchable again.

I was no James Spader fan, probably just my problem separating the actor from the roles he plays...but I agree he's wonderful on The Practice.

I have watched TP since the beginning, but last season I started to tire of Bobby. Actually, the actor seemed tired too. Anyway, Spader has been a nice addition.

And good riddance to Lucy.

XZero-g

XZero-g

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 2:57 AM

Out of all of the charater's i miss, i think Rebecca's the one. She just had this "use her powers for good" attitude that i loved. An idealism, but a compentance and intelligence to match. I think she could return and add to the show. And I'd especially like to see how she'd react to Alan's deeds. But, I agree the other characters were a bit worn out. I call that "So good, it's bad" writing. The characters had been through so much recently and over time that their current woes componded into a psychosis-like fugue. Their spirits looked broken from all they'd been through and they really should've stopped practicing law since it was hurting them so (specifically Bobby and Lindsey). Their tramas were so powerful that it wasn't realisti that they could just keep returning to the sore of their problems.

Now, if we could just Lisa Gay Hamilton and Sharon Stone back for keeps, we'd have the perfect show.

Edited by XZero-g, Jan 11, 2004 @ 3:06 AM.

clanceycl

clanceycl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:13 AM

The cable channel FX, which shows TP reruns weekdays at 11am (at least on the West Coast), will start the rotation fresh with The Pilot on Thursday.

Well, it may be different in your area, because the previous Friday (1/9), FX just showed the premiere for Season 7 where Lindsey was sentenced to life in prison, and she tearfully says goodbye to her son in jail and then whispers to Bobby to get her out of there. And I guess Jamie was smarter then, because in her job interview with Eleanor, she was advising Eleanor in all the ways she screwed up Lindsey's defense in her murder trial-and Eleanor hated her for it, but finally admitted to Bobby that Jamie was right. I had never seen these episodes, so I was glad to finally start seeing them to see how Lindsey got out of jail.

I too love the Alan Shore show, but that can get as old as ADA Helen's, ADA Walsh's, and ADA Lowe's unethical prosecution tactics and denial of due process and hiding by the law to do it. He can't keep getting away with stuff though he weirdly has a heart underneath it all.

I would love to see Helen Gamble chew him to pieces in court though.

And Ron Livingston was much hotter as ADA Lowe, than as Berger, Carrie's scruffy writer boyfriend on "Sex and the City" who broke up with her on a post-it-note!

Edited by clanceycl, Jan 11, 2004 @ 6:15 AM.

The Other Daughter

The Other Daughter

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 4:59 PM

I would love to see Helen Gamble chew him to pieces in court though.

Not to mention what those two would do to each other *outside* of court-oh man we so need to need Lara Flynn Boyle back for just a [/I]couple[I] episodes...Please! And while you're right to be concerned that the show shouldn't be *all* Alan all the time, it looks like tonight's episode might concentrate more on the other characters.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 11:09 PM

Someone must explain to me how Kenneth Walsh hasn't been fired from the DA's office. If I remember right he lost two cases because of illegal acts, and now this. Sheesh.

Steve Harris was great tonight! While I get tired of DEK's ranting against the Patriot Act and the war on terror, Steve gave a great performance. Also, their client is going to have one heck of a civil lawsuit against the city once he gets out of prison.

Also, did the Boston Police do something to DEK? A few years ago he had them setting up a witness to plant evidence in the firm and now he has them doing this? While I can beleive they may prevent Jamie from seeing her client, comitting torture in front of her and then handcuffing her to a chair was a tad farfetched.

Overall though a pretty good, if not overly melodramatic episode.

Brandon

Brandon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 11:18 PM

Also, did the Boston Police do something to DEK? A few years ago he had them setting up a witness to plant evidence in the firm and now he has them doing this? While I can beleive they may prevent Jamie from seeing her client, comitting torture in front of her and then handcuffing her to a chair was a tad farfetched.

I like to know why the Boston PD would allow their image to be crapped on like this, I mean the LAPD threw a damn hissy fit when The Shield debuted. Oh well.

Brandon

Brandon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2004 @ 11:19 PM

Ooops, double post, my bad.

Edited by Brandon, Jan 11, 2004 @ 11:20 PM.

jerry

jerry

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 6:12 AM

Also, their client is going to have one heck of a civil lawsuit against the city once he gets out of prison.

Yeah, I was wondering about this too. Does accepting a plea compromise his ability to win a lawsuit against the city?

And, why didn't somebody call the local tv station?

KathyV

KathyV

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 7:49 AM

I have a theory that David Kelly created The Practice in response to Law and Order. On Law and Order the police and the district attorneys are the good guys and its possible that knowing that defense attorneys don't always have the greatest reputation David Kelly wanted to do a show that turns the defense attorneys into the heroes defending their clients and the constitution against all odds.

The problem though is that David Kelly at least with regard to The Practice doesn't understand how to be subtle and last night's episode was another example. Police brutality exists but the melodrama we saw last night where the prisoner was being tortured right in the hospital where everyone could hear him screaming doesn't ring true. Neither does Alan barging into the bedroom in the middle of the night to get the judge to sign whatever it was he wanted her to sign. These kind of over the top stunts were exactly the reason David Kelly had to get rid of so many of the original cast. The problem wasn't the actors. Its the writing.

Tchr Tchr ID Claire

Tchr Tchr ID Claire

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:31 AM

Steve Harris was lookin' goooooood last night. I've decided he looks younger today than he did when the show started. Great performance by him.

I've loved the Alan Shore show from the beginning, and continue to do so; however, seeing Harris get the limelight last night was a nice change.

I know it was wrong to handcuff Jamie to the chair, but damn, part of me was glad because she bugs the crap outta me most of the time. Oh, and someone told her to shut up besides me, so I was wishing someone would gag her too.

Fraoch

Fraoch

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 9:56 AM

And, why didn't somebody call the local tv station?

THANK YOU! I kept hoping someone would think to do this, but the only reason I could think of that they wouldn't was the late hour (would someone be at that station that late, ready to run to the hospital with a camera in tow)? An okay episode, but more than a little farfetched.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 10:03 AM

Neither does Alan barging into the bedroom in the middle of the night to get the judge to sign whatever it was he wanted her to sign.

You know, honestly I thought doing something like that was completely something he would do.

The police behavior here was IMO what was completely over the top. Especially the fact they did it so publicly. In real life, Eugene would have called the news media, and a stunt like this would probably have gotten all these police fired, along with criminal charges being brought against them. But then I suppose DEK's point would not have been made, so we can't have that happening. :)

clanceycl

clanceycl

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 10:06 AM

Steve Harris was great tonight!

His courtroom plea was Emmy worthy-would be neat to see someone other than Camryn Manheim on the show get noticed-though James Spader has been great and I love the comic relief.

I can't believe Walsh has not been fired also-I thought he was the ADA's boss, like he was Helen and Lowe's boss, and would be too high up to be the on-call ADA. But Walsh did say he knew the cop and his wife personally-though I can't believe the cop's wife, or the Boston PD would settle for this guy getting six-months, and/or not demand the investigation be reopened!

I loved Alan Shore about Walsh-"I say set him up to be photod with a hooker-I won 3 cases that way!" (or something like that!). HAH!!!!!

Of course, typical of Alan Shore, to go to his ex-lover who was a judge, to her bed in the middle of the night to try to get a writ!

I thought for sure this would be a two-parter, but this could all get continued.

Word on why the media was not being called-screw the lateness of the hour-let it lead the morning news, the early shows and let it wake people up getting ready for work and in rush-hour traffic! Thats a good way to get the juices running if you are tired!

Edited by clanceycl, Jan 12, 2004 @ 10:10 AM.

missknowitall

missknowitall

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 10:29 AM

I have been boycotting this show for months and I'm not going to start back watching yet either, but I did tune it last night and the episode was fabulous. Didn't much care for the ending but in true DEK fashion, the innocent clients must of course spend time in jail. I was surprised they didn't consider a civil suit against the police.
Steve Harris definitely put on an emmy worthy performance, too bad this show is too in the dumps for anyone to notice. I suppose I am in the minority because although I do like James Spader I don't like the way he has become the show and was nice (for me, anyways) for him to have more of a backseat role in this episode.

sakana1

sakana1

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 12:16 PM

Man, parts of that were like the terrorism West Wing-- lecture much? I even agree with the POV they were pushing, and it was still bugging me. Eleanor's speech at the end made me cringe, as did the preview for next week (though that was just because the writing was horrible, not preach-y). DEK doesn't actually write this stuff anymore, does he?

ChunkeeMunkee

ChunkeeMunkee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:11 PM

So they did the big emotional scene with the widow of the cop, the DA promised her that the guy wouldn't go free, and then he turns around and offers 6 months? Color me confused, but I just didn't get it.

Thank goodness for the Spader's comedic relief. While Eugene always looks like he's about to spontaneously combust, Alan is always at ease. They play nicely off of each other. The rest of the cast? Dump 'em. Now.

fonemonkey

fonemonkey

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 2:28 PM

So they did the big emotional scene with the widow of the cop, the DA promised her that the guy wouldn't go free, and then he turns around and offers 6 months? Color me confused, but I just didn't get it.

That got me, too. The cops would never stand for such a little slap on the wrist. Of course they KNEW they didn't really have a case, but I was waiting for the REAL reason they were trying so hard to pin the shooting on this kid. Something like one of the other cops was the shooter, something like that. They never explored who the real killer was, or why.

kelmeister

kelmeister

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 3:03 PM

The thing I loved most about this scene was it was obvious he didn't know the widow from Adam...telling Eugene he knew the cop personally, and his widow, and his two kids, and then in his office he says to her, "You may not remember but we met once." Ugh, pissed me off.

But back to the trial, I was of the opinion that they could have won. The police shot an unarmed suspect who was surrendering, they tortured him into giving a statement (with a record filed with the FBI), all hosts of constitutional violations...

BUT, if what the guy said was true, he was breaking parole AND would have been found intoxicated, possibly with drugs on him--even if they had dropped the shooting charge, he probably would have gotten a longer than six months sentence for the parole violations. Or I could be totally wrong.

Edited by kelmeister, Jan 12, 2004 @ 3:04 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 3:25 PM

Something like one of the other cops was the shooter, something like that. They never explored who the real killer was, or why.

Yeah, I thought it might have been his partner because she kept looking guilty. I mean it could have been guilt over the shooting and not backing up her partner but I thought it could hae been her.

Though I mean the entire thing was ridiculous, I have no problem thinking that the Police could torture a suspect but in a hospital? With a gazillion other witnesses and after his lawyers showed up, I mean are they the stupidest cops in the world, forget the criminal charges that is a civil suit that could bring down the department.

Tchr Tchr ID Claire

Tchr Tchr ID Claire

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 4:03 PM

I have no problem thinking that the Police could torture a suspect but in a hospital

Really?

dalek

dalek

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 5:05 PM

I have no problem thinking that the Police could torture a suspect but in a hospital

Really?

You've never heard of Abner Louima?

I thought the reaction ofthe Feds was somewhat unrealistic. Even assuming you couldn't get the FBI interested, I would assume the Justice Dept. Civil Rights Division would be interested. There's a section set up that handles nothing but civil rights cases against cops.

Yeah, I was wondering about this too. Does accepting a plea compromise his ability to win a lawsuit against the city?

Yes and no. It means you can't sue for false arrest. However, you could still sue for excessive force. I'd go with a federal section 1983 lawsuit alleging 4th, 5th, 6th and 14th amendment violations.

Edited by dalek, Jan 12, 2004 @ 5:10 PM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 5:19 PM

You've never heard of Abner Louima?

Exactly. Why does DEK have to stack everything in the firm's favor. That part of the storyline would have been much more convincing if they had taken the kid to the police station and denied him medical treatment. However, in addition the other witnesses they also opened the hospital to lawsuits which means chances are one or more of the doctors would have objected to his not being allowed treatment and I don't think it would be difficult to find numerous witnesses to testify in a civil case.

royvac

royvac

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 5:30 PM

You know, I really like this show and I have no problem abandoning reality when watching a TV show. Last night I felt that they thought the audience was just really stupid. Torturing a man in a hospital with the staff just standing there with there arms crossed, not reacting. (We know from ER that would never happen :)

A six month sentence for a cop killer!? The outrage from the community alone would be a story in itself.

Breaking into a Judges home to get a signature. (although Allen,as usual, was really cute while doing this)

The only redeeming thing in the episode was Eugenes passionate arguments. Steve Harris is wonderful at this.

Eugene and Allen are the only reason to watch this thing. Soon even they won't be enough.

Bigwheels1971

Bigwheels1971

Fanatic

• Interests:Reading (especially mysteries & autobiographies), acting, swimming, listening to music, the Internet

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 6:41 PM

[/QUOTE]You've never heard of Abner Louima?[QUOTE]

I haven't Who is he?

ETA: Thanks biakbiak

Edited by Bigwheels1971, Jan 13, 2004 @ 12:25 AM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2004 @ 6:52 PM

Abner Louima was a Haitian immigrant who was assaulted (including being sodomized by a broom handle) by a New York police officer while others watched in the bathroom of their precinct.

Edited by biakbiak, Jan 12, 2004 @ 6:53 PM.