Little House on the Prairie: Pa, Ma and That Mime That Raped Sylvia

• Please log in to reply

54082 replies to this topic

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:18 AM

There you go again, sgittinger, trying to lead our new Jezebel astray. Welcome, TheSol, please don't hesitate to claim Percival, but hands off My Manly, and we'll get along fine.

Kleinhaus

Kleinhaus

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

Hi, I'm new here so I will be quick and see if this post is accepted. Discovered this forum a few days ago and laughed so hard I couldn't hold my cat. I have done the good 15 thing and checked to see my comments hadn't been already rehashed. My problem with LHOTP are the laughable historical innacuracies. I think the first clip I ever saw was Laura ambling down the rickety ladder only to deposit birthday presents on the table wrapped in Hallmark paper and that curly ribbon you do the scissors thing with.

Was ML such a visionary that he foresaw the day when the Hallmark Channel would make everyone rich with reruns? Another transgression for the History Police should be that awful "rufflette" green curtain hanging in the back of the school/church. In closeups, you can even see the plastic thingies that attach the round perfect wooden rings to the curtain rod. I thought everything on the prairie was made of flour sacking, not pleating tape. So, I think there should be a new drinking game -- obvious anachronisms! But we'd get too drunk.

Edited by Kleinhaus, May 4, 2012 @ 4:06 PM.

SuspiciousMind

SuspiciousMind

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

Welcome, Kleinhaus, and get outta my head! I was just thinking of this very topic after reading Prisspot's book not too long ago (she mentions how they were not supposed to use the word "okay", for example). Other than ML referring to himself as "Daddy" in one very latter-day epi (I believe he's talking to Baby Grace) and seeing obvious tire tracks during the "trying to catch the runaway hot air balloon" portion of that epi, I can't think of too many that have stood out to me, but I KNOW everyone on this thread has eagle eyes! I will admit to even looking to see if I might see a random electrical outlet or such on any of the sets, but I haven't seen one yet. By and large (hush), I think they tried to do a good job in this regard, making it all the more fun to spot the errors.

ETA: Rereading my post, I guess I'm speaking more of nitpick issues rather than the copious, copious historical inaccuracies, but both are damn fun to spot!!

Edited by SuspiciousMind, May 4, 2012 @ 9:04 AM.

Shakespearette

Shakespearette

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

Welcome to our new friends, TheSol and Kleinhaus. Don't listen to prairiegal - she is always more than happy to share Manly with everyone. Now as for Adam, there is more than enough of him to go around but I refuse to share him. Anyone who wishes to challenge me, I will lock in the icehouse.

"Come Let Us Reason Together" was on last night, and I have just one thing to say: BEEEEEENJJJJAAAAAAAAMMMMIIIIIN!

Rereading my post, I guess I'm speaking more of nitpick issues rather than the copious, copious historical inaccuracies, but both are damn fun to spot!!

I have so much stinking fun watching LH and catching errors. I think it makes me love the show even more.

Kleinhaus

Kleinhaus

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys! I can almost feel those trees rustling in southern Calfiornia, er, I mean Walnut Grove. Well, I do a have a shopping list of really out of time sync stuff, but I will post these items sparingly. How about that episode "The Little Hi on the Prairie 25th Renion". (Or something like it). While kids from 6 months to thirty attend the very quaint Walnut Grove schoolhouse, somehow by smoke signals or tom toms, Pa and Ma are summoned to their Class of 1860 Prairie Hi ( GO SODBUSTERS!) 25th reunion. Right. Pa was of course captain of the pigbladderball team and Ma was head cheerleader and Yearslate Editor. And I am amazed at all their wealthy and well heeled classmates who have managed to escape plague, drought, crop failure, rape by mimes and poverty by adopting too many kids. To say nothing of having to live near the Olesons.

But actually the worst part of this episode is not the absurd premise of the 25th Reunion, but the subplot of the rich unhappy woman (she didn't make student council) with the alcoholic husband and who is hot for Pa. The husband is evidently an alchoholic because he never acheived fame in life as he had as the hero quarterback of the pigsbladderball team. He just married Student Council Flunkie because of her family's money.

In the end, Pa cures the drunk husband and he and Ma head for home with the reunion goodie bags for the kids. As you can tell, this is my favorite ep.

Edited by Kleinhaus, May 5, 2012 @ 3:06 PM.

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

Discovered this forum a few days ago and laughed so hard I couldn't hold my cat.

I'm just sitting here wondering if "hold my cat" is a euphamism. ;)

I have done the good 15 thing and checked to see my comments hadn't been already rehashed.

No worries (and welcome!). We are all always happy to rehash things over and over. We especially love the peanut butter on Wonder bread sandwiches they eat, and Mary's plastic barrettes. And don't get us started on age discrepancies or weather inconsistencies!

Kleinhaus

Kleinhaus

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

Nah, Charlieboo. I was being entirely literal. Ms. Growley loves to sit on my lap when I am on the computer. But DOES NOT like it when I laugh! She will soon know the signs when I start reading this forum. Was there ever a cat character on LH?

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

Well, they played Pussy in the Corner.
And Nellie had no muff.

But I think that's as close as they got.

Shakespearette

Shakespearette

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

Let's not forget the black cat in "DOS, DOS" that Laura risked her life to save. Laura loved that cat so much that she risked being buried under half the barn, yet she couldn't give that poor pussy a name.

ETA: And of course the cat named "Pepper" in the Great Gambini, the one that Willie tried to turn into a feline cannonball. But he didn't succeed; he only succeeded in burning Mrs. Oleson's muff.

Edited by Shakespearette, May 4, 2012 @ 1:50 PM.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Pa and Ma are summoned to their 1860 Prairie Hi ( GO SODBUSTERS!) 25th reunion. Right. Pa was of course captain of the pigbladderball team and Ma was head cheerleader and Yearslate Editor.

Kleinhaus, you are going to fit in here just fine.

Of course all the classmates were rich. Some of them actually worked at jobs for more than a couple weeks at a time. Pa was too busy poking his nose in everybody else's business to actually take care of his farm or expand the little house. Although that meant the classmates had to be completely unhappy. Because money = unhappiness, while poor = laps of love.

Kleinhaus

Kleinhaus

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

Uh, oh, cat's gonna bolt. Y'all are just too funny. Before turning in I will post today's last musing. Does anyone else think that 'tard's cloth doll is the forerunner of Bride of Chucky? For people who have to sell the Oleson's their eggs below price, how did they afford this abomination straight off the container from the far east? At least roll the poor thing in the mud with Nellie so it looks played with! Sorry, but with a whole group of actors and crew, couldn't someone notice that this Toys for Tots reject just doesn't jive with the sunbonnets and bedcaps and worn leather shoes? Guess this is why Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman had a staff to keep a reasonable lid on what would have been authentic for the time and what was not. (Though they did sneak in some Laura Ashley apron material!)

Edited by Kleinhaus, May 5, 2012 @ 4:41 PM.

sgittinger

sgittinger

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

In real life, there was Black Susan. You know, the cat they just left to fend for herself in the big woods. Animal rights activists, they were not.

TheSol

TheSol

Just Tuned In

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I have no interest in Manly/Almanzo. It's Zaldamo that has my heart. One thing that has always bugged me is the signs of the restaurant. Even after Nellie took it back and even after Ma and Pa fled to the city for the New Beginning Years, the name of the restaurant is Caroline's half the time. The other half of the time it is Nellie's, even though she isn't there anymore. I especially love the way it changes mid-episode!

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

TheSol, I have some cinnamon chicken that I made just for you and "Zaldamo". What are friends for?
And the window lettering changed to "Caroline's" in He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not", but the sign on the front of the building remained "Nellies". In the New Bonginning year, Willie took over the business, so shouldn't the sign have been changed again to "Willie's"?

..you may all write your own jokes..

Edited by prairiegal, May 4, 2012 @ 11:40 PM.

Kleinhaus

Kleinhaus

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

So the weeds need killing and the cat needs new litter but I find I am powerless to do anything but peruse some of the 3500!! pages of this site. To think what I have missed all these years. Must be a ML curse from the grave to punish me for avoiding this series whenever possible. I have even moved to different countries to spare myself all the tears but to no avail. The curse catches up with me and finds someone to translate LH in the language of the country to which I have fled.

So now that I am becoming more familiar with the posts and the overwhelming devotion to LH, why has there not been a "Little House on the Prairie Scary Date Movie" ? Probably a different ML curse from the grave about legalities. Actually, it could be titled "Date with the Little Scary Prairie House" for marketing reasons.

There could even be a segment done in French. Trust me, you haven't seen anything until you see Nellie have a French tantrum. Merde, alors, et ferme ta gueule!

Edited by Kleinhaus, May 5, 2012 @ 10:10 AM.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

Kleinhaus, do they translate Harriet's teaching of French? "Uh, Duh, TWAH!"

And I'm glad you have your cap set for Zalmado, because hands off my Doc Baker. Hiram and I go a long way back, and I'm the only one to whom he loans the Uterine Palpitator™.

Kleinhaus

Kleinhaus

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

Mais non, PrincessLuceval. The French censors made sure the series maintained a proletariat image where the evil petty bourgeoise Mme. 'arriette could not possibly take away a teaching excercise from the 'ardworking citoiyenne Meez Beadle. Mme. 'arriette was uzuallee seated on 'er chaise longe, munching on maple syrup and snow bon bons while shouting orders to 'er 'usband Monsieur Nels. In one famous episode she declared "let zem eat flapjacks". Pear and butter flapjacks zat is.

Pa saved her from being guillotined at Hansen's Saw Mill.

And you confuse me with theSol. I have no lust for Zalmondo. My true crush is Linwood, who managed to protect his brain long enough while doing this series to go on to be involved with Night Court, 3rd Rock and Malcolm.

Edited by Kleinhaus, May 6, 2012 @ 11:04 AM.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

Kleinhaus, you honor us with your visits here. Bonjour! Or is your name "Al-BER"?And nice to see some love for Linwood/Adam. He brought some humor to Adam, which was sorely needed for marriage to Prisspot Mlindy. I love his snarkiness when Mary threw her food:"Let's see if you can eat it without.throwing.it". And, "If you don't learn, I.don't.get.paid".
Oh, he got paid alright...Hours and hours of sucking face in front of his Pa-in-law.

coffeemom

coffeemom

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

Welcome, Kleinhaus, and get outta my head! I was just thinking of this very topic after reading Prisspot's book not too long ago (she mentions how they were not supposed to use the word "okay", for example). Other than ML referring to himself as "Daddy" in one very latter-day epi (I believe he's talking to Baby Grace) and seeing obvious tire tracks during the "trying to catch the runaway hot air balloon" portion of that epi, I can't think of too many that have stood out to me, but I KNOW everyone on this thread has eagle eyes!

mmhmm, I think he just got lazy in a lot of ways in those later years. He also referred to himself as "grampa" a couple of times. Which....is that anachronistic or no? Sounds like it anyhow.

Of course we also have the lovingly feathered and sprayed hair on all the guys. So practical for hard work on a farm, you know. And wasn't there a girl (maybe Melinda/Belinda) who actually had a version of the 80's mall bangs? I might even be thinking of Mary there.

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

I don't think Prisspot ever had bangs (although that dead brown animal on her head when Adam sees her was surely killed with a bang). But she did sport a lovely French manicure, which my research shows was all the rage among poor, mline, 19th century teachers on the prairie.

Kleinhaus

Kleinhaus

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

Another post to mention an anachronism (must think of a better word). This should award extra shots for the drinking game. In the ep which so far has annoyed me the most, the "Loch Ness Monster Terrorizes the Little House on the Lake" there is a set of that white painted wrought iron southern plantation lawn furniture outside the lake shack.

I'm sure y'all remember that scene in GONE WITH THE WIND when Hattie McDaniel says to Vivien Leigh, "Miz Scahlett, Miz Scahlett, those damn yankee carpetbaggers from Minnesota just done stole all our lawn fuhnituh! Wher ya gonna set now with y'alls mint juleps?

"Oh, Fiddle dee dee, Mammy, how come you know those scallawags were from Minnehoohoo or wherever the f$&@?"

"Becauz, Miz Scahlett, they done left crusts from their pear and butter samwiches all over the lawn which the goat just mowed. And that dang goat won't even eat 'em!"

Now even Mrs. Bridges' sister shoulda known someone in the LH prop department was smoking some of that funny prairie weed.

Gotta go now and take care of that kitty litter. Cat is wearing a gas mask.

ETA: Maybe the wrought iron "ensemble" wasn't actually a time transgression, but it sure looked odd in that setting. Like if Ma and Pa sipped their Chateau Lafitte Moonshine from Waterford goblets.

Edited by Kleinhaus, May 7, 2012 @ 8:40 AM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:38 AM

ANYWAY, unfortunately aside from the name of the game and the artwork, the theme has very little to do with LHOP. No Thylvia, no Prisspot, no DripLip, etc. Still though, hopefully the links work, and if not, visit boardgamegeek.com, which has a better description.

Those links didn't seem to work, but was that one of those themed Monopoly games?

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

In real life, there was Black Susan. You know, the cat they just left to fend for herself in the big woods. Animal rights activists, they were not.

Well, that shouldn't be surprising, given what happened to Jack on the way to Kansas.(I'm sure they considered Black Susan a "working animal" like they did Jack, with the job of ridding vermin.)And she did pretty good for herself, as she was still alive in BTSOSL, still living at the old homestead, "sleek and plump from rats she caught."

Kleinhaus

Kleinhaus

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

Cat is breathing normally now. But those weeds are getting dangerous so I'll be quick. In spot reading various posts on this forum, I came across one which suggested there should be a World Sylvia Day. Sorry, didn't mark it and searching it would take longer than writing this. But you get the gist. Well, good news friends! Although not a "world" day, I am happy to report there is a French National Sylvia Day. It is July 15th, the day following the famous Bastille Day. They figured while citoyens were still in the mood to throw flour and wear those executioner 's hats, they would combine the two national fetes. After all, it is what they do best, take days off. As a result of the grand success of Petite Maison sur la Prairie in France (well, they liked Jerry Lewis, didn't they?) Sylvie Day is on the calendar. But unlike you cretins, they revere Sylvie. In some sort of atonement for having created mime in the first place, they take this day very seriously. And they certainly don't make fun of her lisp. Because even if they wanted to, the French don't do the " th" sound. It comes out "z". Sort of a lisp in reverse but you would have to be French to get the subtlety.

So if you are lucky enough to be in the land of the Gauls in mid-July, check out the celebrations. And I would suggest avoiding Paris. Travel out to one of those quaint little villages, like Verger de Noix. Every year they elect a "Sylvie" to do the re-enactment. But they have toned it down a bit so les enfants aren't traumatized. Sylvie meerly closes her eyes lovingly and thinks of Napoleon.
Grabbing that Round-Up and I'm outta here.

ThemsSnails

ThemsSnails

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

I don't think Prisspot ever had bangs

I don't think so either. Had she gotten banged once in a while she wouldn't be such a bitter harpy Prisspot.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

Wow, maybe that's why Book!Laura wanted the "Lunatic Fringe". She wanted bangs when she went sleigh riding with Manly.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]

It comes out "z". Sort of a lisp in reverse but you would have to be French to get the subtlety.

[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial,]Zee lithp in reverth? I am descended from zee French.[/font]

charlieboo

charlieboo

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Another post to mention an anachronism (must think of a better word)

Landonisms?

Now even Mrs. Bridges' sister

kleinhaus, may I say how much I adore you for making that association?

ThemsSnails

ThemsSnails

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

She wanted bangs when she went sleigh riding with Manly.

Don't you want bangs when you take your sleigh rides with Manly? (Hey, now that I have Grown Up Tod, Zaldamo is all yours, girl!)

Edited to add: Welcome, Kleinhaus, you fit in wonderfully (shut up!) around here! But take care of that cat – one bad storm and all you'll have left is a cat, a plate, and what was it, a cow??

Edited by ThemsSnails, May 6, 2012 @ 10:03 PM.

jird

jird

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:22 PM

Wasn't it a cat, a plate, and a baby? That's even more useless than a cow! Or a country doctor!