Little House on the Prairie: Pa, Ma and That Mime That Raped Sylvia

• Please log in to reply

54082 replies to this topic

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 12:20 PM

Because it looks like he wasn't quite done when they took him out of the oven and stood him up. The middle of his lip looks like it's dripping.

EllenOlenska

EllenOlenska

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 8:15 PM

My fellow Jezebels, someone actually wigged out about the title of this forum. Clearly they never watched LHOP or they'd truly understand.

http://208.71.46.190...bh1uZkhi1PAsEqw--

Yes, someone thought the forum title was mocking/condoning rape.

EllenOlenska

EllenOlenska

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 8:39 PM

by the way, I too remembered a Sylvia recap but I think it was not on this site. There are some hilarious recaps of the blind school burning and the nightmares it induced, and a short Sylvia recap here and a few others scattered around which reference the horror of the mime during family viewing hour. One recapper put it best, saying that because of the lack of internet, spoilers, etc at the time, most families just tuned in those weeks expecting another heartwarming saga or moral lesson, and just when you were feeling safe it was BBR, or Thylvia or the stagecoach of doom...

no one even touches on Mr Edwards. I think that just goes too, too, deep into many a 35-55 year olds psyche...

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 9:04 PM

I think before you got close enough to touch on Mr. Edwards the smell would send you running faster than Mary leaving a burning blind school with her baby inside.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 9:50 AM

All I got was a link to Yahoo search.

DoughGirl

DoughGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 10:10 AM

by the way, I too remembered a Sylvia recap but I think it was not on this site. There are some hilarious recaps of the blind school burning and the nightmares it induced, and a short Sylvia recap here and a few others scattered around which reference the horror of the mime during family viewing hour. One recapper put it best, saying that because of the lack of internet, spoilers, etc at the time, most families just tuned in those weeks expecting another heartwarming saga or moral lesson, and just when you were feeling safe it was BBR, or Thylvia or the stagecoach of doom...

no one even touches on Mr Edwards. I think that just goes too, too, deep into many a 35-55 year olds psyche...

Just read the Thylvia recap and have to agree with one of the comments. Laura grows up overnight, bun of maturity, etc. and Albert and Willie are still in grammar school. She wasn't that much older was she? Even after she's had Rose, Manly's stroke, the Ingalls move to the city and Albert and Willie are STILL in grammar school. Willie was supposed to be dumb but Albert was always the smartest kid in school. It wasn't until he was croaking that they finally let him start college.

Another thing that bugs me is in The Little House Years where Laura reads from her remembrance book she supposedly started before they leave Wisconsin. So what if she couldn't spell April or only wrote "We go today" because in Country Girls she can't even read or write yet.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 10:42 AM

They didn't have "grammar school" or high school or junior high, except when a particular script called for it.  They had one room with all grades in Walnut Grove.  Allegedly, Charles and Caroline went to high school in WI, but I'm skeptical.

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 11:12 AM

most families just tuned in those weeks expecting another heartwarming saga or moral lesson

Oh, there were moral lessons in Thylvia:  If you don't hide your boobs, you will die.

And BBR: In an emergency, if you stop to help someone else, you will die.

The BBR lesson was especially "heartwarming". It also warmed all off Alice's other parts.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 11:46 AM

Oh. right. I remember Bunny coming back home...and then Pa shoots her. WTF? 

Laura rode Bunny into a barbed wire fence. Her visiting grandfather who was there gave her an Important Life Lesson about life and death.

Was this the ep in which Pa brought his mother-in-law home in a box in his wagon?

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 11:50 AM

No, but they were part of the same series of shows, that taught us "Never Invite Grandparents to Visit".  Not to be confused with other theme shows that teach us "Don't Buy Discount Mutton", "What Popcorn is Really For" etc.  

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 12:34 PM

Posted Today, 12:46 PM

Oh. right. I remember Bunny coming back home...and then Pa shoots her. WTF? 

Laura rode Bunny into a barbed wire fence. Her visiting grandfather who was there gave her an Important Life Lesson about life and death.

Yes, that's right.  

The saga of Bunny began in season 1's "Christmas at Plum Creek", otherwise known as the Ingalls-Rip-Off-O'Henry.  While Mary & Ma sew competing flannel shirts and Carrie pays a penny for a star, Laura trades Bunny to Mr. Oleson in order to get a stove for Ma, not knowing Pa was ordering one for her anyway.  Bunny disappears, but not in the way a good tertiary horse does.

She re-emerges in season three's "Bunny", throwing Nellie off after blatant mistreatment.  Though Nellie is only banged up a bit, she feigns paralysis, causing Mrs. Oleson to blame Laura who accepted guilt because...reasons?  Seriously, Laura blamed herself for everything that happened on this show.  

By the end of the episode, Laura proved that Nellie was faking the whole time and Oleson gave the horse back.  

The next episode, "The Race" pitted Nellie against Laura in the Founder's Day race.  Mrs. Oleson bought a thoroughbred and sat Willie on it in order to beat Laura.    Because this show is not "Little Mercantile on the Prairie", Laura won anyway.

Three episodes later, the two-part episode "Journey in the Spring" chronicled Grandpa Ingalls's trip to Walnut Grove after losing his wife, having Alice Garvey for a daughter-in-law, Sarek for a son, sinking into depression and setting his house on fire.  Spending time with Laura pulled him out of it, but the relationship is TV-Troped- damaged when Bunny was injured by a surprise barbed wire fence along Laura's usual riding path.  Grandpa foolishly promised that Bunny would be alright, but Pa was smarter and had to shoot the horse.  Yadda yadda, Laura got mad, blamed Grandpa, Grandpa TARA, climbed up a mountain, met Ernest Borgnine...oops, I meant he walked himself right into a lake and had to be rescued by a newbie swimmer....oops, no he tried to hop a train, got thrown off and then they all reconciled, the end.

Edited by PJWatcher, Apr 9, 2014 @ 2:17 PM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 2:05 PM

Didn't he try to immoliate himself?

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 2:18 PM

Yes, he did.  Edited to include the depression-fueled fire.  Thanks!

DoughGirl

DoughGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 2:34 PM

They didn't have "grammar school" or high school or junior high, except when a particular script called for it.  They had one room with all grades in Walnut Grove.  Allegedly, Charles and Caroline went to high school in WI, but I'm skeptical.

Me too.

Whatever they called it, it seems pretty pointless for Albert to still be doing the same addition, 14 carry a 1, problems as little (obnoxious) Jason Carter. No wonder he got hooked on morPHINE. He was probably bored out of his mind. And Willie should have been working at the store by then.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 6:39 PM

At least on Walton's Mountain, the teacher assigned different groups to work on different things at their desks while she taught.  I don't know how they tuned out the teaching to do their work.

DoughGirl

DoughGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 7:27 AM

Going by thier real life ages, Laura is two years older that Albert. If Laura married at 17, since Pa shaved off a year, then got pregnant, nine months, all the time going by while Manly recovered from his stroke, she should have been at least going on 20 in the Home Again episode which puts Albert about 18. It seems rediculous to put him back in the Walnut Grove school. He could have been working with Charles and Edwards. And working to help out in the city if he wasn't in college. Of course he was addicted to morPHINE. And when arrested for stealing in the city he'd probably be sent to jail at that age rather than juvenile detention.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 8:30 AM

They tinkered with ages a bit on this show.  Not to the extreme that "The Waltons" did, thankfully.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 9:31 AM

What does Popcorn mean, from a previous post?  And BRR?

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 11:04 AM

Popcorn refers to the number of times that the women of Walnut Grove sit in bed and eat popcorn with their husbands laying right there.  It's also a euphemism for sex.

BBR= Baby Battering Ram, a morbid reference to baby Adam Charles Holbrook Kendall, last seen alive in the arms of Alice Garvey as she tried to break a window in the Blind School to escape.  The scene looks very much like Alice is using the arm she's holding the baby in to bust the window.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 12:36 PM

Give it to her straight PJ.  It looks like Alice is using the baby as a battering ram to smash the window.  This, on top of the ridiculousness that is Mary putting the baby down in his bassinet and getting out of the house herself, makes this one of our favorite episodes.

Maherjunkie

Maherjunkie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 1:06 PM

No wonder MSA won't go to the reunions, she can't face the heat again.

Googzuki

Googzuki

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 8:10 PM

Shutting down the forum AND not allowing even archival access to the public is like figuratively burning down Walnut Grove at the end of the series.

I very rarely post but I've enjoyed reading the snark. Not even popcorn can cheer me up. I'm going to TARA to previously.tv, too. 

VCRTracking

VCRTracking

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 2:44 AM

Before catching reruns of Battlestar Galactica and Bonanza, Lorne Greene was the guy in the Alpo dog food commercials to me. Here he is with his TV son's TV daughter Melissa Gilbert in a 1978 commercial. Funny seeing her with her Laura Ingalls braids but in bell bottoms.

Edited by VCRTracking, Apr 12, 2014 @ 2:47 AM.